Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: howdy  (Read 2318 times)

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
howdy
« on: 25 Jan 2011, 20:28 »

I'm a librarian in South Carolina, originally from Arizona.  I know this isn't a chat room, but are there any other librarians here?

I was never really into webcomics before, except for Unshelved, a pretty good webcomic about working in a library.  Lots of in-jokes, but really funny and true to life from my experience.  Written by a librarian and drawn by a guy who can draw.  Oh, and the occasional XKCD emailed by friends.

I discovered QC through TVTropes - don't remember which trope.  I can tell from lurking that there are LOTS of tropers here.  I thought I did a serious archive binge, starting with #1 sometime in december and "catching up" around Marten's mom's second visit - I see lots of people here say they had done in a day or three what took me a month, so I guess it wasn't much of a binge. But DAMN, catching up was like hitting a wall - I had gotten very spoiled knowing I could sit down and read QC for as long as I wanted without running out of story. I laughed, I cried (arc at #500), it was better than "Cats"... Needless to say, I love it, and I'm also glad that it got me to read other webcomics.  I never knew what I was missing. 

Being a librarian (and married to one, too), I loved it when Marten got a job at the Smif library.  My wife is now the proud owner of the "she blinded me with library science" t-shirt - sadly, she doesn't have time to get sucked into the comic right now.  of course neither do I. :roll:

Oh, and I've already annoyed a moderator.  Glad to have gotten that rite of passage out of the way early - hope it doesn't happen again.  I do mean well, but we all have our less-than-stellar moments, dont we?
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: howdy
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2011, 20:57 »

All librarians are welcome here.

Welcome!

There are a couple of other librarians here (Caleb for one, and I can't remember the others right now).  As the husband of a (retired) librarian, and father of another, I welcome you here.  I also read Unshelved, and as a matter of fact, that's how I found Questionable Content (also about the time that Marten got the library job at Smif).  And I wear a "She Blinded Me With Library Science" t-shirt, as does my son-in-law.

I now live in Arizona, having moved here from Ohio.  I also had a little consulting business for a while, installing the Koha FOSS library system in various places. 

Also, annoying moderators is seldom fatal.

Again, Welcome!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up