THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 04:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 18-22 Apr 2011 (1906-1910)  (Read 73385 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT 18-22 Apr 2011 (1906-1910)
« Reply #100 on: 19 Apr 2011, 14:24 »

I think that Dora and Marten need to get past this.  They were friends before they became partners, and if anyone is to blame for the train wreck of their relationship it's Dora and her insecurities, something she readily admitted when she pulled the plug on their relationship and something she is finally getting some therapy over.

I think that them meeting again at CoD would be a good idea.

Just so long as it's Faye who has her hands on the Broadsword   :-D  ;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #101 on: 19 Apr 2011, 15:01 »

I tend to think it will be more awkward for Marten than for Dora.  She initiated the breakup, knowing full well that it was her problems causing it.  Add to that the fact that she was pretty self-unaware both in their relationship and in therapy ("So, tell me about your brother...").  I just think that, though she may be surprised when he shows up (or when she arrives and he's still there), she's not the type to be awkward about their past. 

Marten, on the other hand, is a guy.  We tend to be a little more clueless about emotional shit.  Well, at least Marten does.  So without any sense of Dora's reaction, he's gonna be nervous as hell until it happens. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #102 on: 19 Apr 2011, 15:46 »

Marten, on the other hand, is a guy.  We tend to be a little more clueless about emotional shit. 

Testify Brother Carl - tell it to the people.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #103 on: 19 Apr 2011, 16:06 »

No, not clueless - just "differently clued".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #104 on: 19 Apr 2011, 17:17 »

True enough, but most of us pick up the clues differently than women.  We usually know something's  up, but often can't quite put our fingers on it. 

It's like Holmes and Watson... 

Watson wuld say, "Look, Holmes!  Footprints!  Someone's been through here!" 

Holmes would say that the "someone" was about 6'3", and had injured his left leg ("Note the scraping around the left footprint, and its slight angle.")

Differently clued, indeed! 

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #105 on: 19 Apr 2011, 17:55 »

Nah Carl, you had it right the first time-when it comes to how women will react emotionally, most of us guys ARE clueless. Note how, from your link above, Marten COMPLETELELY missed that Dora had the hots for him before she kissed him.

To use your Holmes and Watson example, Watson would'nt even have seen the footprints, never mind been able to estimate the vital stats of the person who made them.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Watched Pot

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #106 on: 19 Apr 2011, 19:42 »

but he does love jam.
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #107 on: 19 Apr 2011, 20:21 »

I think it would have been funny if Faye actually had drawn Dora's face on a bag of coffee beans and presented it to Marten.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #108 on: 19 Apr 2011, 20:59 »

He didn't necessarily not realize that Dora liked him because he was clueless, he didn't realize it because whenever a guy thinks a girl is into him, he is always wrong.  Which after a while has him assuming that no girls are into him.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #109 on: 19 Apr 2011, 21:03 »

Given the way Jeph likes to mess with his characters, the next time Marten meets Dora it may be when he's not prepared and in an awkward situation.

Dora's Diary, June 25th, 20XX: Today I saw Martin for the first time in as many months since the breakup. He was in a dressing room at Hot Topic....

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #110 on: 19 Apr 2011, 21:29 »

No, not clueless - just "differently clued".

....and that's my new avatar text!!!

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #111 on: 19 Apr 2011, 21:31 »

Given the way Jeph likes to mess with his characters, the next time Marten meets Dora it may be when he's not prepared and in an awkward situation.

Dora's Diary, June 25th, 20XX: Today I saw Martin for the first time in as many months since the breakup. He was in a dressing room at Hot Topic....
Hmm...

"July 4th, 20XX: Saw Marten for the first time in a while at the local Independence Day celebration. He was drunk and had a small flag hanging from his crotch...."
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #112 on: 19 Apr 2011, 21:50 »

True enough, but most of us pick up the clues differently than women.  We usually know something's  up, but often can't quite put our fingers on it. 

It's like Holmes and Watson... 

Watson wuld say, "Look, Holmes!  Footprints!  Someone's been through here!" 

Holmes would say that the "someone" was about 6'3", and had injured his left leg ("Note the scraping around the left footprint, and its slight angle.")

Differently clued, indeed! 
On the other hand, while they were thus engaged, Watson would notice the pretty lady that walked by. Holmes would simply see a woman, however many details he conjured up about her history. 'Different' is not necessarily worse.

If you really want to talk about such things, read "The Adventure of the Lion's Mane" and compare it to the Watson-narrated adventures to get an idea of what Doyle (not Watson) thought of Holmes.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #113 on: 19 Apr 2011, 22:21 »

On the other hand, while they were thus engaged, Watson would notice the pretty lady that walked by. Holmes would simply see a woman, however many details he conjured up about her history. 'Different' is not necessarily worse.

Good point.  And it would be Watson who would note that she was "distressed"!

If you really want to talk about such things, ...

Naah, I was just trawling for a literary example of the different levels of cluelessness between men and women.  I read the whole canon when I was much younger, but can't place the one you mention.  Time to dig out the annotated collection, I guess...

But your point is well taken - my wife, when seeing that I'm not my usual smiling self, will oftern launch into an "Omigod, what's wrong?" reaction when it's usually just me being tired at the end of a day.  Her emotional radar can be oversensitive!

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #114 on: 19 Apr 2011, 22:48 »

I just keep thinking about how happy Hanners was to see Marten come in. She's just the best.
'tis why she's my favorite character.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #115 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:15 »

And Faye is about to defenestrate him into the dumpster in back.

Wouldn't it be funny, though, if Faye strikes out and the white Knight who subdues Creepy Clinton...

...is Sven? 
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #116 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:15 »

I guess we all saw this coming. Clinton has not shown a capacity for learning (to wait for Hanner's consent to take that pic). Go get the broadsword, Marten/Faye. unless for some strange reason Hannelore wants to give him a third chance
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

knucklesandgyros

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #117 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:16 »

Cue the Marten/Hanners shippers in 3..2..1..

*pauses* Okay it'll be a little longer than that

But yeah, Clinton is massive creepers. Dude doesn't seem to be an a-hole...just naturally tending towards the creepers. Some folks just are creepy that way. However, I do wanna see Marten try to beat him up. It would be pretty awesome to see.
Personal Mantra: When in doubt, do it for the lulz

akronnick

« Reply #118 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:16 »

Dead man walking!!!!

Clinton has no idea how much peril he is in. :-o :-o :-o

If that picture makes it to the internet his life is forfeit!!!

Wait...were Marten's CoD murderin' privileges revoked along with his free coffee privileges?

I think in this case, since he's being overseen by Faye, Dora will make an exception...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #119 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:23 »

I like how Clinton can be construed as Jeph's in-comic avatar for his fans/this forum with very little brain work.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:24 »

Remember the description of the Malaysian Battle Spatula as "You could lop off a hand with that thing!".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #121 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:29 »

You know what, I'm calling it first - if Faye tries to beat up Clinton, she's in trouble.  You do not attack a guy with a robot hand and come out okay.  Clinton probably has at least a taser in there, probably all kinds of stuff.

Oh, and to close the loophole:  He was technically working when Marten drove him off with a sword, so he didn't argue then in case he made his company liable.  I imagine a company that builds AnthroPCs has its lawyers kept busy enough.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

westrim

« Reply #122 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:33 »

Asking for permission and then doing it before a response has a chance to be communicated is generally pretty douchy. And he didn't even apologize for his conduct at their first encounter.

Also, it looks someone's jealous and it's not the guys at the message board! I was joking please don't hurt me...

Is it just me or does he seem to make a point of doing things with his metal hand?

You know what, I'm calling it first - if Faye tries to beat up Clinton, she's in trouble.  You do not attack a guy with a robot hand and come out okay.  Clinton probably has at least a taser in there, probably all kinds of stuff.

Oh, and to close the loophole:  He was technically working when Marten drove him off with a sword, so he didn't argue then in case he made his company liable.  I imagine a company that builds AnthroPCs has its lawyers kept busy enough.
He could have a fully loaded pistol in there even, if Jeph reads the Honor Harrington series and coil guns have been miniaturized in the QCverse.

Clinton is from the University of Massive Chewing Sets, not a company. Where did you get the idea that he works for an AnthroPC manufacturer?

« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2011, 00:41 by westrim »

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #123 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:42 »

So..... does this comic clear up the whole "Nerdgasming geek vs creepy stalker" debate?

:police: Please come this way, Clinton. We need to have a few words with you.  :police:

On a side note, I think Faye is giving Marten too little credit. Sure he's a non-combatant most of the time, but fuck with his friends (See: Vespa girl / Clinton) and he'll find an object off panel to swing at you.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2011, 00:44 by Kazukagii »
I had something witty to put down here but.....

Tergon

« Reply #124 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:42 »

Actually I just forgot that.  But still!  In that case, the University probably wouldn't want him to get sued anyway.  My bad, but the point remains valid.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #125 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:45 »

does he seem to make a point of doing things with his metal hand?

Metal or not, he's simply right-handed.  But he did say he preferred not to cover it like some other people, so I guess that's  making a point.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #126 on: 20 Apr 2011, 00:58 »

Remember the description of the Malaysian Battle Spatula as "You could lop off a hand with that thing!".

So THAT'S what happened to his original hand...
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #127 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:02 »

I realise that there are rules against this sort of thing but I'm tempted to ship Clinton.

A big viking ship, on fire and floating out to sea.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #128 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:07 »

Asking for permission and then doing it before a response has a chance to be communicated is generally pretty douchy. And he didn't even apologize for his conduct at their first encounter.

Also, it looks someone's jealous and it's not the guys at the message board! I was joking please don't hurt me...

Is it just me or does he seem to make a point of doing things with his metal hand?

Yeah not apologizing for what happened last time annoyed me too. Marten's not jealous, he just doesn't want anybody triple h.*

The metal hand doesn't have to have weapons in it; it as it is is a pretty good weapon. His arm is pretty much a blunt weapon now. One good punch in the right spot and he could knock someone the fuck out.

*Triple h meaning, of course, hurting his Hannelore  8-)
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

WaffleIron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #129 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:23 »

"Oh Clinton. You're kind of a douche!" - Mr Jacques: Master of understatement

Didn't the farewell he received last time tip him off just slightly?

Tergon

« Reply #130 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:27 »

To quote Aaron from Sam And Fuzzy:  "Dude!  Robot hand, not robot arm and torso."

Clinton's hand may be made of metal, but he has the proportional strength of, well, himself.  A short, skinny guy who doesn't exactly look like a member of the local branch of Fight Club.  If he can one-hit-KO anyone, it's either through blind luck or because he's secretly a ninja, and in either case he doesn't need the metal hand in the first place.  At most, if he swings a punch now, it's more likely to hurt the target than himself, and that's about the only improvement I can see.  If he has a need to defend himself against Faye, either that hand has serious hardware upgrades, or he's in for a world of hurt.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #131 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:28 »

I just had this image of Dora walking into CoD just as Marten punches a customer in the face.

Awkward...
I had something witty to put down here but.....

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #132 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:30 »

On a side note, I think Faye is giving Marten too little credit.

...this is surprising? It's practically par for the course.

Asking for permission and then doing it before a response has a chance to be communicated is generally pretty douchy fucking rude.

Fixed that for ya.  :wink:

Seriously. I have no phobias about having my picture taken (like a few people I know), and I have no particular self-image issues that make me averse to having my picture taken...

...but if you ask permission, and then don't wait for my answer, you might be leaving the room intact, but your electronic device won't be. Especially if you've announced an intention to make the photo public.

Either wait for me to answer, or just surprise me...either is less likely to get your camera smashed.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #133 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:32 »

"Let me handle this, cupcake."

Favorite Faye is  BACK!    :-D
Irresponsible Adult GOM

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #134 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:32 »

Alternate last line for Marten: "You said you wouldn't use my pet name in public!"
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

« Reply #135 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:35 »

Alternate last line for Faye: You get the door, I'll get the spatula.

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster
« Reply #136 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:14 »

A douche harrassing a barista on a coffee shop? Hanners showing clear disdain at said douche's persistence?

Calling it now, Hanners and Clinton get into a relationship 300 strips later.
yeah um no

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #137 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:15 »

oooh! are we gonna see the rocket punch now?

is he gonna rocket punch faye??

rocket puuuuuuunch!!1!

akronnick

« Reply #138 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:22 »

A douche harrassing a barista on a coffee shop? Hanners showing clear disdain at said douche's persistence?

Oh it'll take longer than that. It took Angus over 1000 strips to finally wear Faye down (and they both had other relationships in the meantime.)

With Hanners, it'll be more like 3000.

I doubt Faye will allow Clinton's continued existence for that long.

SJCrew

« Reply #139 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:47 »

Whoa, what the hell. Why is Marten taking another level in badass all of a sudden? I didn't even get time to recover from the last one. And since Marten already got his shine in the 'protect Hanners' spotlight, I think it's reasonable to expect some Faye on Clinton action...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #140 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:57 »

oooh! are we gonna see the rocket punch now?

is he gonna rocket punch faye??

rocket puuuuuuunch!!1!
Not rocket punch!

Rocket dinosaur-head!

Also, have we really forgotten that Marten, the darling little cupcake, stone cold KO'd an experienced battle-monk with a souffle pan?
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2011, 03:07 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Blood-Tree

• Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #141 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:02 »

!

I really thought Clinton was a one-time-only character (like Sven's intern...)

Any bets that CoD gets flooded by iFanboys thereby forcing Hanners to invent a time machine and destroy Clinton at birth retire?

akronnick

« Reply #142 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:05 »

Also, have we really forgotten that Marten, the darling little cupcake, stone cold KO'd an experienced battle-monk with a souffle pan?

To be fair, the battle-monk in question was waiting in line for his post-rumble latte when Marten took a cheap shot from behind.

Any battle-monk worth his salt would guard against potential enemies taking advantage of a lowering of his defenses like that.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #143 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:09 »

Whoa, what the hell. Why is Marten taking another level in badass all of a sudden? I didn't even get time to recover from the last one. And since Marten already got his shine in the 'protect Hanners' spotlight, I think it's reasonable to expect some Faye on Clinton action...

Pretty sure it is far less "taking another level in badass" and more "having a convenient outlet for venting all of his frustrations" or "projecting all of his built up anger on the easy target".

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #144 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:14 »

On a side note, I think Faye is giving Marten too little credit. Sure he's a non-combatant most of the time, but fuck with his friends (See: Vespa girl / Clinton) and he'll find an object off panel to swing at you.
Swing and miss, and later his entire contribution to defeating the Vespavenger was stopping her robot's foot with his groin. Give the boy a souflé-pan though and he's dangerous.

Clinton has definitely slipped into creepy stalker territory. This needs to be nipped in the bud, or he'll build some kind of shrine to Hanners in his bedroom.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

« Reply #145 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:17 »

Either that or interupt her drunkenly trying to take a piss in the men's room sink. :psyduck:

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #146 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:26 »

I think you are trying to imply that Angus has a message board.

That is disgraceful slander. Angus is a pundit; forums are amateur hour, and other people set them up for him. Angus has a blog, thank you very much. And not one of those cheap Blogspot ones. One he PAYS for.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2011, 03:43 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #147 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:01 »

This needs to be nipped in the bud, or he'll build some kind of shrine to Hanners in his bedroom.

And how do we know he hasn't done it already? I mean, with the Internet and it's fast pace of dissecting information, for all we know, he already did it (and it's all Pintsize's fault).
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2011, 04:45 by cesariojpn »

Zwiebel

• Not quite a lurker
  • Die Zwiebelkoenigin
« Reply #148 on: 20 Apr 2011, 05:04 »

I think the thing is- shippers gon' hate- we all have a friend like Hanners who is a little more vulnerable and a little more in need of defense than others. I oscillate between Faye and Hanners as my favorite character, because they are so similar and yet so different. Both have crippling personal issues tempered by a steely strength that comes out when needed. They have both overcome some of their issues, making them a better/happier person. Faye happens to be a hardass on the outside, whereas Hanners is more reserved about it- and vice versa regarding the issues.

I feel this has a part in why Marten feels so protective- he knows what Faye went through to come up to the surface, and wants to make it easier for Hanners than he was able to for Faye. It's not about romantic interest or anything, it's about being a friend and using your prior experiences to make things easier for others. Hanners is still struggling with her OCD, her asocial tendencies, and her other issues to become what she wants to be- normal with a normal life. For someone doing that, the interference of the likes of Clinton can be destructive. What better way to bolster social anxiety than to force someone to be afraid of going about their day because of YOUR lack of social boundaries? Who the heck takes a picture without waiting for permission? Worse, who plans on putting up a picture like this on a message board without even asking permission? I don't have near as many social anxieties as Hannelore has, and I would freak out about that. It's called basic respect- and Clint ain't givin' it.

Also, where does everyone in this comic get their swords? Is it a Terry Pratchett thing where they make them themselves? Also, I don't think Faye would have an issue with this guy, robotic hand or not. Marten... well, all bets are off when someone scares that vulnerable friend I mentioned earlier.

If Not You, Who Else? - Terry Pratchett

Real children do not go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs. - Terry Pratchett

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #149 on: 20 Apr 2011, 05:07 »

You see, Marten's been taking lessons from Neville Longbottom...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up