THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take Care, Take Care, Take Care  (Read 5965 times)

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
« on: 10 Mar 2011, 13:31 »

so hey guys the new Explosions in the Sky comes out in a month or so, lets start getting stoked! this is a link to their new album preorder, which looks absolutely gorgeous and somewhere there's a link to a song off it, which is a pretty cool song. similar shtick to what they always do, but the song opens with this weird vocal line which i guess is cool? i dunno im into this song and im stoked on the new album.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2011, 14:13 »

oh man that is sexy. they killed it at sasquatch 2 years ago, and All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone was amazing. i will probably download this before i decide to buy it though.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2011, 14:15 »

Gettin' ready for the dingadingadinga ding ding and the Bum *crash*.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:57 »

I only really like The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but that new song is awesome.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2011, 13:07 »

Oh man "Trembling Hands" is sex! I am pretty bummed I won't be home in Austin to see them. Not that tickets were still available when I looked an hour after they went on sale, but still.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2011, 13:44 »

I only really like The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but that new song is awesome.
Same! 'cept for the "new song" part.

Takes me back to when I was first starting out on this board 'round... 2005 or so? And there seemed to be this general feeling like post-rock was this thing that was happening and exciting. I think it mainly had to do with the Skwm / Slint memes that were raging at the time. Anyway, I can't say with certainty what happened to that, but after listening to a lot of EitS and Do Make Say Think and This Will Destroy You, wasn't it always kind of obvious that the whole movement had a limited shelf-life? I mean while they had their own little distinctions (I can usually tell DMST from TWDY from EitS) the emotional / sound palette they were working from was inherently limited. So they had a good run of records and just kind of stagnated. I compare EitS to a band like AC/DC pretty easily - they have one song, but if you're into it, it's a good song.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2011, 13:50 »

Man, DMST doesn't belong in that category at all. They sound completely different from EitS or TWDY (two bands that do belong in the same category). I never got why people reference DMST when talking about those bands. Is it because they have kinda long songs with lots of guitars and no words? The similarities between them and most bands that belong in the post-rock cannon are superficial at best, I'd say.

Apart from that, I kind of agree with you. The big names in post-rock were total gateway bands for me. I rarely listen to EitS these days, or TWDY, or September Malevolence, or...well the list goes on and on. I absolutely loved them for a long time but they've all become a bit too derivative and self-referential for me to truly enjoy these days. These bands all put on killer shows that I still go to every chance I get but listening to them on my stereo I can't help but feel I've played them out a bit. Not that I'm not looking forward to the new EitS album but I'm not buying that fancy vinyl package and, for me, that's saying something.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2011, 14:06 »

there has been alot of interesting things coming out of a sort of math-rock/post-rock synthesis thing that's been happening, and I'm really loving that particular sub-genre of it. Mountains for Clouds is one band that's straddling this genre-line, and they're pretty great.

ooh and then there's The Joint Chiefs of Math, who seemfully (the opposite of seemlessly) blend old school emo, math rock, shred (sort of), and post-rock. They're a duo (guitar/singing, and drums) and they have a really unique sound; I recommend checking them out. I think i might have posted them in the Thread That Shall Not Be Named a while back....might have been in the previous iteration, I can't remember.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2011, 14:08 »

I wouldn't say that post-rock is necessarily dead, but for whatever reason, it seems like it's pretty easy to rock yourself into a corner. I think the neo-kosmische scene that's pretty big right now (Oneohtrix Point Never, Games etc) has the same problem, and will in all likelihood meet the same fate.

Last really good post-rock bands I heard were Radian and Legion of Two, probably because they were a bit louder and rougher and a lot less regal than the leading lights of the genre. But I haven't heard much from them in awhile.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2011, 20:30 »

I WILL ALWAYS PREFER
MY ROCK POST-'D.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2011, 21:36 »

I wouldn't say that post-rock is necessarily dead, but for whatever reason, it seems like it's pretty easy to rock yourself into a corner. I think the neo-kosmische scene that's pretty big right now (Oneohtrix Point Never, Games etc) has the same problem, and will in all likelihood meet the same fate.
Not sure I'd put Games in the Kosmische / synthwave category--sure, Lopatin's involved, but for the most part it sounds like high-gloss 80s-revival. Like "chillwave," tbh, but far more individual. Considering Lopatin's discography at the point ranges from that kind of very retro stuff to his abstract electronic stuff to even tougher stuff (his earlier Oneohtrix material is damned close to Noise, tbh), I'm not sure he'll be running out of steam any time soon.

The scene might, though. You've got a point there.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2011, 07:37 »

Man Lopatin bores the hell out of me. I keep trying and trying to get into OPN and just can't do it. It's weird b/c I like a lot of other kosmiche synth-y stuff as well as some much more abstract stuff that has less going on (in terms of variety of sounds and forward thrust at least) than OPN. Maybe I should try again? I dunno, I just don't feel anything from his music.

Hollow Press (my blog)

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2011, 14:13 »

Takes me back to when I was first starting out on this board 'round... 2005 or so? And there seemed to be this general feeling like post-rock was this thing that was happening and exciting. I think it mainly had to do with the Skwm / Slint memes that were raging at the time. Anyway, I can't say with certainty what happened to that, but after listening to a lot of EitS and Do Make Say Think and This Will Destroy You, wasn't it always kind of obvious that the whole movement had a limited shelf-life? I mean while they had their own little distinctions (I can usually tell DMST from TWDY from EitS) the emotional / sound palette they were working from was inherently limited. So they had a good run of records and just kind of stagnated. I compare EitS to a band like AC/DC pretty easily - they have one song, but if you're into it, it's a good song.

This Will Destroy You have actually taken a turn into slightly more interesting territory, away from sweeping cinematic crescendos towards an emphasis on atmosphere and repetition. Sounds pretty good.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2011, 21:55 »

Really, "post-rock" is just a term we use for convenience, and it's hardy indicative of the sound of more interesting bands who get lumped in this category. I'll admit, I use the term as well...probably too much, haha. But really, it's a term that was used to describe the sound of a couple of bands in the 90s, and now everything is suddenly post-rock.

sean

• welp
« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2011, 21:58 »

a few years ago probably i read this article that used the term "crescendo-core", and i think im gonna start using that term more (also cause i think genre names with the word core in them when they dont actually apply to hardcore are funny)

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2011, 21:59 »

horrorcore

sean

• welp
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2011, 22:01 »

on that note im gonna start calling top 40 music "radiocore"

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2011, 23:10 »

it is very easy to sound like EitS, I find out.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2011, 10:17 »

Was that the obtuse t-shirt thread?

Edit: Nope :(
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2011, 10:31 by michaelicious »

imagist42

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2011, 12:09 »

I still have not listened to Spiderland.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2011, 12:18 »

Why not?  Do it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2011, 12:20 »

This leaked, btw.

sean

• welp
« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2011, 12:38 »

I still have not listened to Spiderland.

dude we're gonna tie you down to a chair and make you listen to it on vinyl (really though spiderland is one of my all time favorite album spin that shit dude really its amazing)

also vuk i think it might be in that one thread that people might be able to get music from somehow.

imagist42

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2011, 16:36 »

Pretty much every time I have set forth with the intention of acquiring and listening to it I have gotten distracted and forgotten about it. To be fair, unless an album is brand-new I usually do this three or four times before finally getting around to it. I vaguely remember joking once, a long time ago, that Spiderland would be to me as Our Mutual Friend was to the character of Desmond on Lost. That said, I'm downloading it now

while listening to the album this thread is supposed to be about, which is also pretty good

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2011, 11:30 »

This is really, really growing on me. I've been playing it on repeat while working on my thesis and it's making me rock out in the library/get strange looks from passersby

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: [1]   Go Up