THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355315 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #1000 on: 07 Sep 2015, 01:30 »

For slow-burning and long-drawn-out horror, there's also Monster.  It's a big commitment though at 74 episodes.

Oh, and my avi is currently showing for me as Utsutsu from Pupa:

« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2015, 02:06 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1001 on: 07 Sep 2015, 02:09 »

Think I would prefer a longer one right now. Been reading a lot of short run mangas and they're enjoyable but understandably low on deep story.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #1002 on: 07 Sep 2015, 23:31 »

I'm looking for a good and happy mecha series. Something less like the more serious Gundam and leaning towards optimistic like Aldnoah Zero or Gundam X. I just finished the current seasons of Gundam Build Fighters and it's sequel. Anyone got something that would meet that criteria?
Super-villain in training.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1003 on: 08 Sep 2015, 00:05 »

I don't know the Gundam series (except 0080 War in the Pocket, which is good but not happy), so I don't really know your baseline.  The classics that I know which fit are Gunbuster, Gunbuster 2 (aka Diebuster), Gurren Lagann, and Martian Successor Nadesico (this is almost a comedy, but the film that follows is really dark).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1004 on: 09 Sep 2015, 11:56 »

War in the Pocket is good, but not optimistic or happy. So let's say that would be the baseline. I've already seen Nadesico and Gurren Lagann I have resolved not to watch because of how stupid it is. Basically if it takes itself seriously or follows standard mecha tropes very closely I'm not interested right now. You should totally watch Aldnoah.Zero by the way.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1005 on: 09 Sep 2015, 12:25 »

Vision of Escaflowne. It's sort of a fantasy mecha series. High school girl gets accidentally pulled into an alternate world that is mostly midevil level tech, but they have giant mecha powered by dragon hearts. It gets dark at some points, but for the most part it's a romp through fantasy tropes, dipped in mecha sauce. Along similar lines but much older (70s or 80s) is Aura Battler Dunbine.

Depending on how tightly you want to define mecha, the various Bubblegum Crisis versions are good. That's battle armor sized mech suits though, not 30 meter tall robots.

Somewhat more contemporary and less Japanese you may want to find Symbionic Titan. It was a show by Cartoon Network by the same people who made Samurai Jack. Fleeing an war on an alien world, the king sends his daughter to earth to protect her, along with one of the royal guard and a robot to help him. They have to blend in and hide from the enemy who keeps sending monsters and agents after them, so they start attending the local high school. The robot alternately pretends to be the kid's father at home, and another student at school so they all stay close. When a monster from the other dimension attacks they can transform into robots via sentai-like watches, and also combine with Octus to form a giant robot, the Symbionic Titan. They also have to deal with a military commander who hates that giant robots are tearing up the place, but also glad that they can stop the monsters. And a shadowy organization devoted to studying aliens. Sadly the show only lasted two seasons and was never finished. But it's still well worth watching.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1006 on: 09 Sep 2015, 15:43 »

EscaFlowne is very good, I agree (though you can skip the film).  It's not got very much of a mecha feel to my mind, though.

Gurren Lagann I have resolved not to watch because of how stupid it is.

Oh, c'mon!  Let your hair down!  It meets your requirements pretty well.

But how important is the mecha aspect?  If steam-punk airships might do it for you, try Last Exile.  If happy and optimistic on its own could work without a mecha in sight, there's Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, or a particular favourite of mine: Uchouten Kazoku (aka The Eccentric Family).  Oh look, there're happy and optimistic quotes from those last two in my sig - what a coincidence!
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2015, 15:57 by pwhodges »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1007 on: 09 Sep 2015, 18:48 »

Gurren Lagann I have resolved not to watch because of how stupid it is

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1008 on: 09 Sep 2015, 23:02 »

Gurren Lagann I have resolved not to watch because of how stupid it is

It's certainly not fun if I can't enjoy it because it keeps breaking my willing suspension of disbelief. I prefer my mecha shows to follow at least some science. I can forgive outlandish power sources, metals, and magic computers if they don't constantly break the rest of reality and keep forcing my brain to just scream "NOPE!" over and over.

P.S. I've already seen Last Exile. For some clarification I'm in the mood for big robots.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1009 on: 09 Sep 2015, 23:58 »

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1010 on: 15 Sep 2015, 06:05 »

CSM and I have settled on watching the original Japanese version of Macross. I might just re-watch the American Robotech version for season 2 and 3 because gods is Macross 7 awful. They battle space vampires with guitar powered veritechs (transforming fighter jets) and use rock music against them, somehow. I think their guns fire speakers or something. I couldn't sit through it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1011 on: 15 Sep 2015, 07:29 »

Macross Plus is the best thing from that franchise, I think.  OVAs or film, doesn't really matter.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1012 on: 15 Sep 2015, 09:05 »

Macross Plus is the best thing from that franchise, I think.  OVAs or film, doesn't really matter.
I love Macross Plus but I also have a soft spot for the original Macross. It's a good series showing humanity persevering in the face of a more advanced enemy not because of "the human spirit" or other ill contrived BS but because of pure dumb luck and some adequate preparation. That said humans didn't win so much as survive.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #1013 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:03 »

For some clarification I'm in the mood for big robots.

You're always in the mood for big robots.

I've agreed to watch through Macross, whatever parts of it Emo thinks are worth watching, but apparently one of the more major sticking points in our relationship is that I don't really care for or about giant mecha shows.  She had to drag me kicking and screaming to watch Gundam Build Fighters, though I'm glad she did, it was pretty good.  Aldnoah.Zero was entertaining too.

I loved the hell out of DanMachi and Emoroffle is probably annoyed that I won't shut up about it.  Right now I am most looking forward to Taishō Baseball Girls, but at the moment we're in the middle of watching Haiyore! Nyarko-san.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2015, 17:14 by Caspian Sea Monster »
Other than that I have no opinion.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1014 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:09 »

Wait, who are you? :P

Hi, CSM! Are you just stopping by or are you going to stick around for a while?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1015 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:12 »

I haven't decided yet.  Time will tell.

Actually I mostly just logged in to change my avatar.  Because DanMachi.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1016 on: 16 Sep 2015, 12:54 »

Well, it's nice to see you back :)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1017 on: 17 Sep 2015, 06:19 »

I haven't decided yet.  Time will tell.
It's almost a year since you last posted. Welcome back!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1018 on: 17 Sep 2015, 08:16 »

Thanks.  I actually periodically think about poking my head back in every time Emoroffle mentions some conversation or another here, and then I remember I'm not really a message board kind of person and a habitual lurker.  I subscribe to the "a wise person speaks when they have something to say, a fool speaks when they have to say something" school of thought, and I feel I rarely have anything constructive to add to most conversations.  Also the thread that was my primary reason for regularly posting got locked by the admin - that's not a tree I have any intention of barking up, I'm fine with it, I'm just saying.

-----------------------------------------------

So as to avoid veering off-topic for too long, here's the anime journal I started keeping of all the shows Emo and I have watched since she moved in, and my personal out-of-five ratings for them.  (Not listed in the order watched.)

(click to show/hide)

Further suggestions are welcome.  The above list is probably somewhat indicative of my taste.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2015, 11:45 by Caspian Sea Monster »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1019 on: 18 Sep 2015, 10:11 »

I picked up Jojo's Bizare Adventure: Stardust Crusade again and finished the 13 episode series.  Its pretty good.  Then I found out I watched the rather stale 90s anime whereas most people who like it saw the better animated and more fun 2014 anime of it, but I think I'd have to buy it or join crunchy roll to watch it in its crazy colors.  I'd rather not shell out the money though

I highly recommend it. Street fighter characters with battle spirits go on a globetrotting adventure to kill Dracula.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1020 on: 21 Sep 2015, 20:00 »

I'm just now watching through the The Last Airbender (I suck, I know) but I am completely enamored thus far.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1021 on: 28 Sep 2015, 05:58 »

So I started watching Argevollen. It's more along the lines of what I'm into. Still after watching the latest Gundam series and Aldnoah.Zero I'm really sad there isn't much in the way of the "real robot" genre. I kind of wish there was an Armored Core anime now.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1022 on: 05 Oct 2015, 03:25 »

Been given a list of Animes that my students want to watch, I really don't have time to research all of them.

My student body is broadly speaking 16-19, fanservice is obviously not okay, nor anything particularly super violent. Can someone please shed some light on one or more of these?

Sword Art Online
Initial D
Corpse Party
Naruto
Violence Jack
DragonBall Super
D.Grey-man
Gurren Lagann
Attack On Titan
Bleach
Log Horizon
Girls Und Panzer
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Yu Yu Hakusho
Needless
Blue Exorcist
Fate/stay night
Fate/Zero
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Tokyo Ghoul
WitchBlade
Devil is a Part Timer
Code Geass
Deadman Wonderland
Seraph of the End
Parasyte
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1023 on: 05 Oct 2015, 03:44 »

Gurren Lagann
Coming of age yarn; robots whose size increase in each iteration to absurd levels (like, galaxy-sized robots!).  Very silly, but good fun, and not without serious moments.

Attack On Titan
Rather popular, but to my mind visually ugly and an uninspired story.  Some fantastic animation of people swinging around on ropes, though.

Girls und Panzer
A guilty pleasure.  Fan service (though sexually innocent).  There are girls schools, on ships, whose main "sport" is fighting in tanks, and the series is the various inter-school competitions.  No one gets hurt, even in real tank battles.

I know of a number of the others, but those are the only ones I've actually watched.  FYI I add links to the two review sites I use for initial checking of anime that comes my way:
http://www.themanime.org/reviewlist.php 
http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/

I was surprised not to see Kill la Kill in the list, given the nature of most of those shows.  An interesting show that looks sexually exploitative but is actually the opposite - good for a discussion, that.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1024 on: 05 Oct 2015, 11:19 »

Devil is a part timer: pretty funny and I can see teenagers liking it.

Attack on titan: super violent and gross, so if you don't want to show them that, I wouldn't.

Sword art online: as much as I love this series, parts of it can be disturbing (rape is threatened/attempted in the second half of the first season). I think the first half of the first season would be OK, though.

Bleach: very LONG series, but would be OK. It's a little violent, but nothing like AoT.

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1025 on: 05 Oct 2015, 15:14 »

Naruto: Mystical teenage ninjas in training competing against each other during testing, and sent off on missions for their villages. PG-13 violence. Perfectly fine for teens.

Yu Yu Hakusho: Like Bleach and Dragon Ball, it's mostly fight with super long drawn out fights that typically take episode after episode. PG-13 levels of violence here. Mostly focused on whacky magical martial arts types.

Fate/Stay Night: Mildly violent, some mild fanservice. Around mid season there is some implication that one female main character heals the other female lead by sexual contact. But it's more suggested than shown. The series revolves around a group of people sending their minions to fight surrogate battles for some magical mcguffin in the end. The twist being that their minions are people from points in history bound to magical servitude.

Witchblade: I haven't seen, but it's going to be very fan service I'm sure. Given it's an anime about a western comic about a woman who fights crime while wearing nothing more than a barely there covering of alien symbiote that doubles as armor and weapon.

Deadman Wonderland: Super violent and disturbing. I really do not recommend for teenagers. A teen school boy witnesses a guy use supernatural powers to brutally slaughter his entire class, leaving only him untouched. he gets blamed for the crime, kangaroo court sentenced to a prison called Deadman Wonderland which is one part gladitorial arena and one part morbid amusment park where the inmates are forced to participate in life or death obstacle courses for the amusement of the park goers and home viewers. Then he gets roped into an even more dangerous secret arena battle vs super powered opponents, including the one who slaughtered his classmates in front of him.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #1026 on: 05 Oct 2015, 21:00 »

Haven't watched Dragonball Super and it is currently only in Japanese, so I don't know much about it. However, in general the violence in Dragonball isn't very graphic, but there are some fanservice moments.

Attack on Titan is definitely probably way too graphic. A lot of blood and dismemberment.

Fate/Zero is about a mystical tournament where people summon the spirits of historical warriors to fight for them. No fanservice. A lot of violence obviously, and blood, but not anywhere near as graphic as Attack on Titan.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2015, 21:06 by 94ssd »

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1027 on: 07 Oct 2015, 20:55 »

Code Geass: Nifty mecha battles as part of a wider campaign to bring down a world spanning empire all while the main character tries to hide his super power and the fact he leads the resistance. Lots of complex scheming and philosophizing about the nature of power and who should rule. Some fanservice and two or three instances of outright nudity (fleeting instances though, just a couple of seconds of exposed breasts) if you get the uncensored version, violence stays PG-13 though. Both main character arcs encapsulate the statement, "you either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain." Not on any streaming service to my knowledge.
Quis pater tibi est?

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1028 on: 21 Oct 2015, 05:51 »

If you all enjoy dark comedies and a villain protagonist you should see the anime version of "Overlord". It's pretty good and now I'm left wanting a second season. It just finished the first season in September.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1029 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:45 »

Harking back to the horror theme from earlier, I finished Higurashi - When they cry, which was very satisfactory.  I also watched Elfen Lied, which is better than some reviews are prepared to admit; clearly some people are too distracted by the nudity in the OP and ED sequences, though it's entirely artistic.  The story also hangs together better in my view than some people tried to persuade me.

Wanting a change from gore, though, I moved on to Bokura ga Ita (We were there).  This is a romance, a bit like Honey and Clover (well, OK, it isn't really), but with a sad ending (I think, I'm not quite there yet).  For me it's every bit as good as Honey and Clover, but I can see that not everyone might be able to handle it.  It is sloooooow.  But it never flags or drags; it builds up almost unbearable intensity, and is a more than usually realistic depiction of the trials and tribulations of teenage romance.  The girl is a novice in relationships; this is her first.  The boy has a history, involving a previous girlfriend who died in an accident while cheating on him after they had an argument, the said girlfriend's younger sister whom he actually knew earlier, and his best friend from way way back who also likes the girl but is standing aside for his friend.  The two of them are truly in love, but neither can fully understand the feelings of the other because of their completely different experiences.  The manga and the live action films continue the story into their adult lives, and I admit I'm going to want to see what growing up does to their characters, so I've ordered a copy of the manga (the only version of the story with an official English release anyway).
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2015, 02:06 by pwhodges »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1030 on: 30 Nov 2015, 19:58 »

I don't know if any of you are watching One Punch Man, but you should, because it's hilarious and awesome.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1031 on: 01 Dec 2015, 11:39 »

I've watched the first four, I think. It's been so long since I've actually had to wait for episodes to come out.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1032 on: 01 Dec 2015, 15:12 »

More on Bokura ga Ita, as I've now seen the films and acquired the manga (the only official English release in the franchise).  As far as the story goes, in spite of my satisfaction with the anime, I now have to say that the first half of the story (which the anime covers) is largely setting up the second half.  The relationships become far more tortured in the second part (after a time-skip), and it's harder to read, with extensive flashbacks, some within others, and also dreams (or at one point what seems to be a dream but you find out after actually isn't).  Some people are broken by the behaviour of their parents, and sometimes their behaviour seems unjustified at first glance, but the back-story is always good enough to carry it off.

If you want a romance with more angst than Honey and Clover, but with a resolution in spite of it, this is for you.

The live action films were better than I expected, and in particular the second made a good fist of explaining a plot that becomes increasingly intricate.  However, it disappointed at the end by simplifying the final reconciliation too much and removing some important drama leading up to it.

The only comments I've seen on One Punch Man have been negative, expressing disappointment in something that more had been hoped of.  I'm glad it works for you (I no nothing more about it, so have no opinion).

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1033 on: 01 Dec 2015, 16:53 »

It's goofy, ridiculous, and makes fun of anime like Dragonball Z (which I am not a fan of). Also I'm highly amused by the art style. The main character is usually drawn with a very bland, simply drawn face (when he gets serious, the style of his face changes) and everything else is suuuuuper detailed. It's the same in the manga.

Example of his faces:

Example of detail. This is from the manga, but this scene is pretty much exactly the same in the anime. Look at the reflections of the city in Metal Knight's armor:

There are just a lot of little things about this series that I find very entertaining. There's a test heroes have to take and the ranking systems are a bit amusing. Also their names are given by fans, so Saitama (the main character) eventually becomes known as The Caped Baldy because that's what he looks like. I don't want to give a lot away, but I feel like if you are one of those people that likes to make fun of anime that's all about fighting (Dragonball Z, Bleach, and also superhero tropes in general), I feel like you'd enjoy it. It does not take itself seriously at all and that's why I enjoy it so much.

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1034 on: 02 Dec 2015, 13:37 »

I've also watched the first few episodes of OPM with Emo and was highly amused, but giving the series (as it stands so far) a thorough watch has to wait until after finishing the other stuff on my to-watch list, and we haven't even finished Nyaruko yet since I've been busy with other things.

Also R.I.P. Matsuki Miyu, the seiyuu for Cthugha on Nyaruko.  She passed away in October at age 38 from pneumonia.  :(

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1035 on: 04 Dec 2015, 08:32 »

Another aspect of One Punch Man

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1036 on: 04 Dec 2015, 09:29 »

That's fukken hilarious.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1037 on: 05 Dec 2015, 19:39 »

That is amazing!!! Roflcopter

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #1038 on: 13 Dec 2015, 18:05 »

Any suggestions for a good anime? I'm open to pretty much any genre, my only requirement is that it has intelligently written characters. My biggest gripe with anime is that so often characters act dumb/unreasonable/bitchy just to create conflict.

So yeah, anything with witty, reasonable characters.
I dunno..

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1039 on: 14 Dec 2015, 01:21 »

My list might be a page or two - can you give a hint of what you've seen and been dissatisfied with, or what kind of show you'd be looking for?

Of course, sometimes the dumb/unreasonable/bitchy behaviour is caused by underlying issues which is what the show is actually examining.  An example of this might be Bokura ga Ita; though in that case it is more apparent in the second half of the manga, which never got animated..

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1040 on: 14 Dec 2015, 07:42 »

I don't really have any specific exaples-- it's been a while since I watched any anime, and the list of sereis I've watched also isn't very long, as well as being mostly mainstream things (FMA, GitS:SAC, Cowboy Bebop and some One Piece before I figured that wasn't going anywhere)

As for generes, I generally prefer sci fi, fanatsy etc., but I'm really up for anything as long as it's written intelligently. Forced drama and cringy behaviour is generally some of the things I dislike the most, not only in anime but movies, comics, sereis, games etc, so that is really my only major limitation.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2015, 17:10 by Edguy »
I dunno..

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1041 on: 14 Dec 2015, 15:08 »

OK, I'll make up a slightly random list of anime I consider good in various ways.

Gunbuster and Diebuster (aka Gunbuster 2)
SF.  The original Gunbuster was the first appearance of bouncing breasts ("the Gainax bounce"), but is a fine show anyway.  Diebuster is not an obvious sequel (it was made fifteen years later by a different team), but ends with a remarkable tie-in.

Texhnolyze
SF.  A vision of the end of the world; dark, slow and remorseless pessimism.  In the first episode no one even speaks for fourteen minutes, but there's been a rape and dismemberment.  Not for the faint-hearted!

Now and Then, Here and There
Anti-war SF.  Child soldiers, rape, and torture.  But a compelling watch that doesn't falter.

Infinite Ryvius
SF.  A sort of space version of the Lord of the Flies, but not as full-on nasty as that.

Monster
Mystery, some horror.  Is sometimes cited as the best of all anime.  Uncharacteristic as anime goes (it is set in post-war Europe, with only one Japanese character).  Long (74 eps), slow, but continually compelling.  The child Dieter is a great secondary hero.

Kino's Journey
Social comment.  Separate stories in which Kino visits different societies, and her commentary on them.  Parallels with real society are there to be found.  Has a talking motor cycle...

Honey and Clover
College romance.  A story of unrequited love among a group of friends.  Happy, sad and bitter-sweet - and always moving.  One of the relationships might seem a little strange to western ideas.  Watch both series; the end of the first is by no means the end of the story, even if it satisfies.

Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family)
Humour, adventure, Japanese mythology.  Backdrops are taken from real-life Kyoto.  The main characters are Tanuki, who change between their animal form and human form - they are thought of as shape-shifters in Japanese mythology.  There are also other mythical humanoid beings, and supernatural happenings.  One of my favourite series of all.

Kyousougiga
Surreal.  Another series based on real-life Kyoto - this time not just with weird overtones, but seriously weird.  Worth a watch to see if you can make head or tail of it...  Just watch the series; ignore the ONA/OVA versions - they are no more than earlier versions that the series expands and completes (I even skip the first episode of the series, which is essentially a summary of what is coming).

Pupa
Horror and gore.  Twelve three-minute episodes - you can download it edited into a single 36min sequence, which I recommend.  It's an allegory of child abuse and the horrifying effects on the abused.  I think.  I love it visually (some don't), but nothing approaches it for gore other than maybe Elfen Lied or Higurashi (When They Cry).  My current (fixed) avatar is from the original manga.

Clannad
Emotional Overload.  This is a real weepy, and some consider it to be simply emotionally manipulative.  The only moe in my list, and a bit of the supernatural.  You must go on to watch the second series after the first, as that's where the quality gets wound up to its peak.  "The end will have you in tears, or your money back."  This is based on a visual novel, but taking only one of the tracks as its main story.  There are OVAs that take other tracks, but these are simply confusing.

But there are so many more I could add:  Neon Genesis Evangelion, Mawaru Penguindrum, Last Exile, Anohana, Serial Experiments Lain, Vision of EscaFlowne, Gundam 0080 - War in the Pocket...
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2015, 15:24 by pwhodges »

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1042 on: 14 Dec 2015, 16:59 »

Thank you! Monster and The Eccentric Family sounded most up my alley, I'll check one of them out as soon as I finish my last exam :D
I dunno..

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1043 on: 14 Dec 2015, 18:07 »

Oh Anohana... Now that is an emotional rollercoaster. I want to watch it again because it's actually really good, but...the feels. So many feels. Possibly too many feels.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1044 on: 23 Dec 2015, 18:45 »

What's up with the random 9 year jump i Monster!? It feel really out of place. Literally the only thing that changes is the two kids growing up. Like, they didn't even change the hairstyles or clothes of characters. Everyone seems to carry on as if just a few months passed..
I dunno..

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1045 on: 23 Jan 2016, 11:27 »

I recently finished the series Death Parade and it was really good. The basis of the story is that when two people die at the same time, they appear in a bar and have to play a game in order to be judged by an arbiter to determine whether their soul gets reincarnated or sent to the void. That's a very basic explanation, but I don't want to give spoilers. If you like darker dramas and don't mind a little bit of violence, the underlying story is very good.

Also, I love the opening. It's much MUCH more lighthearted than the actual show is, but it's a great song.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1046 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:56 »

Re: that Opening Stance

The Lawyers for The Ginyu Force want a word with them.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1047 on: 30 Jan 2016, 07:46 »

Just started watching Koukaku no Pandora, it's based on a concept by Masamune Shirow and done by the guy behind Excel Saga. It's ridiculous, hilarious, and looks to be well on its way to being a favorite. I'm going to wait on watching the rest so CSM and I can watch it all together.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1048 on: 30 Jan 2016, 17:49 »

Rewatching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex cause...I don't think I've actually seen the whole thing. Like it was late night when I was still little so I never really saw every episode. I still remember the April Fool's Day episode though

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #1049 on: 31 Jan 2016, 16:00 »

I wonder if people would cry racism if Tenma in Monster or Mikasa in AoT were the only european characters in western series/comics set in Japan..  Mikasa is so much better than everyone at everything, and Tenma is basically japanese Jesus. :roll:
I dunno..
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up