Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 29 Nov 2021, 22:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "death" of the music industry  (Read 12711 times)

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Re: The "death" of the music industry
« Reply #50 on: 13 Mar 2011, 14:25 »

IMHO an artists should release an album every now and then to serve as a creative exercise and at the same time to have new materials to play on concerts. an artist cannot have "just" singles repeatedly performed in a concerts or mere cover songs. The real artists should dictate their setlist to their viewers/listeners rather than just follow what the fan wants...that separates artists from mere showbands and that's credibility for me.

IMHO an artist should do whatever they like with their art.

Afterwards we can say it's good or bad but they can do what they like.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Jimor

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #51 on: 13 Mar 2011, 21:20 »

A thought that occurred to me a few days ago, though it's hardly a fully worked out thesis. While direct purchase of media is falling across pretty much every category, and many people obtain just about all they consume for "free", they're still typically paying quite a significant amount for access to it all. Both in terms of hardware, computers and portable players, and the pipeline, usually some kind of broadband internet.

So artists, labels, and studios are responsible for a lot of economic activity that never reaches them, and we still spend a lot of money to acquire and consume these works, even if these costs are hidden among shared expenses for other activities.

At the same time, artists, labels, and studios can use the internet to build platforms for directly sharing works and presumable build revenues, but here's where ISPs attempts to throttle the bandwidth or charge extra for it creates a double whammy on the creative side of things.

I don't have answers, but just wanted to point out that a lot of people often end up making OTHER companies very rich while ostensibly getting some things for free.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #52 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:52 »

Could this be the future of the music industry?
http://www.gogoyoko.com/#/store

This is a website that was started in Iceland that promotes fair play in music, you buy directly from the artist and they get 100% of the profit and they also get a small fee for every song that is streamed on the website.

http://www.gogoyoko.com/#/about

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #53 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:38 »

Sounds like bandcamp, more or less. Have I talked about bandcamp yet? Dudes, if you have a band, get a fucking bandcamp page. If I'm spendin' money on music these days, I'm spending it at bandcamp. It just makes it so easy.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #54 on: 14 Mar 2011, 11:20 »

bandcamp is, in fact, the shit
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #55 on: 14 Mar 2011, 18:02 »

Has anyone mentioned that Warner Music Group might be bought by the guy who created Napster?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #56 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:30 »

Okay. That's actually really fucking funny to me.

Bandcamp has made me a couple bucks even despite the fact that it is just full of covers. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with that (I put the 'free download' button there for a reason) but my point is that it works.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #57 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:33 »

I found this article on the PRS here in Britain has a pretty amusing quote in it.

Quote from: some 20 year old who doesn't pay for music anymore
"Artists make a lot of money from tours, sponsorships. They get free mobile phones so I don't feel bad."

Hey, I know some of you write songs, is it true?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #58 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:03 »

None of us are like, grime MCs (to my knowledge).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 29 Mar 2011, 14:32 »

I think through 3 separate harshnoise releases, I made approximately 9 dollars. And one person bought the EP twice to bolster my sales.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up