THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime anyone?  (Read 355313 times)

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: Anime anyone?
« Reply #1100 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:03 »

On the topic of the NGE Netflix script changes I saw something doing the rounds on tumblr about some of the other scenes. For Example. . . .

From the original dub

From the new netflix dub

Dunno if this is legit or some sort of weird ass false flag crap.

Hmm, it would be rather bizarre is they actually used the word 'leftists'.....is this real?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1101 on: 27 Jun 2019, 09:18 »

They still don't like referencing the Aum attacks directly.  But yes, that's a curious choice for the subs.  Dan Kanemitsu probably doesn't have a clear idea how that reads in the West.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1102 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:55 »

It's just as I suspected all along - THE ANGELS ARE COMMUNISTS!
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1103 on: 28 Jun 2019, 13:27 »

Here's a reasonable article on the new translation of Evangelion used by Netflix (I put it that way because it's clearly not Netflix's translation, but Khara's), specifically with regard to Kaworu's lines.

In other news, the remainder of Forest of Piano is now up on Netflix.  The second half has been done without the CGI of the piano playing, which some people criticised - so instead they represent the effect of the music with lots of floating bubbles and the like.  But to be fair, the manga does that too!  Although I am sad that they missed out some elements of the story (Kai's meeting and wooing his girlfriend), it's still a good representation of the main story.  I suppose they could make the girlfriend episode as an OVA, if they can be bothered (I suspect they won't, which is a shame); they could also do a short OVA of the piano tuning episode.

While I'm here, do try to get to watch Dororo.  This new adaptation of the old (1967-8) manga has a decent ending instead of just petering out, and is nicely designed and animated (and obviously beats the old 1969 anime version by being better quality and not black-and-white!).  It was a constant pleasure this last season.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #1104 on: 30 Jun 2019, 19:52 »

(just got netflix a week ago and binged a couple shows, Evangelion among them)

I'm actually really bothered by the reaction to changing Kaworu's line. Even setting aside that what he actually said in the original Japanese translates most accurately as "like", all of the original context is still there. All the blushes, the interactions, his obvious affection, Shinji's confused reciprocation... none of that is gone. It's not gay erasure if all the subtext is still there. And using like to indicate attraction isn't even a Japan specific thing. Did none of these people go to high school and obsess over "liking" someone, but like, "Like" liking them?

Too much complaining about that and not enough complaining about the use of "children". Please think of the Children!

I also binge watched "Your Lie in April" based on a reference I saw in a youtube video. Apparently it's not really a good idea for someone going through a crippling depressive episode to binge watch "Your Lie in April".

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #1105 on: 01 Jul 2019, 02:24 »

Eh, I think it's more pushback against how dubs sometimes try to PC the intended/unintended/complete far left interpretations of dialogue.

(Only example I can think of right now is the Dub for Sailor moon changing the dialogue between two characters to make them out to be cousins as opposed to heavily implied lovers, and only succeeding in creating a brand new kissin' cousins' interpretation!)
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #1106 on: 01 Jul 2019, 14:31 »

That would be hilarious since the change to Kaworu's dialogue is a result of following the original Japanese more closely.

(Amusing sidebar, I can distinctly recall people complaining when the original english dub was released, because having Kaworu say "I love you" offended people who insisted it added a gay subtext that "didn't exist". I think I even recall someone arguing that the... er... hospital scene with Shinji and Asuka in End of Evangelion proved that Shinji was straight and therefore the "I love you" translation was wrong)

To be honest, I feel like it's a knee jerk reaction that's more they changed it, now it sucks!" And it's only a story because it's clickbait worthy.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1107 on: 12 Dec 2019, 08:23 »

Awesome, new Goblin Slayer is coming out with a cinematic special in February.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1108 on: 28 Dec 2019, 14:12 »

I've just finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix (it took me like three days) and I want more. But Legend Of Korra is on Amazon Prime and I don't *have* Amazon Prime and now I am mad.

:x
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1109 on: 29 Dec 2019, 10:19 »

I've just finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix (it took me like three days) and I want more. But Legend Of Korra is on Amazon Prime and I don't *have* Amazon Prime and now I am mad.

:x

SO GOOOOOOOOOOD
stePH
--

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1110 on: 11 Jan 2020, 01:28 »

Got a volume of Robotech: New Generation in a mystery box sale from Vintage Stock.
Harmony Gold, 1) who the fuck edited this? 2) why aren't subtitles available, ADV Films? Not even for the dub.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1111 on: 11 Jan 2020, 02:03 »

DVD releases of Robotech were a right mess.  Of course, the origination of the series was quite a mess already.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1113 on: 11 Jan 2020, 09:07 »

Dorohedoro was on my list to try when it starts tomorrow, but after seeing that trailer, I'm not sure it's for me after all.

The first episode of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! was more fun than it had any right to be.  I wonder if they can keep it up.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1114 on: 06 May 2020, 05:32 »

I finished what I hope is the first season of Eizouken and it was amazing, a real love note to the animation industry

I also finally finished Last Exile, a show I first started watching back when it came on G4 of all places. I remember it mostly for the flying ships and the intro with the bagpipes, but it seems like that was such a small part of it. Overall it was just okay, an alright early 2000s anime where they were still figuring out how to use 3D.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1115 on: 06 May 2020, 08:08 »

Hmm.I got bored with Eizouken about halfway through, and haven't finished it.

OTOH, Gleipnir is turning out to be more fun than I expected.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1116 on: 09 May 2020, 17:33 »

Still ticking items of my watch bucket list.

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1117 on: 10 May 2020, 06:47 »

My favorite Miyazaki movie. I even like it better than the book, though I read the book after

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1118 on: 10 May 2020, 09:44 »

Still ticking items of my watch bucket list.

My favorite Miyazaki movie. I even like it better than the book, though I read the book after
Why Miyazaki bothered to license the novel is a mystery to me; he obviously had a very different story to tell and it didn't really need the few elements that he took from DWJ.
stePH
--

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1119 on: 26 Jul 2020, 18:21 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1120 on: 30 Jul 2020, 03:37 »

Gyrre

« Reply #1121 on: 17 Aug 2020, 08:24 »

Same advice as TFS DBZ Abridged, don't binge watch  PTE while eating. You risk choking.
a real-ass gaddam sword

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #1122 on: 22 Aug 2020, 17:43 »

My personal thoughts viewing Uzaki chan Wants to Hang Out:

Episode 1: Seems pretty ordinary really. Guess I'll stick with it for a couple episodes.
Episode 3: How can this show trigger so much internet drama? I guess I'll give it a little bit longer?
Episode 5: *Uzaki delivers her rant on the greatness of mint chocolate chip ice cream* Okay, kid, you've won me over.
Episode 7: "Just get rid of the cat." You're trash Uzaki. You're trash and everything you say and do is trash now and forever. Surrender your cats to me and go climb into a dumpster where you belong, you enemy of cats.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1123 on: 22 Aug 2020, 19:39 »

I've been watching a lot of kids shows (since I have kids) and my wife started to put on the original Sailor Moon on Hulu. I never watched it growing up and according to her the version we're watching is a newer dub than the one she watched when she was a kid. So far its pretty good. I think my favorite character is Luna (The cat). My wife says she's a bit different in the older dub and this newer one almost seems like a new character. I think the next episode is when they finally fight Jadeite. Rei is legit pretty cool and I love her antagonistic relationship with Usagi. Also I think its rather funny that Tuxedo mask shows up in most episodes

(click to show/hide)

My 1 year old started doing the sailor moon pose when she's in her high chair during meals. Its cute. My 2 year old gets so invested in the story and gets a bit scared of the monsters and clutches my arm during those scenes.

Weird question, did the studio for Yu Yu Hakusho do Sailor Moon? Sometimes I get similar vibes. Granted I saw Yu Yu Hakusho way back when I was in High School and even then I only saw a handful of episodes so it may just be me.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1124 on: 06 Nov 2020, 20:35 »

After seeing clips and art on imgur, I decided to try out Fire Force. I am 3 episodes in and the premise is pretty cool. The intro music is really nice. Its a post apocalyptic world, and in Tokyo people have started to spontaneous combust. When doing so they become fire zombies called "infernals." The government created a response team to put down these demonic entities and investigate in what causes this phenomenon. They are called the Fire Force and are deployed like, and alongside, the fire department. The fire department puts out the fires after the Fire Force puts down the infernal. Some people have been born with pyrokenetic powers. Some can manipulate existing fire and use them against the infernals, and some have developed X-men style abilities that are fire based and can create them. Most fire force companies consist of these individuals.

The story follows Fire Force Company 8 as they put down infernals and try to figure out the cause of spontaneous combustion. The leader of company 8 doesn't have any powers and is just a normal human. Our protagonist is Shinra, who is a recruit. He can shoot fire out of his feet which he uses to launch himself like a rocket, do fire kicks, and break dance fighting. He also has a nervous tick, kind of like the Joker, in that when he's nervous, anxious, or scared, he can't help but smile. This gets him into trouble a lot. He has a tragic past and wants to investigate the fire that killed his family. There are many other crew mates on the team including another rookie that can make a plasma sword and thinks he's King Arthur, a pyrokenetic woman that was recruited from the military, a nun, a no nonsense lieutenant that can manipulate guns, and the captain that has no powers which is uncommon in the Fire Force.

The first few episodes are great, with the second episode being a real gut puncher. The third episode is also great and deepens the mystery of the show. There is one glaring problem that shows up. A new character is introduced and the opening sequences indicates they will be joining the team. Maybe its just my problem and I just don't get it, but her character is just cringey. She dresses in a bikini under her fire suit and has this "clumsiness" where she'll trip and fall into a guy which results in him touching her boob or butt. She then berates them for sexual harassment. In her introduction scene I didn't even see her trip but in a blink of an eye, Shinra was just standing there awkwardly, and then his hand was under her bikini top and on her boob.  He doesn't even know how it got there and he's not a lecherous character. She yells at him and "trips again" and now he has his hands on her butt. I just don't understand this type of character at all. It really breaks my immersion and is just awkward, and not in a funny way. Looking up the show, this is her entire character. She has the power to give herself fire cat powers, but other than that she's just there for fan service and to accidentally get groped.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1125 on: 07 Dec 2020, 19:46 »

I just finished Season 2 of Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon R). Its pretty good. I know a lot of fans hate the Ail and An arc but I honestly enjoyed them. We watched the first episode of season 3 (Sailor Moon S) and I am not sure if they got new artists or if it was part of the manga, but the villainesses are extremely busty. I noticed it but thought it was just what I observed until my wife said something. When watching the preview for the next episode, the next monster is a well endowed cat woman. My wife and I found this to be very funny.

So far I would sum up the 3 arcs as such:

Season 1 "Dark Kingdom" is Power Rangers without the giant robots, and more about interpersonal relationships.

Season 2 "Ail and An" arc is about an alien couple that cuck each other while feeding their house plant.

Season 3 "Black Moon" arc is Back to the Future and Terminator put in a blender.

I am not sure whats in store for season 3, but my wife is excited (she's been watching Sailor Moon Crystal). Also poor Mamoru, dude can't catch a break. Good show so far.

Gyrre

« Reply #1126 on: 07 Dec 2020, 23:58 »

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu if you're after something utterly ridiculous.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1127 on: 24 Jul 2021, 10:19 »

I recently burned through the whole of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series.

It's actually had a profound effect on me - adjusted my viewpoint on things somewhat.

Some truly gruesome, horrible, sickening things happen in this show - it is almost relentlessly dark with plot, even if there are quite a few gags to lighten the tone. I've often said that I don't really understand people who are fans of things that are predominantly dark, who have ideas in them as disturbing as, say,
(click to show/hide)

But having watched it all the way through now... this show clearly has issues with religious fundamentalism, but is not critical of having a religion in itself. There is a terrorist character, but one who is depicted with complete sympathy as a human being outside of his actions. It's pretty heavily anti-fascist, down to the head of state being called the Fuhrer, and the military having committed countless atrocities. It's a show that depicts humanity happening upon knowledge of what they COULD do, but questions about whether that means that people SHOULD do it. None of the heroes are without failures or mistakes. Few of the villains are completely lacking in sympathy. I'm just, really fucking impressed.

It's also given me a taste for anime back again after Netflix took Death Note off while I was still watching it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1128 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:31 »

I'm glad you watched the first anime.  These days FMA Brotherhood is people's default.

There's good reason for that, in that it follows the manga to the end - in 2003 less than half the manga was written, so much of FMA 2003 is anime original, and the main plot is fundamentally different.  But it was well done, and I marginally prefer it to Brotherhood which has pacing issues - at the start it rushes through the parts already animated in the earlier version, and towards the end the plot slows down and is stretched out far too much (a problem in the manga as well, which it follows faithfully in this regard).

Both are worth watching, but perhaps not back to back.  FMA 2003 has a film sequel (The Conqueror of Shamballa) which gets very mixed reactions.  It takes place mainly in a version of Nazi Germany in the 1920s.  I think it's worth watching, even if not as good as the series - it gives more closure to the brothers' story as well.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1129 on: 26 Jul 2021, 11:42 »

I watched much of the first half of Brotherhood with my students and found it very irritating. I now plan on giving it another shot, just to see where the plot goes. And I will eventually, I think, read the manga.

Gyrre

« Reply #1130 on: 09 Aug 2021, 09:18 »

Ascedance of a Book Worm

Noralities makes a good case for it and Dr. Stone while comparing and contrasting the two.

a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1131 on: 14 May 2022, 12:37 »

I've been watching Komi can't communicate on Netflix and its pretty good. I can;t wait for the dub of season 2 so my kids can watch it (they very much enjoyed season 1 but are too young to read the sub for season 2) Season 2 is currently releasing new episodes every Wednesday. I must say the Dub is pretty good and I thought it was cool they gave Najimi They/their/them pronouns. Yamai is my least favorite character, but her introductory episode, while practically a horror movie, was entertaining. Especially the voice change she does in the Dub. It was like night and day when she switched from her cutsie voice to her serious voice.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1132 on: 28 May 2022, 20:53 »

I just started watching Spy x Family on Crunchyroll. I really like the premise and its been really good. I even got my wife to watch the first few episodes and she's hooked!

2 rival neighboring nations (Westalis and Ostania) are involved in a cold war. One of the members of the nationalistic party in Ostania is trying to make the cold war a hot one. In response Westalis sends in their best spy, Agent Twilight. He assumes the name Loid Forger and finds out the only way to get close to the target is by meeting them at social gatherings at an affluent and very private school. So Loid will have to create a fake family to fit in and get a child into the school. Loid visits a sketchy orphanage (no papertrail) and selects the smartest kid there, a 6 year old little girl named Anya. Anya however has her own secret, she escaped from a government experiment and is secretly a telepath. After getting her to pass the entrance exam, they will have to do a family interview and will need someone to fill the role of the mother. They bump into a pretty lady named Yor. She's in her late 20s and is single which makes her suspicious to the authorities. She doesn't want to raise suspicion because she is secretly an assassin for a private organization. They strike up a deal, they will pretend to be married so that she can appear to be normal and he can get Anya into the private school to get closer to his target. No one in this pretend family knows anyone else's secret, except Anya because she can read minds.

We're 4 episodes in so far and it is very funny and entertaining. We're watching the English dub on Crunchyroll but the original Japanese with English subtitles is on Hulu. My kids like Anya but they had to skip the second episode because it was too violent.

TL;DR: Mr and Mrs Smith if they adopted 11 from Stranger Things.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1133 on: 29 May 2022, 01:31 »

it was cool they gave Najimi They/their/them pronouns.

I've noticed that in other Netflix series.  Komi is on my list, but I haven't started it.

I am up to date with Spy x Family though - it's good fun, but really very silly indeed.  I can't imagine wanting to watch it again.

The show I am most invested in this season is Dance, dance, danceur, about a boy who wants to be a ballet dancer.  It has inevitable similarities with other shows about boys who want to do something arty (Forest of Piano, Blue Period).  They have made the main character curiously ugly though, and (perhaps to stylise the ballet sequences more) there is a tendency to hugely stretch leg lengths.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1134 on: 22 Jun 2022, 05:24 »

I've just started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1135 on: 22 Jun 2022, 17:40 »

One of us, one of us.

I'm finally watching Demon Slayer after having read through the manga twice

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1136 on: 13 Sep 2022, 10:50 »

I've been looking out old anime curiosities.  I'm currently halfway through each of three six-parters.

10 Tokyo Warriors (1999 OAV) is pretty poor stuff - I'm not sure I'll bother to finish it.  There is a supernatural setup not dissimilar to X ; but there is no useful description, so you're wondering what it's all about for quite a while.  I gather that the second half is another arc, with a timeskip and unexplained differences.  The arcs are taken selectively from a series of light novels.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, known in English as Looking Up at the Half-Moon, also started as a series of light novels.  It was adapted as a 6-episode anime TV series, followed the same year by a 13-episode live-action TV series, and a few years later by a live-action film.  It's unusual in being set entirely in a hospital (except that the protagonists often slip out for various reasons).  It's a romance, with one party having a probably terminal illness, for which they will have a potentially fatal operation - this (but nothing else) is like Your Lie in April.  I think the 2006 anime version is rather sweet - quite gentle, and mostly not too absurd.  The plot uses Night on the Galactic Railroad, both as a book which is read by the characters, and as having plot elements that could relate to their story; it's more deeply embedded, actually, than the similar usage in the film Giovanni's Island.  Reviews vary strongly from loving it to hating it.

Please Save My Earth (original title is in English) is a 1993 OVA with six 30-minute episodes.  The story covers less than half of a 21-volume manga.  The story involves a group of children who discover that they have the memories of seven now-dead aliens (not necessarily of the same gender) who had been isolated on the Earth's moon when their civilisation was destroyed by an unimaginable weapon.  So the story has two parallel paths, tracing the behaviour of the trapped aliens and the realisation of what happened in their pasts by the children.  There may be some low-level time-travel shenanigans as well, as one of the aliens is seen to be aware of her reincarnation in Japan.  Although the initial build-up is slow, this series is clearly posing moral dilemmas for the viewer to ponder.  I'm pretty sure I'll go on to read the manga as well.  Music in the anime is by Yoko Kanno, which is an additional recommendation.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2022, 12:18 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1137 on: 13 Sep 2022, 10:51 »

LATER: I finished Looking Up at the Half-Moon.  I can't understand those who criticise the story for being bland.  Sure, it starts gently, but the 5th episode in particular, and the ending have a decent amount of drama.  My earlier assessment of "sweet" was undervaluing it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1138 on: 11 Oct 2022, 23:07 »

I've been watching "Bastard!! Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy" on Netflix. Its based on the manga from the 80s and it shows (think of those "Heavy Metal" movies and magazines). Apparently it had its own animation adaptation back in the late 90s and Netflix decided to give it the remake treatment in 2022.

The premise:
Hundreds of years after an apocalyptic event created by an entity known as Anthrasax, that rocked the earth has kicked humanity back to the medieval era, but now with magic, monsters, etc. An evil wizard named Dark Schneider and his forces tried to take over the world, but he was defeated by Prince Lars Ul Metallicana whom sacrificed himself to seal Dark Schneider into the body of a baby boy named Lucien. Fast forward 15 years and the Kingdom of Metallicana is under attack by new dark forces. It's up to the naive young boy's caretaker Tia Yoko to unseal the dark lord to save the kingdom. She does as evil wizard Osbourne invades the castle. So Dark Schneider appears and is a total asshole. He defeats Ozzy who was working for the new dark lord. Now the new Dark Lord, an old friend of Dark Schneider's as are many of his generals, tries to find out if he will stop their plans of restarting that same apocalyptic event that destroyed the world before.

TL;DR: In a world of sword and sorcery the kingdom named after Metallica summons Sauron to fight a bunch of other dark lords and everyone/thing is named after 80s metal bands and band members. Its cheesy as hell and it knows it. Fair warning as I didn't know this going in but there is a lot of T&A, both male and female, as well as gore. Considering the source material is 80s sword and sorcery, it makes sense.

Also the music is awesome!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1139 on: 18 Oct 2022, 18:27 »

Since Komi Can't Communicate has yet to have a season 3 announcement, I started reading the manga online (should this go in the webcomic section?) and today's chapter ending has me shook.

(click to show/hide)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1140 on: 04 Nov 2022, 09:38 »

Hey... I'm trying to find a legal source for Urusei Yatsura?  I can only find the films, or four-episode DVDs of the series for an arm and a leg.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1141 on: 04 Nov 2022, 12:56 »

The 2022 version is on Hidive (and apparently Disney+ in some places), though there's only four episodes that have aired at all so far. AnimEigo's license for the 1981 series expired in 2011 but it has recently been licensed by Diskotek. They are apparently going to start shipping sub-only (EDIT: subtitle, not subscriber) box sets in 2023.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2022, 06:16 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1142 on: 04 Nov 2022, 13:44 »

I'm kind of only interested in the 1981 series.  Honestly, I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm slightly tempted to be bi and do crime.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #1143 on: 04 Nov 2022, 16:16 »

Don't do crime.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up