THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355284 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #900 on: 05 Jan 2015, 19:00 »

I'm overly excited for Kantai Collection... that might be added to my cute girls doing war stuff
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #901 on: 05 Jan 2015, 19:29 »

As much as I love Avatar, it is not anime. It originated in the US and did not come from Japan, so it can't be anime, since I think anime specifically refers to Japanese animation. Which is a good thing, because I get the feeling that if Japan had done it, it wouldn't be as...innocent...as it is. I don't really think innocent is the right word, but I feel like it would have been HELLA depressing or really weird somehow. Because that's anime for you!

---

Also, Anohana is possibly the SADDEST THING EVER. Holy shit. It made my husband cry and I have never seen him cry from watching something. We're having a hard time picking a new series to watch because he doesn't want to watch something "with that many feels" so soon after watching that one.

So we're continuing our adventure through Legend of the Galactic Heroes. (Julian just got sent off to Phezzan.) I want something silly to watch that is available on Hulu, as Netflix has the shittiest selection of anime outside of what I've already seen. Something upbeat or just plain ridiculous along the lines of Chuunibyo, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, or Kill la Kill. Don't care if it's violent, so long as it's silly and not depressing as fuck.  Any recommendations?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #902 on: 05 Jan 2015, 19:35 »

Please, there's plenty of "innocent" anime out there.  Many shōjo films and series count.  And yes, I'm using the term "anime" to describe Japanese animation only, and not that of other countries, even if they're in the same style.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #903 on: 05 Jan 2015, 19:41 »

As has been pointed out before, anime isn't a genre or a style. It's the Japanese term for animation, basically. Everything from bad, crudely done children's shows to romantic dramas, historical pieces to science fiction and fantasy has been done as anime. It can't be called a style anymore than you could call everything made in an American movie studio the same genre.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #904 on: 05 Jan 2015, 20:03 »

As much as I love Avatar, it is not anime. It originated in the US and did not come from Japan, so it can't be anime, since I think anime specifically refers to Japanese animation. Which is a good thing, because I get the feeling that if Japan had done it, it wouldn't be as...innocent...as it is. I don't really think innocent is the right word, but I feel like it would have been HELLA depressing or really weird somehow. Because that's anime for you!

---

Also, Anohana is possibly the SADDEST THING EVER. Holy shit. It made my husband cry and I have never seen him cry from watching something. We're having a hard time picking a new series to watch because he doesn't want to watch something "with that many feels" so soon after watching that one.

So we're continuing our adventure through Legend of the Galactic Heroes. (Julian just got sent off to Phezzan.) I want something silly to watch that is available on Hulu, as Netflix has the shittiest selection of anime outside of what I've already seen. Something upbeat or just plain ridiculous along the lines of Chuunibyo, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, or Kill la Kill. Don't care if it's violent, so long as it's silly and not depressing as fuck.  Any recommendations?

I suggest Non Non Byori. It's free on Crunchy Roll for sure. Trigger Warning: Max Diabeetus.

I would make the argument that outside of Japan, anime is commonly used as slang to identify Japanese animation as a group. Scholars who study Japanese pop culture roll with this slang usage even. Yes it's casting a wide net, but if I mention a new show to you as an anime, you will have a better idea about what I'm talking about then if I just mention a new cartoon without using the slang to identify that particular origin. Yes it is slang and not the correct in country/in language use of the word, but that does not mean it's incorrect.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #905 on: 06 Jan 2015, 14:01 »

Silly and not depressing.  Gintama or Daily Lives of High School Boys.  Both are highly entertaining, however, Gintama is a long running show so you'll likely never really finish it.  It is consistently entertaining, mocks anime tropes, and has silly scenes like this.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2015, 14:18 by DavidGrohl »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #906 on: 06 Jan 2015, 15:53 »

I hear Princess Princess is funny. You can find out more yourself. Muwahahah.

There's always Haruhi.

My Choices Are Interfering With My High School Romantic Comedy was amusing to some extent. Needed a bit more funny.

Good Luck Girl is a solid comedy that I adore, and it has a good dub which is always nice.

The recently mentioned Amagi Brilliant Park has some dramatic moments, but it's mostly just hijinks.

Those Who Hunt Elves is hilarious

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #907 on: 06 Jan 2015, 17:58 »

Word floating around there's going to be a live action GiTS

Scarlette Johanssen (sp?) has been linked to it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #908 on: 06 Jan 2015, 18:33 »

Yeah the rumor's been confirmed.

My fanboy rage has been awakened lol.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #909 on: 06 Jan 2015, 20:16 »

The Major is NOT a woman you wanna piss off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj7HTGjAKk
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #910 on: 06 Jan 2015, 21:35 »

Uh huh. I just wish they'd picked an actress who wasn't so... flat. ScarJo's pretty, but I haven't ever seen her in a role with the sheer emotional complexity to portray Major Kusanagi... yes, she's a hardcore, capable badass, but the character is quite introspective and deep, which is what makes GiTS so interesting in the first place. The Major is a vehicle to carry us to some deep philosophical themes, making the major more shallow will only serve to make those themes more shallow, which has the potential to result in an action movie with a Ghost In the Shell coat of paint, but none of what makes it the long running epic it is now.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #911 on: 06 Jan 2015, 21:39 »

You're kidding yourself if you think the movie is going to be anything but action and the occasional explanatory scene.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #912 on: 06 Jan 2015, 21:53 »

GitS shell is going to fail because of the writing and editing, not because of the casting :(
I dunno..

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #913 on: 06 Jan 2015, 22:27 »

It can fail for all three! and beyond!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #914 on: 07 Jan 2015, 00:19 »

I will say i tried Ghost in the Shell so very hard, but the story was so confusing from the start that I could never get myself into it. It's still on my to watch list so hopefully I can get the attention span someday.

Did finish A Certain Magical Index 2... was.... below average. Too many noticable plotholes, ridiculous coincidences and dues ex machina type moments. The Misaka clones are still awesome though.

Oh, thought, my current favorite anime is still listed as Requiem for the Phantom, everyone has called me dumb.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #915 on: 07 Jan 2015, 00:45 »

I am currently staying up in a bid to earn myself a Kantai Collection server spot >.>;

DavidGrohl

« Reply #916 on: 07 Jan 2015, 13:47 »

I will say i tried Ghost in the Shell so very hard, but the story was so confusing from the start that I could never get myself into it.

Understandable.  It does explain things as it goings further on.

I mean, it could be worse.  It could be the plot to Neon Genesis Evangelion, where the writers themselves don't exactly know what's going on.  Oh God, I hate that series.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #917 on: 07 Jan 2015, 14:10 »

I also just have a lot of trouble watching many of the popular, long-running series such as Naruto. I can't get into them and the MC always seems to be my least favorite character (blah blah, doing what's right no matter what, blah blah, girls like me but I can never tell). What I mean is they all seem be overly cliche'd, but I guess that's what makes money. I ranted about stuff that didn't really have to do with GihS... hmm...

I definitely want to try Ghost in the Shell again because so many people seem to love it; I think I just need to get over that initial hump.

In the meantime, having finished A Certain Magical Index 2, I'm onto A Certain Scientific Railgun 2. I may put that on hold to finish the other series that I have on hold though (I have like, 15 "currently watching" shows on MAL account, I'm going to forget the stories for each of them soon...)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #918 on: 07 Jan 2015, 15:09 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #919 on: 08 Jan 2015, 01:04 »

Do you mean Terror in Resonance? [...] could have been so much better if the plot had a more sensible starting point.

Yer Kidding! [...] the plot itself wasn't as interesting as it could have been.

Um, I think we are agreeing, actually.  I just didn't go into specifics.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #920 on: 08 Jan 2015, 01:11 »

We're having a hard time picking a new series to watch because he doesn't want to watch something "with that many feels" so soon after watching that one.  [...]  Something upbeat or just plain ridiculous along the lines of Chuunibyo, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, or Kill la Kill. Don't care if it's violent, so long as it's silly and not depressing as fuck.  Any recommendations?

Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family).  Not dubbed, but an easy watch.

I like the whole -monogatari series - but that is more divisive (exploration of teenage sexuality, very verbally based which makes keeping up with the subtitles really hard - I can't see it ever being dubbed).  Starts with Bakemonogatari, and becomes really controversial for some with Nisimonogatari.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #921 on: 08 Jan 2015, 15:48 »

Korra is a pretty great character tho, as long as she's kept away from romance arcs.  :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lFGlmhjpg

Ok, I just finished the last season today. I'll admit the ending was pretty sweet! Maybe there was a reason the romantic arcs were awkward and heavy-handed..   :lol:

On a related note, is it officially 100 % confirmed that there will not be another Avatar series?

..'cause, y'know, I would probaly watch that!
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2015, 17:39 by Edguy »
I dunno..

DavidGrohl

« Reply #922 on: 09 Jan 2015, 12:46 »

and becomes really controversial for some with Nisimonogatari.

I'm guessing you're referencing the toothbrush scene?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #923 on: 10 Jan 2015, 05:36 »

That's the culmination, but it's not as though that comes out of the blue.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #924 on: 10 Jan 2015, 06:04 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #925 on: 11 Jan 2015, 21:45 »

Junketsu no Maria is another good anime to watch this season.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #926 on: 16 Jan 2015, 23:48 »

My picks for the winter season :

• Assassination Classroom
  • Death Parade
  • Tokyo Ghoul (Season 2)
  • Parasyte (2nd cour)
  • Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (2nd cour)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #927 on: 17 Jan 2015, 13:32 »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #928 on: 17 Jan 2015, 17:29 »

She needs to look more angry!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #929 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:47 »

I just blew a large portion of my paycheck and bought the entirety of Cardcaptor Sakura. Worth it, I have been wanting to rewatch this for years.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #930 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:54 »

I'm rewatching Attack On Titan with my partner and it's so fun watching it with someone who's totally unprepared.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #931 on: 31 Jan 2015, 15:03 »

I recently watched Vision of EscaFlowne (series, not the film), and it went straight into my top five.  Very highly recommended.  Parallels with Evangelion in the way that one protagonist in effect gets to choose the fate of the world.

Now watching Beast Player Erin (Kemono no Souja Erin).  In some respects it's basically a children's anime, but it deals with pretty serious ideas about man and animals.  It's beautiful to watch, all pastels and watercolours.  It starts really slow (it's based on the same books that an on-going manga series is based on, but the anime take seven episodes to reach a point that is part of the first chapter of the manga!), but that's because of gently meticulous world-building.  After the trauma of episodes 6 and 7 (if you keep a dry eye, you're just plain hard-hearted) the pace picks up - but it's never fast moving even so.  Still, the story, the characters, the telling, are all really engaging, and it's going to be only the second four-cour series that I'll have watched complete, the first being FMA (OK third, 'cos I watched both versions of FMA).  If you've got the time, and a degree of patience, don't hesitate.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #932 on: 31 Jan 2015, 15:20 »

I have no idea what's going on with this coming season. Haven't been paying any attention and my to watch list is already really long.... any shows that I HAVE to add to my list this season?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #933 on: 31 Jan 2015, 18:03 »

Paul, Escaflowne was one of the first anime I ever watched and it's still one of my favorites. The mecha designs are by far the best IMO.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #934 on: 01 Feb 2015, 00:53 »

I have no idea what's going on with this coming season. Haven't been paying any attention and my to watch list is already really long.... any shows that I HAVE to add to my list this season?

Death Parade is fun. 

Parasyte and Your Lie in April are both good this season, but are 2nd cour shows from last season.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #935 on: 01 Feb 2015, 03:11 »

and it's going to be only the second four-cour series that I'll have watched complete

A sidetrack here, but what does four-cour mean?
I dunno..

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #936 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:23 »

One cour is a thirteen (or so) week season.  Most series are a multiple of 12 or 13 episodes. Erin is 50 episodes, so four cours.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #937 on: 01 Feb 2015, 09:36 »

Ah, ok!
I dunno..

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #938 on: 01 Feb 2015, 11:57 »

I never heard it put that way, but that makes sense seeing as every show pretty much follows that pattern (or is 6 episodes for 50 minutes each or something).

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #939 on: 05 Feb 2015, 11:36 »

If anyone here likes jazz (or just music in general really), good details in animation, and friendship stories, I highly recommend Kids on the Slope. It's 12 episodes long and is a really good story. I enjoyed it immensely.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #940 on: 05 Feb 2015, 11:57 »

I never heard it put that way, but that makes sense seeing as every show pretty much follows that pattern (or is 6 episodes for 50 minutes each or something).

I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything, but more specifically, a cour refers to a single season of shows.  By season, I mean of the four seasons. 

There is a spring, summer, fall, and winter season for animes.  Thus it's possible that a four cour show could be a year long show with 12 episodes total. 

It is typically 12-13 episodes per cour, though there are many exceptions.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #941 on: 05 Feb 2015, 17:16 »

If anyone here likes jazz (or just music in general really), good details in animation, and friendship stories, I highly recommend Kids on the Slope. It's 12 episodes long and is a really good story. I enjoyed it immensely.

Seconded.  And hardly surprising with Yoko Kanno behind the music, and Shinichiro Watanabe (also of Bebop fame) were responsible.  The two are quite a good teem to have on a show.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #942 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:53 »

I recently finished Beast Player Erin. I could say much more, but really all that needs to be said is that it's marvellous. Yes, it can be slow, and repetitive. But like a Bruckner symphony the cumulative effect is that it builds and builds, inexorably. Just watch it, and your patience will be rewarded.  Oh, and it's beautiful.  And the repetitions are structural, not padding; often the different context throws a new light on them.  Did I say: watch it?

I've said a lot of rude things about Death Note at various times, but people continue to like it.  So I thought I'd give it another chance by watching the films.  I've stopped barely half-way in to the first one, as the more compressed story-telling of the film format just emphasises all the things I didn't like before.  The character of Light is obnoxious from the start, and the story built around him shows no signs of using him to teach us something about the bad side of humanity to justify the series's existence.

In my lunch break today I rewatched Pupa - the whole of it, as it's only 36 minutes (37 with a single OP and ED).  I liked it as much now as when I first saw it, and no less for having read the manga (which has more detail and explanation to the story, but doesn't really add anything essential).  People criticised it for being so brief, but I think the compression only focusses the mind more; I can't imagine it done with even as few as six full-size episodes.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #943 on: 11 Feb 2015, 13:32 »

I can honestly say ive never liked many anime films. They either take too much stuff out so it misses the point or they feel rushed or generic. Having finished over 100 series may have made me jaded though, everything is kind of just blending into each other. Or at least the anime that were made for younger generations in mind, I dont think ive liked anything that didnt have a mature rating lately.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #944 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:40 »

I don't like Death Note either, Paul. Light is freaking annoying.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #945 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:21 »

We've been watching Future Diary in the club with the students. It's pretty good so here's a direct transcription of an episode for you:
(click to show/hide)

The ineffective hero is one of my least favourite tropes in anime, but this guy? As much use as a fart in a wind tunnel.

Aside from that, I love the concept and story so far for the most part, not a huge fan of the animation (I rarely am in this genre) but it does a good job balancing the irreverence from the darkness.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #946 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:25 »

I really liked that show (had to look it up, that's one of the few shows I actually only know from the Japanese name). It's weird and psychotic. Lot's of death. The MC is stereo-typically useless.

But, it's dark, suspenseful, creepy as fuck (in the sense you just GOT TO KNOW WHY THE FUCK) and sometimes funny. I believe I gave it a 9 outta 10.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #947 on: 12 Feb 2015, 04:17 »

I originally watched Future Diary/Mirai Nikki at the same time as Death Note.  Given that Death Note seems to have retained more popularity, I sometimes wonder why I have the opposite view.

In fact, I dropped Death Note without finishing it, and did the same recently on an attempt to rewatch it, whereas I've watched Mirai Nikki more than once.  Both have a plot which is ultimately pretty silly; both are as full of plot holes as a pin-cushion.  The difference for me is in how this is handled.  Death Note tries to take itself seriously, but actually gives you no reason to enjoy the company of the obnoxious idiot which is Light; nor is there anything that causes the viewer to think about the morality of what's going on - it's stuffy, humourless without being serious.  Mirai Nikki, on the other hand, throws the protagonist, Yukki, into a life and death situation which he would not have chosen, and for a while shows his conflict over it; but admittedly this only goes so far - the real difference is that Mirai Nikki just has more heart, more imagination, more variety, more humour, and more characters that have at least something likeable about them.  I have no embarrassment about clearly preferring Mirai Nikki to Death Note.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #948 on: 18 Feb 2015, 08:58 »

I liked Future Diary. It's completely messed up and Yuuki is crazy, but it's a sympathetic type? I don't really know how to say it. She's a complete psychopath, but you find out why and it's completely out of her control. (Saying why is a major spoiler, so I won't.) But Light is some normal kid who becomes crazy because he gets addicted to the power of killing whoever he chooses. Yuuki kills people because she's already messed up and thrown into a situation where she doesn't really have a choice. So yeah.

In other news, I've got a cold so I stayed home from work and I'm finally starting to watch Cardcaptor Sakura. I love how the little spotlight Kero does at the end of the episode is basically a guideline for how to recreate Sakura's costumes. Like...he tells you what materials are used. Hooray for cosplay.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #949 on: 25 Mar 2015, 19:44 »

Watched some episodes of One Piece, and the production value of the first season is beyond horrible. There's like 5 min of animated scenes per 24 minute episode.. I hope this get noticeably better in later seasons?!?
I dunno..
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Up