THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 00:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renting Server Space  (Read 4976 times)

ackblom12

Renting Server Space
« on: 20 Mar 2011, 14:15 »

I am looking into renting some server space for the forum Minecraft world and I am kind of coming up empty handed for the most part. I'm going to need this partially because there are going to be numerous weeks over the next few months where the server will be down if I keep it on my network as well as it technically breaking ISP policy etc etc and overall it seems like a good idea for lag issues since they're likely to have the bandwith for such things anyways.

Problem is I'm not finding anyplace to rent this space from. I've found a couple with good web sites and a pretty easy process for ordering the space but no support for Minecraft as of yet. Also I won't deny that I have no idea what to look for as far as what they offer and prices go. Can anyone help me out trying to find a decent server rental business in the US?
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2011, 15:21 by ackblom12 »

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
Re: Renting Server Space
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2011, 19:35 »

After a little bit of Googling I found this site.  But, I also have no idea about anything w/r/t renting server space.  If this is affordable, if this is a good rate, or anything like that.  Also, the domain is .de so it seems to be German, but it's all in English and the prices are in both Euro and $. 

I also found this one, but, again, I don't know much about this stuff.  This one is definitely less customizable of an offer than the earlier one.

One thing is that if you do wanna get something like this where the map size is figured into the price, you may wanna go in with mcedit and clip off parts of the world (after saving a backup, of course) which were generated b/c people got lost and wandered away--since there's likely nothing special built there and will probably never have anything built there.  There used to be a mod called "tether" or "leash" or something that kept all players within a set distance (1500 blocks or so) from spawn.  So the world was kept to a small, circular size.  i don't know if there's been a new version or what, but that may be worth looking into, too.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:32 »

yeah, I was tempted to do MCedit to trim and use a hard limit plugin for mapsize anyways since I can definitely see the benefit of doing so with how quickly the map can grow, especially since we've got the Nether plugin.

The VeryGames site looks nice. I'd be down for including the voice server with it as well anyways since skype seems to cause problems for my in game sound and I can't be bothered to setup ventrilo. What do you think we should have for open slots? I'm thinking 8 should be plenty for our size group. Maybe add to it if we start letting trusted non forum folk in. If we got 8 open slots with the voice server supporting the same number, with the smaller of the two size maps and map viewer, it would only be about $16 a month. A lot less if we found we didn't have any serious issues with it after the first month and opted to pay for a few months in advance.

I still have no idea if this is good pricing, but it's comparable to the other site you listed, and with more options. It seems reasonable enough though.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2011, 04:11 »

The price doesn't sound too bad, remember there's a few of us that are willing to chip in!

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2011, 14:56 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up