Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muse  (Read 21009 times)

Retne

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Muse
« Reply #50 on: 20 Jan 2011, 23:15 »

I liked a couple of muse songs off the first 2 albums but not enough to actually seek out their music. Then I heard a new single from them maybe 5 years later and wondered how they managed to sound so shitty. Like many here have said they weren't that amazing to begin with but they could have been better rather than devolving the way they did. Oh well, such is life.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #51 on: 21 Jan 2011, 08:52 »

Judging by the avatar, I'd say middle school.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #52 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:30 »

:laugh:

No, I'm 21.  Which isn't too far from highschool I guess.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #53 on: 21 Jan 2011, 14:23 »

i tried to watch a Muse video on Youtube once

i did not succeed
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

imagist42

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jan 2011, 15:05 »

The sanity police intercepted you?
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #55 on: 21 Jan 2011, 15:19 »

it was boring at it's best and shit at it's worst, so i turned it off after a minute or two
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #56 on: 22 Jan 2011, 16:58 »

Muse is not a terrible band, they're just so utterly mediocre it's hard to believe the mass adoration they enjoy. It's just completely ball-less, mediocre Radiohead does not-quite-prog for the Hot Topic shopper.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 22 Jan 2011, 19:22 »

i feel so accomplished for recognizing walter benjamin woo

me too.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #58 on: 22 Jan 2011, 19:23 »

muse's lyrics are patently sillier than bruce springsteen tommy you are talking a crock of shit

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #59 on: 23 Jan 2011, 00:03 »

Going rather outside the scope of whether or not they're good or bad, I think most people dislike them because they have somehow found out that they provided lots of "Muse" for much of the Twilight series.  Apparently, Stephanie Meyers even says that some of the sections of her books are blatant ripoffs of whole Muse songs.
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jan 2011, 00:42 »

People hate Muse? Fluff, where have I been?

I only have apathy towards them. I like their "Feeling Good" cover... That's pretty much all I can say about them.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #61 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:43 »

However, Muse's most recent album lacked the actual musical depth to hide the pseudo-political waffle beneath.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #62 on: 23 Jan 2011, 07:53 »

Going rather outside the scope of whether or not they're good or bad, I think most people dislike them because they have somehow found out that they provided lots of "Muse" for much of the Twilight series.  Apparently, Stephanie Meyers even says that some of the sections of her books are blatant ripoffs of whole Muse songs.

I dunno, a bunch of really good artists provided music to the Twilight soundtrack. Lots of people would be without music to listen to if they followed that reasoning.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #63 on: 23 Jan 2011, 16:36 »

Yeah, I was just saying that socio-political rhetoric does not have to be devastatingly incisive to justify inclusion in a song.

that's fair!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jan 2011, 21:05 »

I dunno, a bunch of really good artists provided music to the Twilight soundtrack. Lots of people would be without music to listen to if they followed that reasoning.

I still love Grizzly Bear.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jan 2011, 21:58 »

They were in the soundtrack for the second one.  Looking at both; it's heaps better than the original, and nowhere near dripping in the same level of angst that Meyers seems to adore.  Which really seems to be her angle; or 'angst'-le, if you will.  Muse does do angst pretty well and as an unfortunate side effect (if they were trying to get away from that) are in every soundtrack thus far. 

Apparently the only other big non-advertisement appearance they made was on the Swordfish soundtrack.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #66 on: 23 Jan 2011, 23:44 »

...or 'angst'-le, if you will. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #67 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:21 »

I don't really find Muse THAT similar to Radiohead. Maybe because I just don't get the same feelings when I listen to them. Radiohead feels more depressive for me.

I like Muse, but I just got into them for a only a while ago since I'm mostly into metal stuff so I'm not a fan at all and I don't think I will never be one. I just like them but I don't think they are hate-worthy or fanboy-worthy at all.

So for me, all the hate comments are sort of... meh.  :|

Ctharlhie94

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #68 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:18 »

I love Radiohead, and I think it's just seen as cool to bash on muse, I slightly laugh/facepalm at any 'Hurr Durr, Muse is radiohead but more commercial' because:

A. They blatantly haven't properly listened to any Muse recorded in the last 7 years
B.  I'm pretty sure that Radiohead have sold more records than Muse.

If you don't care about the musical distinction about muse and radiohead then fine, I know a lot of people in this thread don't give two shits and just want a good bash. But the Muse=More Commercial Radiohead is really retarded.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #69 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:40 »

Lol, people make that claim? I've never seen or heard anyone say that. I just think Bellamy sounds exactly like Thom Yorke, but makes the vocal style irritating.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #70 on: 24 Jan 2011, 19:08 »

They sound like Radiohead in the way that many, many, many English bands of a certain vintage sound like Radiohead
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #71 on: 24 Jan 2011, 20:43 »

Bellamy doesn't have that oh so charming lazy eye!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #72 on: 25 Jan 2011, 01:08 »

Nation of Ulysses were all talk really but they sure made some incredible music.

can we just talk about nation of ulysses instead. 13 point program to destroy america is fuckin' sweeeet.

i haven't heard a lot by muse but what i did hear sounded more liike a queen rip-off than a radiohead rip-off. except the vocals are more annoying.
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jan 2011, 01:08 »

Lol, people make that claim? I've never seen or heard anyone say that. I just think Bellamy sounds exactly like Thom Yorke, but makes the vocal style irritating.

The highlighted part of your post was unnecessary.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #74 on: 25 Jan 2011, 04:05 »

Has anyone else noticed how, when Matt Bellamy starts singing, he never fucking shuts up. Listen to pretty much any Muse song, as soon as he hits a note he always holds it till the next note and does this weird hurrrrrRrrRRrRrRrr sound. It is a vocal tick that has driven me to murder, and I liked Muse once upon a time.

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #75 on: 25 Jan 2011, 07:47 »

On the other hand, when a person tells me "I like Muse" I reconsider everything I know about them, and re-evaluate my friendship with them. I am that big of a douchebag.

I 'like' Muse. Sort of, I refer you back to the quotations. I like a few of their songs, I bought an album once, I think. It was a while ago.

I subconsciously scale all bands on sort of a 10 point system. I believe I've already mentioned that by brain is weird. Muse are either a 5 or 6 depending on my mood and on the song, so I average it at 5.5. This approximately translates to:

This song/album/artist neither offends me nor sturs feelings of pleasure. It is bland, but not horribly so. If played at a party it will but accepted, neither actively or grudgingly. It simply is. If this refers to an album or band then one or two songs may crop up on playlists as exceptions to the rule.

As such I don't dislike Muse, and like one or two songs, which precariously pushes them into the 'like' range. I don't genuinely like the band or even most of their songs, their just not worth the effort to hate or even ignore.

Sorry, wait...

(Last year's winner: Matt Bellamy)

What?!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #76 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:17 »

NME AWARDS SHORTLIST 2011

Hottest Man

Alex Turner
Billie Joe Armstrong
Dominic Howard
Jared Leto
Matt Bellamy
(Last year's winner: Matt Bellamy)

I wouldn't expect you to know this but Dominic Howard is the drummer for Muse. Muse get two noms in a "Hottest Man" competition for what some would like to pretend is a "music awards show"

WE HATE THE NME
I SAID
WE HATE THE NME
I SAID

WE HATE THE FUCKING NME
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

imagist42

« Reply #78 on: 02 Feb 2011, 10:30 »

Going to a school full of them, I can testify to the fact that it's not just the famous, culturally damaging ones that have a really uncanny inclination towards them.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #79 on: 02 Feb 2011, 12:34 »

Yeah a mormon buddy of mine loves em.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #80 on: 02 Feb 2011, 12:43 »

i know a couple mormons but they've never heard of muse

also, i just googled "NME" since i didn't know what it was and....wow.

that's all. just wow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #81 on: 02 Feb 2011, 14:28 »

Ah, the music magazine of my youth (it started when I was 6 years old) - printed on crappy newsprint in those days, of course.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up