THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355337 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #850 on: 22 Sep 2014, 13:44 »

I have been rereading loads of Junji Ito's work and I forgot how ill it actually makes me feel sometimes. Also reading new stuff I missed before.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.
« Reply #851 on: 22 Sep 2014, 21:18 »

Ironically, considering the title of today's comic, I just started watching Ergo Proxy. Pleasantly surprised so far.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #852 on: 22 Sep 2014, 22:33 »

I have been giving "Grave of the Fireflies" another watch.  A little too depressing, so I guess I'll need something a little more cheerful.  Not sure whether to go through the rest of my Ghibli collection, or watch some really happy shōjo show on Crunchyroll.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #853 on: 25 Sep 2014, 06:16 »

The full OP for Hanayamata complete with a live action music video and cosplay!

For comparison and an excuse to listen to the song again/compare coreography.

There's another one for Invaders of the Rokujouma...

and the normal OP

This kinda makes my day. More live action anime music videos!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #854 on: 25 Sep 2014, 07:45 »

Someone at work recognised the Evangelion desktop images on my computer, and said he has the whole series and films - maybe for the first time I have someone to talk about it with in real life!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #855 on: 25 Sep 2014, 07:51 »

Has the 3rd installation of the Evangelion remakes come out yet?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #856 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:23 »

I've had the Japanese BD for eighteen months.  The French, Italian Spanish and German dubs came out around last Christmas (some with appalling picture quality, though).  The English dub was screened briefly at that time and scheduled for release last February; but the Japanese blocked it, and have been taking an active part in having the dub revised (we know Spencer rerecorded some stuff in August), and are possibly also going to provide the English subtitles.  There has been no new release date, but recently there was a hint that there would be news about it "soon".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #857 on: 25 Sep 2014, 15:14 »

The trouble with living down here where I am is that there's frak all in the way of Anime available in my local area.  It wasn't always the case, a franchise called The Gamesman used to carry Anime, but EA brought out the franchise and stopped them carrying them.  I've yet to find a new location locally, and I simply can't afford the cost of buying them from overseas.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #858 on: 25 Sep 2014, 15:36 »

That's weird, considering you're much closer to Japan than America or England... I mostly stream mine, but I do borrow a lot of DVDs from friends, so I can see how that would really suck not having access to buying it.

There has been no new release date, but recently there was a hint that there would be news about it "soon".

T-T

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #859 on: 25 Sep 2014, 16:57 »

Define "come out".  Officially in English, I don't think so.  Do I have an HD fansub sitting on my computer right now?  Yes.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #860 on: 25 Sep 2014, 17:44 »

The trouble with living down here where I am is that there's frak all in the way of Anime available in my local area.  It wasn't always the case, a franchise called The Gamesman used to carry Anime, but EA brought out the franchise and stopped them carrying them.  I've yet to find a new location locally, and I simply can't afford the cost of buying them from overseas.

You might want to look into crunchyroll and other on the up and up streaming services Kugai. That might be able to do more for you then purchasing physical copies right now.

That's weird, considering you're much closer to Japan than America or England... I mostly stream mine, but I do borrow a lot of DVDs from friends, so I can see how that would really suck not having access to buying it.

Not too weird when you think about it. Just because a nation is close doesn't mean there's a market enough for an importer to be doing the leg work of bringing product in, or companies interested enough to do their own distribution. America is a MASSIVE market for anime which is why Funimation and other companies do what they do here.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #861 on: 25 Sep 2014, 19:24 »

Good point.

Define "come out".  Officially in English, I don't think so.  Do I have an HD fansub sitting on my computer right now?  Yes.

As in be available on BluRay. Because we were borrowing them from a friend, although I don't think I'd mind adding them to our slowly growing collection.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #862 on: 25 Sep 2014, 20:00 »

Well, I was watching in 1080p.  Without giving too much away, awesome beginning and ending, but the middle was a touch slow, given how much had changed/was going on.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #863 on: 25 Sep 2014, 23:13 »

I am actually beginning to look into that GM.
James The Kugai 

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #864 on: 25 Sep 2014, 23:25 »

I am actually beginning to look into that GM.
In addition to what GM said, there's always using a VPN with a US exit to be able to access the US version of Netflix.  Even if you only get a 6Mbps plan, that'd give you between 720p and 1080p streaming from their library as well, and they have older titles that CR usually doesn't have.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #865 on: 26 Sep 2014, 00:47 »

I barely consider the location of  the places I buy anime. I have a number of DVDs that could only be got from Australia, for instance. But the place that is slowest and most expensive shipping to me in the UK is consistently the US.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #866 on: 26 Sep 2014, 01:41 »

A mix of both is quite nice. CR has it's free option, though I admittedly pay because I don't like waiting a week for episodes and like supporting the industry.

As an American I'm quite spoiled (that's getting quoted out of context) for anime purchase options. The second hand market is massive, and there's even local places like Rainy Day Anime that carry rare or older pieces, that's of course in addition to conventions.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #867 on: 13 Oct 2014, 01:28 »

Watched an episode of Cowboy Bebop in the anime club with the students on Friday. Discovered it's pretty much the best thing ever.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #868 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:19 »

It's an amazing series, the writing, the characters, the soundtrack, etc.  Wolf's Rain was also by the main writer for Bebop, and has the same composer.  And both the creator of Bebop and Yoko Kanno did Kids from the Slope.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #869 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:54 »

Mawaru Penguindrum.  If you don't know it, watch it.  Shouma Takakura is the most tragic figure in all anime, not even excepting Shinji.
(click to show/hide)
Directed and written by the same guy as Utena.

Wolf's Rain doesn't compare with Cowboy Bebop.  It's good, but it's also very badly flawed.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #870 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:59 »

It's an amazing series, the writing, the characters, the soundtrack, etc.  Wolf's Rain was also by the main writer for Bebop, and has the same composer.  And both the creator of Bebop and Yoko Kanno did Kids from the Slope.

The soundtrack is amazing, the animation is fantastic (stylish but doesn't turn me off in the way a lot of anime does), the storyline is compelling, it's not 400 years long so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time getting into it, and it manages to have both dark and funny moments without the wrenching tonal shifts that make me hate Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood more every time I watch it.

It's just fucking awesome, and heavily reminiscent of Transmetropolitan.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #871 on: 13 Oct 2014, 11:11 »

I have yet to meet someone who dislikes Cowboy Bebop

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #872 on: 13 Oct 2014, 13:44 »

It's the anime gateway drug.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #873 on: 16 Oct 2014, 20:06 »

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #874 on: 17 Oct 2014, 11:44 »

No.
James The Kugai 

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #875 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:25 »

I loved the GitS anime, and I think it's one of those that could translate to a great movie(s), but likely wont..

Also, about whitewashing.. The story is firmly set in Japan and the locales are very important because of the political plot, so white actors would be pretty odd when considering that. That said, not a single member of the main cast, except maybe Aramaki and Saito look even slightly Japanese to begin with, so..

In general, I think anime/manga adaptions is kind of an odd place to talk about whitewashing, since the whole genre is basically "whitewashed" to begin with..
I dunno..

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #876 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:27 »

I'm not that worried about Scarlett playing Motoko, since I liked her as Black Widow.  What I'm more concerned about is the adaptation of an anime series into a live action movie.  Historically, that has not worked out very well.  *coughcoughDragonballZcoughcough*  *CoughcoughAvatarthelastairbendercoughcough* (Though this one is technically not an anime)
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #877 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:31 »

The Matrix was in it's essential bits a GITS homage and it was live action. If the Wachowski siblings had the helm I'd be more enthusiastic...

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #878 on: 17 Oct 2014, 19:12 »

It has the director from Snow White and the Huntsman. In which everything except maybe the evil queen completely sucked. MEH. And while I don't mind Johannson as an actress, I don't really see her in that role.

And I agree, if it were being done by people like the Wachowskis, I would be interested.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #879 on: 17 Oct 2014, 19:44 »

I think the Russo brothers (The Winter Soldier) could be an interesting choice.
I dunno..

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #880 on: 18 Oct 2014, 14:13 »

James The Kugai 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #881 on: 20 Oct 2014, 00:16 »

Fun fact:The main song from the Ghost In the Shell movie is a wedding song. Consider the rest of the movie. Now think that through.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #882 on: 02 Nov 2014, 08:00 »

So Caspian Sea Monster and I have been watching Fairy Tail this week. I'm going a bit ship crazy (Gray x Juvia, Nastu x Lisanna, Erza x Jellal). However my favorite ship has no chance because the series seems hell bent on het only. Still, I find Levy Macgarden and Lucy Heartfilia to be a great match not to mention they have the brunt of the "Les Yay" moments in the series.
Super-villain in training.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #883 on: 02 Nov 2014, 11:15 »

All Macross, all the time. I know nearly as much about biotechnology as I do about Federation warp drive. Only "nearly" because each new Macross series just makes up new stuff.

I like anime, but I am not really a fan. So I'm aware of most of the big names. I know a lot of fans, so I'm generally familiar with plots and characters. But, aside from Cowboy Bebop, I haven't seen much.

Out of boredom and curiosity, I decided to collect Rebuild of Evangelion. I wish I hadn't.

It's like the Matrix. The first is great, the second is not actually bad, but raises a Huge number of questions. The third is a huge let down that taints everything that came before.

Now I'm not saying Rebuild is that, exactly. The first two are awesome. I know enough about the original to know that the first, and first half of the second are basically a retelling. I know all about NGE 25 and 26, so the action on Shinji's walkman in Rebuild caught my eye.

Like the Matrix, 1.0 and 2.0 were fabulous. I'm an action guy, and I was riveted by a pretty cerebral story. I have to wonder, how different was NGE that people have such disdain for Shinji? The kid's in way over his head.

But like I said, I was pretty familiar with what was going down. So when Shinji's walkman flips form program 26 to 27 I perked up.

I'm sure, somewhere in this thread, this has been covered. But this is my brain dump.

The sixth Angel has to be one of the most epic amine mwcha battles of all time. Absolutely the most epic amine battle of any type, in which none of the combatants moves. It's during this scene that Misato became my favorite anime character, ever.

Asuka comes across as fairly unsympathetic. Knowing why she's the way she is let me ignore that, but I can't imagine how she must seem to someone who has no idea what is going on.

I think Shinji probably seems less pathetic to me because this version seems pretty damned proactive before each of his funks. It's easy to see how his father is playing with his head. Or maybe it's just that Gendo  reminds me of my dad. (No, my father is not an evil bastard. Just distant, harsh, and difficult to understand.)

Still Shinji has an aura of pathetic about him, so when he goes super seijin on the tenth angel, I had to stop the movie and reattach my jaw.

Then 3.0 happened. I like to think of it as You Can(not) have young boys in love. The whole thing seems a bit creepy. Kaworu's affection for Shinji might be real, but it is so over the top, and he obviously has an agenda. At the same time, I don't think it was poorly done. Misato and Rei are probably the only people who ever care about Shinji in any sense other than "we need you to save the world." But neither is equipped to show it. Kaworu seems to be all about Shinji. Overall, it worked as a setup for the climax. It's obvious why Shinji is devoted to him. No one else bothered to explain anything to him.

At the end, however, I'm stuck with the same feeling I had at the end of Matrix: Reloaded. A bunch of questions, and the uneasy feeling that there aren't any answers is store. Like what is the deal with Mari, and where did MMisato get those snazzy duds? How in  hell was all of this perfectly in line with Gendo's plan? (And one-eyed Asuka is an awesome thing. At least now she's got a reason to be so prickly. If you were 28 years old in a permanently 14 year old body, you'd be pissed, too. Unless you were Mari, but I wonder if she isn't more like 44.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #884 on: 03 Nov 2014, 00:58 »

You're meant to feel like that.  You've been taken out of your role as viewer of awesome and placed squarely in Shinji's shoes, with the confusion and dislocation that comes with simply losing fourteen years and then having more shit piled on top.

We have no idea how this will be resolved, of course, and we just have to wait for the next movie (another year or two).  Meantime, some people have written fanfics that pick up from the end of Q.  The best known is called Reticence, and mine (not quite complete, but approaching the end) is called Afterwards - both can be found at http://www.fanfiction.net (Reticence has battles; mine is more psychological).

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #885 on: 03 Nov 2014, 12:55 »

I do feel like it's part of the plan. I just, also, know that the plan--very much like Questionable Content--was not a completed script. I think I would have enjoyed the whole thing more, if I had access to all 4 films when I started.

I definitely understood (an nd agreed with) the storytelling device that made most of 3'0 the story of Shinji's first true love. I knew I was supposed to feel most of what I felt. I guess, if you really boils it down, I was hoping for more insight into the new elements. "Episode 27/28" is still drawing heavily on NGE. The setting has changed, but the major elements haven't. I'm afearred that the minor elements are going to add up to eye candy. I don't mind a mind screwing ending--it wouldn't be Evangelionwithout one. I just want it to be a good one.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #886 on: 03 Nov 2014, 13:01 »

Just rewatched 08th MS Team for the first time in years and it's still my favorite Gundam series, or at least my favorite that they brought state side

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #887 on: 03 Nov 2014, 17:25 »

08th MS Team is nothing but win, whenever Gundam goes gritty it always turns out well.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #888 on: 04 Jan 2015, 14:36 »

Been trying to finish up the Fall season and working through Yosuga no Sora since blitzing through Amagi Brilliant Park in under a day, absolutely charming little anime, with some hilarious bits. (Cute mascot characters talking about their ex-wives, drinking and proclaiming their love for T&A is absolutely hilarious for some reason.)

Yosuga No Sora is... Okay. Kinda weird. Lots of naughty stuff, but very repetitive, not as well designed as other dating sim adaptions that go through the various routes in section. Utena levels of animation reuse, especially in the first episode of each route. Only covers the four main routes, and the maid Makoto in extra episodes that are after the end credits in each episode.

Next on deck? Maken Ki. Which I have been warned about, but it's got what sounds like a decent dub and I want to paint today.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #889 on: 04 Jan 2015, 19:54 »

Got a 30 day trial from Crunchyroll so I'm watching Yowapeda and a few others. Also started the Devil is a Part-Timer and it's oddly fun.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #890 on: 04 Jan 2015, 20:23 »

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica is the other anime I've been watching. A refreshingly proactive main and some kinda alright character design pushes this generic ecchi piece to a slightly higher grade... but it's still what it is.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #891 on: 05 Jan 2015, 04:20 »

So, will I be yelled at if I refer to Avatar as an anime?
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #892 on: 05 Jan 2015, 04:58 »

Yes...ish?

I dunno. That debate's a bloody and violent one and I'd rather not have it here. Personally I don't consider Avater or Legend of Korra anime, and I like both of those cartoons.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #893 on: 05 Jan 2015, 05:53 »

I watched through The Last Airbender and 2/3 of Legend of Korra during the christmas, after seeing all the hype around the series' end.

Personally, I think that if something like Pokémon goes as anime, then Avatar probably should too. I mean, if I didn't know it was western, I would have guessed it was one of those mainstream japanese animes aimed at an international audience.

Anyways, I really liked The Last Airbender. Legend of Korra isn't bad either, but I feel it's a step down. It bothers me that the characters act less mature and drama/conflict/romance is handed more heavy-handed, even though the main cast is older (read: should be more mature). I also liked the adventurous old setting way more than the semi-modern one.

Korra is a pretty great character tho, as long as she's kept away from romance arcs.  :roll:
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2015, 05:58 by Edguy »
I dunno..

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #894 on: 05 Jan 2015, 06:16 »

I watch a decent amount of anime, but dislike most of the communities. I continually try to piss off some of my friends by using incorrect terms for anime's. I do have like 120 or so series watcheetched. I would link my mal account, but I'm writing this on my phone and won't have a comp for a few days. I do know that I'm currently finishing up sao, watching log horizon as they come out and the last really good anime I remember finishing was terror in Tokyo.

some comments on the anime some people just posted.

estetica was okay. I liked the premis, it just  didnt seem to go anywhere really... so exactly like most of those types of anime iI guess...

the devil is a part timer was one of my favorite comedies after baka and test and that one anime with all dick joKes that im blanking on atm. Im on vacation and need something to watch in between things, im thinking the new psychopass?
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #895 on: 05 Jan 2015, 12:42 »

I picked up Tsukimonogatari last weekend, and enjoyed it as much as I had expected to (that's to say, a great deal); reminded myself of Hanamonogatari while I was at it.

the last really good anime I remember finishing was terror in Tokyo.

Do you mean Terror in Resonance?  I liked it, but it was patchy and could have been so much better if the plot had a more sensible starting point.

im thinking the new psychopass?

I'm seeing a lot of negative comments about this; just saying (I haven't watched it).

So, will I be yelled at if I refer to Avatar as an anime?

Do you wish to use the word anime as the Japanese do, or as Western otaku do?

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #896 on: 05 Jan 2015, 13:47 »

Well, I'm not from Japan.
I dunno..

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #897 on: 05 Jan 2015, 14:05 »

Korra is a pretty great character tho, as long as she's kept away from romance arcs.  :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lFGlmhjpg
James The Kugai 

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #898 on: 05 Jan 2015, 16:34 »

Do you mean Terror in Resonance?  I liked it, but it was patchy and could have been so much better if the plot had a more sensible starting point.

Yer Kidding!  I actually thought the mystery in the beginning was doing the series a favor, since the plot itself wasn't as interesting as it could have been. 

When they introduced Five, the story took a turn downhill.

Still, the production quality and OST was so fantastic, that it balanced it out for a while.  There were times where the background music was so intriguing that I lost track of what was happening.  Plus it had one of the most iconic scenes of the year.

Is anyone watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso or Parasyte? 
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2015, 16:41 by DavidGrohl »

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #899 on: 05 Jan 2015, 16:45 »

Yeah, that's the one I meant and I agree with David, I hated 5 So much, not because she was the antagonist, but mostly because her character made no sense.

and i did start ppsycho pass 2. I am kinda having a hard time remembering things from the last season, but I do know this season does not have my favorite two characters so its already not as good.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Up