THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 23:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian Jacques RIP. 1939-2011  (Read 7168 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Brian Jacques RIP. 1939-2011
« on: 08 Feb 2011, 01:27 »

In seventh grade I read about 18 of his Redwall books in the span of a Summer. I thought it was super cool that there was a clear timeline and an interconnectedness between the books in his series. I always meant to come back and read his more recent entries but somehow it never happened. RIP.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 13:00 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

schimmy

• The Tickler
Re: Brian Jacques RIP. 1940-2011
« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2011, 01:54 »

Shit. His books were easily the best ones I read as a kid.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2011, 05:53 »

Agreed.  I remember my librarian aunt gave me the first three Redwall books (ordered by chronological release date, not plot timeline) when I was young and got hooked.  I read up until the book Triss came out in hardback. 
I remember Martin the Warrior was my favorite book (Felldoh's heroic sacrifice left me in tears (and, honestly I feel a bit of tears at the corner of my eyes remembering that plot from so very long ago)) and Mattimeo gave me the heebie-jeebies.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2011, 06:51 »

I read maybe half a dozen of these when I was a kid, only remember the most vague and disjointed details. I think this weekend when I visit my parents place I'll dig one of them out and reread it.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2011, 07:20 »

I probably read the first 12 or 15 of these books in elementary school and loved the hell of every word. It's especially sad when you consider where popular children's literature has gone since.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2011, 08:18 »

Well Harry Potter started when I was in elementary school too more or less so I dunno if that counts really. And if it does I still think it's just one good example in a giant, overflowing cesspool of awfulness (largely spawned by HPs success I think)
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2011, 08:25 »

The Redwall series provided exactly the right thing at exactly the right time during my childhood. I loved those books, and they were my transition from 10-20 page childrens books into novels. Redwall was my first novel, and I remember I was young enough that my parents read that one to me.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2011, 08:33 »

I have an autographed copy of Luke around here somewhere.  He had signed it with a broken arm, but didn't seem at all bothered by it and was just in general a good-natured person.  I'm with Alex on this, these books were the first real full-length novels I'd read.  By the time I got started there were a dozen already out, and I burned through all of them over the course of half a year.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb 2011, 09:52 »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

He was such a good author. Hopefully his books will be remembered for a very long time.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb 2011, 13:33 »

Legend of Luke, Mossflower, and the Long Patrol were my favorites, but damn he wrote so many of 'em that were good, Martin the Warrior was the first one that I read in fifth grade and I basically read them all out of order some way or another. RIP good sir, I think I've got a copy of Marlfox lying around here somewhere that I should read...
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #10 on: 08 Feb 2011, 13:55 »

Aw, c'mon he can't die he was going to release a new one this year. Like so many of you guys, the Redwall books (Castaways of Flying Dutchmen is also really good) were my first novels and I hold Jacques as being responsible for giving me my great love of reading. He was a god among men and I'm going to really miss him.

EDIT: I don't know if I'll have any kids but I'll certainly make sure that my nieces and nephews get to hear/see these books.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2011, 14:11 by Tom »

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 08 Feb 2011, 16:05 »

i'll chime in with everyone else who read these books as kids - i had a whole shelf full of them in my bookcase and read many of them over and over. i'm glad to see so many people who loved these books too!

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #12 on: 08 Feb 2011, 16:53 »

My kids (15 years from now probably) will totally be getting Redwall and a ton of other awesome books.  They're seriously amazing.

My sister read way more than I ever did but I still read quite a few of them.  I felt that they started slipping in quality later...but that could also be because I was getting older and my tastes had changed.  I just remember the lack of magic when I was reading The Taggarung, anyone else feel this way or was I just getting too old?

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #13 on: 08 Feb 2011, 17:18 »

I don't remember there ever being magic in any of the books I read?
Taggerung was bitching, though. I was so proud of myself when I finished it in like two days flat.

Ikrik

« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2011, 17:24 »

not in the story, Redwall has never had magic....I meant in terms of reading it.  I didn't get into it like I did the other books.  I'll chalk it up to my tastes changing.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb 2011, 17:28 »

I think he was referring to the general tone of the books, rather than the actual appearance of magic.  There was a kind of primal magic in some of the books; some characters had what appeared to be supernatural abilities that may or may not have been explained later (or were behaving like normal creatures and were thus considered special by the characters), and there was a deep reverence towards the land and its' history by the protagonists.  He's right, though; somewhere around Taggerung the whole series seemed to shift a little bit.  Maybe that was just us growing up, or maybe a lot of the established characters and locales had been done to death and he decided to break new ground.  That was about the point I had stopped reading the books, anyways.  
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #16 on: 08 Feb 2011, 17:48 »

I stopped reading them after Loamhedge.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #17 on: 08 Feb 2011, 18:58 »

Echoing the sentiments that the Redwall books were some of the first solid length books I read when I was at primary school. I read every single one that was out before I turned 13 along with my friends, we'd get the school librarian to bypass the returns chute to make sure one of us got them next.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #18 on: 08 Feb 2011, 19:49 »

Found out earlier today from a friend. Sad way to start the day.

Apparently there are so many Redwall books that I have never even heard of. It must be a decade since I last read one, but I can still remember the deep and abiding love I had for these books - every softback copy I own is creased and worn down like hell, and I remember that one of the many things I looked forward to when visiting my grandparents' house was paying a visit to the excellent bookstore in the nearby town with a shiny new fiver or tenner I'd been given and buying one of the Redwall books I didn't own. Also, how pissed I was that I lent my copy of The Bellmaker to a friend and never got it back (that and the first book in the Fabled Lands series, still a little bitter about those.) Some of the shine might have worn off for me when I realised that there was a fair touch of formula about them - how many of his books don't have one of the heroes kicking ass at eating food and thus winning the respect of the initially hostile tribe - but that was, and still is, irrelevant. Redwall wouldn't be Redwall without a rebellious youngster sneaking off to save the day, the Dibbuns doing something stupid, the massive feasts and hares scoffing away, that soup the otters made (hotroot?), at least one shocking death, evil vermin, and some form of cryptic clues.

I'll have to dig out a few of them next time I'm home and have a wee tribute read (and/or pick up some new copies).

Eulalia, Mr. Jacques. Give 'em blood'n'guts'n'vinegar at the Great Author's Scoff-Off in the sky.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #19 on: 08 Feb 2011, 20:13 »

Oh man, the deaths. That rabbit warrior getting speared in the back during retreat made me cry. And then they had a super short funeral scene since she was not a major character and I thought "Goddamnit somebody died have the decency to act like it wasn't nothing". I had not yet read The Iliad.

When I was a young buck it was all about Redwall books, Mechwarrior 2, and Weird Al Yankovic.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:24 »

Just heard about B.Jacques on NPR :( Like a lot of you, these were an important stepping stone up from the little Magic Treehouse/Zach Files type books into longer and more complex stories for me.

Anyone else remember the one with cougars as the bad guys? And the one went slowly crazy as the basement of its castle filled up with water? Yeah that creeped me out big time.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2011, 10:14 »

I read his books as a kid.

I remember checking them out of the elementary school library.

They were really great.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2011, 11:21 »

Just heard about B.Jacques on NPR :( Like a lot of you, these were an important stepping stone up from the little Magic Treehouse/Zach Files type books into longer and more complex stories for me.

Anyone else remember the one with cougars as the bad guys? And the one went slowly crazy as the basement of its castle filled up with water? Yeah that creeped me out big time.

Mossflower, yeah, that was the second one that I read, still one of my absolute favorites.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:59 »

Can we fix the thread title, Jacques was born in '39.

Ikrik

Re: Brian Jacques RIP. 1939-2011
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:15 »

Reading Mossflower right night.  I know that they're meant for kids and all but seriously, the man writes amazing fight-scenes.  I just got past the fight with the pike and The Gloomer.  It was awesome and epic. 

Also, his description of food made me painfully hungry and now I really want to try some of the items he described. 

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:35 »

A friend of mine compiled a Redwall cookbook when we were kids. Shall have to see if he's got it somewhere still.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2011, 08:22 »

Fuck, this guy's writing was a quarter of my childhood literature.

Damnit.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2011, 20:34 »

Aw, c'mon he can't die he was going to release a new one this year.

despair not for the rogue crew, it will be released posthumously. it was must have been finished for a while cos its due for release on the 3rd of may
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

bmfs

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • The Pink Robut.
« Reply #28 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:03 »

Man I feel old, there were only a few of these books out when I was into them!

That being said I've read Redwall and Mossflower many times each, and Martin the Warrior and Salamandastron several times as well (I think those were the only ones out then, there may have been another one or two though).
Polar bears?
Pages: [1]   Go Up