THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you guys manage your music?  (Read 4212 times)

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
How do you guys manage your music?
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:55 »

As my music collection approaches a size too big for my hard drive to handle, I have to ask (since I'm sure there are some other people on the forum with massive music folders)--what do you guys do to store all your music? I'm considering an external hard drive, but I don't want to have to plug it in whenever I want to listen to stuff. What would the best approach be to storing massive amounts of music?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: How do you guys manage your music?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 18:56 »

I have a external hard drive which I keep plugged in all the time.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 19:11 »

Shelves.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 19:37 »

A combination of shelves (for all of the non-digital music) and external hard drives (a Thermaltake BlackX dual-HD setup).  The external hard drives are used essentially for backup.  I have 124.2 GBytes of music on my regular hard drive (including paid-for .zip and .rar files which were downloaded from various sites).  However, most of the files are .flac files which I ripped from CDs which I own.  The external hard drive is usually off, although I sometimes leave it on. 

The idea behind backing them up on an external hard drive is so that I do not have to rip them all again whenever I install a new version of an operating system (usually every six to twelve months).  However, all of the .zip and .rar archives files are also backed up on DVDs, so that they don't get lost in case of a hard drive failure.  I update a folder named "NewMusic_{date}" on the external hard drive every couple of months, so the backup is kept pretty much up to date.  

If it ever comes to not having enough space on my internal hard drive, I would probably just keep the music that I listen to most of the time on the internal hard drive, and copy any other music onto my internal hard drive if I wanted to listen to it.  

Also, music that I listen to frequently is put into "play lists", and these are also backed up.  By "play lists" I mean that I copy the actual files into a "play list" folder and then save those folders.  Then those songs are put into actual playlists for Amorak, or whatever other audio players.  

This sounds pretty complicated, but I don't find it so, and I have been using this system for a couple of years now.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 19:38 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2011, 19:48 »

Shelves / hard drive.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2011, 22:56 »

I have a external hard drive which I keep plugged in all the time.

Same. I've had this one for quite a while, though...I should probably get a new one in case it dies or something. Pretty sure Seagates have a good lifespan, but still.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:06 »

My Music files have already outgrown my lowly 40gb laptop hard drive (happened about 3 years ago) so I started moving them all to the external HDD I already had. I bought a new Western Digital 1tb HDD about a year ago and now I use that. It gets knocked over and dropped regularly and still the only problem I have is that the flimsy wires disconnect more often than anything else.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:19 »

I store most of my records in a bin.

But the bin's filling up quick. I need to get some shelving, and maybe only store 7"s in the bin. I keep digital right on my laptop, and back it up on a 500gb XHD, which will be replaced soon by a 1.5TB one (Britcoms, man, they take up some space)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:23 »

I keep all of my music stored in servers somewhere in Sweden.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 15:10 »

I store most of my records in a bin.

But the bin's filling up quick. I need to get some shelving, and maybe only store 7"s in the bin. I keep digital right on my laptop, and back it up on a 500gb XHD, which will be replaced soon by a 1.5TB one (Britcoms, man, they take up some space)

I need to get something like this, cause I really have no room for more shelving and the one shelf I used for my records is almost filled up at this point. Do you mean bins or crates? I find crates are the best, but I don't get where/how people get this.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2011, 07:43 »

I can't really keep a stack of crates in my room.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:13 »

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:35 »

Shamefully enough I use Spotify for all my music, even though that means missing a lot of great records. It's just really convenient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up