THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Card Problems  (Read 2141 times)

Bowers

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Breadsticks
Sound Card Problems
« on: 28 Jan 2011, 13:51 »

Hey, so I've had my laptop for about 3 years now (Toshiba Satellite) and have been having problems with the sound card for a while now. Originally it refused to make any sound at all and I had to open numerous music players (Media player, itunes, spotify) to kick the thing into gear and then it would play normally. However recently it's been getting a lot worse. The volume will fluctuate from loud to stupidly quiet randomly and this had begun to really piss me and my neighbours off. I'm pretty sure its not the speakers I have and i was wondering if you guys had any quick fix answers to this or if you have heard of anything like this before.

Cheers
Bowers

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Sound Card Problems
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2011, 02:22 »

Probabluy your onboard sound., but first try another pair of speakers. You could buy a USB soundcard (seen them for $10, and I'm sure you can getthem cheaper), but IMHO if the built-in soundcard is going, other parts of the laptop's motherboard could follow. I would start saving for a new laptop
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Sound Card Problems
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2011, 02:28 »

Is it an integrated sound chip or a separate one? That's probably a big deal - if it's the first, you're pretty much fucked without a warranty, if it's the other one, you could just exchange it. If there's room for a separate sound chip anyways, you could get that and override the integrated one, but since it's a laptop, room probably isn't a thing you'll see.

I'm hoping that you've updated the drivers already. That's always the first thing you should be looking at for problems.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive
Pages: [1]   Go Up