THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm kinda bummed by entire discographies online guys  (Read 4006 times)

Zingoleb

I mean yeah it's cool and all that you can just go on demonoid or piratebay or whatever kids use these days and get an artist's entire discography and all, and I like this ability!

but at the same time it's pretty sucky because it used to mean something when someone said, "I have all their albums." It used to mean that you actually spent a few hundred dollars and took the time to find them and pay for them and once you pay that much for a discography you're going to listen to it. It feels like having the whole set was a point of pride that you were really into a band, that you were a Serious Fan of their work

now someone goes and downloads the whole thing and brags about it when to be honest they only listen to maybe half a dozen (or seven!) songs out of the whole thing. not necessarily you guys. other people. this makes me sad!

what do y'all think?

also I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I haven't slept in two days - who wants a hug?

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Re: I'm kinda bummed by entire discographies online guys
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:35 »

thats why you have to say "i have all their albums on vinyl" to sound cool in 2011.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:48 »

It used to mean that you actually spent a few hundred dollars

Hey, if you want to give me a few hundred dollars so I can get all those ultra-rare Japan-only Boris vinyl pressings, go ahead.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:52 »

If you wanna lend me the magic powers to conjure up all the Mountain Goats cassettes that don't exist anymore that'd be pretty cool too
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:01 »

Also Spotify has most anything that people would make that claim about who would make that claim and not mean they own all the physical albums (does that sentence even make sense) that you could just respond 'yeah well me too' and load up Spotify. Unless you don't live in Europe that is.

Anyways, all the cool kids only listen to bands who've only released one album, and only released that album on re-used casette recorded over a Coltrane and Thelonious Monk session from 1957 at the Five Spot, so yeah.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:29 »

Well I have an original German pressing of Black Monk Time so I guess I'm cool enough for these forums right?

Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:31 »

I have a German pressing of um..

I can't remember which one, but it was one of the first 5 or 6 Ramones albums.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2011, 14:23 »

To be fair there's not SO much difference from say, borrowing a whole discography. So yeah you might have all the Toto albums but if I borrow them off you, I didn't pay for them and yet have them. Someone always has to pay for a copy.

I like getting discographies in physical form. Hell, its fun to collect stuff. And when its amazing music you feel that you are a part of somehow then yeah, even better.

Do agree with the above though, I've been to gigs that are supporting albums that I illegally downloaded. But they got my money for the ticket and they got money from the t-shirts I purchased and the venue made money off all that beer, so y'know, fair game.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2011, 15:23 »

ed i'm sleep deprived too so this kind of fits in

i never got into torrenting (plus it's illegal at school) so my album acquisition is still just one by one (but not as bad as when i had dial-up and got everything track by track on soulseek, but fuck i troopered through that for a number of years, and i no longer have any idea how. probably the youthful patience)

even if i did torrent though i'd never get entire discographies of something i was unfamiliar with or something i didn't know i needed because having everything at once kills excitement and the uncertainty of other unlistened albums and you get super lazy which is why i avoided dumping gigs of unspecified music on my friends after the first time in eighth grade when i gave my best friend a bunch of shit and i'd just be like "have you listened to this" "no" "well GOD DAMN IT DUDE YOU HAVE IT"

i think the REAL cred comes in not from just all the LPs but the b-sides and the unreleased and the live shits, that's a good indication of devotion. that's what separates me from the Other Radiohead Fans My Age

was this even on topic
it's time to stop posting

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2011, 21:12 »

i got 3 mountain goat albusm seperatly liked all of them and then downloaded a 1.5gb discography...i'm still working on physical copies...got outbid on come come to the sunset tree at $300
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2011, 09:55 »

it used to mean something when someone said, "I have all their albums." It used to mean that you actually spent a few hundred dollars and took the time to find them and pay for them and once you pay that much for a discography you're going to listen to it.

Anyone can turn anything into a merit badge.  Just cause someone laid down a wad of money for something doesn't mean they're more deserving of 'credibility.'

At the same time, maybe someone spent six weeks waiting for a single seed torrent to finish of some rare japanese artist discog that they had no means to afford buying off ebay or whatever.  Is this person is a lessor fan?  

My mom used to say, "money doesn't buy everything," and I think 'music cred' definitely fits into this category.

(ed: dang I just realized this is a really old topic sorry bros I've been gone for a bit)

Zingoleb

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2011, 14:25 »

nah that's okay, reading through this I basically realized what I was saying was half-conscious and can be summed up as 'fuck those posers'

so yeah, shitpost was shit
Pages: [1]   Go Up