THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rare/Colored Vinyl Hunting  (Read 10435 times)

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
Rare/Colored Vinyl Hunting
« on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:02 »

So, where do all you vinyl addicts out there find rare/out of print/colored vinyl records? Ebay is the obvious choice albeit overpriced at times, and Discogs is a wonderful resource as well. Any other recommendations/personal favorites?
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: Rare/Colored Vinyl Hunting
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:06 »

Only the two you mentioned, really. It's tough to find and I don't know of any record swap/selling sites that would cater to the kind of music that comes out on colored vinyl these days. The classifieds section of the afterthepostrock forum is occasionally decent. In general I've been lucky enough to snag them from the labels directly I guess. I've also found myself selling far more colored vinyl than buying it lately. Becoming a real live adult is fucking expensive!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:27 »

eBay. You're going to have to pay a markup through the nose in any case. As this critique of Record Store Day indicates, the good rare vinyl, the stuff that a lot of well-to-do white kids like us want, is usually taken out of record stores and put on eBay by management, where demand keeps their profits up (given the state of the industry, I don't really blame them). This is how I got my Ape of Naples box set, but "fair price" didn't really factor into it. I wanted the record. Cest la marché.

Your best bet is to keep tabs on reliably updated sellers and snag one before it goes to market. From the label, from a store, whatever. Pre-orders are good sense and usually come with a marginal discount. Don't worry about colored editions and all that - in my experience, when a label springs for colored vinyl it's either the entire release, in which case it's probably not that rare, or it's the first however many pressings they make. I pre-ordered the Solar Bears LP and lucked out when mine turned out to be one of the first 500 pressings, on bright red wax. I use Boomkat for most of my electronic vinyl needs and with an RSS feed to their new inventory set up, I usually get in the door before supply dries up (occasionally something really interesting will seemingly hit their inventory pre-sold out, which, I suspect, has something to do with that first paragraph).

So yeah, Boomkat is one. The other is Mimaroglu, which is run by Keith Fullerton Whitman and Geoff Mullen. They specialize in vinyl and cassette releases, and a lot of their stuff is rare, because it is obscure. They don't really deal in rock music, though they keep up with some ambient and post-rock stuff in addition to all the fringe improvisation and general weirdness that makes up the tape trade.

And don't pay extra cash for colored vinyl. That's for suckers. Get it for regular price when it first comes out and make a profit off of said suckers, if you want. You should only care about a colored record if it's a really ridiculously important record, or you want to make money on the vinyl trade.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 22:31 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:43 »

Pretty solid advice on the whole. Having (relatively) recently started buying vinyl, I've gotten in the habit of keeping up with distros/labels that stock the music I like to snag colored or rare releases when they first come up. The ones I run into issues with are the records that are hugely important to me that I would love to have but came out just a bit before I started my collection. I get "missed the boat" syndrome, if you will.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2011, 23:02 »

Well, depending on the record, there may be reissues. It's been known to happen.

Also I would advise looking good and hard for stores in the US, because relying on Boomkat as I do I've acquired half of what I could, because half of my expense is shipping, easily. They just happen to have the most user-friendly layout and search functions I've yet come across. A lot of record shops do mail-order stuff. I've relied on Aural Exploits and Reckless. Both of those will have wider selection for the stuff you're probably looking for. Also Forced Exposure, on occasion when they've got something Boomkat does (which is usually uncommon).
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2011, 01:13 »

Your best bet is to keep tabs on reliably updated sellers and snag one before it goes to market. From the label, from a store, whatever. Pre-orders are good sense and usually come with a marginal discount. Don't worry about colored editions and all that - in my experience, when a label springs for colored vinyl it's either the entire release, in which case it's probably not that rare, or it's the first however many pressings they make. I pre-ordered the Solar Bears LP and lucked out when mine turned out to be one of the first 500 pressings, on bright red wax. I use Boomkat for most of my electronic vinyl needs and with an RSS feed to their new inventory set up, I usually get in the door before supply dries up (occasionally something really interesting will seemingly hit their inventory pre-sold out, which, I suspect, has something to do with that first paragraph).

Basically exactly this, the only colored vinyl I've gotten has been from early preorders.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2011, 11:12 »

That. I've got a gold print of the recent Mikey Erg 12" EP on its way to me as we speak. And a half white half blue copy of the new Red City Radio album.

Paper + Plastick suck for mailorder (The RCR album was out on February 22nd, and when District Lines ran their distro it took 6 months to get a Failures Union LP which was NOT "clear with blue splatter", but white), but they put out some amazing records.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2011, 11:16 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2011, 14:11 »

oh yeah mimoraglu is a pretty great distro, they have lotsa good stuff that's hard to find elsewhere. Aquarius sometimes will have good things too. Forced Exposure is fine but stuff sells out fast and is always expensive, plus they charge an arm and a leg for shipping which is lame. Boomkat is amazing if you're in England but far too expensive for me here in America what with exchange rates and really high shipping costs. Discriminate Records is pretty decent for rare vinyl and cassettes in the same vein as mimoraglu and DNTRecords is pretty decent for out of print tapes. You won't find everything but you'll find some good stuff for sure. Most of the rare vinyl I own is the kind of stuff mimoraglu sells so it's obscure and only limited to a few hundred copies at most (and a couple dozen at least) anyway which makes finding it after it sells out close to impossible since the odds of one of the hundred or so people who own it wanting to sell are pretty slim a lot of the time.
Still, if I want to sell stuff I tend to go with discogs. I get to set my own price and pay less of a commission - not to mention no listing fee - compared with ebay. I recently sold off all my Explosions in the Sky and MONO colored vinyl, for example, and made a couple hundred bucks in the process.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:38 »

What KvP said, but for old shit you mainly have to stick to eBay and record stores. The good stuff will usually be on auction, but check out the "buy now" stuff as well, because sometimes they fuck up and put it up for less than it's value. As for stores, it's usually just a thing of chance and how much time you're willing to invest in looking through stacks and stacks of records.

I'm not into flipping records unless I'm updating my collection, but if you're looking to do that, popsike.com is useful - it tells you how much the record you searched last sold for on eBay, and I think it's all sorted chronologically.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2011, 13:52 »

I wish I didn't have to sell my records but when I have student loans, rent, gas, car insurance, food, and utility bills looming in the very near future I need to squirrel away as much as possible and selling rare colored vinyl is an awesome way to do that.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2011, 18:03 »

Not trying to make it sound like a bad thing, if that's how it sounded. I just have a ridiculous attachment to my vinyl, haha.

Insignificant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2011, 03:41 »

I have a clear vinyl copy of Current 93's I Have A Special Plan For This World. It really is a thing of beauty.
"If we get customers like that I quit."

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2011, 15:09 »

Please provide your address so Khar can come and kill you for it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2011, 17:08 »

I OBJECT TO YOUR USE OF THE TERM "COLORED"
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:02 »

As opposed to normal black vinyl?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2011, 20:31 »

I've done e-bay, though I find you really have to know your vinyl lest you pay far more than the actual value.  Don't really want to drop hundreds of dollars on a 12" if it's possible not to.

If you're in the great white north, Beat Street Records out of BC is very reasonable for old vinyl.  More locally, here in London we have record shows twice a year (spring & fall), but in beween, Grooves and Speed City Records are both really fine shops.

(edit) I should note that with most of the music I listen to, the new albums do tend to be only on some kind of coloured vinyl/picture disc.  Older stuff is waaaayyy more difficult.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 11:49 by dancarter »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2011, 22:26 »

There's a place in Niles Canyon, CA (about an hour's drive from where I live) called Needle to the Groove that sells nothing but vinyl. There's a few pieces they have on display only, but the overwhelming majority of the cool shit that comes into their door winds up on the sales floor. My best friend has picked up every single Beatles LP as well as a few singles.

Also, Amoeba Music in Berkeley is the single greatest place on earth. No lie.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2011, 08:31 »

If you're ever near Princeton, NJ we have one of the largest record stores (in terms of collection size) in North America. It's pretty absurd. Of course, a vast majority is probably pretty awful stuff but if you want to spend an afternoon bin diving you're guaranteed to find some good, cheap records. I got Do Make Say Think's Besides ep on wax for like $3 for example. They have rare stuff by more established artists too (mainly from the rock world but a bunch of rare jazz too) although those can be pricey.

Hollow Press (my blog)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2011, 08:42 »

Also, Amoeba Music in Berkeley is the single greatest place on earth. No lie.

Even if by "t-shirt" they think "lets give this kid a long sleeved one".

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:12 »

I actually prefer Aquarius in San Francisco but Amoeba is darn good

Hollow Press (my blog)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:26 »

The Hipster Cat Says:

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:23 »

I have a pretty extensive collection in that format dogg

It's called being the minstrel

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2011, 16:33 »

Oh hey, if you're like me and into electronic stuff, but you don't want to pay tons of money for shipping, check out Chemical Records. Their shipping rate to the US looks to be a flat 2 pounds, which is incredible, and their selection is almost as good as Boomkat's. 3-10 day shipping.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2011, 18:41 »

Did anyone get the limited edition Analphabetapolothology when they first pressed their vinyls last year? I ended up getting the normal black.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2011, 23:06 »

Yeah, I got the black too. I didn't know it was reissued that early on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up