Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 29 Nov 2021, 21:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeph Reviews New Trail of Dead LP  (Read 6797 times)

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Jeph Reviews New Trail of Dead LP
« on: 28 Jan 2011, 16:49 »

On his Tumblr here.

Well worth a read, made me laugh a lot.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Cernunnos

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • What
Re: Jeph Reviews New Trail of Dead LP
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2011, 17:00 »

Yeah that was a very funny review. That really is amongst the most incredible album covers I have ever seen.

scarred

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2011, 18:29 »

It's a funny review, to be sure, but I downloaded that album and it's nowhere near as awful as he claims.

However, I've been a pretty big fan of Trail of Dead since their inception.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2011, 23:29 »

I tried to listen to the whole thing but I just got bored and switched to Triptykon.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

scarred

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2011, 01:22 »

It's not a good album but it reminded me how awesome they used to be, so now I've been listening to Trail of Dead for a while. Yummy.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:34 »

this album is nowhere near as bad as the band name oh m y god i cant get over that right now

...and you will know us by the trail of the dead seriously who names their band that are you fucking retarded i legit like mineral and even i think that is the worst band name ever
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2011, 09:40 »

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness is a band with a far worse name:quality ratio.  As in, I think that's a much worse name and a far better band than ToD.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:13 »

this album is nowhere near as bad as the band name oh m y god i cant get over that right now

...and you will know us by the trail of the dead seriously who names their band that are you fucking retarded i legit like mineral and even i think that is the worst band name ever

oh god i straight up do not remember making this post
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:19 »

Source Tags & Codes is one of my favourite albums ever, but I haven't been able to get into much besides that. Madonna was alright, I guess.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2011, 15:36 »

it's also one of my favorite albums too, somehow the singer on that album managed to not sound like he had a sore throat from sucking a bag of dicks the night before

tricia kidd

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2011, 18:56 »

Source Tags & Codes is one of my favourite albums ever, but I haven't been able to get into much besides that. Madonna was alright, I guess.

Pretty much.  I don't know what happened.  Source Tags had just the right amount of the kind of emotional bombast that Billy Corgan wishes he still had and still had a bit of their "maybe if we break our instruments people won't notice that we're not Sonic Youth" sound to balance out the unsettlingly prescient proto-screamo elements.  Everything since then has been... just kind of bland.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2011, 21:17 »

unsettlingly prescient proto-screamo

I have to disagree with this on a couple of counts. Namely that it was released in 2002, over ten years after screamo was established as a subgenre. I also don't think it sounds screamo in general.
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:47 »

I get more of a post-hardcore vibe.

tricia kidd

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:20 »

I have to disagree with this on a couple of counts. Namely that it was released in 2002, over ten years after screamo was established as a subgenre. I also don't think it sounds screamo in general.

Sorry, I was referring to whatever highschool bands that formed in 2005 or later and get called "screamo" actually are.  I honestly don't know what genre you call that, besides "shit".

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:23 »

Mainstreamo?

MusicScribbles

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2011, 11:07 »

So I was trolling through the comments made on Jeph's review and found this neat little, teensy polemic on Jeph's review where we are told that citing the Arcade Fire in comparison with Trail of Dead shows the reviewer's lack of understanding.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Cire27

• Vagina Manifesto
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2011, 13:47 »

Oh some of the replies to that review were hilarious.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Fissioninferno

• Not quite a lurker
  • Party-Bringer
    • Flaming Atom, Tumblr or some crap
« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2011, 14:08 »

Reading it, you can see how Jeph realizes that his optimism was misplaced, eventually giving up all hope by review's end.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2011, 16:19 »

Got about 3 tracks in before I switched to Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

Review was pretty much on the money though. Kudos, Jeph.

tricia kidd

« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2011, 18:00 »

"To dilettante music writers everywhere: Comparing anything big and loud and overblown to the Arcade Fire is immediate evidence that you have no idea what you’re talking about."

I dunno, I kind of agree with the general sentiment of that statement.  It's a bit of a lazy shorthand, like comparing big bombastic music to U2 used to be.

MusicScribbles

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #20 on: 02 Mar 2011, 19:50 »

Well, hey, I see where you're coming from with understanding why someone would call out on that comparison, but to completely disregard Jeph's opinion because of it, stating that he obviously knows quite little about music, calling him a dilettante, is pretty unforgiving. I can see how Jeph is not on-the-money here with that comparison, but I believe that this criticism is absolutely petty and hilarious in its seeming aggravation and complete arrogance with kids who claim to understand their subject matter but in actuality "have no idea what [they're] talking about."

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #21 on: 05 Mar 2011, 16:19 »

to be completely honest, this is possibly my favourite album of this year so far (and i've listened to a decent amount of 2011 releases, so there's enough context for that to actually mean something).  anyone reading who hasn't actually heard it, i'd recommend giving it a listen (despite how offputting the admittedly batshit crazy cover art (which isn't as bad if you get the special edition with the slipcase anyway) might be).

my opinion of the album itself aside, i do think that review comes off very much as an "i like only their old stuff and begrudge any attempt to evolve or change musically" rant, that was overly-harsh and not particularly witty as a result.

MusicScribbles

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #22 on: 06 Mar 2011, 12:53 »

You are a brave man and I have nothing but respect for you and your opinions. It was right of you to insert a dissenting voice into this dying conversation. Somebody needs to like this album! It deserves a listener!

I am being facetiously honest, which is a strange paradox iknow.

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991
« Reply #23 on: 06 Mar 2011, 15:51 »

I've actually given this album a lot of listens. I know I said before that I got 3 tracks in but man does "Pure Radio Cosplay" stick in my head. Its a pretty good album, by a band I had no idea about before I read that review. I was ready to dismiss it but some great musicianship going on here.

tricia kidd

« Reply #24 on: 08 Mar 2011, 15:01 »

my opinion of the album itself aside, i do think that review comes off very much as an "i like only their old stuff and begrudge any attempt to evolve or change musically" rant, that was overly-harsh and not particularly witty as a result.

His review is terrible but not at all for the reason you give here.  I do not know where you got that impression from at all.

Every review of a Mogwai album since their first, now there are perfect examples of what you are talking about.

Every.  Single.  One.

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #25 on: 08 Mar 2011, 17:01 »

His review is terrible but not at all for the reason you give here.  I do not know where you got that impression from at all.

i kinda feel like most of the songwriting aspects he was criticising (the melodic singing instead of yelling, the guitar effects, among others) are things they've been experimenting with ever since ST&C (the album he states his appreciation for at the start), and those are now thoroughly a part of who they are as a band.  complaining about it is tantamount to saying "you should be doing what you were doing on the old stuff."  that's just how i feel.  i'm not too fussed, it's one bad review, doesn't exactly stop me from enjoying the album.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:06 »

My friend says this album is incredible, so I figure I'll give it a listen. However, I really doubt that it can be, considering the last song is like 16 minutes and I just can't imagine a Trail of Dead song that long being good.

brew

« Reply #27 on: 15 Mar 2011, 17:34 »

"To dilettante music writers everywhere: Comparing anything big and loud and overblown to the Arcade Fire is immediate evidence that you have no idea what you’re talking about."

I dunno, I kind of agree with the general sentiment of that statement.  It's a bit of a lazy shorthand, like comparing big bombastic music to U2 used to be.

Every now and then, it's accurate.

I don't think I've ever compared any band to Arcade Fire or U2... except that I always thought of Arcade Fire as a not-so-bad version of U2.

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:43 »

My friend says this album is incredible, so I figure I'll give it a listen. However, I really doubt that it can be, considering the last song is like 16 minutes and I just can't imagine a Trail of Dead song that long being good.

it's a five song suite or something
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tricia kidd

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2011, 16:12 »

I always thought of Arcade Fire as a not-so-bad version of U2.

This statement makes absolutely no sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up