THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Quite On Topic: Reporting Spammers w/o Opening Spam Threads?  (Read 5850 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Didn't know where to put this, so figured putting it here would get notice of our mods:

Is there a way we can report obvious spammers without opening their threads, and by so doing accidentally giving them hits (like with the pharmacy thread)?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Odin

• FIGHT YOU

Didn't know where to put this, so figured putting it here would get notice of our mods:

Is there a way we can report obvious spammers without opening their threads, and by so doing accidentally giving them hits (like with the pharmacy thread)?

No, all you can do is click that nifty little "Report this post to a moderator" link on the bottom right of each post.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

I suppose we could wait till the Moderators see for themselves, but where's the satisfaction in that?

I wouldn't click on any of their links, however. No way, no how, no sir!
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 08:17 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

We do, of course, notice when we next check in (and I check several times a day, unless I am away from home).  Most moderators don't bother with this part of the forum, but reporting a post gets a mail sent to all  mods, so may get it dealt with faster (it's a mail, not a PM, so we can get to see it without having to connect to the forum site).

The procedure is then that the thread gets moved to a hidden Trashbin forum, so that an admin (i.e. Ben/"est") can pick it up and do the necessary banning of the poster, and their IP address.  Ben is also actively developing the spam defences, so he may analyse the post as well before finally deleting it.  If the spam post was added to another thread, we can split it off as a separate thread, and then move that to trash.

In the two months I've been doing this, the number of spams I've dealt with each day (over the whole forum) has dropped from an average of about six to less than one, so I reckon Ben is doing reasonably well at improving the defences at present.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 09:00 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bicostp

• Beyoncé

The procedure is then that the thread gets moved to a hidden Trashbin forum, so that an admin (i.e. Ben/"est") can pick it up and do the necessary banning of the poster, and their IP address.

I've found it much easier to just delete the spambot accounts, taking the posts with them.

Individually banning spambot accounts just clutters the ban list up (they never log back into old accounts), and banning their IP addresses is ineffective unless you ban the whole of China.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 09:51 by bicostp »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I think Ben bans whole ranges, not just individual IPs; and he has noted that a substantial majority are not merely in China, but in a single province.  Anyway, we leave that to him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

At the moment we have maybe 30 IP ranges for China banned, and honestly I think that if I could get a definitive IP range list for China & Russia I'd probably just get rid of both entirely, because 99% of our spam and 0% of our actual membership base come from those areas.

Instead I have installed an add-on that checks in with a forum spam reporting service and marks certain people as possible spammers when they sign up.  These members are then required to get manual signoff before they can activate their accounts.  There is another add-on along those lines that I am looking into, but it requires some planning before installing.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

Paul has pointed out a great site for looking up IP ranges, but the legwork for entering in everything manually restricts me from making full use of it for now.  I'll be looking into ways of entering IP ranges in an automated fashion, then perhaps we can take care of it.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

#1, I thought we had at least one active Chinese member?

#2, if your web browser supports easily turning images off (for example, Opera has that,) it at least prevents the image from loading from the spammer's server, although it still increments the thread view count.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If you mean Akima, she lives in Australia.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

Is there a way we can report obvious spammers without opening their threads, and by so doing accidentally giving them hits?
I was under the impression that they gain nothing if you view the thread... only when you click through on their link and visit the site.

Is that incorrect?

Nick and Marla

• Plantmonster

Is there a way we can report obvious spammers without opening their threads, and by so doing accidentally giving them hits?
I was under the impression that they gain nothing if you view the thread... only when you click through on their link and visit the site.

Is that incorrect?
No, you're right.
If I'm being an jerk, I'm Nick.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

They gain nothing, but they get a log entry showing were their post was successfully displayed.  However, I can't believe that they use the few entries they get from here as positive encouragement to return.  It's one of those things that it's not worth our effort bothering about, either - we just get on with blocking and deleting in any case.

Just FYI, although I only get to remove spam here, and Ben (est) does the work on the server blocking, in my day job I do a lot of spam blocking myself.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Spammers should be dragged into Public Square and given 20 lashes.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

No. That's too GOOD for them.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities

Ebola.  Give them ebola.
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

Olymander

• Larger than most fish

Ebola.  Give them ebola.

No, because then they'd run around trying to spread it.  If you're going to do that, you really need to quarantine them first.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Nuke 'em from orbit.

it's the only way to be sure!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Now yer talking Hicks.    :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up