THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So where do you get your music?  (Read 11270 times)

yellowfoliage

• Obscure cultural reference
  • it's THE aspect
So where do you get your music?
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 23:52 »

Ever since I checked in with the swag thread a couple weeks ago I have been both enthralled with the majesty of OFWGKTA and shocked, shocked that I had never heard of them before, and that's when it hit me that much of the cool new music I hear comes from this board and its apparently more music savvy than I denizens. So it hit on me to ask y'alls: where do you get/hear about new music? I'd love some pointers in the right directions,  and with the diverse opinions around here I bet there will be some interesting answers.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: So where do you get your music?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 23:56 »

In terms of where we hear about it or where we buy it?

I use Boomkat for most of my electronic needs, as it's closer to the heart of electronic music - Europe. Domestically I buy from Mimaroglu for more out-there stuff, Aural Exploits and Reckless for the odd guitar music release. Also Forced Exposure on occasion. For digital stuff, 7digital usually has awesome prices but their selection is touch-and-go (and the search function isn't the best). Bleep is Warp-affiliated so for things from that label and certain subgenres of music (particularly german techno), it has the best selection and deals. At this point, surprisingly little of my music is downloaded from google. 10%, maybe.

For hearing new music, I just troll Boomkat's new arrivals every week and make educated guesses on what I'll like based on the sound samples, and if I do like it I make note of things like label designation and remixers to get a good sense of likeminded artists.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 00:05 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 23:59 »

google
it's time to stop posting

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:24 »

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:54 »

internet
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2011, 00:57 »

http://www.playbutton.co
It's like a buddha machine, except not interesting!
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:25 »

tommy listens to all his singles on an 8-track player
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:42 »

I mostly hear about new things by trawling through blogs I like, depending on what I'm looking for.  For example, for new electronic and bass music, I check out http://squeegiesounds.com/ and http://topbillinmusic.com/.  A lot of the time, though, I just get curious and follow connections through last.fm related artists.

If something's good, I might eventually hear of it, if it penetrates my smokescreen on the right day

FYP

There's too much music in existence for you to hear everything good even with incredibly good fortune
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 16:48 by De_El »

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:12 »

Mostly the internet, although my dad has a lot of CDs, tapes, and vinyl which I listen to a lot.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:29 »

i find out about 90% of the music i listen to from this forum
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:43 »

Internet: There are various music blogs I check  every once and a while to download some stuff if the descriptions pique my interest. (My favorite's probably We Fucking Love Music) I also illegally download a lot of albums I hear about in meat life and in instances where an independent artist needs my support/I have cash/I know the money goes directly to them (through websites such as Bandcamp) I'll pay to download their music online. And of course, the Thread Which Shall Not Be Named.

Record Stores: I try and go to a record store and buy at least one album every month. Sometimes it's stuff on vinyl I already own as MP3's, other times it's a new album I try and buy the day the first shipment comes in. My ability to do this is sometimes hampered by time/my funds/people who frequent these shops a lot more than I do who've taken all the good albums.

Ordering Directly from Labels: I do this occasionally and it's super fun and rewarding!  So far I've ordered records directly from Merge, Matador, Third Man and In the Red. This usually causes me to go broke.

Other: Sometimes me and my friends burn mixes for one another or trade music by sharing our external hard drives.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 11:48 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:10 »

Listen to www.celticmusicradio.net, as well as other Celtic music stations online
     Follow up on any new bands I see/hear about
     Go to their web sites

Look through Celtic "genre" music at cdbaby.com, amazon.com, and so on
     at cdbaby, check out "if you like this" leads

Go to see/hear local Celtic bands, buy their CDs

Attend Celtic Fairs to listen to the music, buy their CDs
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:25 »

So you're not really good at finding reggae, I take it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:39 »

Nope.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:47 »

Sometimes I take the tommy method. Other times I just check related artists on last fm.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:11 »

75% here, with 20% backed up from some magazines that I pick up or a handful of music blogs 5% from my brother. Basically there's maybe three or four posters here that I'll download something they really recommend, and maybe I'll listen to it within a week, if I don't listen to it within a week I usually forget.

If I see something mentioned here, and then mentioned in two or three other places, I'll listen to it. And I'll listen to most everything my brother sends my way.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

yellowfoliage

• Obscure cultural reference
  • it's THE aspect
« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2011, 13:50 »

Thanks for all the places to look. As a side note, the one genre I am alright at keeping up with is ska, and Megalith Records and Asian Man's websites are two great places to stay on top of that.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2011, 14:25 »

I get drunk and hang out with hipster douchebags at parties and they whip out their iPods and start playing shit. Sometimes it's awful, sometimes it's bitchin' rad and I wind up downloading it.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2011, 19:21 »

I have an extensive set of blogs I check on a semi-regular basis; on top of that, books, magazines (i.e. Wire), recommendations from friends, stuff from movie soundtracks even. My problem right now (and it's been my problem for years) is that I find more great stuff than I have time to listen to. It's endless.

Anyway, a few sites I check:
factmag.com - Fantastic reporting on alternative stuff, particularly electronic, British music, and British electronic music. Great series of mixes, too.
The Quietus - Same as above.
20jazzfunkgreats - Nice, constantly updated blog, focusing on a lot of indie electronica
residentadvisor.net - Good-ish coverage of electronic dance music
And blissblog (i.e. blissout.blogspot.com), which is the official blog of Simon Reynolds, currently my favorite music journalist around, chock-full of interesting stuff.

And for all the badmouthing it gets, I still find cool stuff on Pitchfork, especially their columns. First time I heard of Isaac Hayes, now my favorite soul singer, was when Pitchfork raved about his reissue of Hot Buttered Soul, for instance.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2011, 20:42 »

This forum for the indies, a couple of blogs like metalsucks.net and invisibleoranges.com for the metals

e: awhatup, 8888th post
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2011, 21:26 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2011, 21:09 »

Also, if any of y'all are into post-punk, space disco, shoegaze, weirdo new wave, dark house and minimal/cold wave type stuff, you should check out http://www.wavesatnight.com/ for real. This was the place where I first heard of Malaria!, Todd Terje and Negativ Magick.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2011, 14:41 »

KurtMcAllister

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Himmelschreibende Herzen
« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2011, 19:44 »

http://www.playbutton.co
It's like a buddha machine, except not interesting!
I would really like a buddha machine in that format. Just change the pause/play button to the button to change loops. I'm not sure if the pitch-shifter would fit, though I was never very fond of that feature anyway.

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2011, 21:48 »

wine shop customers from where I spent 60hrs plus a week: Formerly punk rock famous musicians, working/indie-famous musicians, and europeans who have no sense of irony in music.

co-workers at the wine shop who have free rein to add/delete from my/the shop's ipod: PhD candidate composer won't listen to anything in a major key; photographer who keeps me in european hip hop, michael jackson, and stoner/slacker jazz and singer songwriters (think smofe and smang); intentionally unemployed screenwriter who is all about the wedding present and kind of awesome slash kind of lame australian bands.

friends: p4k writer (though he never talks about things p4k has reviewed and keeps me mostly in euro singer song writers), WFMU Djs, fancy nyc magazine employee gives me all the lame best coast/lower dens/dreamypopcrap I can stand (ugh, i hate it so much but i feel so good when i can call it out playing at a bar or before a show.)

message board where I lurk (NOT QC): it's full of former friends who got too into blow/mdma/dance music/buying condos for me to relate to and to whom I'm completely in debt for getting me into whiskeytown and the national and LCD before they were such a BFD.

QC probably accounts for my favorite 10% of it.
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2011, 23:12 »

Usually I just go by Allmusic and random blogs, and it's worked pretty well for me. Soulseek helps if I can't find something by blogsearch. Private shit like Waffles and what is the best, though (more so the former) - I had an Oink account when it was around, and I can safely say there hasn't been anything like it since.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2011, 13:38 »

The org, p4k, you guys.

Sometimes I trawl through Sordo and download stuff from bands with interesting names. It doesn't always work. Bill Cosby You! Black Emperor sucked, despite a great name.

On the rare occasion that I get to shows, sometimes opening bands.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:11 »

I kinda wanna hear Bill Cosby You! Black Emperor even though you said they were bad.  But I couldn't find anything when I googled that in quotes.  Any help?  A youtube or a myspace?

As for the thread, I generally find out about new music from a lot of the stuff already mentioned, as well as going to the local indie record store and just browsing.  Occasionally when there with friends we just go off on a whim and buy a $5 used album without knowing anything about the band. 
Actually, the past few years my college friends and I have had a "judge an album by it's cover weekend" (the weekend around Pi Day, so two weekends ago) where we buy random cheap CDs with cool covers and see what we get.  Some's pretty good, some's crap, there are a few fun highlights.  But it's mostly just awesome to hang out with friends and listen to random music.  (my roommate and I used to do this blogspot album review site where we bought $1 bargain bin CDs and briefly rated them.)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:17 »

I had the same inclination re: Cosby and couldn't find anything either, except for this—apparently, Women were originally going to be named Cosby! You Black Emperor.  Or something.

Anyway I find out about a lot of music from this forum, particularly that one thread (which I trawl on a regular basis).

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2011, 14:19 »

It was posted on Sordo a while back.

Also um I had the name wrong. It's Bill Cosby You! Black Entertainer.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2011, 17:21 »

i thought sordo went the way of the dodo

i used to love finding random stuff on there. it's how i discovered Shapes Like Dinosaurs, and they're now one of my favorite bands
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Marupinku

• Not quite a lurker
    • last.fm
« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2011, 18:26 »

Whenever I find a cool looking download blog, I download everything posted on it.  There's a few blogs/forums I follow and download everything posted.  I routinely check RateYourMusic and last.fm for best of year lists, and download whatever I'm missing, or buy if I can't find it.  I'll buy random stuff that sounds good at a record shop or download random stuff that sounds cool I find on Soulseek.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #31 on: 22 Mar 2011, 18:49 »

i thought sordo went the way of the dodo

i used to love finding random stuff on there. it's how i discovered Shapes Like Dinosaurs, and they're now one of my favorite bands

sordo is still alive and well, it was down for a bit but it came back and has been one of my primary resources for months

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #32 on: 22 Mar 2011, 21:47 »

Indeed, Sordo is back and as good as ever, it's the first place I look for all indie pop/rock releases that I want to give a listen to. Most of the music I buy I get straight from the labels (small labels still sell their own stuff, it's amazing!) or from the band/artist at shows. On rare occasions I'll hit up a distro - Discriminate, Mimoraglu, Forced Exposure if I really have to. If I just want to download something I tend to just do a google search for " 'band' 'album' blogspot download/mediafire." Almost everything turns up when I do that and, if I get linked to some good blogs, I tend to find other cool stuff too.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2011, 00:19 »

NICE TRY RIAA

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #34 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:21 »

Local record stores, QC and a few other blogs, really help me find the stuff I now consider my library.

I'd check this out, too:
http://www.newdust.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up