THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 15:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bickering about bicycles, now with occasional tips about motorised vehicles  (Read 246699 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

You know, I very occasionally hear about inexperienced cyclists (tourists and exchange students mostly) getting caught in a tram track here in Amsterdam but I've never seen it happen, nor has it happened to me, and I have no problems crossing roads such as these as long as I avoid aligning my front wheel with the track. Are our tram tracks just different?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Tram-tracks in Australia look very much the same. In the video I linked above, the tracks are for trains rather than trams, and might be larger or have wider slots. I think rider familiarity with tram/rail tracks is the key factor. Riding over them is not difficult or dangerous provided that one takes the right angle. It *might* be that narrower wheels and tyres are more prone to "falling into" the track slot, and so require more care, which could be an issue in places (like Australia) where the bicycles mostly offered for sale are more oriented towards cycle-sports than transportation riding.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck

I can confirm this. My polo bike is fitted with tyres which are of a width more common to those used for daily use in places like the Netherlands and Denmark. I've occasionally taken a lazy (or drunk) line over the tracks in my home town and, apart from a light squirm, tracks don't really catch the wheel. OTOH, I have dumped the front wheel of my road bike in tram tracks and it's never a good thing.

For reference, the tyres common to a 29er are almost completely untroubled by tram tracks at pretty much any angle.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Oh, they're train tracks. I would never have guessed; the idea of a train crossing without multiple conspicuous red-and-white signs and automatic barriers I find so alien, it's almost unimaginable. On top of that, the vast majority of train crossings here are also oriented at ninety degrees so it's basically impossible for riders to get caught between the tracks.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

That's pretty much true in Australia too now, however in rural districts you still see level-crossings that are signposted, but not equipped with warning lights or barriers. Drivers are simply expected to stop and look for oncoming trains. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. Even where there are barriers and warning lights, you can't stop idiots from being idiots.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You're also seeing it from overhead.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

That's pretty much true in Australia too now, however in rural districts you still see level-crossings that are signposted, but not equipped with warning lights or barriers. Drivers are simply expected to stop and look for oncoming trains. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. Even where there are barriers and warning lights, you can't stop idiots from being idiots.
Funnily enough, the same is true of my country, even though 'rural' means something very different in a country roughly the size of New York.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'll put this here because it does end up intersecting bicycles, although it's about cars.

‘Wild West’ Ohio Beckons Self-Driving Cars Even After Uber Death

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

This thread cropped up in the Unreads - never seen it before - but a bit of synchronicity, as I saw *this* yesterday

Bike Share Oversupply
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

We have four companies doing bike share in Oxford.  No piles like that, but bikes abandoned in the oddest places!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck

Ofo, Mobike and some of the others have been implementing codes of conduct with local authorities where they want to offer services. I know Ofo have actually lead on this in order to assuage councils that have fears about what happened in China and some of the other places they operate. Part of that is introducing supply in line with demand and usage.

Abandonment in strange places is an occupational hazard of dockless systems but companies are getting better about rounding them up and being responsive to reports from the public.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Ofo and GridBike operate here in Mesa. The bikes are all over the place, but are most notably at bus stops (which isn't surprising, of course).

I haven't tried either one, though I do have the app on my iPad.

Other news: the Giant Revive is back in business, after suffering a flat tire in the front. I now also have a supercool basket on the back, instead of the saddlebag I was using to store stuff. I can actually use the bike for more than just back-and-forth stuff.

Now, I only need to convince the wife to let me use it out on the city streets...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up