Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 26 Nov 2021, 21:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ITT I plug a band who probably doesn't deserve it, also, free music  (Read 1916 times)

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

So I live smack-dab in the middle of a literal desert, which is generally kind of lame, but every now and then there are some pretty cool things coming out of the sand. There's this band called Fictionist, who I believe are one of those things. I went to their show last Friday and it was pretty damn incredible; they are very energetic, good at getting a crowd going, feeding off that energy and funneling it back where it came from, and thought not every song is a winner, they are just self-conscious enough for even the flops to work. I have heard them describe their music as space rock but if anything they remind me of Wilco with less country and more rock, and maybe a pinch of homage to Pink Floyd or some other really old band.

Here is why I'm posting about them:

These guys are currently one of eight bands in the running for a chance to a) become to cover of Rolling Stone and b) play at Bonnaroo. I have also heard rumors of a potential record contract? Not sure. While I'm not the biggest fan of ploys to achieve ridiculous amounts of fame for somewhat arbitrary reasons, I would really like to see these guys get the shot to represent the fact that this place does have some decent artistic output. And you can help, if you'd like. It's basically a popularity contest based on votes, so we the fans are out to solicit as many votes as possible.

CLICKY CLICKY

There, you can stream two of their (IMO best) tracks, give them a rating on a 5-star scale (I encourage 5-star ratings since they have the most impact, but I'm not going to ask you to be dishonest about it so vote as you do or do not please), perhaps "like" them and/or share on Facebook so even more people have the chance to listen, and download some free tracks. I can't really dictate how you use your time, or how valuable that time is, but I'd say this cause is worth it.

Other links:
pro homepage
facebook page

Also, feel free to discuss them and how shit you may or may not think they are here. I won't claim they're the best thing ever, but for the scene of this desert college town, they're refreshing, at least.

EDIT: The way the contest works, they have to make it through four rounds. The second of these rounds ends tomorrow, which will give them a chance to record another song or two in New York for round three, which ends partway through May. So these next couple days are kind of critical, but if they make it through the gauntlet, they'll need more votes again.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2011, 15:07 by imagist42 »
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

Here are some videos of them performing live:

Uptight (last song of the night)
Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin cover)
A new song they look forward to recording in New York if they get enough votes to move on!

The second round ends tonight so, you know, all votes are appreciated.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts
Pages: [1]   Go Up