THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: e-readers are amazing!  (Read 49501 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Re: e-readers are amazing!
« Reply #150 on: 17 Feb 2011, 17:55 »

If e-readers existed when I was in highschool I would have carried around the entire Robotech series, and probably Dragonlance too.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #151 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:36 »

Hi guys, I just want to show off my sweet Kindle case:

I got the case from a secondhand store at some point last year, and till now I used it to keep sketchbooks in. Not long ago I found out that my Kindle fits perfectly in it, so now I have my Kindle, a moleskine, pen, reading light and a year planner all in one place, it's so good!

(That's it, I just wanted to show off, continue whatever you were talking about now)
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #152 on: 24 Feb 2011, 16:30 »

I noticed yesterday my kindle has a small scratch on the screen. I definitely need a case :|
boldly going nowhere

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #153 on: 24 Feb 2011, 17:27 »

Showed my mother Gutenberg last week.  She has emailed me at least 20 times telling me the books that she's downloaded off of it. On the one hand, she gets her Russian literature and on the other my mother has the NEED to let me know about it. 

I've also noticed how much easier it is for me to read multiple books at a time. I had an incredibly hard time doing this with paperbacks but with the kindle I currently have 3 books that I'm reading right now.  It's quite awesome.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #154 on: 27 Feb 2011, 14:27 »

I got the wifi, non-3G version and am having trouble using the web browser - as in, it just doesn't work (keep getting errors to do with lack of security certificates). Is this a common problem?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #155 on: 27 Feb 2011, 16:53 »

I'm not sure Barmymoo, it has always worked OK for me. Are you using https sites or just http ones?
boldly going nowhere

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #156 on: 28 Feb 2011, 14:01 »

HTTPS seems to be the main issue but both - Amazon itself, yahoo, facebook are the ones i've tried so far.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #157 on: 28 Feb 2011, 18:34 »

Huh. I never thought to use mine as a way to access anything that even required authentication to read - as I use my Kindle to read things. It seemed to scale badly to 'heavy web apps' such as facebook the one time I did try to log into my facebook account.  Perhaps I should have used mobile facebook - that would probably have worked much better.

As a note to people in general: the Kindle web browser isn't hardcore enough to do much of anything but browse relatively simple web pages, in my experience.
boldly going nowhere

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #158 on: 28 Feb 2011, 19:47 »

Same goes for the nook browser.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #159 on: 16 Mar 2011, 17:13 »

soooo... I just got a kindle as an early birthday present.  The library where I work is going to start carrying e-books.  Yay, right?  I was in a conference call with the sales guy from the unnamed ebook vendor (which is pretty much the only game in town for libraries and popular e-books) - the ebooks they carry work with practically every platform known to man....
EXCEPT KINDLE :psyduck:

I know amazon is evil, blah, blah, but it's still annoying. :x
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #160 on: 16 Mar 2011, 17:53 »

yeah, that was the main thing that really put off from getting a Kindle (before I actually got one) but then I realized that I don't even know where a freaking library is in my area, and plus....FREE 3G FOREVER DUH.

so yeah...it's super lame, but considering how completely awesome my Kindle is, it's not a huge deal. It might be a deal-breaker for other people (regular library patrons, for example), but to me it's pretty much just a disappointing footnote.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #161 on: 16 Mar 2011, 18:05 »

Isn't it possible to just convert the files into something usable? I was sure someone posted a link to a program that does that (kind of having a shitty night, I will let someone else do that legwork).

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #162 on: 16 Mar 2011, 18:55 »

Calibre can probably convert files to a Kindle-usable format, but you can't convert any files that have DRM. I'm assuming that library books have that. It's why I love my Nook :D
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #163 on: 16 Mar 2011, 22:16 »

I haven't really ever considered getting any sort of e-reader, but -- for whatever reason, I find myself very curious about it lately -- can you write in the margins somehow? Or is there some way to take notes?
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #164 on: 17 Mar 2011, 03:59 »

The Kindle has a note-taking tool, rather like adding a note in a Word document I think although I haven't used it yet.

Guys, I am kind of regretting not getting the 3G model now, as many of you suggested I would. Do you happen to know if there is a way to upgrade or would I have to buy a new one?

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #165 on: 17 Mar 2011, 04:37 »

I don't *think* there's a way to upgrade but they seem to be pretty resellable so you might be able to recoup some of the cost.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #166 on: 29 Mar 2011, 19:09 »

My technophile dad just gave me his old Nook! He just got a Kindle.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ikrik

« Reply #167 on: 31 Mar 2011, 23:52 »

So, my kindle broke. Sort of.  It kept resetting every single time I turned it off and then on again.  And would let me browse about two or three pages before locking up.  Reset the entire thing (to factory settings) and then upgraded the firmware.  Working perfectly now.

Another con of the kindle, hopefully we haven't discussed this before.  These e-readers, they have problems, they are not perfect.  They can/will break and you won't be able to access what you want to read.  I had to go for a few hours without any entertainment because my ability to read was impaired.  Books do not have that problem.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #168 on: 01 Apr 2011, 00:12 »

Books run out of pages and then poor you didn't bring another one.  I think this happens more often than ereaders kick off and stop working.
boldly going nowhere

Ikrik

« Reply #169 on: 01 Apr 2011, 00:32 »

Yeah, but your book running out of pages is a) forseeable, and 2) easily remedied by having another book. 

A piece of technology not working properly means that you lose access to everything and it can be quite difficult to fix.  Potentially I might have had to send in to Amazon for a replacement.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #170 on: 04 Apr 2011, 17:57 »

I accept the risks for the benefits.  They're worth considering when deciding whether to get an e-reader, though.
boldly going nowhere

Ikrik

« Reply #171 on: 05 Apr 2011, 13:15 »

For sure, I just wish I had fully realized that when I was making the decision.

Still the best purchase I've made this year.  It was also in sleep mode for three days and there was no change in battery life, again I am astounded with this device. 

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #172 on: 05 Apr 2011, 13:46 »

it's pretty amazing how they can just sit there, holding an image on the screen, without actually using any power.

i was amazed when i peeled the plastic instructions sticker off the screen only to realize that it was 100% clear and the instructions were being displayed on the screen...in the box...just waiting.

i was like  :psyduck:
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #173 on: 10 Apr 2011, 18:18 »

I made a thing.

Nerds who know *nix: this lets you put files you write onto your Kindle, without a bunch of rubbish.  If you use Linux and really like reading on your Kindle, this is a thing you want.

markdown-kindle is the thing I made!
boldly going nowhere

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
boldly going nowhere

kozmonaut

• Not quite a lurker
    • FTA Files
« Reply #175 on: 27 Jun 2011, 18:54 »

Hey guys, i have a website all about e-readers if you are looking to compare what is out there and stuff.

http://goodereader.com/blog/

latest reviews are the nook simple touch, amazon kindle special offers and kobo touch.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #176 on: 27 Jul 2011, 06:07 »

Hmmm, I've had a read of the various reviews all over the place and I'm having a hard time deciding between the various e-reader factions. I can't say I've looked at Sony, Bebook or any of the smaller companies very seriously.
Kindle looks nice but I don't like the proprietary formats.
Kobo touch sounds good but is hard to get in Australia.
Nook sounds fine but I haven't seen anyone seriously praising it.

Does anyone have any definite recommendations? I'm pretty much down to those three. I've tried all of them and they all seem good in their own regards.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #177 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:50 »

I love all three nooks, but they're not really meant for use outside of the US. So that could give you some issues. I had the first generation nook and loved it. The touch screen could be a little wonky sometimes. I prefer the Nook Simple Touch - it's the perfect size, and easy to use. You can also borrow from the library with nooks.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #178 on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:49 »

My dad has something called Calibre, which removes the proprietory formatting apparently and does lots of other fancy things. I haven't tried it yet but it might solve the problem for you.

If you do get a Kindle, I heartily recommend the Kindle covers, because I just got one and it's really good!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #179 on: 28 Jul 2011, 07:56 »

Calibre can convert lots of different file types to lots of other file types. It's been very useful for me. It just can't remove DRM.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #180 on: 09 Oct 2011, 08:37 »

It seems I find myself in a similar situation as Barmymoo a few pages ago. I'd like to make myself better-read, so I was thinking of buying either an e-reader or one of the more popular (and more expensive?) tablet pc's. It would also be useful for college textbooks and scientific journals; a lot of my study material is in the form of pdf articles I have to download from a library that the university has a subscription to. A quick look at the available e-readers makes the Nook stand out as nice to have because of Android and WiFi, but since I live on mainland Europe it'll be impossible to get without jumping through some hoops (namely, the Atlantic). So, would I be better off getting a Kindle, or something that's easier used as a computer, or something else entirely?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ackblom12

« Reply #181 on: 09 Oct 2011, 12:40 »

Assuming you got the e-reader and not the tablet, I'd say Kindle since PDFs are a big thing for you. You can root the Nook Touch pretty easily (Still trying to decide if I will rot mine or not) and get all those functions anyway, but it's native for Kindle and doesn't require voiding the warranty. Of course, you can unroot android devices and ignore the warranty problems, so that's not really an issue. With the availability of Calibre I'd say it's mostly a matter of consumer principle which one you choose since they are both quite good at what they do.

When it comes to the tablets they have, I'm not quite as sure. They all have decent note taking tools on them now, though the tablets are a little more intuitive with it. I haven't had a chance to use the Kindle tablet yet, but if you plan to do a lot of actual book reading as well, then I'd still suggest the dedicated e-readers. From what I've seen of the Kindle Fire, it's not going to be that much different from the Nook tablet outside of giving you streaming services if you are a Prime member. The e-ink screens are just a ridiculous step up from reading text on an LCD and I can't really recommend the tablets for that.

I guess if a full browsing experience is important to you, the tablets are a good choice as they'll also give you the full color pdf and slightly better note taking capabilities, but personally I'd go the wi-fi Nook Touch/Kindle touch and download Calibre immediately either way.

Edit: Also, keep in mind if you are seriously looking at the tablets, the Kindle Fire is almost a year newer and has a dual core processor, so it is likely going to be a bit snappier and more capable with multi media services.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2011, 13:03 by ackblom12 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #182 on: 09 Oct 2011, 13:39 »

Thanks for the advice, but... "mainland Europe" sadly means that the Nooks, Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch are out of my reach. There's possibly the option of using an intermediate shipper, but that might cost me more than I save on the exchange rate. International options are limited to Kindle, plus keyboard, plus 3G, or DX. I'm not sure how widespread other kinds of e-readers are in my area, so it's a rather limited selection.

Edit: Hmm, there seems to be one e-reader maker that's based in the Netherlands: Icarus reader. Doesn't look too bad.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2011, 14:01 by LTK »
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #183 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:28 »

I use my Kindle for reading PDF articles too, and find it very helpful because if I highlight something or write a note on it, I can come back to it very quickly by going to an index page of my own comments. So much quicker than if I were to try and find the same note on a piece of paper and then relate it to the physical page of a book! I can't comment on other methods because I haven't used anything else but my Kindle is perfect for studying - especially since I prefer to make notes on paper than on my laptop, so I can get completely away from the temptation of the internet.

Irony: I am currently supposed to be reading an article that I didn't bother putting onto my Kindle, so I've got distracted from reading it on my laptop by this forum.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #184 on: 10 Oct 2011, 15:46 »

Good to know! Did you get your Kindle from amazon.fr? I'm bordered by the German, French and British Amazon stores, but none of them allow me to deliver it to the Netherlands, and point me to the international orders instead. The good news is that it saves me a bit on the dollar/euro exchange rate, but the bad news is that there's a €30 import fee which completely negates this.

So I'm currently looking at either this Kindle, released in 2010, plus import fees, or, as ereaders.nl recommends, a 'Sony Reader Touch PRS-T1', releases right here in a week for the same price, has a touchscreen, card reader, and Android. Choices, choices.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #185 on: 10 Oct 2011, 17:39 »

i highly recommend getting the 3G version if you can afford it and its available in your area

it's only a little bit more expensive and honestly i've used the 3G to check my email and download books far more often than i've used the wi-fi for the same

then again, if you are in a more urban environment and there's wi-fi flowing every which way then i guess it wouldn't matter, but for me the 3G is indispensable

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #186 on: 11 Oct 2011, 01:46 »

I ordered my Kindle from the British site and had it delievered to my mum's house, and then picked it up when I went to visit. Now that I'm back at uni (in the UK) I've got wifi but I'd agree that if you can afford it, the 3G is useful sometimes. Then again, I'm fundamentally opposed to being emailable at all hours of the day and night! If I'm reading a book, I'm reading a book and emails can wait.

LTK, if you have friends/family in German, France or Britain who might visit you or you might visit some time soon, maybe you could order it to them and have it brought over/collect it? But it might be simpler to just order it from the International one. Quite annoying that you'd have to do that - you then have to buy books from Amazon.com, right? Or are you not actually tied to it? Does anyone know?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #187 on: 11 Oct 2011, 08:37 »

Man, I'm really just considering to get the Sony reader and forgo all the hassle with Amazon. 3G is nice to have but why buy an outdated product when a new release is just around the corner?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #188 on: 12 Oct 2011, 04:54 »

Why reject a perfectly good product purely for the novelty factor?  :evil:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #189 on: 12 Oct 2011, 12:20 »

Hmm, yeah, good point. :P But Sony's reader has a couple more things going for it aside from 'it's new'. Features aside, I can easily return it if it's not to my liking, and then get a Kindle (or something else) instead. So I'll put in the pre-order and see what that gets me!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #190 on: 12 Oct 2011, 16:58 »

good luck!

definitely let us know what you think of it, i'd love to hear some trusted reviews of things besides Kindles for my own future reference if and when my Kindle eventually craps out

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #191 on: 13 Oct 2011, 08:27 »

I like the dedicated reading nature of my Kindle because I end up reading instead of the 9000 distractions that I would have on a computer or tablet.

Also: e-ink \o/
boldly going nowhere

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #192 on: 13 Oct 2011, 10:14 »

e-ink is so fucking awesome

it's hard to understand exactly how awesome it is until you are actually looking at it with your own eyes

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #193 on: 13 Oct 2011, 10:57 »

I really hope they develop color e-ink soon because I really want the new tablet-esque readers but don't want to deal with the disadvantages of an LCD screen.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #194 on: 13 Oct 2011, 11:36 »

There is actually a method of combining e-ink with a coloured overlay, but apparently no one uses it because it effectively halves the screen resolution, reduces brightness and makes colors look washed-out. I came across this article(from 2009) about it. The fact that two years later, neither the Nook Color or the Kindle Fire uses color e-ink, indicates that they don't have high hopes for it.

When you think about it, it's actually a bit strange that, with all of recent history's amazing technical advancements, no one managed to make a quality color display that you can comfortably read in the sunlight so far. I think that's the first time I've seen an indication of the physical limitations of consumer electronics.

Coincidentally, this article about uses of e-ink outside of e-readers just popped up. An e-ink-based dynamic camouflage pattern, whaaaaaat.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2011, 11:43 by LTK »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #195 on: 13 Oct 2011, 11:58 »

it's actually a bit strange that, with all of recent history's amazing technical advancements, no one managed to make a quality color display that you can comfortably read in the sunlight so far

Don't be so impatient!  I remember when the engineers in my company got hold of their first 5-character liquid crystal display.  You had to look at the right angle, the contrast was pathetic, the updating was slow, and it had a short useful life.  OK, I'm ancient, but it still wasn't that  long ago.

Oh, and this.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2011, 12:07 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #196 on: 20 Oct 2011, 08:29 »

Typing this on my e-reader right now. Using it for web browsing doesn't work bad at all. Keyboard responsivity is good, but it takes a while before the screen catches up.

Calibre was the first thing i tried to download, but this thing apparently didn't like it, said it failed to download because it's unsupported. So i'll probably end up rooting it. The good news is, people are already busy making how-tos.

Oh, and the only words in its dictionary are SONY and Reader.  Useful!

Welp, looks like the first book I'll be reading is the 632-page EULA.

Looks like it's easy to plug it in via USB and transfer files to it. So what's the first thing I put on? That's right, screensavers!  :-P A bunch of those can be found on nook-look.com , some of them are really classy. You can just ignore that they're made for Nooks, what's important is that they're 600x800 and monochrome.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2011, 14:29 by LTK »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #197 on: 23 Oct 2011, 07:07 »

There you have it. Not a wallpaper, I can really read QC on this! And it's sharper than it looks on this crappy photo. Reading books is better though. It's incredible how you can have access to humanity's greatest literal achievements on something no bigger than a trashy romance novel.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #198 on: 08 Dec 2011, 15:02 »

If anyone is still interested, I have now hacked the reader with some Russian software. It runs a bog-standard Android OS now, which is cool. Only I don't own any other Android devices, so I'm not quite sure what to do next...

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #199 on: 11 Dec 2011, 20:57 »

Run The One Android Game, of course! 

Or install the Kindle client and Adobe Reader for redundancy's sake.

Do you have access to the Android Market? That opens up a lot of options.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up