THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadows of the Damned  (Read 3310 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Shadows of the Damned
« on: 08 Mar 2011, 23:41 »

Suda 51 has a new game coming out this year. From what I can gather it's a hot mess of grindhouse tropes with Akira Yamaoka on soundtrack.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/03/shadows-of-the-damned-is-a-kick-in-the-nuts-of-convention/

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
Re: Shadows of the Damned
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2011, 09:46 »

I'm excited for this game's potential because Suda51 does right by me and Shinji Mikami has handled many of my favorite games. I don't know how worried I am that this looks like Resident Evil and No More Heroes playing babytime backstage at a punk show.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2011, 17:08 »

I wonder if the inevitable slew of minigames will be any good this time around.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2011, 17:29 »

I mean Suda51 certainly does not lack for personality but in terms of design his games of late have not been particularly unconventional. It'll be nice to see him break out of the Wii ghetto. Remember when we were all thinking that the Wii would revolutionize the way we play games? That was fun, wasn't it?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ikrik

« Reply #4 on: 09 Mar 2011, 19:22 »

I remember that brief period of time when the Wii as a system was not a joke.  Good times.

As for this....I'm a little torn.  It looks like a completely generic third person shooter and yet I know that because it's Suda that the game is going to be overflowing with personality and (hopefully) awesome.  Also sad that it looks so gritty and serious, really getting tired of that.  Suda is fantastic and the game is definitely on my radar even though if I'm only looking at gameplay it seems ok.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2011, 21:06 »

The guy has a floating skull on a stick that talks in a goofy British accent and transforms into all his weapons. His name is Garcia Hotspur. I don't think I would worry about it taking itself too seriously. Neither Suda nor Mikami has a particular track record of that.

For the record, I think the trailer looks boss as hell and I will play the shit out of this, if only because I would like to facilitate Goichi Suda's ability to make video games as much as possible.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2011, 02:19 by Storm Rider »
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

MusicScribbles

« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2011, 23:26 »

Also, do not forget that Johnson the ex-demon skull can transform into a handgun called the Boner. This game will never take itself seriously, I am almost sure of this.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:29 »

NMH was not a serious game, this does not look like a serious game. The grittiness is part of the grindhouse thing.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:48 »

This looks so strange.  I'm trying to figure out if it's all tongue in cheek, or if they're being serious.

If tongue in cheek, great.

If they're trying to be serious...  Yeah, I'm not impressed.

Grindhouse style shouldn't be used as an excuse for poor lighting, poor graphics, and well, okay it IS an excuse for poor storyline, but still...

Like I said, still trying to figure this out.  Not sure what their intentions are.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:25 »

I... I don't really know how you could mistake this for anything but tongue in cheek.

It's like thinking that Monty Python skits aren't comedy but a serious and professional discussion.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:40 »

You would be hard pressed to tell me that this is supposed to be funny. I always thought Monty Python were the Carl Sagan of lamens philosophy.

Ikrik

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2011, 13:47 »

I meant dark and gritty in terms of art-direction, something that I'm still feeling iffy about with this game.  Like, if we were just looking at screenshots of the game I would not be impressed at all, it really looks like almost every shooter out there.

That being said, I am excited for this game despite my misgivings about the art direction.  I've always wanted to see Suda on my PS3 and I know that he's not going to release something that's fundamentally broken or buggy (unless it's on purpose and I wouldn't put that past him).  This is a game I want to see a lot more of, it's on my radar but it is not yet blowing me away. 

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:44 »

I... I don't really know how you could mistake this for anything but tongue in cheek.

I suppose it's that I'm somewhat cautious in my approach to games like this nowadays.  Resident Evil didn't take itself seriously at first either.  The first game was full of schlocktastic crap, straight out of B horror movies.  Then they got all ambitious, and started taking themselves WAY too seriously.  Pretty much ruined the series for me by the end of it.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2011, 15:58 »

I don't think Suda51 would have the inclination or the attention span to do that.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1]   Go Up