THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 05:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: They're back!  (Read 14443 times)

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Re: They're back!
« Reply #50 on: 09 Mar 2011, 00:58 »

No, I knowdamn well that some cartoons etc would be damned cringeworthy as Anime.  It's just that I personally believe that Daria would work as an Anime/Anime Style cartoon if it were to be updated.
It seems like you've never watched Daria or you completely missed the point...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 09 Mar 2011, 01:11 »

OK, lets be clear about something here, I expressed my personal opinion.

And as the man once said "Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one."

Now, I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, it's just an opinion based on what I currently believe and, yes, it's based on what some here perceive as a bias towards Anime/Anime Style cartoons/animation.  Maybe I do have a bias towards that, maybe I'm just being naive *shrugs*.  I'm the first to admit that I could be wrong but I
will say one thing - my opinion is just as valid as the one you hold.

You have a different opinion? fine!  you're welcome to it.  It's your opinion and though I may not agree with it, I will gladly accept that you have the right to hold your
opinion about the matter just as I have the valid right to hold mine.  I may be right, I may be wrong just as you may be right or you may be wrong/  What I
will not do is be drawn into a useless and circular debate about whether I am right or wrong just because there are those who believe otherwise.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong (and visa versa.) 

Really, life's too damned short to be drawn into such debates.

As to tender's question, if I were to think of a change in art style for Daria, (and this is off the top of my head) I might consider something like this

As for the rest of it, I respect your right to hold your opinion, just as I would expect you to respect my right to hold mine. 
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #52 on: 09 Mar 2011, 01:54 »

For some reason, that looks like harry potter fan art. I can't figure out why. I'm just expecting to see a scar under her hair. Maybe the glasses?

Daria was a very American cartoon. You seem to be of the impression that anime is the wave of the future. It isn't. It's been around since before I was alive, it was around well before Daria was around. There's no good reason to change it, and there is at least one reason not to. Most new cartoons are drawn in an anime-esque style to appeal more to the target audience. Daria shouldn't be, to appeal to the jaded, cynical audience that hates feeling marketed to.

And yes, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. And if you aren't going to take the time and effort to make sure yours doesn't stink, don't wave it around in peoples' faces.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #53 on: 09 Mar 2011, 02:15 »

Kugai, we aren't bashing your opinion. We are just having trouble wrapping our heads around the concept. To us, there is no reason that Daria could work if it were to have art, writing, humor or anything else similar to anime (or anything different from the established Daria formula, for that matter). We are all just curious as to why you think it would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2011, 02:20 by Cartilage Head »
Hate, rain on me

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #54 on: 09 Mar 2011, 04:18 »

And there's something wrong with yours.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #55 on: 09 Mar 2011, 04:19 »

Yours needs some serious examination.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #56 on: 09 Mar 2011, 04:20 »

Yours is all fucked up.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #57 on: 09 Mar 2011, 04:21 »

I hate that quote.

I hate your opinions also but that is by the by at this point.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 09 Mar 2011, 08:36 »

And there's something wrong with yours.

Quote from: Fictional Kyle Farnsworth
Opinions are like assholes, Scott. Yours is wrong.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #59 on: 09 Mar 2011, 08:55 »

->Kugai

With the exception of a few people I don't think that anyone is attacking your right to have an opinion.  The opinion you have on the subject is completely different to the one that many people hold and I would love to hear your reasoning for why your opinion is the way that it is. 

Whenever you change the art-style you also change the tone and that's why I would shy away from it.  And now I would love to hear why you believe it would work better as an anime.  And if you do, as you say, have a bias towards anime then you're in a very good position to defend your opinion because you should be familiar with the benefits that come with that medium.

Also, to me that fan art doesn't look like anime....but then again I have a hard time figuring out its style at all.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #60 on: 09 Mar 2011, 13:59 »

a) The guy who voiced Hank voices the main guy (whose name escapes me for the moment)

That would be Mike Judge, also the voices of Beavis and Butthead, since he created them, and King of the Hill.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #61 on: 09 Mar 2011, 14:15 »

Finally, someone gets it.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #62 on: 09 Mar 2011, 14:18 »

Ikrik, I'm not even sure I can explain my bias without sounding infantile and childish - it just is what it is (my bias to the style that is).

Probably not the explanation that you or others are looking for, and probably about as clear as a double espresso coffee, but there it is.

I'm the first to admit that my bias may sound infantile, and I am capable of recognising that.  Hell, if you were to come at me with an update of Daria or any other 'toon in a style that wasn't Anime or Anime Style and it had good story and artwork and made me watch and enjoy the way the original did, I'd probably be one of the first to jump on the bandwagon in praising the show.
James The Kugai 

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #63 on: 09 Mar 2011, 14:45 »

What the hell is Anime Style?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #64 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:24 »

Sorry Cire27, shoulda been a bit more clearer on what I meant.  I was talking about Art Style in that case which, as you know, is somewhat different than the standard 2D Cell Style animation that was used when Daria and Bevis and Butthead came out.
James The Kugai 

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #65 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:48 »

Yeah, I don't like using the phrase that way either since it's really imprecise even if I sorta understand what people mean by it. It has the unfortunate side effect of lumping most productions together with the house styles and character designs of the bigger studios like Gainax or Madhouse.

And "anime" as in "Japanese produced" would probably be pretty awkward for a show like Daria given its obsession with American stereotypes and our ambivalent-to-adversarial attitude towards school and authority figures in general. Remember, we're talking about a show that featured baby boomer hippie-turned-professionals, the cheerleader-QB combo platter, the Gen X slacker, a Mr. Sensitive New Age Guy, and a history teacher that was basically the jealous dude from Blood Simple. The show was hells of American and used a low-key animation style to offset the histrionic voice acting. I just don't really see how there's much room for crossover there unless you just decided to make it into something entirely different. Which rather defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #66 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:09 »

Alex C pretty much hits it on the nail.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #67 on: 10 Mar 2011, 17:10 »

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #68 on: 10 Mar 2011, 18:54 »

Sorry that we made you read this.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

sean

• welp
« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2011, 00:40 »

much like an asshole, yr opinion produces shit.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Nodaisho

« Reply #70 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:05 »

Sorry, we beat you to it with better ones.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

sean

• welp
« Reply #71 on: 11 Mar 2011, 08:23 »

man i had to make at least one crack, don't hate!
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up