THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ho boy. Time for ethnic-doppleganger Dora.  (Read 21341 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
Re: Ho boy. Time for ethnic-doppleganger Dora.
« Reply #50 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:55 »

:-) After entering the US I gave up the struggle of teaching people how to pronounce my name in less than two weeks. If a person's exposure is to English, Spanish and French, then it is quite difficult for them to get used to German/Nordic letter to phoneme mapping. 'J' and 'Y' are then both difficult. My close friends and most of the professors I worked with took the effort to learn it (much appreciated by me!), but normally people would give up after having it spelled for them once and heard it pronounced twice. It would have been pointless to be offended by this, because more often than not those people were at least a little bit embarrassed for no real reason at all. Even more so because even after four years my (presumably English) 'V':s still sounded a lot like 'W':s and when my tongue dried up a bit my 'C':s and 'G':s both defaulted to 'K':s (so my friends would have to spend a moment deciphering whether I had said 'cold' or 'gold'). Kudos to those rare people who can completely get rid of the effects of their native language.

The only occasion I was mildly miffed about seeing my name misspelled was when, after having been a TA to one professor for two months, he still couldn't get my initials right. Look it up from the name tag in the mail room before you leave me a note, please!
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #51 on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:48 »

i've had a number of amusing letters through from C/S departments of big corperations addressing me as Mr Sierra-Echo.

Guess how i try to ensure maximum clarity when spelling my name. :psyduck:

The worst part is that my surname is 7 letters long.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #52 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:03 »

Mine's only 7 letters as well, and only 2 are vowels.  Problem is, the last letter is an e, and most english speakers assume it's silent (it isn't, the name's 14th century Germanic).  The middle cluster of 'tsch' throws many people off as well, a vowel sound frequently gets inserted in there somewhere. 

I did find that an Italian-looking respelling ('cc' in the middle, ending in i) ensures proper pronunciation when I give the name at a restaurant.  They even get the accent on the right syllable...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #53 on: 21 Feb 2011, 17:24 »

Really, I find Padma to be quite different from Dora in appearance (aside from the skin color) Different eyes, facial structure, hair (of course).  The only things they have in common really are that they're both shop owners and have a similar body type. 

Let's see...

Differently shaped jaw, differently shaped eyes, different nose (I like a strong nose, myself)...

So what's all this doppleganger nonsense? 

Yeah, I don't really see any great resemblance between Padma and Dora either.  And Elliot doesn't look like anyone else in the comic particularly, either.  Of course, his personality is a complete mystery, since he hasn't had any lines.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2011, 01:34 »

Pffft.

Jumping the shark just because of one single arc you dont like ?

Pfft.
Carpe Diem

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:24 »

Snubnose, I'm wondering who you're replying to. 

As for jumping the shark, I don't think it means what you think it means
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #56 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:47 »

Snubnose, I'm wondering who you're replying to.

The first post of this thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #57 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:10 »

And Elliot doesn't look like anyone else in the comic particularly, either.  Of course, his personality is a complete mystery, since he hasn't had any lines.

Actually, he did speak the first time we saw him: 1845

My first impression was a Marten type, except exaggerated.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #58 on: 23 Feb 2011, 00:01 »

I think that by now it cannot be ignored that Renee looks and acts almost exactly like Faye. I hope if she's going to be sticking around that the plot expands on that a little bit.

By the way, I already know that it is part of a joke. Something about the way the new characters are represented just rubs me the wrong way. Can't quite place it.
Hate, rain on me

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #59 on: 23 Feb 2011, 09:29 »

And Elliot doesn't look like anyone else in the comic particularly, either.  Of course, his personality is a complete mystery, since he hasn't had any lines.

Actually, he did speak the first time we saw him: 1845

My first impression was a Marten type, except exaggerated.

Oops, forgot that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up