THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 03:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tactics Ogre  (Read 2534 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Tactics Ogre
« on: 18 Feb 2011, 11:13 »

I always like the original TO better than Final Fantasy Tactics, as heretical as that might be. Sure, the latter was more polished, particularly in regards to interface, but TO always had bigger battle fields with more combatants. This mean that doing dumb shit like letting your knight get tag teamed by two opponents at once would actually lead to a one-sided curb stomping since it was harder to just tool up all of your characters with bullshit nigh invincibility powers like Blade Grasp or the Critical Recovery+Reraise combo. Tactics Ogre generally required a li'l more, you know, tactics than FFT encouraged, given that the easiest way around most problems was just full-on cheese mode. With that said, giving Canopus a good bow and parking him on a rooftop is so filthy that it should probably be declared a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Anyway, I'm liking the re-release so far, although I'm not very far into it. So far my biggest concern is that it looks like a lot of battles are easier now by virtue of just being able to fuck around until you can train the leader with a couple of finishing moves due to their success rates. Again, particularly brutal with Canopus's special brand of rooftop savagery.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2011, 11:20 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Tactics Ogre
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2011, 11:46 »

So why do they call it "Ogre", anyhow? Weird translation? Tourette's?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2011, 13:07 »

The Japanese really like Freddy Mercury.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2011, 16:12 »

So why do they call it "Ogre", anyhow? Weird translation? Tourette's?

Yasumi Matsuno is a huge Queen fan and he named the series after the song Ogre Battle. The subtitles of the first two games are from Queen songs as well.

And you're not alone Alex, I prefer TO to FFT as well. I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2 in the remake, took the Chaos path first because Ronway's a dick. I like the way they rebalanced the leveling mechanics and skill system, it's a lot less of a hassle than trying to keep everyone's level equal through training after every single fight. The crafting system's split across too many cumbersome menus, but apart from that I don't have any complaints. The localization is great too, Alexander Smith really gives the world so much more personality.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2011, 16:38 »

Yeah, I kinda like the class leveling dynamic. Classes are non-sensical as anything but a gaming conceit anyway, sot hey may as well do it. Besides, the base stats-class stats divide helps me keep from feeling like I'm being punished for say, sticking with the Soldier class for a chapter or two just because I like the idea of beating people over the head with a 2 handed sword, since you can catch back up in levels pretty quick when you switch (or not need to level at all if the class you picked is already leveled).
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2011, 16:48 by Alex C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up