THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355159 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #950 on: 26 Mar 2015, 18:28 »

Watching Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory for the first time since it was on Toonami, mainly since it has my favorite mobile suit:

So far everything is still as good as I remember, except for the overly 80's music at the beginning and end.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #951 on: 26 Mar 2015, 19:23 »

Watching Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory for the first time since it was on Toonami, mainly since it has my favorite mobile suit:

So far everything is still as good as I remember, except for the overly 80's music at the beginning and end.

I spent most of 1994 with a big crush on Gato.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #952 on: 27 Mar 2015, 18:36 »

Though the pink explosions are kind of weird

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #953 on: 28 Mar 2015, 05:40 »

So holy shit Future Diary got dark.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #954 on: 28 Mar 2015, 13:56 »

What, did you already get to episode 2?  :-P
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #955 on: 28 Mar 2015, 14:37 »

Finished Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. I never realized the broader implications of what the series meant at the time they showed it, mainly a power grab by the military to get more power. Now on to Gundam Wing

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #956 on: 28 Mar 2015, 15:42 »

Keep going!  :wink:

Anyway, in other news, I just finshed X.  An interesting series; lots of good stuff, but not entirely convincing.  On the one hand, the emphasis on character development rather than plot was refreshing and led to some really good episodes; but on the other, even though the ending worked the pacing of the plot leading up to it was poorly handled.  I find it hard to give it a single score, so I won't.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #957 on: 28 Mar 2015, 21:13 »

Finished Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. I never realized the broader implications of what the series meant at the time they showed it, mainly a power grab by the military to get more power. Now on to Gundam Wing

Not that I understood it at the time either especially with my introduction being here you should watch this and then sitting though all of it on VHS tapes from Hong Kong--with the only subtitles being in Chinese. Still enjoyed it. Backfired on me later when the same person gave me Urotsukidōji to watch.... that ended the friendship. Spaceships robots and attractive pilot with a dark past but he's good inside and I can change him yes, tentacle rape no.

0083 was made to bridge the gap between the already released Mobile Suit Gundam and Z Gundam shows. I'd recommend going that route instead of jumping to the alternate universe Gundam Wing. Or you could do more fill-in with 0080.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #958 on: 29 Mar 2015, 01:15 »

0080 is the best of Gundam, for my money.

Anyway, now I'm settling down to watch Monster.  Bear with me - I may be some time...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #959 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:16 »

Not that I understood it at the time either especially with my introduction being here you should watch this and then sitting though all of it on VHS tapes from Hong Kong--with the only subtitles being in Chinese. Still enjoyed it. Backfired on me later when the same person gave me Urotsukidōji to watch.... that ended the friendship. Spaceships robots and attractive pilot with a dark past but he's good inside and I can change him yes, tentacle rape no.

0083 was made to bridge the gap between the already released Mobile Suit Gundam and Z Gundam shows. I'd recommend going that route instead of jumping to the alternate universe Gundam Wing. Or you could do more fill-in with 0080.

Oh no, I'm watching them for nostalgia's sake. I do have Zeta Gundam too, but Gundam Wing is due back first so I'm frantically watching it.I tried watching the original Gundam condensed into the 3 movies, but unfortunately it was all in japanese so I couldn't watch it in the background.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #960 on: 29 Mar 2015, 08:14 »

What, did you already get to episode 2?  :-P

Seriously. That one is not for the faint of heart and is probably by far the most fucked up series I've watched. (Parts of Full Metal Alchemist are close behind, though.) That said, I did enjoy it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #961 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:25 »

Most fucked up? Hmm, the only ones that I can think of that I'd put up there with Future Diary are Elden Lied, Rin, and umm.... yupp, that's it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #962 on: 30 Mar 2015, 06:56 »

Future Diary really does a pretty shitty job of making me sympathise with Yukki. Basically everyone else seems to have more motivation for becoming a god, and more tragic back stories. Doesn't help that he's a useless bellend the majority of the time.

As for Fullmetal, I only watched maybe 15 episodes of it, and it gets dark, but it irritated me because of its wrenching tonal shifts.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #963 on: 30 Mar 2015, 07:07 »

Future Diary really does a pretty shitty job of making me sympathise with Yukki. Doesn't help that he's a useless bellend the majority of the time.

Well, it's precisely the fact that he gets completely jerked around by everyone else that gets my sympathy!

As for Fullmetal, I only watched maybe 15 episodes of it, and it gets dark, but it irritated me because of its wrenching tonal shifts.

Which version of FMA?  I know that you are not alone in commenting on the tonal shifts (which are fine by me, as it happens) - but I think they're materially more marked in Brotherhood than in the original.  Either way, they do originate from the manga.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #964 on: 30 Mar 2015, 07:09 »

Yes, I should state it was Brotherhood I was referring to.

And honestly I dislike Yukki so much I pretty much enjoy watching bad things happen to him  :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #965 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:31 »

I didn't care about Yuki at all. I started to have some sympathy for Yuno towards the end, but not really much for Yuki. I think I felt the most sympathy for his friends.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #966 on: 31 Mar 2015, 13:56 »

That's the fun thing about that show. You kinda want everyone to die.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #967 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:28 »

If you want the deaths to pile up remorselessly, Monster is the show for you...

I've just been to Cuba on holiday.  The two long-haul flights, plus some siestas, gave me the opportunity to finish Monster, all 74 episodes of it.  Now that is one heavy-weight show.  If at times it starts to feel slow, rest assured that it will not feel that way by the next episode.  There are so many plot lines and characters which come and go, and all gradually link up, that I can't imagine watching it weekly - it just has to be marathoned so that you can get your head round it.  And it is gripping right to the end, though the ending (resolution is not the word) is not as dramatic as I expected.  Also, I think it would have been better to have left it without the twist in the last fifteen seconds.  I don't get why only the first 15 episodes were released on DVD in the US - to get the whole show I had to buy the Australian release (which is no more trouble these days, of course).

And I will probably never be able to mention Monster without reminding people that Dieter is awesome!

Dieter:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #968 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:34 »

Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventures.  Any good?  Worth looking up? My only exposure to it has been the Fabulous Custodes in the "If the Emperor had a text to speech device" and that one panel from Clinton's date.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #969 on: 28 Apr 2015, 10:58 »

Watching Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and, despite how old it is, I really like it. And the intro music is amazing

Though Quattro Bajeena's attire is pretty questionable

Got the Cowboy Bebop complete collection from the library and I got to this episode
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2015, 19:09 by Blue Kitty »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #970 on: 01 May 2015, 05:42 »

So, Future Diary!

(click to show/hide)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #971 on: 01 May 2015, 06:05 »

(click to show/hide)

Just you wait!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #972 on: 02 May 2015, 13:24 »

What Paul said.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #973 on: 08 May 2015, 04:05 »

I watched Bayonetta: Bloody Fate and I was pretty disappointed that it was an anime retelling of the first game instead of it's own thing.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #974 on: 13 May 2015, 09:21 »

I've just watched the 1985 film Night on the Galactic Railroad, a somewhat child-oriented film about handling death which is cited as a major influence on the series Marawu Penguindrum.  I enjoyed the style, and the extended farewell aspect of the journey; but in the end the religious content spoiled it for me.  The film as a whole came over as proselytising, which I don't want; in any case (if you care), the religious viewpoint is unsound - at least as seen from within from the catholic and orthodox tradition which I was brought up in.  So I would not recommend it unless you're prepared to make a very clear demarcation in your mind between the style and the content.

If you want a film that explores what might happen when your protagonist gets to face God directly, watch Mindgame instead.  Heck, watch Mindgame anyway if you haven't (and Mawaru Penguindrum too).

Incidentally, you can read a rather detailed account of the links between Night on the Galactic Railroad and Mawaru Penguindrum here (a strange page - don't click it to find the text, but scroll down).  Note in particular that the two boys walking past at the start and end of Penguindrum are actually discussing NotGR, mentioning one character and the author by name.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #975 on: 13 May 2015, 14:09 »

Have you ever seen Defending Your Life?

A very interesting take on 'Life After Death'
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #976 on: 13 May 2015, 15:48 »

Never heard of it - I'll look it out (not anime, though, I see).

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #977 on: 13 May 2015, 19:03 »

No, but it is an interesting film.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #978 on: 20 May 2015, 02:22 »

So we finished Future Diary. The last episode was hugely anticlimactic, so we watched the OWA which... was just a shitload of fanservice in every sense.

(click to show/hide)

Fuck it, man. It was so, so, so good until then. Best anime I've seen outside of Bebop. Kinda feel like I wasted my time a little bit.

Oh well.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #979 on: 20 May 2015, 02:42 »

Heh!  I wonder if it's actually something about the nature of Japanese story-telling itself, rather than individual animes, because complaints about the endings are so, so common in the West.  Clannad is another example in some people's eyes (I'm prepared to justify that ending); also RahXephon.  Loads of examples, in fact.

For the perfect bitter-sweet ending to a romance story, go to Honey and Clover.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2015, 02:48 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #980 on: 21 May 2015, 00:47 »

I'm currently watching Nagi Asu, and as I usually do, I have also been reading reviews and criticisms concurrently.  Apparently (though I have yet to see for myself) the work ends with a restoration of the status quo ante in many respects, and rather than embracing change, the characters are shown to be comfortable with that.

This seems parallel again with reset endings, and strengthens my idea that Japanese society values long-term stability above change and development, and so actively prefers endings that represent that.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #981 on: 25 May 2015, 08:32 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #982 on: 25 May 2015, 11:27 »

I've seen very good reviews of that, though it doesn't really appeal to me.

After Nagi Asu I started on Yuuki Yuuna - but I've dropped it after two episodes as I found it as boring as Sailor Moon - neither is a patch on Madoka Magica!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #983 on: 14 Jun 2015, 15:32 »

Just finished the Tale of Princess Kaguya and it was alright. The art direction is amazing as any other Ghibli film, but overall the plot was pretty boring and seem to drag on for awhile.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #984 on: 20 Jul 2015, 00:10 »

I like to stir things up a bit sometimes (copied from elsewhere, where it did)...

Hey, there’s always School Days
Quote from: pwhodges
I'll pass, thanks.

Well, if you know me at all, you'll understand that I don't like to leave things unresolved...  A little research on School Days showed me that it divides opinion more widely than most shows. I found that reviews of it are more varied than those for almost any other series;  The Nihon Review has no less than three separate reviews of it with scores of 4, 6, and 8 (out of 10), while Them Anime Reviews gives it its minimum one star.  So obviously I had no choice but to watch it myself, which curiously I did not regret.  I now understand the variation in the reviews quite well; it's not easy to judge.  My conclusion is that it's often misunderstood, and I think it is subverting itself so hard that some people just don't get it.

There are many kinds of lies; but the worst, in the end, are those you tell yourself.  A collective madness engulfs pretty much the entire cast by the last couple of episodes, but it is their lies to themselves that lead to the ultimate tragedy for each of them.  Of those main players it is Makoto Itou, in spite of the bad press he gets, whose lies are the ones least motivated by malice, or at least a desire to manipulate; that doesn't help him, though.  Yes, he is weak and indecisive - but are we all as strong as we like to think?  Remember that the girls are all after him because he is perceived as a good guy, and we are told this repeatedly.

Anyway, people who start this looking for a SoL high-school harem anime are rather in the same position as those who start Evangelion hoping for a giant robot show; they will discover in time how wrong they were.  And by the end realism has long gone out of the window; but that's not the point - the extremity of what happens is just a way of getting across the message of the damage that can be done by lies.  Of course, I'm not pretending this is at the level of Eva; but it's a good solid show none the less - mostly.  Some details let it down: The first few episodes are somewhat undistinctive, for instance; I hated the post-credits ending, as well - floating into the sea at the end was quite enough, and like EoE didn't attempt to sugar-coat anything.  And I loved the music - nine EDs in 12 episodes!

I haven't watched the OVAs, and I'm not sure I want to.  My understanding is that they follow different paths from the VN, and so don't really tie in.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #985 on: 20 Jul 2015, 01:01 »

As a critic, I've always approached a review from the perspective of 'who is this for, and would they like it?' Anything else can be bordering on irrelevant, but is just the sweetener to add to the crux of the review.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #986 on: 20 Jul 2015, 01:40 »

But it's not only "who is it for", but "why was it written for them to watch" - which doesn't always have the obvious answer.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #987 on: 20 Jul 2015, 04:20 »

That is absolutely relevant, just not always to every review in my eyes, particularly because the answer a lot of the time is 'to sell shitloads of it' or 'because our last album failed so we're recycling old ideas.' I mean to be fair the latter reason is absolutely relevant.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #988 on: 01 Aug 2015, 15:13 »

Okay, so I watched the first 3 episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders and its...well...bizarre.

Imagine street fighter but with psychic/spirit beings controlled like pokemon in a pokemon battle by flamboyant people out to kill Dracula.  I will say the story is more interesting than the characters who are pretty bland at this point...especially the main protagonist.  The english dub is enjoyably terrible.  I really wish they had someone with character to voice him instead of a bland almost monotone dude.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #989 on: 31 Aug 2015, 01:40 »

So I've been doing research for an article on positive trans representation in anime and manga. This has led me to one of the more interesting series I have ever seen. Ixion Saga DT. A series commissioned by Capcom to promote the Ixion Saga game. Caspian Sea Monster described it as Monty Python does a fantasy anime. The trans woman in the show Marian is actually rather well done, but with a few sore points that prevent her from being a truly great representative. Still, it was nice to see a genuinely badass and cute trans character who was not given an excuse for transitioning beyond "I wanted to". I recommend the series to anyone who is into irreverence for the usual fantasy tropes.
Super-villain in training.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #990 on: 01 Sep 2015, 14:11 »

Just in case anyone cares here's what I've been watching lately:

Aoharu x Machinegun: basically Ouran Host Club meets Sabagebu (I like because trap reminds me of Amanda Bynes)

Charlotte: i donno Minority reportish (mc is kinda siscon)

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: Food porn that gives hints on how to (like the tasting reactions)

Himouto! Umaru-chan: lil sis transforms into adorable animal brat (*gushes* cuteness overload)

Monster Musume: H game made into an anime (yeah it's that bad but I like it)

My Love Story: sweet (my waifu watches this with me)

My Wife is the Student Council Pres: short episodes (like that there are 2 versions for each episode well worth watching to compare them both)

Wagnaria!!: Is this what goes on at Dennys?! (funny and cute sometimes)

All of these are available to watch on Crunchyroll so perhaps on another post I'll list my pics for stuff on Funimation
*was getting tired of that slug*

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #991 on: 01 Sep 2015, 15:00 »

My Love Story: sweet

This is curious.  It's utterly predictable fluff, well beyond the point of being boring - and yet... it's just so nice that it still draws me in every time.  It's almost embarrassing, but I refuse to feel ashamed of it!

Anyway, I have just watched the little-known series Infinite Ryvius.  What can I say?  If you are interested in Evangelion (and even if you are not) then you owe it to yourself to watch this.  Many similar themes are covered (childhood trauma, facing the past, finding a way forward), though the reactions of the protagonists to their childhood traumas are different from their Evangelion parallels, and their resolutions are correspondingly different.  The production is almost flawless, in that the pacing is maintained perfectly up to a nicely judged and satisfying ending - no budget or timing problems here, nor uncertainty about what the ending means.  Maybe this means that Evangelion still has the edge in tension, but this is clearly the closest thing to it that I have seen.  Animation is good where it counts, and never less than adequate.

People generally compare it with The Lord of the Flies, because it depicts the breakdown of a society of isolated children, but I think the Evangelion comparison is more useful.

But forget analysis - as I said above, watch it!

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #992 on: 01 Sep 2015, 16:47 »

I almost forgot to mention, I recently watched Kyoukai no Kanata. Interesting work. It's a story dealing with social outcasts set against the backdrop of a hidden world of mages and monsters in modern times. The two main characters are a guy with a fetish for glasses and a girl who can use her blood as a weapon.
Super-villain in training.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #993 on: 02 Sep 2015, 06:54 »

Anyone have any anime horror recommendations? The gorier the better. Psychological is good too.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #994 on: 02 Sep 2015, 07:14 »

My Love Story: sweet

This is curious.  It's utterly predictable fluff, well beyond the point of being boring - and yet... it's just so nice that it still draws me in every time.  It's almost embarrassing, but I refuse to feel ashamed of it!

Anyway, I have just watched the little-known series Infinite Ryvius.  What can I say?  If you are interested in Evangelion (and even if you are not) then you owe it to yourself to watch this.  Many similar themes are covered (childhood trauma, facing the past, finding a way forward), though the reactions of the protagonists to their childhood traumas are different from their Evangelion parallels, and their resolutions are correspondingly different.  The production is almost flawless, in that the pacing is maintained perfectly up to a nicely judged and satisfying ending - no budget or timing problems here, nor uncertainty about what the ending means.  Maybe this means that Evangelion still has the edge in tension, but this is clearly the closest thing to it that I have seen.  Animation is good where it counts, and never less than adequate.

People generally compare it with The Lord of the Flies, because it depicts the breakdown of a society of isolated children, but I think the Evangelion comparison is more useful.

But forget analysis - as I said above, watch it!

I'm unashamed for liking My Love story. True it is kinda fluffy but is refreshing to see a growing relationship out in the open unlike so much other anime where the couple try to keep that hidden or secret.

Anyone have any anime horror recommendations? The gorier the better. Psychological is good too.

I'd recommend Another. If you haven't seen it already I wouldn't want to spoil anything there but it was the first thing I thought of.

*was getting tired of that slug*

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #995 on: 05 Sep 2015, 19:33 »

Mononoke is a pretty interesting one. It can be gory, but the storytelling is more traditional than, say, Attack on Titan, which is pure gore. But if you like alternative forms of storytelling, they really are good ghost stories.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #996 on: 06 Sep 2015, 06:56 »

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, or in English When they Cry.  This has been recommended to me, but I haven't watched much of it yet myself.  The Nihon Review says of it: "Featuring several moments that are chillingly unforgettable, Higurashi may be as close to a successful horror anime as we may ever see on TV."

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #997 on: 06 Sep 2015, 13:39 »

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put them all on my To Watch list.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #998 on: 06 Sep 2015, 23:11 »

And I forgot Pupa.  It's only twelve 3min episodes (my copy is edited into one 36 min ep), and it's gore rather than horror, but it's well worth a watch (this is a controversial opinion, BTW).  The whole thing is a metaphor for child abuse and its effects.  The show covers about half of the 5-volume manga, and actually fits in a surprising amount of detail (I have the manga, too)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #999 on: 07 Sep 2015, 01:06 »

I've read the manga and saw the show. Enjoyed it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up