THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rest Is Noise  (Read 5651 times)

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
The Rest Is Noise
« on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:35 »

Anyone else here read The Rest Is Noise? If not, I heartily recommend it.

Anyway: Discuss!
"If we get customers like that I quit."

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Re: The Rest Is Noise
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:45 »

let's discuss what cut of your commission I get if I buy it

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:55 »

Man I thought this might be a thread about noise music. I vote since the first poster supplied basically no content that this thread is now officially hijacked. What I'm trying to say is UHHHH...ONE TWO ONE TWO ONETWOTHREEFOUR  :psyduck:
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2011, 12:34 »

this is a fucking amazing book. im like, a quarter into it but i need to start reading it again.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android

sean

• welp
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2011, 13:18 »

wait am i the only one who cares about schoenberg other than the random new kid?

paging paul to this thread, paul, to this thread please.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2011, 13:39 »

I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2011, 14:32 »

I listened to it on audiobook and thought it was absolutely amazing. I look for Alex Ross' column in the New Yorker whenever I get it now.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2011, 22:16 »

Schoenberg was badass, in this music appreciation CD I got and still have, I was always all about a composition of his called a Survivor in Warsaw which was a narrative combined with his twelve tone scale.  All of his contemporaries (Berg, etc) were sweet too but I haven't really studied any of them since high school so my memory is a little hazy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb 2011, 14:49 »

paging paul to this thread, paul, to this thread please.

Schoenberg, then...

Well, I read his Harmonielehre  (at school) before I listened to any of his music!  Actually, I've not really got into Schoenberg - I only properly know the small piano pieces (Opp 11 & 19) which my son plays and I've dabbled with.  I've a passing acquaintance with other stuff, of course, but generally I'm more into Berg, starting with the Op 1 Piano Sonata (a marvellous outpouring of late romanticism, which my son used to play at school), and going on through the Lyric Suite (do you know the version with voice in the last movement?), and of course the operas (I saw Wozzeck recently in a production that changed the location to a baked-bean canning factory - weird... and  the singer I'd specially gone to see was ill).

The Rest is Noise  I've only dipped into so far, but I enjoy the writing, and there's certainly some good stuff there.  But I offer you a different reading challenge: A Concise History of Western Music  by Paul Griffiths.  Nothing is omitted - he doesn't even reach the year 1400 until chapter 4, while the end reaches beyond 2000 - and all in barely 300 pages of wonderful writing and beautifully condensed and sequenced thought.  I find it particularly good for showing the relationships between all the different strands of development.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2011, 15:06 »

But I offer you a different reading challenge: A Concise History of Western Music  by Paul Griffiths.  Nothing is omitted - he doesn't even reach the year 1400 until chapter 4, while the end reaches beyond 2000 - and all in barely 300 pages of wonderful writing and beautifully condensed and sequenced thought.  I find it particularly good for showing the relationships between all the different strands of development.

This sounds badass. Gonna have to remember to look for it when i have money.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Nodaisho

« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2011, 18:58 »

Schoenberg was badass, in this music appreciation CD I got and still have, I was always all about a composition of his called a Survivor in Warsaw which was a narrative combined with his twelve tone scale.  All of his contemporaries (Berg, etc) were sweet too but I haven't really studied any of them since high school so my memory is a little hazy.
I think I have the same CD you have. Kamien or something like that? I really like how you could tell that Schoenberg and his contemporaries were really pushing the limits of the instruments they had available at the time. I wonder what they would have done if they had lived long enough to see electronic instruments like we have today.

Also, noise?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

sean

• welp
« Reply #13 on: 02 Feb 2011, 22:06 »

yeah wow i dont want this post to exist anymore so it never happened
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2011, 09:42 by sean »

Nodaisho

« Reply #14 on: 03 Feb 2011, 00:05 »

What?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

sean

• welp
« Reply #15 on: 03 Feb 2011, 09:39 »

dont worry i have no idea what im talking about there either.

i dont even know what i was trying to say there oh wow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #16 on: 03 Feb 2011, 10:18 »

That's not supposed to happen to you until you're older than me...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

sean

• welp
« Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2011, 10:23 »

you've never though of some idea while you were kinda-to-pretty drunk and you thought oh wow this sounds really well thought out and intellegient and then the next day you looked at it and thought "oh wow what on earth i dont even know what this is even referencing too oh god i am throwing this away."

cause if you haven't im doomed.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2011, 11:27 »

:-P

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 09 Feb 2011, 09:43 »

you've never though of some idea while you were kinda-to-pretty drunk and you thought oh wow this sounds really well thought out and intellegient and then the next day you looked at it and thought "oh wow what on earth i dont even know what this is even referencing too oh god i am throwing this away."

cause if you haven't im doomed.

After my 21st birthday, I found an IM log from 3am the next morning with a friend who was also pretty drunk. It was two streams of complete fucking gibberish.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2011, 03:34 »

But I offer you a different reading challenge: A Concise History of Western Music  by Paul Griffiths.  Nothing is omitted - he doesn't even reach the year 1400 until chapter 4, while the end reaches beyond 2000 - and all in barely 300 pages of wonderful writing and beautifully condensed and sequenced thought.  I find it particularly good for showing the relationships between all the different strands of development.

All right, I'm deeply intrigued.

Off-topic: Despite having nothing to do with anything but "noise," I must applaud the taste of the fellow who posted "Tunnel Of Goats". I'm actually listening to Coil right now...

Back on-topic: The only thing that really disappointed me about The Rest Is Noise was the absence of any in-depth information on Hovhaness, who was certainly an important figure in American art music, as well as the relative paucity of information on microtonal composers aside from Partch – at least a paragraph on Carillo's Thirteenth Sound would have sufficed – though otherwise I was quite thrilled.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2011, 03:39 by Insignificant »
"If we get customers like that I quit."
Pages: [1]   Go Up