THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: charles ives' string quartet is about to beat the shit out of you  (Read 4690 times)

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

i made this thread cause i thought the title was funny.

i am pretty sure i am the most useless poster on this forum, (CONTINUE THOUGHT PROCESS HERE DO IT I DARE YOU)

Edit: this thread was made while severely intoxicated, please disregard the above rambling and use this space to discuss how thuggin' charles ives is. or other 20th century music, whatever yr into.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 21:22 by sean »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

No, but you are currently the drunkest.

However, a thread about Charles Ives has little wrong with it.  Just to stir it up, I'll ask: when Ives wrote the title of his organ piece "Adeste fidelis in an organ prelude", was the mis-spelling of "fideles" deliberate or a mistake?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Maybe he was spelling "fiddles" wrong.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

Does anyone have a piece of Ives music and a particular recording of it to recommend? I've been looking for an entry point after reading superlative essays by Guy Davenport on his work. If no one has anything though, I'll continue to try to hunt out a Paul Zukofsky recording, purely based on his relation to Louis.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker

I don't think anyone would really say bad things about starting with 3 Places in New England and The Unanswered Question, the two pieces that people almost universally accept as invaluable additions to the repertoire regardless of their general feelings towards Ives, and just about every major orchestra has a recording of both together in their IVES COMBO PAX.

Edit: Again, this is in my experience, and I quite like them what have you, your results may vary.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

both are those are good ives pieces, but not the one i wanna talk about today.

TODAY i am going to talk to you about Charles Ives's 2nd piano sonata, known as Concord. Ives started writing Concord way back in 1904, but only started serious work on it in 1911 and had it pretty much done by 1915. He decided to publish it 5 years later in 1920, and this was the piece where people finally started to go "oh dang guys you know charles ives he is pretty good i would not fight a string quartet that plays his music those are some hella nasty sounding harmonies."  like a good fucking number of early 20th century composers, ives got most of his melodic material from folk melodies and spirituals, and his music can go from some nice cute folky melody to some really really nasty sounding chords. concord in full is a four movement piece, inspired by Transcendentalism for whatever reason, i guess he was into it. that might sound kinda bullshitty but hes named the 4 movements of this piece after transcendentalist authors (movement titles being Emerson, Hawthrone, The Alcotts, and Thoreau). this is the first half of the first movement, Emerson. if you wanna hear more, youtube is pretty easy to figure out.
WHAT

edit: these are some goofy facts about the piece that i saw on wikipedia that i would like to share with you:
dude was too cool to use barlines in this piece.
one of the chords (i should probably say tone cluster though) involves pressing down on the piano keys with a 14 and 3/4ths inch block of wood.
dude be quotin the opening bars of beethovens 5th in the opening bars because beethoven is hard dont fuck with that dude
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 12:43 by sean »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

CoyoteKnight

• Plantmonster
  • Reality: synapses firing and chemical reactions

If I listen to his quartet, does he promise not to beat me up?
I am the drummer for Minimal Effect, a rock/jazz/funk fusion band from the Canadian Capital.

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=148103255206220
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MinimalEffectMusic?feature=mhum

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Which recording is the best for "Concerto for Tanned Muscular Men in Sleeveless Tuxedos"?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

In 1917 Ives wrote a protest song (words and music), and recorded it.  You can find the recording on YouTube; but here it is with the Kronos Quartet playing along with the recording.

Here are the words he wrote:

They Are There

There's a time in many a life,
when it's do though facing death
and our soldier boys will do their part
that people can live
in a world where all will have a say.
They're conscious always of their country's aim,
which is Liberty for all.
Hip hip hooray you'll hear them say
as they go to the fighting front.

Brave boys are now in action
They are there, they will help to free the world
They are fighting for the right
But when it comes to might,
They are there, they are there, they are there,
As the Allies beat up all the warhogs,
The boys'll be there fighting hard
and then the world will shout
the battle cry of Freedom.
Tenting on a new camp ground.

When we're through this cursed war,
All started by a sneaking gouger,
making slaves of men
Then let all the people rise,
and stand together in brave, kind Humanity.
Most wars are made by small stupid
selfish bossing groups
while the people have no say.
But there'll come a day
Hip hip Hooray
when they'll smash all dictators to the wall.

Then it's build a people's world nation Hooray
Ev'ry honest country free to live its own native life.
They will stand for the right,
but if it comes to might,
They are there, they are there, they are there.
Then the people, not just politicians
will rule their own lands and lives.
Then you'll hear the whole universe
shouting the battle cry of Freedom.
Tenting on a new camp ground.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings

dude was too cool to use barlines in this piece.

My friend is apprenticing with Fred Ho ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ho ) and apparently he hand writes his scores and then xeroxes them to give to his musicians, and on his latest one he does use barlines but marks out the ones initially printed on the paper and draws in his own as he sees fit. He wasn't at one of the first rehearsals for his latest piece and apparently everyone in the room used the wrong barlines the entire rehearsal.

Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK
Pages: [1]   Go Up