• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment/Line of the Week?

Cosette's Gibbs Slap
"Man, I still can't believe he's not gay!"
Cosette's misinterpretation of "greater than or equal to", forgetting it also has "or equal to"
"Hola, assbutt"
Dora having a successful first therapy session and not realizing it
"We've, ah, run into each other a couple times."
Hanners's logic win
"Great, my self-loathing is the square root of 2"
Marigold's anti-makeover rant
Obligatory (yet irrelevant) waffles option

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 14 Mar-18 Mar 2011 (1881-1885)  (Read 109586 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCDT 14 Mar-18 Mar 2011 (1881-1885)
« Reply #300 on: 17 Mar 2011, 06:47 »

Doesn't matter - the facial expressions in the last panel are priceless, especially Hanners'.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #301 on: 17 Mar 2011, 06:51 »

Smoothing or smooching?

Big difference! :psyduck:
Ooops. Yeah.
Carpe Diem

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #302 on: 17 Mar 2011, 06:54 »

Doesn't matter - the facial expressions in the last panel are priceless, especially Hanners'.

Channeling her mom
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #303 on: 17 Mar 2011, 06:55 »

Three words Hanners, pot, kettle, black. Thats all I'm going to say about it.

@Method of Madness: I should punch you for mentioning that abomination of a movie. Read the book man!

@Odin. That is something I forgot to mention last night. They will probably want your eyesight to settle for about a year or so before they do the procedure. For much of my life, I had incredibly poor eyesight (don't ask me the rating, I can never remember), then when I was about 22, went to get my eyesight tested and they told me my eyesight would improve a bit each year until I was about 25, when it would settle. Which gave me a few years to save up for the Lasik. Of course the best thing about it was the rather queasy look people had when I told them what happened during the operation.  :evil:

Still disappointed that I don't have laser vision though....

covale

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #304 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:00 »

I'd really like to quote Faye in 1604... "Geez, glass houses, lady! Glass houses!" I can't think of anyone in the comic who've shown less respect for her friends private space than Hanners (and I still can't find the one where she magically ended up in Martens appartment). But then, she also shows true concern for them, so it evens itself out.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 07:01 by covale »

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #305 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:03 »

Maybe as they paused in the hall, falling against the door in their intensity, Winslow thought someone was knocking and went to let them in. 

I've always been puzzled about how the APCs reach the lock to open the door(s)

I'm voting for "phase shifted thru the wall due to intensity of makeouts"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #306 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:05 »

Obviously its the extendo-armstm

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #307 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:07 »

Either that or Faye's traumatic life has given her telekinetic powers, but until she learns how to use them, they only manifest themselves when she's completely in the moment...
Oh god, if she climaxes we are all doomed.... (?)

:psyduck:
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 08:24 by tbones »
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #308 on: 17 Mar 2011, 08:01 »

@Odin. That is something I forgot to mention last night. They will probably want your eyesight to settle for about a year or so before they do the procedure. For much of my life, I had incredibly poor eyesight (don't ask me the rating, I can never remember), then when I was about 22, went to get my eyesight tested and they told me my eyesight would improve a bit each year until I was about 25, when it would settle. Which gave me a few years to save up for the Lasik. Of course the best thing about it was the rather queasy look people had when I told them what happened during the operation.  :evil:

Still disappointed that I don't have laser vision though....

I'm 29 years old, though, my vision should have evened out five years ago.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #309 on: 17 Mar 2011, 08:20 »

I'd really like to quote Faye in 1604... "Geez, glass houses, lady! Glass houses!" I can't think of anyone in the comic who've shown less respect for her friends private space than Hanners (and I still can't find the one where she magically ended up in Martens appartment). But then, she also shows true concern for them, so it evens itself out.
I thought that, too; I think she made it as far as the kitchen once before asking if she could come in. But to give the lady her due, consider from her point of view her introduction to this bunch. I could forgive her assuming the boundaries were lowered when an inebriated, strange young man (who's spent the evening oversharing with the bar) enters the wrong restroom and uses the sink as a urinal in front of her. And in that last comic covale linked, Dora (herself under the influence of some ... er, anxiety-ameliorating chemicals) was going through Hanners' groceries.
But, as Jeph noted early on ... with all those little robots running around, things aren't quite what we call normal.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #310 on: 17 Mar 2011, 10:03 »

APCs just ram the door, shattering it and disgorging their troops right into the fight there at the objective.  Keeps the infantry alive longer that way. 

Or did you mean something else.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #311 on: 17 Mar 2011, 10:06 »

593 is the one where Marten came home and wondered what Hanners was doing there.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #312 on: 17 Mar 2011, 11:16 »

Hmmm... I think we're on the same day since 1874 right now. Hanner's dream in 1873 came at the end of yesterday.

EDIT: OMG, I think these two need to cool it off for a while. Not paying attention to where you're going is NOT cool.

And how in the heck did they get in if the door was LOCKED?

how did faye's bra disappear the last time they were smoochin'?
Its the Matrix. Too much smoothing causes certain bugs in the code to alter reality.

Which clearly explains why Neo and Trinity had to do that back in the real world rather than the Matrix.

No, it clearly explains why Neo and Trinity should have done it in the Matrix instead of back in the real world.  ;)

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #313 on: 17 Mar 2011, 11:48 »

Maybe as they paused in the hall, falling against the door in their intensity, Winslow thought someone was knocking and went to let them in.  When they fell through the door, he ran and hid in fear of the thrashing, stumbling beast they'd become.  Could you imagine that coming towards you from his tiny POV?  She'll find him in the closet holding the collapsible baton, just in case...

Would've been funny if he'd whacked the amorous couple with the baton a few times, shouting "Get a room!" 

I like this scenario.  I could also see him rushing out with the baton to defend Hanners if he thought she was in danger.  If he did hit Faye and Angus, they'll know by the interesting welts on their shins.

I was thinking they might be equipped with Fing-Longers: http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Fing-Longer.  Though I'm not sure those would grip very well.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #314 on: 17 Mar 2011, 11:56 »

@Method of Madness: I should punch you for mentioning that abomination of a movie. Read the book man!
It's on my to read list.  The problem is, I was a classics major in college, so it was just slightly too new for me to have read then.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sepik121

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm too arrogant to be a real hipster.
« Reply #315 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:12 »

I always just kinda thought the APCs could make their hands "adhesive" somehow. Basically just make it so it can stick to things. Maybe they have the stretchy legs like in the old cartoons with cars that beat traffic by just gaining 30 feet and ignoring the rest. The vespabot could transform, so I don't think it would be wholly unreasonable for them to have minor capabilities too.
Haters gonna hate.

Blackie62

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #316 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:59 »

I feel Hannelore's rage in this comic. If anyone were to be in my dorm when I wasn't it would be possibly violent rage first questions later. But the more important thing of this week of this comics is that Hannelore can pull off the elusive 4 button suit jacket, a rare feat.

Matheyus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #317 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:04 »

To be fair to Hannelore, it isn't just that they were in her apartment while she wasn't there; they were also making out on her couch.  Considering her need to have everything clean, and the way the characters have been known to treat couches... 
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1610It

It seems like an understandable reaction.
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be."

BartManNL

« Reply #318 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:19 »

Hanners looks sad in panel 1 of 1884... *sigh*  What happened? would it be the express-o-saurus?

(on a totally non-related note: last panel of 1882 made me think of the 'arrow' scene in Sin Sity)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #319 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:21 »

And Hanners has slept on that couch at least half a dozen times.
She has also rooted through Marten's wardrobe at least once.
Made out with an AnthroPC (try washing away that taste!)
Sneaked into Marten and Faye's place countless times.

Face it, karma has come after her and Hanners doesn't like it.

O8h7w

• Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #320 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:28 »

This is a clue to the APCs door-opening capabilities. Or, at the very least, it confirms that it exists and that it is a mystery :)

Judging by the fact that they can hold things, and seemingly without any moving parts in their "hands", the best explanation I can see is that those "hands" have some variably adhesive feature. But they must not be able to walk on walls, for obvious safety reasons... it would make sense that this feature is limited to their "hands", and not strong enough to hold themselves up.

On the Matrix discussion, I thought the Matrix is what we live in, and "the real world" was something else... but I haven't seen it, so I don't know where they were doing it. But of course, bugs in the Matrix could express themselves the way proposed - and mean that it's a good idea not to do it in this world, but rather in "the real world". Am I right, or am I misguided?

On another almost unrelated discussion, namely the theory that Faye has been slightly distracted lately, where the heck is this?
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #321 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:36 »

We already had the presentations when Faye was sleeping with Sven. And the mental imagery, not to mention the projectile vomiting from Dora....

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #322 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:41 »

Angus is secretly an X-Man with the power to teleport through things - His first cousin is Kurt Wagner   :-D

Either that, or Winslow let them in.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #323 on: 17 Mar 2011, 13:50 »

It's Faye's butt that bumped against the door that created a certain resonance in the lock that opened it automatically. Either that or the keys fit all doors in the building.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #324 on: 17 Mar 2011, 14:52 »

But the more important thing of this week of this comics is that Hannelore can pull off the elusive 4 button suit jacket, a rare feat.

Well said amigo. I seem to recall mentioning this earlier in relation to 1880 where you can observe the jacket in its fully buttoned glory.

Although, with the jacket opened, I'm struck by just how daring the H-Bomb's shirt is. Only one letter away from the profane, surely she would notice this???

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #325 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:07 »

The H-Bomb?

Just making sure.  :psyduck:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #326 on: 17 Mar 2011, 15:33 »

She left her helmet at work ... Probably where she'll need it more.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #327 on: 17 Mar 2011, 16:34 »

In 428, an AnthroPC who seemed to have the stock 8600 chassis complained of not being able to reach the lock on the door.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #328 on: 17 Mar 2011, 17:08 »

Somehow I can't imagine Hanners having anything less that a top-of-the-line deadlock though. Just to be sure the tapirs can't get in.
Looking at the first panel again, I see something rather odd. Hanners apparently has three latches on her door. From the bottom, there's a knob (possibly incorporating a lock set), a dead-bolt just above, but the lock at the top is strange. It looks like a deadlock, but the lock is mounted in the door-frame rather than on the door. Is that a USA thing? Or just artistic license?
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 17:29 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #329 on: 17 Mar 2011, 17:12 »

I've got a security catch not totally unlike that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #330 on: 17 Mar 2011, 17:24 »

That top one is what I think is called a "surface-mounted deadbolt". It's pretty common in apartment buildings as a third lock. It can only be opened (theoretically) from the inside, by turning the knob on the main lock base. I do believe that Jeph put the knob on the wrong part of the door, but that's picking nits.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The knob should actually be on the door, not on the frame.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 17:28 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #331 on: 17 Mar 2011, 17:55 »

APCs just ram the door, shattering it and disgorging their troops right into the fight there at the objective.
Or did you mean something else.

Yes. Spot the difference.

One is a dangerous and destructive piece of military hardware, the other is an armoured personnel carrier.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Watched Pot

« Reply #332 on: 17 Mar 2011, 18:21 »

The knob should actually be on the door, not on the frame.

You fool! That's exactly what they'll expect!
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #333 on: 17 Mar 2011, 18:33 »

Ha.

Unfortunately, by putting the lock tumbler on the frame and not the door, there's no way you could unlock the door from the outside if you had to. Which kinda defeats the purpose of having a lock on your door in the first place.
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #334 on: 17 Mar 2011, 19:53 »

That must be from Ariadne's front door

#inceptionjokes #doubleasgreekmythjokes
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #335 on: 17 Mar 2011, 20:15 »

Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #336 on: 17 Mar 2011, 20:39 »

Quote from: iduguphergrave
You can't spell Faye without  F, YEA!

And you can't spell "The Pugnacious Peach" without "Punches Huge Tapioca".

Another term for Hannelore's mystery security device is "rim lock". In any case it should be anchored far enough from the door to screw into a stud. /security nerd
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #337 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:22 »

The H-Bomb?

Damnit, now you made me remember Angel Cop. (NSFW)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #338 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:26 »

That top one is what I think is called a "surface-mounted deadbolt". It's pretty common in apartment buildings as a third lock. It can only be opened (theoretically) from the inside, by turning the knob on the main lock base. I do believe that Jeph put the knob on the wrong part of the door, but that's picking nits.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The knob should actually be on the door, not on the frame.

Actually, it's looks more like a vertical deadbolt, aka a Segal lock

But yeah, installed backwards.  With the cylinder on the doorframe, how the hell do you unlock it from outside? 
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 21:32 by Carl-E »

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #339 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:38 »

And you can't spell "The Pugnacious Peach" without "Punches Huge Tapioca".

Or, somewhat apropos of the strip, "Age Unhappiest Couch"

Edit: new favorite: Ape Caught Penis Ouch  :-o
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 21:50 by horsefish »
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #340 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:47 »

But yeah, installed backwards.  With the cylinder on the doorframe, how the hell do you unlock it from outside? 

I'd just assume it's something Hanners locks when she's already inside. It's hardly out of character.

Anyways, my vote is for either Hannelore either not locking the door in the first place OR someone with a key (or lockpicking skills) has been stalking her and going through her things, but forgot to lock the door.

OR IS STILL INSIDE.

Hanners, now is not necessarily a bad time to start freaking out.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #341 on: 17 Mar 2011, 22:35 »

Damnit, now you made me remember Angel Cop. (NSFW)

AAAAAAAAANGEEEEELLLLLLL COOOOOOOP

I thought my sister and I were the only people to see that terrible, terrible show.  PUNK 'EM TO DEATH, ASURA

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #342 on: 17 Mar 2011, 22:59 »

Sure do seem to be a lot of comics lately with punchlines involving the total magnificence of Faye's boobs.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #343 on: 17 Mar 2011, 23:14 »

I actually wonder if the owner of the building uses duplicate locks for certain floors. It's unlikely that Hannelore would leave her door unlocked so maybe what happened was just that they went to the wrong floor and Angus' key actually matched Hannelores. Either that or the landlord uses the same key for every room and prays no one ever thinks to test it.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #344 on: 17 Mar 2011, 23:21 »

This may become one of the unsolved mysteries, like the lambskin condoms and the purple hair in the shower.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #345 on: 17 Mar 2011, 23:23 »

I actually wonder if the owner of the building uses duplicate locks for certain floors. It's unlikely that Hannelore would leave her door unlocked so maybe what happened was just that they went to the wrong floor and Faye's key actually matched Hannelore's. Either that or the landlord uses the same key for every room and prays no one ever thinks to test it.

FYP.  Hanners lives upstairs from Marten and Faye.  I think Angus and Marigold live in a different building.  

But your theory explains how Hanners is always going into Marten's place, too.  I'm guessing they may have copies of each other's keys, in case of emergency, and lucked into usong the wrong key on the right apartment....  

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #346 on: 17 Mar 2011, 23:24 »

Actually, it's looks more like a vertical deadbolt, aka a Segal lock.  

But yeah, installed backwards.  With the cylinder on the doorframe, how the hell do you unlock it from outside?  

it's possible that it's mounted that way to prevent unlocking from the outside. ie to keep her safe from people with lockpicks and/or copies of her key when she's at home, rather than to keep burglars out when she's away.

or maybe jeph just made a mistake.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #347 on: 17 Mar 2011, 23:49 »

I'm betting that's not even what Hanners is going to be angry about.
Just another Joe like 46

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #348 on: 18 Mar 2011, 00:15 »

Sure do seem to be a lot of comics lately with punchlines involving the total magnificence of Faye's boobs.

Enough that a thread was made about them, yeah. Jeph seems to be obsessed with her breasts. It's getting too easy to distill Faye's character to "the busty girl with emotional problems". I suppose as far as cheap punchlines go, you could do worse, but it's a stale joke by now.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #349 on: 18 Mar 2011, 00:52 »

To be fair, that thread was made as a joking response to a series of "What are so-an-so's fundamental characteristics?" that came up during the breakup arc, when people were trying (desperately) to channel some of the flood of melodrama away from vitriol. 

It didn't work, and more than one thread was locked down by moderators.  But after a lot of discussion of Dora's problems, Marten's ... niceness, and Marigold's issues, someone (hell if I know)  thought this would lift the mood a bit. 

It did. 

Well, it lifted my  mood, iif you catch my drift, wink wink, nudge nudge, saynomore...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up