• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment/Line of the Week?

Cosette's Gibbs Slap
"Man, I still can't believe he's not gay!"
Cosette's misinterpretation of "greater than or equal to", forgetting it also has "or equal to"
"Hola, assbutt"
Dora having a successful first therapy session and not realizing it
"We've, ah, run into each other a couple times."
Hanners's logic win
"Great, my self-loathing is the square root of 2"
Marigold's anti-makeover rant
Obligatory (yet irrelevant) waffles option

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 14 Mar-18 Mar 2011 (1881-1885)  (Read 109369 times)

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT 14 Mar-18 Mar 2011 (1881-1885)
« Reply #200 on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:50 »

I think this whole 'dinosaur espresso' thing is going to eventually lead to Faye quitting CoD[...]
Faye has stated ... that she actually dislikes crafting multiple dinos.

I read that comic as saying she didn't want to make another T. Rexpresso.  I was thrilled to see that she'd channeled her creative forces into fulfilling the contract, but with a different design - she gets to create another espressosaurus original! 

What's next - Tricerotops? 

Ankylosaurus. They get no love. (sobs)
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #201 on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:52 »

Bam!  It has most likely been no more than six weeks since 1645, since Dora is checking up on Faye's progress, but not accusing her of being behind schedule.  So I guess the general estimate of a little more than a month since the breakup works.

Considering how long it took her to make the first one, it might actually be longer.

Second look: Five weeks sounds about right. That'd mean a pace of about 6.7 strips/day, which would mean (possibly) it's only been about nine months since "Pintsize, I'm home."

« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 18:55 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

justanotherbrick

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #202 on: 15 Mar 2011, 19:21 »

Bam!  It has most likely been no more than six weeks since 1645, since Dora is checking up on Faye's progress, but not accusing her of being behind schedule.  So I guess the general estimate of a little more than a month since the breakup works.

Considering how long it took her to make the first one, it might actually be longer.

Second look: Five weeks sounds about right. That'd mean a pace of about 6.7 strips/day, which would mean (possibly) it's only been about nine months since "Pintsize, I'm home."

Nicely done! Although there have been a few time skips and I'm fairly confident that Marten and Dora dated for over a year and that they knew each other for at least a month before they started dating. Between them meeting, falling for each other, dating for a while, moving in together, dating for a more while, breaking up and it being at least a month since they broke up, I'd say that the span of QC has been closer to two years than six months.

Think about how many different pairs of glasses Faye has had! Most people only get a new pair of glasses every two years or so.    8-)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #203 on: 15 Mar 2011, 21:19 »

Pace is pickin' up. Counting through the QCv.1, early on the comic's pace could be 25-30 strips for one day of QC Standard Time.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #204 on: 15 Mar 2011, 22:20 »

What exactly was this dinosaur SUPPOSED to do?  I'm not too smart.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #205 on: 15 Mar 2011, 22:34 »

Make coffee like this one.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

westrim

« Reply #206 on: 15 Mar 2011, 22:43 »

Think about how many different pairs of glasses Faye has had! Most people only get a new pair of glasses every two years or so.    8-)
Maybe she collects and rotates them like some women collect purses or shoes and use a new one/pair every couple of weeks or occasion. At least guys actually notice glasses.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #207 on: 15 Mar 2011, 23:12 »

She does actually need them to see, though.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

« Reply #208 on: 15 Mar 2011, 23:27 »

She does actually need them to see, though.
Well, sure, they all have the correct prescription in them. But maybe it's just a "today I feel like red frames" sort of thing, and she was willing to shell out however much it costs in Massage Chewing Sets for frames and lenses to augment her as-yet-unrevealed collection.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #209 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:09 »

When she broke her glasses she didn't have a spare pair to fall back on.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #210 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:39 »

[...] At least guys actually notice glasses.
No, we dont.
Carpe Diem

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #211 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:55 »

HERDADERP I GET IT NOW

Thanks for the review!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #212 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:56 »

No, we dont.

I might notice if a lady is wearing glasses.

Maybe...   :angel: :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 01:07 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #213 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:01 »

Oh Wil.  :roll: I have to admit I've used/abused creative license in a similar way before.

Well you see Dust you're not actually seeing that, you're seeing the effects of Marten's becoming disconnected from space-time at a quantum level. Those are all different Martens, from various doomed timelines created by unstable loops. We still haven't seen the Alpha Marten.

And then dead Martens start piling up, and we don't want that. D34D M4RT3NS 4R3 TH3 3N3MY H3H3H3H3!!!
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #214 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:09 »

No, we dont.

I might notice if a lady is wearing glasses.

Depends.  

Where's she wearing them?  

:angel:

And on to today's comic...

I always hear Wil's voice as an upperclass English accent.  I just can't believe he's local to North Hampton, Mass... (he was living in his parent's basement when he met Pen-pen).  

Then again, maybe his folks are also English (college professors?), and he came here with them as a teen (too late to lose the accent).  

Or perhaps they were Boston patricians.  

Although with the facial hair, there's a definite resemblance to a young Colonel Sanders.  Maybe a southern patriarchal drawl?  Naaahhh....
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

westrim

« Reply #215 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:16 »

No, we dont.
Aw, Snub. Whenever I thing "no, I don't need to make note of exceptions, people will get the point," I can always count on you to not. So here you go, just for you:

* Excepting those who do pay attention to purses and shoes and those who don't notice those things framing a woman eyes, of course.

Happy?

Depends. 
Where's she wearing them? 
 :angel:
Why, over her irises, which are blooming quite well.

Well, at least he's honest the morning after- that has to count for something. Right? ....right?

Oh Will, you poor, literature befuddled bastard.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 01:24 by westrim »

Blackie62

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #216 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:21 »

No, we dont.
Aw, Snub. Whenever I thing "no, I don't need to make note of exceptions, people will get the point," I can always count on you to not. So here you go, just for you:

* Excepting those who do pay attention to purses and shoes and those who don't notice those things framing a woman eyes, of course.

Happy?

This has actually become my standard way of remembering girls I've just met; "white soft leather Micheal Kors," "tacky Louis Vouiton print," "hemp bag," "cute Mexican knit satchel," etc.

Wait a second Wil mentions a bouncer named Elliot. Is this the same quietly looming Elliot we saw previously, it would certainly be in the fashion of the comic.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 01:30 by Blackie62 »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #217 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:29 »

I think that Wil is going to be cut off for the week for that.

But really, Penny should have known better.   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #218 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:34 »

So Elliot is their bouncer. Hmm. He certainly has enough bulk for the job, but will a quietly looming giant make the most effective bouncer?

Ok. When things at the bar are civil, it is definitely a good thing that the bouncer is mostly invisible.

But to prevent an argument from ever escalating (which is what the peacemaker should ideally achieve) would it not be better if all the parties were aware (at some level) of his presence? This looming giant approaching any table, where voices are raised... :oops:

I guess I talked myself into believing that Elliot is da man for dis job
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Blackie62

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #219 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:38 »

Huh, I wonder if the bouncer has to follow the same dress code as the other employees at that bar. *Tries to imagine Elliot in Victorian attire* Not seeing it but then again I can't imagine how Wil would look in a t-shirt and jeans.

Also I'm definitely using "I'm a poet! I was using creative license!" My mind is just brimming with situations where it would be invaluable.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 01:41 by Blackie62 »

westrim

« Reply #220 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:44 »

Huh, I wonder if the bouncer has to follow the same dress code as the other employees at that bar. *Tries to imagine Elliot in Victorian attire* Not seeing it but then again I can't imagine how Wil would look in a t-shirt and jeans.

Also I'm definitely using "I'm a poet! I was using creative license!" My mind is just brimming with situations where it would be invaluable.
*Caught driving an ocean liner*
*Arrested for entering a nuclear weapons facility*
*Accused of impersonating a gynecologist*
I'm not sure how willing they would be to buy it, though.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #221 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:58 »

So... Elliot's day job is at The Secret Bakery, but by night he's a bouncer at The Horrible Revelation?

Interesting combination of jobs. Baked Goods in the morning, Boozed-up Guys and Gals in the evening.
Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #222 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:20 »

Interesting combination of jobs. Baked Goods in the morning, Boozed-up Guys and Gals in the evening.

"I say Madam, you are quite inebriated, I respectfully ask that you leave the premises post haste." (woman does a uppercut) "How uncouth of you!! I must now take appropriate action and have you evicted from the establishment. Alley-oop!!" 

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #223 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:31 »

A big part of where I'm coming from on this one can be found the lengthy OP of a thread on another forum (especially the "you are not a unique snowflake" and Rule #1 portions).

See, this is what I have a problem with. I don't regard relationships as a social convention. I'm not content to say that there should be rules for how you should feel and when you should move on, or at least not rules that are based on the simple idea of "relationship". I think that far more important than the concept of a relationship are the feelings shared and the emotional framework built between two people. Two people who are/were deeply in love should be held to different standards than people who just dated for a few months but never really envisioned themselves together forever. Or even people who dated for years but their feelings were never that strong. I'm not going to say no two relationships are the same, because that would be foolish, but relationships are different from one another.

Take Rule #1 for example. It gets violated all the time. There are tons and tons of stories of couples breaking up, but for some reason or another neither of them really felt it was time to move on and they ended up getting back together and living happily (whether permanently or not). For every time that article (I'd call it an article) says "This is never true" or "Don't tell yourself this, it's always a lie" or "Don't delude yourself into thinking this" there are hundreds of people who can honestly say "Actually, that happened to me." People break up for any myriad of reasons, some of them leave more than a little room for reconciliation. Believing that a relationship isn't truly over just because someone says it is may usually prove wrong, but there are more than enough exceptions that someone might be justified in thinking otherwise. And even in those situations where it turns out the relationship is really over, who's to say they couldn't have rekindled it if they'd acted differently? Even if most of the things they said in that post were usually true, that doesn't mean they're always true and it definitely doesn't mean that someone should think it's automatically true just because that's the way things usually go. It has nothing at all to do with thinking yourself a unique snowflake and everything to do with being aware of the almost immeasurable complexity of the human condition.

If this is true of the vast majority of people out there, we are a world of people in desperate need of therapy because this is a really fucked up outlook on life that requires validation from every ex you have to let you know that you're worth loving.

I never said it had anything to do with requiring validation from every ex. Personally, at the end of every serious relationship I've ever been in, I take stock in exactly what went wrong and how I could've stopped myself from getting hurt. By the time the next relationship comes along, I've got a plan. This time I'm going to be more vigilant for the warning signs, I'm not going to let myself fall in love until I'm absolutely sure it's not going to happen again. Okay, I've been vigilant enough, I've kept myself guarded properly, I'm finally going to let my feelings out and completely fall for this woman, and son of a bitch, it happened again!

Realizing that someone is completely over you means realizing that you actually have no idea what the hell you're doing. No matter how sure you were that they loved you enough that they'd never hurt you the way they did, you were wrong. And you may never be right. And for the reasons I've outlined above, the moment of realizing someone's done with you doesn't always come with when they said they were done with you.

Going to stop you there and say that it has nothing to do with "not getting deeply involved", but failing to get over past relationships reveals some severe codependency issues and you have to admit that is a huge red flag for a need to seek therapy. It is a pretty well established point in psychiatric circles that codependency is a huge deal and not normal or healthy, are you and others on here disputing this?

First of all this argument is obviously going to be a contentious one because there is no DSM criteria for codependency. Codependency is defined as excessive emotional or psychological reliance on a partner, and I think anyone who's ever been in an argument with anyone ever can tell what the key word there is. In fact, the very fact that the word "excessive" is there means that there is such a thing as non-excessive reliance. If you love someone, it would logically follow that you would be sad if they were gone. That's what love is. Love is wanting to be close to someone, and it therefore follows that if you do love someone, you should be sad to see them walk out of your life. The more you love someone, the more sad you should be. It doesn't classify as codependence if your reaction is proportionally appropriate to the situation. Codependence only applies if you get too close too fast, or if you take a lot longer than you should to get over it. If you get over a relationship as soon as it's over, that's fine, but it also means you didn't love the person (which does happen in a lot of relationships). Maybe from there you can argue that love only holds us back, but that's a whole separate argument.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #224 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:44 »

So... Elliot's day job is at The Secret Bakery, but by night he's a bouncer at The Horrible Revelation?

Interesting combination of jobs. Baked Goodshungover Guys and Gals in the morning, Boozed-up Guys and Gals in the evening.

FTFY.

Also...

When the hell does he sleep?!

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #225 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:03 »

Wait, do we even know he has a job at tSB? He could just hang out there like Marten used to do at CoD.

Alternatively, it's just been assumed that the Elliot that hangs out at tSB is the Elliot that bounces for Wil's bar; it could easily be another guy named Elliot. Or girl. Did we ever find out the name of the "Ladie's Night" bouncer that nearly defenestrated Sven?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #226 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:18 »

A big part of where I'm coming from on this one can be found the lengthy OP of a thread on another forum (especially the "you are not a unique snowflake" and Rule #1 portions).

See, this is what I have a problem with. I don't regard relationships as a social convention.

Neither does the thread you spend two paragraphs failing to write-off as if it does, go back and read it again.

Take Rule #1 for example. It gets violated all the time. There are tons and tons of stories of couples breaking up, but for some reason or another neither of them really felt it was time to move on and they ended up getting back together and living happily (whether permanently or not). For every time that article (I'd call it an article) says "This is never true" or "Don't tell yourself this, it's always a lie" or "Don't delude yourself into thinking this" there are hundreds of people who can honestly say "Actually, that happened to me." People break up for any myriad of reasons, some of them leave more than a little room for reconciliation. Believing that a relationship isn't truly over just because someone says it is may usually prove wrong, but there are more than enough exceptions that someone might be justified in thinking otherwise. And even in those situations where it turns out the relationship is really over, who's to say they couldn't have rekindled it if they'd acted differently? Even if most of the things they said in that post were usually true, that doesn't mean they're always true and it definitely doesn't mean that someone should think it's automatically true just because that's the way things usually go. It has nothing at all to do with thinking yourself a unique snowflake and everything to do with being aware of the almost immeasurable complexity of the human condition.

pwhodges already touched on this, but the intended audience for that thread is a very limited section of the population so most of your objections are already out the window (males in the US, where there is somewhere between a 2:1 & 3:1 ratio of women:men in many areas of the country). All of that aside, Rule #1 is a very good rule to keep in mind and you're confusing it with one of the other rules, apparently (Rule #1 is "The relationship that just broke up is over, get the fuck over it!", not "Don't Talk to an ex until you're over the breakup!", but that is still a very good rule as well).

If this is true of the vast majority of people out there, we are a world of people in desperate need of therapy because this is a really fucked up outlook on life that requires validation from every ex you have to let you know that you're worth loving.

I never said it had anything to do with requiring validation from every ex.

Quote from: You, in the post I quoted leading up to this part
You're not just asking for permission to be with a person, you're asking for permission to be the one to shatter your friend's perception of what the relationship they had was. You're asking permission to be the one to send them into that period of doubt and what's almost the second breakup.

Comes pretty close to that, though.

Personally, at the end of every serious relationship I've ever been in, I take stock in exactly what went wrong and how I could've stopped myself from getting hurt. By the time the next relationship comes along, I've got a plan. This time I'm going to be more vigilant for the warning signs, I'm not going to let myself fall in love until I'm absolutely sure it's not going to happen again. Okay, I've been vigilant enough, I've kept myself guarded properly, I'm finally going to let my feelings out and completely fall for this woman, and son of a bitch, it happened again!

Realizing that someone is completely over you means realizing that you actually have no idea what the hell you're doing. No matter how sure you were that they loved you enough that they'd never hurt you the way they did, you were wrong. And you may never be right. And for the reasons I've outlined above, the moment of realizing someone's done with you doesn't always come with when they said they were done with you.

Hey, guess what, you just posted that you did exactly what was advised in the OP of the thread you're complaining about. Go read it again.

Going to stop you there and say that it has nothing to do with "not getting deeply involved", but failing to get over past relationships reveals some severe codependency issues and you have to admit that is a huge red flag for a need to seek therapy. It is a pretty well established point in psychiatric circles that codependency is a huge deal and not normal or healthy, are you and others on here disputing this?

First of all this argument is obviously going to be a contentious one because there is no DSM criteria for codependency. Codependency is defined as excessive emotional or psychological reliance on a partner, and I think anyone who's ever been in an argument with anyone ever can tell what the key word there is.

It is also extremely common and often misdiagnosed due to other DSM-accepted disorders where there is some overlap in symptoms (http://smith.soehd.csufresno.edu/codependence.html).

In fact, the very fact that the word "excessive" is there means that there is such a thing as non-excessive reliance. If you love someone, it would logically follow that you would be sad if they were gone. That's what love is. Love is wanting to be close to someone, and it therefore follows that if you do love someone, you should be sad to see them walk out of your life. The more you love someone, the more sad you should be. It doesn't classify as codependence if your reaction is proportionally appropriate to the situation. Codependence only applies if you get too close too fast, or if you take a lot longer than you should to get over it. If you get over a relationship as soon as it's over, that's fine, but it also means you didn't love the person (which does happen in a lot of relationships). Maybe from there you can argue that love only holds us back, but that's a whole separate argument.

I bolded the relevant bit, there. Stop straw-manning my argument, guys, I never said it was okay to immediately start dating a friend's ex (not bothering to respond to the idiot that took it to the level of asking out a freshly divorced woman the day her divorce papers were signed, holy shit that guy was dumb). If it's been long enough that the ex is interested in dating and you're interested in dating them, your friend really has no authority to stop you so why patronize them by acting like you give a damn about whether they approve? Again, this is someone who is looking to date again anyway and you're already interested in them, this implies that enough time has gone by that your friend should be over it, too.

To make this relevant to the comic, we must be getting very bored with the more recent strips for things to derail this badly so quickly.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 03:23 by Odin »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #227 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:19 »

Think about how many different pairs of glasses Faye has had! Most people only get a new pair of glasses every two years or so.
Ah, but have they really been new glasses, or merely art-change glasses? And Will is a complete nitwit, it's official.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #228 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:25 »

Think about how many different pairs of glasses Faye has had! Most people only get a new pair of glasses every two years or so.
Ah, but have they really been new glasses, or merely art-change glasses? And Will is a complete nitwit, it's official.

Will has been a nitwit since he was introduced. I would comment on being surprised that he could maintain a relationship at all, but he's dating a barista (not exactly known for being the most stable people in the world, both in the QC verse and in ours).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #229 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:29 »

Penny may acknowledge her attraction to Wil's (one "l", folks) literary side, bad though it is; but I can't help feeling that there are also elements of both desperation and pity in that relationship.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #230 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:33 »

Wil is an artist and artists arent practical people.

The relationship works because both Wil and Penpen get what they would otherwise lack.
Carpe Diem

sepik121

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm too arrogant to be a real hipster.
« Reply #231 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:37 »

The relationship between will and penelope always makes me smile. Mainly because they're both ridiculous people, but Wil just tops it off by being hilarious.

Creative license gets all the babes.
Haters gonna hate.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #232 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:43 »

Penny may acknowledge her attraction to Wil's (one "l", folks) literary side, bad though it is; but I can't help feeling that there are also elements of both desperation and pity in that relationship.

See, even his name is needlessly pretentious!

shlominus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #233 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:39 »

Quote from: Odin
a barista (not exactly known for being the most stable people in the world, both in the QC verse and in ours)

See, even his name is needlessly pretentious!

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #234 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:55 »

Someone has obviously never paid any attention to the stuff you'll typically hear baristas talk about behind the counter while waiting on their coffee (you might be amazed at how much they have in common with Waffle House waitresses).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #235 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:27 »

Will Wil be in the Horrible Revelation this week?

Huh....turns out I was half right......

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #236 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:37 »

I think this whole 'dinosaur espresso' thing is going to eventually lead to Faye quitting CoD[...]
Faye has stated ... that she actually dislikes crafting multiple dinos.

I read that comic as saying she didn't want to make another T. Rexpresso.  I was thrilled to see that she'd channeled her creative forces into fulfilling the contract, but with a different design - she gets to create another espressosaurus original! 

What's next - Tricerotops? 

Ankylosaurus. They get no love. (sobs)

Nah, she's going to take it in a whole new direction - Mammoth/Mastodon
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #237 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:40 »

Nah, she's going to take it in a whole new direction - Mammoth/Mastodon

Or she'll say "fuck it" and take it in an adult novelty direction: Priapic Percolators!

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #238 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:51 »

I dunno, the head/neck on that apatosaurus looks pretty serviceable already...

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #239 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:57 »

Gives a whole new meaning to putting the cream in your coffee.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #240 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:21 »

Alternatively, it's just been assumed that the Elliot that hangs out at tSB is the Elliot that bounces for Wil's bar; it could easily be another guy named Elliot. Or girl. Did we ever find out the name of the "Ladie's Night" bouncer that nearly defenestrated Sven?

If it was just another dude named Elliot Jeph wouldn't have taken the trouble to have Wil name him in dialogue. It really makes no sense to have two dudes in a story with the same name for no actual reason.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #241 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:27 »

Yeah, Eliot isn't a very common name (a little less than 1600 people with that name according to howmanyofme.com, though that site isn't exactly scientific), but to be fair it doesn't have to be the same guy.

Wasn't he hanging out with Padme at the bar during the whole "I can't believe Steve isn't gay!" thing? He'd be a shitty bouncer if that was the same bar (plus we should have realized Wil was bartending by now if he worked the same shift).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #242 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:03 »

Wait, do we even know he has a job at tSB? He could just hang out there like Marten used to do at CoD.

It's possible that he's just a hanger on at tSB, but he was behind the counter, and even leaning on it, when we first met him.  I don't know a lot of food service places that would (or could legally) allow that...

And I can see him in a wife-beater, unbottoned vest, and rakishly tipped bowler, playing a tough.  But it just doesn't seem to fit his personality...

Mayhaps Jeph slipped up in naming the bouncer?  Naaahh...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #243 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:18 »

Wasn't he hanging out with Padme at the bar during the whole "I can't believe Steve isn't gay!" thing? He'd be a shitty bouncer if that was the same bar (plus we should have realized Wil was bartending by now if he worked the same shift).

This doesn't have to be the day directly after that night. We all know how vague Jeph is with exactly how many days have passed between the days we see in QC.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #244 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:27 »

Will has been a nitwit since he was introduced. I would comment on being surprised that he could maintain a relationship at all, but he's dating a barista (not exactly known for being the most stable people in the world, both in the QC verse and in ours).

I must disagree with you on this point, because I work at a coffee shop and NONE of us are what you would call "unstable." In fact, the people I work with are some of the most down-to-earth people I know.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #245 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:28 »

Okay, modify that statement to "baristas in the Southern US", then.

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #246 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:30 »

I will accept that change.  :mrgreen:

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #247 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:36 »

Did Wil has a mustache? I thought he only wear a fake one for work....

decrease exponentially in quality as it increases in length.

This is so, SO friggin' funny.

I can't believe it took me more than 10 seconds to figure out what you are talking about. That is, if i'm right about what you are talking about.
it is food, right?
 :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 08:44 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #248 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:55 »

I can't believe it took me more than 10 seconds to figure out what you are talking about. That is, if i'm right about what you are talking about.
it is food, right?
 :psyduck:

Or she'll say "fuck it" and take it in an adult novelty direction: Priapic Percolators!
It was actually in relation to this ^

I mean, yes.... food... :-D

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #249 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:03 »

I haven't been in here since, uhh, before holidays. Way before. But sure I've read the comic!  (except for a few days just before christmas when I was even more depressed than the rest of this autumn and winter, and until the 27th when I was a lot better)

Well, anyway, I'm back for a reason.  :mrgreen:  Yesterday's comic deserves praise!  :mrgreen:

It's almost like the good old times of jokes in the coffeshop, in the very beginning - except there's way better art, and there's Hannelore!
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up