Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Muse  (Read 21097 times)

Zingoleb

Muse
« on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:24 »

I'm curious what people think of Muse

or more straight-forwardly

why are people always hating on Muse so much?

Durin

• Furry furrier
Re: Muse
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:42 »

I've always liked Muse. Except that new album is totally shit.

People hate on Muse because they're pretty popular and that will bring out people to hate on them. For example, a lot of people hate Justin Bieber. It's really the same reasoning.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:46 »

I can't tell if your whole post is sarcastic or not
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:55 »

Muse are great. I think its a combination of Matt's vocals and generally being prog-related that puts people off. Especially The Resistance, that wasn't a very good album for casual-semi serious listeners like myself. Some songs were different and well crafted, others were different and rubbish. In terms of their fanbase everyone expects a new Absolution but I can't see that happening.

Is anyone else bothered just how much Bellamy emulated Brian May's sound on their last album?

the_pied_piper

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2011, 12:08 »

Muse are great.

Have to disagree vehemently. Every time Muse release a new song it is pretty much a carbon copy of the last one and they do it unashamedly.

I hear that they put on a good live show though.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2011, 12:14 »

People hate on Muse because they're pretty popular and that will bring out people to hate on them. For example, a lot of people hate Justin Bieber. It's really the same reasoning.

Yeah I've always figured this was the case here in the UK anyway. They're one of those distinctly-above-average, nothing-special-but-quite-good bands who mysteriously get terrifyingly huge, meaning people who don't like them and wouldn't have listened to them normally are exposed to them. Leads to fear, hate, the dark side etc.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2011, 12:16 »

Have to disagree vehemently. Every time Muse release a new song it is pretty much a carbon copy of the last one and they do it unashamedly.

They're like a punk band in that aspect, but not good.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2011, 12:21 »

muse is like radiohead, but designed for profit.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2011, 12:28 »

Matt Bellamy is one of the most scarily talented musicians to be in a popular, mainstream successful band of today. Unfortunately, since the success of Black Holes and Revelations, he has shamelessly squandered that talent with some incredibly misjudged and increasingly poor songs (I belong to you, Guiding Light spring to mind) and it's a real shame, go back to Origin of Symmetry or Absolution and that talent is very much obvious.

And also, as has been mentioned already, The Resistance is shit. The whole concept doesn't hang together, one moment he's inciting Teddy Bear revolution, the next he's clumsily referencing 1984, then he's singing in French in one of my all time least favourite songs (twice as disappointing from previously one of my favourite bands) and finally he rips off Beethoven etc. It's pretentious and indulgent in ways that only the worst prog rock ever was.

@Sean; Musically, Radiohead comparisons ceased being valid about 7 years ago. =P
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2011, 12:29 by Ctharlhie94 »

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2011, 13:01 »

I liked Muse a lot when I was a sophomore in high school.

Not so much now.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2011, 13:40 »

I have no problem with Muse. I really appreciate "Time Is Running Out". I wouldn't call them one of my favorite bands, though. I don't think it's unreasonable to say their music doesn't totally appeal to me while still admitting they are talented dudes.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2011, 14:20 »

Not so much now.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2011, 14:37 »

They do put on one hell of a show though

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2011, 15:38 »

Whoa I feel like we had this exact thread already.

Am I being punk'd?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

sean

• welp
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2011, 16:26 »

@Sean; Musically, Radiohead comparisons ceased being valid about 7 years ago. =P

i dont understand this statement, why can't one compare something to radiohead? is it against the rules?

sean

• welp
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2011, 16:27 »

i mean last time i checked muse was a bad radiohead ripoff for the masses.

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2011, 17:02 »

Not so much now.

This is mostly the case for me. Except replace Sophomore with Freshman. Over time I just grew out of the music. I mean Origin of Symmetry is probably still in my top 10 albums because its just pretty dang above average and it brings back some good memories. And so every few months or so I'll put it on just for nostalgia's sake. Though to be honest, there's loads of better music out there.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2011, 17:05 by Durin »

imagist42

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2011, 17:04 »

sean I'm pretty sure he meant Radiohead comparisons to Muse stopped being valid a while ago

this is pretty much true I mean the two sound nothing alike any more except for crooning vocals
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:20 »

When Marx undertook his critique of the capitalistic mode of production, this mode was in its infancy. Marx directed his efforts in such a way as to give them prognostic value. He went back to the basic conditions underlying capitalistic production and through his presentation showed what could be expected of capitalism in the future. The result was that one could expect it not only to exploit the proletariat with increasing intensity, but ultimately to create conditions which would make it possible to abolish capitalism itself.

The transformation of the superstructure, which takes place far more slowly than that of the substructure, has taken more than half a century to manifest in all areas of culture the change in the conditions of production. Only today can it be indicated what form this has taken. Certain prognostic requirements should be met by these statements. However, theses about the art of the proletariat after its assumption of power or about the art of a classless society would have less bearing on these demands than theses about the developmental tendencies of art under present conditions of production. Their dialectic is no less noticeable in the superstructure than in the economy. It would therefore be wrong to underestimate the value of such theses as a weapon. They brush aside a number of outmoded concepts, such as creativity and genius, eternal value and mystery – concepts whose uncontrolled (and at present almost uncontrollable) application would lead to a processing of data in the Fascist sense. The concepts which are introduced into the theory of art in what follows differ from the more familiar terms in that they are completely useless for the purposes of Fascism. They are, on the other hand, useful for the formulation of revolutionary demands in the politics of art.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:26 »

11:20] KharBevNor: Every time someone posts in the Muse thread
[11:21] KharBevNor: I'm going to reply with another section of The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
[11:22] emilio: what will you do when you run out?
[11:23] KharBevNor: Complete correspondence of V.I. Lenin
[11:23] emilio: hmm
[11:24] KharBevNor: Or maybe I will think of something more relevant before then
[11:24] emilio: i do think that people benefit from reading
[11:24] KharBevNor: Certainly more than they benefit from Muse

I have never liked Muse though I did enjoy that one video.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:30 »

In principle a work of art has always been reproducible. Man-made artifacts could always be imitated by men. Replicas were made by pupils in practice of their craft, by masters for diffusing their works, and, finally, by third parties in the pursuit of gain. Mechanical reproduction of a work of art, however, represents something new. Historically, it advanced intermittently and in leaps at long intervals, but with accelerated intensity. The Greeks knew only two procedures of technically reproducing works of art: founding and stamping. Bronzes, terra cottas, and coins were the only art works which they could produce in quantity. All others were unique and could not be mechanically reproduced. With the woodcut graphic art became mechanically reproducible for the first time, long before script became reproducible by print. The enormous changes which printing, the mechanical reproduction of writing, has brought about in literature are a familiar story. However, within the phenomenon which we are here examining from the perspective of world history, print is merely a special, though particularly important, case. During the Middle Ages engraving and etching were added to the woodcut; at the beginning of the nineteenth century lithography made its appearance. With lithography the technique of reproduction reached an essentially new stage. This much more direct process was distinguished by the tracing of the design on a stone rather than its incision on a block of wood or its etching on a copperplate and permitted graphic art for the first time to put its products on the market, not only in large numbers as hitherto, but also in daily changing forms. Lithography enabled graphic art to illustrate everyday life, and it began to keep pace with printing. But only a few decades after its invention, lithography was surpassed by photography. For the first time in the process of pictorial reproduction, photography freed the hand of the most important artistic functions which henceforth devolved only upon the eye looking into a lens. Since the eye perceives more swiftly than the hand can draw, the process of pictorial reproduction was accelerated so enormously that it could keep pace with speech. A film operator shooting a scene in the studio captures the images at the speed of an actor’s speech. Just as lithography virtually implied the illustrated newspaper, so did photography foreshadow the sound film. The technical reproduction of sound was tackled at the end of the last century. These convergent endeavors made predictable a situation which Paul Valery pointed up in this sentence:

“Just as water, gas, and electricity are brought into our houses from far off to satisfy our needs in response to a minimal effort, so we shall be supplied with visual or auditory images, which will appear and disappear at a simple movement of the hand, hardly more than a sign.”

Around 1900 technical reproduction had reached a standard that not only permitted it to reproduce all transmitted works of art and thus to cause the most profound change in their impact upon the public; it also had captured a place of its own among the artistic processes. For the study of this standard nothing is more revealing than the nature of the repercussions that these two different manifestations – the reproduction of works of art and the art of the film – have had on art in its traditional form.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

imagist42

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:39 »

will you do this for every single post or just every time you see it has new replies?

imagist42

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:39 »

like, if I do a whole lot of successive posting, do I get to read more? because I'm fascinated

imagist42

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2011, 18:40 »

maybe you should post enough to compensate for the whole thread retroactively

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2011, 19:01 »

Why I hate Muse:

Seriously I dont hate Muse. I just feel like that as a whole the do not deserve the credit they are getting. I have honestly tried to listen to their albums and all I've gotten out of them is me going 'oh radiohead with a bit more rock'. Which I guess is not a bad thing, but I seriously do no understand the hordes and hordes of people that like Muse. I mean, as far as a band goes, Muse is honestly one of the most boring bands to like. And I've heard people that like 'early' Muse agree with me about this.

It's a band that technically isn't bad, but for some reason have shot into superstardom without any apparent reason beyond they have a strong fan base.

Basically. I hate Muse because their fans are obsessive, and while they're not that bad of a band it's the fact that they can do no wrong (even if it is produce a song that actually had me laughing AT them when I first heard it) in the eyes of their fans. Whatever they do, it'll be OKAY.

And that pisses me off. If you can't disagree with a band you used to be really into, even if they're new stuff is arguably quite shit, than what the fuck are you doing? You're listening to a band for the band's sake, as opposed to the music.

EDIT: yeah whatever I was pretty drunk when I wrote this post.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 09:33 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2011, 19:04 »

On the other hand, when a person tells me "I like Muse" I reconsider everything I know about them, and re-evaluate my friendship with them. I am that big of a douchebag.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2011, 19:08 »

I guess what I'm saying is

i drink concentrated oj
can i think consolidated's okay?
it's not the band i hate, it's their fans
three cans of water perverts me

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2011, 21:15 »

hordes has an 'e' dude

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2011, 21:35 »

I used to be really into Origin of Symmetry. I can still listen to some of their better tracks from time to time, but I find Bellamy's voice really irritating.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2011, 21:43 »

As far as I can tell, yeah, a lot of the hate for Muse comes from a perceived gross over-enthusiasm for a band that others hear and think of as "meh!" or even just annoying. I am not a huge fan of overly melodramatic or bombastic rock music, so I don't much like Muse.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2011, 00:56 »

I don't think I've ever heard Muse, certainly not knowingly, however even if I had I probably wouldn't remember that the song I was hearing was from a band called Muse because that is the most boring name for a band ever. Spectacularly, almost heroically boring.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:06 »

My main beef with Muse is that the chick who does the request show on weeknights on Triple J just won't shut the hell up about them. Every bloody day she has the same inane conversation with some boring caller about Muse and/or Muse fan forums. This is not good radio!

Also their music is boring and their lyrics seem like just cool sounding words thrown together without any thought as to whether it makes sense or not.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 01:08 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:32 »

Muse sounds like Radiohead by way of Journey. That is to say, who cares?

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:02 »

Muse are a band that is perfect for people who have recently discovered that there is social value in getting familiar enough with a single band to be able to (reasonably eloquently) sing their praises to members of the opposite sex.  Those who find that they succeed in this, also find that it works better as you get older and seek out better music (and older and more interesting members of the opposite sex).  Those who do not find success do not progress, and are claimed by this vicious circle unless they find new mating strategies.

People who enjoy Muse are as likely as not to go on to develop quite respectable taste in music, in my experience.  Precisely as likely as not, in fact.  It's a coin flip.  Liking Muse can be a very important, if early, step on a long and considerably interesting path of musical exploration, or it can become a relatively benign if cumbersome growth on the stunted and twisted tree that is the iTunes library of a 26-year-old man who still has acne, a ponytail, and multiple buttondown shirts with dragons on them.

Basically, the more you get laid, the less listening to Muse is in your future ... even though it might've gotten you laid a couple times before getting laid was really a regular thing in your life.  There's a small window when it's totally probably kind of sweet to listen to Muse on the regular (or so I've gathered) ... and it's right around junior year of high school, as long as you hang out with the theater kids who actually lose their virginity before graduation instead of the computer-lab kids who don't.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2011, 05:43 »

like, if I do a whole lot of successive posting, do I get to read more? because I'm fascinated

You can read the whole thing here. If you enjoy it you could probably find a used copy of Illuminations pretty easily. It is a pretty good collection of his work.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2011, 05:54 »

You ruined it, just like Muse ruined music.

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2011, 07:52 »

Muse are like AC/DC, they bring out a new album and every single one of their songs sounds exactly the same as a track on their last album.
I'm sure that if they put their minds to it, they could produce something absolutely brilliant, as they are all, especially Bellamy, brilliant musicians, but they just disappoint me every time.

There are differences in theme, tone and musical arrangement from Origin of Symmetry to Absolution to Black Holes and Revelations, The Resistance is the first album where they've simply repeated themselves.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2011, 08:08 »

You're obviously not getting the theme or tone of this thread.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

imagist42

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2011, 10:18 »

Or they just don't give a fuck.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:20 »

You ruined it, just like Muse ruined music.

Sorry :( I don't often find people expressing a genuine interest in Walter Benjamin so I got excited.

imagist42

« Reply #40 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:49 »

Yeah, sorry but if you thought that interest was genuine you... well, you were wrong.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #41 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:17 »

See I liked when I could pretend that Khar just made up those big copy-paste things- just thought about a topic, came up with a dissertation and only wrote down a couple paragraphs from the middle.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan 2011, 14:08 »

Matt Bellamy is one of the most scarily talented musicians to be in a popular, mainstream successful band of today. Unfortunately, since the success of Black Holes and Revelations, he has shamelessly squandered that talent with some incredibly misjudged and increasingly poor songs (I belong to you, Guiding Light spring to mind) and it's a real shame, go back to Origin of Symmetry or Absolution and that talent is very much obvious.

And also, as has been mentioned already, The Resistance is shit. The whole concept doesn't hang together, one moment he's inciting Teddy Bear revolution, the next he's clumsily referencing 1984, then he's singing in French in one of my all time least favourite songs (twice as disappointing from previously one of my favourite bands) and finally he rips off Beethoven etc. It's pretentious and indulgent in ways that only the worst prog rock ever was.

This. This is exactly what is wrong with Muse. Good posting, new guy.

Even very early on I always thought of Muse as being a band in flux between their desire to sound like Radiohead and their desire to sound like Queen. And like most bands with two obvious + prominent influences, their best work was done when they struck a balance between those two influences and didn't lean too heavily on one or the other. Muse in particular are interesting because their career is very linear in this respect, starting as a band that ripped off Radiohead with a little bit of Queen and slowly introducing more Queen up until Black Holes and Revelations, at which point they became more Queen than Radiohead. The sweet spot of this being Absolution and then Origin of Symmetry and BH&R, in that order.

Also, Bellamy was never that hot of a lyricist in the the first place, and always took himself way too seriously in that respect but that was OK because he only wrote vague stuff about feelings and shit anyway. But then around BH&R he decided it would be a good idea to start writing (what considers to be) politically charged stuff with all this half-cocked talk about "revolution" and fighting the man and whatnot, which he then sings in gigantic stadium multimedia productions funded by Warner Bros. charging upwards of $100 for tickets. It's this kind of cod-political songwriting that lacks any kind of actual ideological center, because obviously coming out against anybody except roughly sketched boogiemen runs the risk of alienating somebody, anybody, which is bad for record sales et al. It also makes a lot of sense re: what has already been established in this thread as Muse's main appeal, which is to 15 year olds, basically, where it is quite common to feel a non-specific, unfocused outrage against "the man", without any actual articulation of who or what the man is or represents.

EDIT: A lot of these sentences don't even approach making grammatical sense but I'm not gonna change them because I don't give a fuck. I am aware of it though.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 15:10 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2011, 17:15 »

Yeah, sorry but if you thought that interest was genuine you... well, you were wrong.

My heart, she is broken.

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991
« Reply #44 on: 19 Jan 2011, 17:21 »

Why I hate Muse:

Seriously I dont hate Muse. I just feel like that as a whole the do not deserve the credit they are getting. I have honestly tried to listen to their albums and all I've gotten out of them is me going 'oh radiohead with a bit more rock'. Which I guess is not a bad thing, but I seriously do no understand the hordes and hordes of people that like Muse. I mean, as far as a band goes, Muse is honestly one of the most boring bands to like. And I've heard people that like 'early' Muse agree with me about this.

To be fair, most probably do what I did which was to unintentionally discover Muse before you unintentionally discover Radiohead. And if it was also at the point where Hullaballoo and Absolution were the latest albums then you get pretty swept up in that.

I agree that they are a tight band musically and I do enjoy a lot of their stuff. But also, as others have stated, it was more of a high school fad. I really don't listen to them much anymore. I did see them live once last year and they were damn good.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:47 »

Whoa I feel like we had this exact thread already.

Am I being punk'd?

I have a temptation now to just recreate threads from early in this board's history. Just start an identical topic and see if the course of the thread remains true.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #46 on: 20 Jan 2011, 15:05 »

See I liked when I could pretend that Khar just made up those big copy-paste things- just thought about a topic, came up with a dissertation and only wrote down a couple paragraphs from the middle.

That's actually what I did the last time I was copy-pasting chunks of text. I just lifted paragraphs out of order from my Fine Art BA dissertation. I've run out of dissertation now though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #47 on: 20 Jan 2011, 16:24 »

I wrote half of that shit an hour before the due in time.

I've done that all my life.  It's worked for me in general, but is leading to a dramatically high-tension few days right now (it would be out of place to explain, but in case there is even one person who understands: MHRA inspection! )
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #48 on: 20 Jan 2011, 19:11 »

i feel so accomplished for recognizing walter benjamin woo

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #49 on: 20 Jan 2011, 19:29 »

Muse are definitely a high school band.  That said, OoS and Absolution remain pretty great.  They've plummeted since.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up