• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Mid-week poll!

Couch is going down!
Couch is going up!
-.. .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- -. --.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 25-29 Apr 2011 (1911-1915)  (Read 106064 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT 25-29 Apr 2011 (1911-1915)
« Reply #150 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:20 »

Whether they're going up or down depends.  Is this Sven's apartment or Dora's new one?  If the former, down, if the latter, up.

Also, check out the new poll!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #151 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:25 »

Dora's couch at Marten's Apartment.

The brown one on the left.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

TheEvilDog

« Reply #152 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:29 »

Daaaaang! Akronnick is right.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #153 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:30 »

But not infrequently it does.  Why do persist in denying what happens not to be part of your own experience?

I'm sane? If there is nobody around to hear me and I'm not specifically talking to someone, I don't say anything out loud (unless I've stubbed my toe in the dark or something, and then it's just a stream of fucks and damnits).

akronnick

« Reply #154 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:33 »

Daaaaang! Akronnick is right.

You act surprised!

You see I, like the QC wiki, provide evidence to support my hypotheses, rather than just asserting my own opinion as absolute fact...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #155 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:35 »

Simple nervousness doesn't usually result in talking to yourself out loud (panels 1-4) as you try to psyche yourself up to do something (as opposed to, say, thought bubbles).

Sounds like fairly common outward processor behaviour to me. It's not unreasonable for someone to vocalise something out loud to prevent that sounded better in my head moments. I understand that hearing it out loud helps reduce fear as someone psyches themselves up.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #156 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:37 »

Simple nervousness doesn't usually result in talking to yourself out loud (panels 1-4) as you try to psyche yourself up to do something (as opposed to, say, thought bubbles).

Sounds like fairly common outward processor behaviour to me. It's not unreasonable for someone to vocalise something out loud to prevent that sounded better in my head moments. I understand that hearing it out loud helps reduce fear as someone psyches themselves up.

But then you're leaving "simple nervousness" territory and entering "abject fear/terror".

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #157 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:45 »

So it's Dora's couch.  That doesn't answer the question of where they are, which would answer the question of up or down.  Unless I'm missing something.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #158 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:49 »

Read the first two panels again. They're going up because they're arguing about being unable to go around the corner.

Which wouldn't make sense if they were going down the stairs because they're already facing down that way with the couch.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #159 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:51 »

I didn't know the timeline, but it sure feels like they were dating longer than that and broke up more recently than that. In any case, everyone is different. I do not think that 2 months equals fucked up territory.

There is a lot of dispute over the timeline (arguments over the starting point being either when Marten hangs out with Dora without Faye around or when they actually date/start fucking, etc.), but the point I was going for is that the relationship moved into "Let's live together!" territory way too fast and the breakup also being pretty soon should mean the relationship shouldn't take that long to get over. Unless it is literally Marten's second "real" relationship.

Actually, the time line is a lot more simple than that thanks to this http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1907 comic which is on the same day as today's comic. In it Martin comments that "it's been weeks, we've both had plenty of time to chill out". The only thing it can possibly refer to is the breakup night when they last saw each other. For me, "weeks" would be 2-3 weeks (as 4 weeks would probably be referred to as a month).

Interestingly this helps disproves Odin's previous arguments that Martin should stop being a whiney little bitch for not being over Dora on the basis that it has been months since the breakup - I'm paraphrasing Odin's argument as to whether it would be acceptable for Tai to make a move on Dora post break up. We still don't know how long they were together - probably 6 months or more, but not a year - but we know the breakup was "weeks" ago. The question is whether or not 2-3 weeks is plenty of time for someone to get over a relationship that both parties were taking seriously but split up spectacularly rather than die a natural death.

akronnick

« Reply #160 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:52 »

So it's Dora's couch.  That doesn't answer the question of where they are, which would answer the question of up or down.  Unless I'm missing something.

I wasn't addressing the question of up or down, merely the disposition of the couch during the period when Dora lived with Marten.

The location of the stairwell in today's comic, and thus the direction of the couch, remains unclear, unless someone can produce a link that can establish the location of the stairwell in question.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #161 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:01 »

Actually, the time line is a lot more simple than that thanks to this http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1907 comic which is on the same day as today's comic. In it Martin comments that "it's been weeks, we've both had plenty of time to chill out". The only thing it can possibly refer to is the breakup night when they last saw each other. For me, "weeks" would be 2-3 weeks (as 4 weeks would probably be referred to as a month).

Jeph seems to be being intentionally vague on this point, but it has been more than 2-3 weeks because people have changed hair styles (longer hair) and Marten has been going to the Secret Bakery for a few weeks already (pretty sure Hannelore commented on this).

Interestingly this helps disproves Odin's previous arguments that Martin should stop being a whiney little bitch for not being over Dora on the basis that it has been months since the breakup - I'm paraphrasing Odin's argument as to whether it would be acceptable for Tai to make a move on Dora post break up. We still don't know how long they were together - probably 6 months or more, but not a year - but we know the breakup was "weeks" ago. The question is whether or not 2-3 weeks is plenty of time for someone to get over a relationship that both parties were taking seriously but split up spectacularly rather than die a natural death.

In one of the previous arguments about this I also said that Marten should be farther along getting over it because there have been plenty of clues along the way that Dora was going to break up with him if he ever grew a spine and stood up to her, with that easy stipulation that this doesn't really apply if Marten is literally that inexperienced in the dating/relationship world and Dora was literally his third "serious" attempt at a relationship (after the two failures we know about with the ex he moved across the country for and the non-starter with Faye).

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #162 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:02 »

But not infrequently it does.  Why do persist in denying what happens not to be part of your own experience?

I'm sane? If there is nobody around to hear me and I'm not specifically talking to someone, I don't say anything out loud (unless I've stubbed my toe in the dark or something, and then it's just a stream of fucks and damnits).

It is quite a common exercise that people without confidence are sometimes advised to do is to look in the mirror and say out loud lines such as "I am strong, I am capable and I can X" where X is whatever task is that the person has to do that day. I've known people who have counted down vocally with the intention of acting once they hit zero if they are nervous about what they have to do.

People giving themselves an audiable peptalk before doing something is surprisingly common.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #163 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:11 »

Jeph seems to be being intentionally vague on this point, but it has been more than 2-3 weeks because people have changed hair styles (longer hair) and Marten has been going to the Secret Bakery for a few weeks already (pretty sure Hannelore commented on this).

So although Martin comments it has been weeks, and Hannelore might have commented that Martin has been going to the Secret Bakery for weeks (something Martin only going to days at most post break up) then clearly what both meant to say was "months" and not "weeks" which was a typo on Jeph's part.

And flicking back through the achives from the most recent one backwards, I'd say quite a few characters appear to have recently had haircuts - whose hiar do you think has got significantly longer that would suggest months?

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #164 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:16 »

^^^Faye is the one whose hair got longer, then got cut. There was a thread about it and everything.

It is quite a common exercise that people without confidence are sometimes advised to do is to look in the mirror and say out loud lines such as "I am strong, I am capable and I can X" where X is whatever task is that the person has to do that day. I've known people who have counted down vocally with the intention of acting once they hit zero if they are nervous about what they have to do.

People giving themselves an audiable peptalk before doing something is surprisingly common.

So something being common means it should be considered correct/normal? Here is a more extreme example: Should the 52% of Americans that believe the Civil War was not entirely due to the racist Confederacy's stance on Slavery (completely ignoring obvious evidence to the contrary like the Cornerstone Speech the VP of the Confederate States gave) not be derided for their stupidity?
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 12:20 by Odin »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #165 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:25 »

Something being common makes it normal...but not necessarily correct.

Modifier: Also, what bothers me about the "states rights" argument is that they make the argument that states rights not only trump the right of the federal government to make national laws, but also the right of individuals to not be owned by someone else.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 12:28 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #166 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:33 »

One brown couch in the Reed/Whitaker/(Bianchi) apartment in happier days. There is source support for that. Good eye, AkronNick.
How many gray couches? There appear to be two, though you only see one at a time. One against the wall, one standing off from another wall. And there are windows along two walls of the living room (real estate agent said it was a corner unit, and we've seen the windows).
Where does everything go?
Reminds me of the Brady Bunch house, for which one TV fan tried to draw plans based on the set seen on screen. He even made a book out of it. Buildable, but improbable.
Is this living room like that? Or the Enterprise? Or The Doctor's time-space-traveling phone booth? You want to apply logic, but there are all these little talking robots running around. Things ain't normal.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #167 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:40 »

^^^Faye is the one whose hair got longer, then got cut. There was a thread about it and everything.

So something being common means it should be considered correct/normal? Here is a more extreme example: Should the 52% of Americans that believe the Civil War was not entirely due to the racist Confederacy's stance on Slavery (completely ignoring obvious evidence to the contrary like the Cornerstone Speech the VP of the Confederate States gave) not be derided for their stupidity?

Statistically, a person is more likely to be hetrosexual rather than homosexuality. Are you implying that because homosexuality is not the most common type of sexuality that people who are gay are abnormal and acting wrongly? People giving themselves a verbal peptalk is common enough that other people don't immediately assume they are suffering from schizofenia (spelling?) and locked up under the mental health act for doing so. Since the idea of people giving themsleves a verbial peptalk is something that psychologists sometimes advise their patients to do, we'll assume that in their professional expert opinion is that talking to oneself can be an acceptably correct and normal behaviour.

In terms of your extreme example, since I am not american and therefore not fully knowledgable on the finer points of the American Civil War then I cannot answer the question. I am assuming on the basis of the tone of the question that the answer you seek is "yes".
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 12:42 by John_Knee »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #168 on: 27 Apr 2011, 13:47 »

Which means it wasn't a question at all, but rather a rhetorical device.  The only thing Odin likes more than making a point is being right... to the point that he'll defend himself into ridicularity, talking circles around everyone (and often himself). 

At this juncture, I'd like to remind everyone that despite appearances, Odin is not actually a troll.  True, it often seems as though he says things only to evoke an emotional response, but his life experiences are sufficiently different from the majority's that he just looks at things from a very different point of view.  Absolutism is part of his personality, as is abrasiveness.  So, like a troll, responding in kind will rarely have an effect except to ramp things up. 

Let cooler heads prevail.  Don't feed the Odin. 

:police:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #169 on: 27 Apr 2011, 14:12 »

Discussion should be about the comic and not about particular posters. That kind of thing just spirals out of control and obstructs the regular conversation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #170 on: 27 Apr 2011, 14:22 »

if Marten is literally that inexperienced in the dating/relationship world and Dora was literally his third "serious" attempt at a relationship (after the two failures we know about with the ex he moved across the country for and the non-starter with Faye).

We know about at least four others (though I'm ready for you to respond that high-school relationships don't count as serious!), because he's said so.

So something being common means it should be considered correct/normal?

No - it should be recognised as common, and so not dismissed as irrelevant.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 14:31 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #171 on: 27 Apr 2011, 14:45 »

Thought balloons are indeed rare. I don't have a citation for this, but Jeph said once something to the effect that characters standing around thinking are too "static" to suit him.

Couches at an angle do have a heavy end. Imagine a couch tipped all the way up: all the weight will be on the bottom end. Imagine moving it a little off vertical: most of the weight will be at the lower end. In between, more than half the weight will be on the lower end.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shiroihikari

• Plantmonster
« Reply #172 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:05 »

How many times will I get shot if I make a comment about Sven looking hot in more than one sense of the word?

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #173 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:09 »

How many times will I get shot if I make a comment about Sven looking hot in more than one sense of the word?
Depends on what the senses of the word you are using. At least, that's what the mods have TOLD me to say.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #174 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:14 »

Re: The Couch

The Chainsaw Option is always available   :evil:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #175 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:20 »

It seems to me that even if just one person is going to be lower than the others on the stairs, that person being Dora is not the most efficient way to operate.  Based solely on appearances, I would say that Sven and Faye are both likely to be stronger than her.

I guess there's no joke then, though.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 15:23 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #176 on: 27 Apr 2011, 16:15 »

There is this constant force called Gravity, see. You may have heard of it, and that is the force that will prevent this from happening if you are the putz on the heavy end of the couch trying to go up stairs.

Marten and Dora aren't currently fighting because they have had no contact since the breakup, which was a pretty rough and hostile one due to Dora's "Fuck you I don't have to take this, I'm out!" when Marten was getting sick of never standing up for himself in an argument.

If it's light enough for Dora to take the heavy end going up the stairs, it really isn't that bad.

The progression is outlined briefly on Helping Psychology.com on one of their pages talking about personality trait theory, this isn't really that extraordinary a claim to make.

Argumentum ad populum is almost always wrong, you should know this.

Why should I countenance reactions that I've observed as always leading to worsening a given situation as being good and valid reactions to a given situation?

Like, in this case, asking a friend to relay a message to an ex after a particularly nasty breakup where the friend doing the asking was also a bit of a drunken asshole to the person they're asking a favor of not long after the breakup. Is Faye not allowed to still be aggravated about it or (as I've interpreted how she acts around Marten in the comic) nowhere near as close a friend as she used to be after that? Is she not allowed to make that decision with regard to how she treats Marten?

That is irrelevant, since we were talking about whether or not it required actual intelligence to do and not perspective.

Chaos theory doesn't say that systems become completely unpredictable, just that we're very bad at tracking all of the required variables at the precision required for some chaotic systems (never mind that the shorthand Crichton used in certain popular novels was wrong, but don't get me started on that).

Granted, but it isn't all that difficult to figure out that there should be two people at the heavy end of the couch when you're coming up on a corner in a stairwell (so that they can support the weight while the person at the light end lifts their end of the couch higher so the required turning radius to get the couch around the corner gets smaller).

The urge to disagree with you, even when you're right (though I make no claims about that at the moment), is very strong simply because your posting is so reminiscent of the kid on the debate team that even the other debating dorks avoid.

akronnick

« Reply #177 on: 27 Apr 2011, 17:22 »

A shame the strip documenting the couch's long-established proof of existence wasn't issued earlier in this stirring internet discussion!

Sheeesh!!!

Next they'll be wanting to see the couch's long form birth certificate!   :psyduck:

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #178 on: 27 Apr 2011, 18:23 »

Late to the thread, but regarding Marten's alleged "Nice Guy"-ness:
As was pointed out, Nice Guys are essentially selfish.  This would require Marten to have a self, which by observation, he does not.  
We've seen many examples, including a solid two weeks that actually (finally) made some people uncomfortable, of Marten either meekly submitting to anything asked of/done to him or making a brief effort to resist and then being browbeaten into submitting anyway.
It seems to me that "Veronica Vance" raised herself a fine doormat, intentionally or not.

Marten doesn't do things for women in hopes/expectation of getting something out of them.  He does it just because he's conditioned to it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #179 on: 27 Apr 2011, 18:27 »

god i hate moving

x1,000.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #180 on: 27 Apr 2011, 20:00 »

god i hate moving

x1,000.

I second that x1,000.

Say, isn't 1997 one of the forms of the leet word "leet" . . . ?
Irresponsible Adult GOM

akronnick

« Reply #181 on: 27 Apr 2011, 20:10 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #182 on: 27 Apr 2011, 20:10 »

What akron said.  A 9 is a lowercase g.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:19 »

\/\/@+ |2 w3 t4l|<1|\|6 1337 n@0?

Sorry.  And must sympathize with Dora, especially since I'm 6'5", I'm always stuck on the lower end when bringing large objects up/down stairs.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #184 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:40 »

Tai is cute when she lets her crush side show  ;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #185 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:40 »

I'm confused.  The dialog says they're in front of Dora's new place...but what's Tai doing just wandering around Amherst?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #186 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:42 »

I'm confused.  The dialog says they're in front of Dora's new place...but what's Tai doing just wandering around Amherst?

Stalking her new crush.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #187 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:00 »

I wouldnt necessarily say new crush, Tai's been crushing for awhile.  Dora is newly available though.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

SJCrew

« Reply #188 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:01 »

GASDFDSAGFGSF

I SO WANT THAT NEW T-SHIRT

WaffleIron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #189 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:19 »

Mieville, what have they done to you!

And onto the important stuff: Who can figure out what the box had written on it?

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #190 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:33 »

GASDFDSAGFGSF

I SO WANT THAT NEW T-SHIRT

Just ordered it literally 2 minutes ago. To commemorate the purchase I'm now listening to Komm, susser Tod, Tsubasa wo Kudasai, and Thanatos - If I Can't Be Yours all in succession.  :-D

To answer your question Waffle, I can't tell clearly but it looks like either a D or large P for the first letter.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2011, 02:37 by Renewman »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #191 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:47 »

Oh, the joys of getting your friends to help you move. Did that ONCE! The subsequent 3 times were by professionals. The friendships those saved was well worth the co$t.
Yes. I hate moving and always hire pros. They're not expensive for local moves, and physiotherapy for the back injuries etc. is expensive. Not only are professional movers usually big and strong (certainly compared to me anyway), but they have slings and other specialised equipement, and they have lots of practice in manoeuvring sofas round stairs. Just move the small delicate stuff yourself.

And yes, Tai is well off her normal territory. Or perhaps not; we haven't seen much of her background.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Antario

• Larger than most fish
  • Evil eye is watching you
« Reply #192 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:02 »

tai is so making a pass at dora.....how hard do you think she'll get shot down?

oh...and somebody explain this shirt to me, im not familiar with the reference

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #193 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:04 »

tai is so making a pass at dora.....how hard do you think she'll get shot down?

Svens 1997 or Tai's SMIF? SMIF is the name of the local college Tai goes to/lives and where Martin works in the library with Tai.

akronnick

« Reply #194 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:06 »

And yes, Tai is well off her normal territory. Or perhaps not; we haven't seen much of her background.

That's true, but for all we know, her whole family has lived in Amhearst for years and she was visiting her sister...

And how would she have known where Dora was moving too, and when?

This strikes me as a chance oppurtunity that Tai is (awkwardly) trying to exploit.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #195 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:27 »

I'm confused.  The dialog says they're in front of Dora's new place...but what's Tai doing just wandering around Amherst?

Hmm. I interpreted the dialogue saying that they just got all of Dora's stuff out of Sven's place. Apparently there's a loaded truck/van/uhaul-trailer/whatever just next to them. After all, if this isn't Sven's place, why would Tai have gone in to pick up anything?!! Conclusion: This isn't Amherst.

Well. If we accept that bit, then the couch was on its way out in the previous strip, leaving us with a minor logical gap?? Wait! I got it. The sofa was at Sven's basement, and they were hauling it up the stairs to the ground floor.

So Tai can tag along and give a hand at the Amherst end of the move (provided that she can help carry anything other than plush toys). Wonder what's Tai's fixation in wanting to help Dora move.

Edit: Scratch all of the above. I did not notice Tai entering a truck as opposed to a hallway, where they might have piled Dora's stuff temporarily waiting for the truck. So the mystery of Tai wandering around Amherst remains.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2011, 07:28 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #196 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:30 »

Something being common makes it normal...but not necessarily correct.

Modifier: Also, what bothers me about the "states rights" argument is that they make the argument that states rights not only trump the right of the federal government to make national laws, but also the right of individuals to not be owned by someone else.

The "States Rights" argument is pure shit, given The Confederate Cornerstone Speech given by Alexander H. Stephens. Especially these tidbits:

But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

Anyway, this is silly:

Statistically, a person is more likely to be hetrosexual rather than homosexuality. Are you implying that because homosexuality is not the most common type of sexuality that people who are gay are abnormal and acting wrongly?

Two points:

1) You're starting from a flawed premise, because human sexuality is not a binary position and actually exists on a sliding scale (going from Heterosexual -> Bisexual -> Homosexual; with most people being somewhere between the three points and there being very few hardline heterosexual or homosexual people, not to mention the phenomena of people who are sexuality-phobes usually turning out to be in denial about their own sexuality--the vast majority of people are actually some degree of bisexual with Hetero/Homosexuals being the outliers).

2) Are you being deliberately obtuse and equating beliefs about human sexuality with racist beliefs?

People giving themselves a verbal peptalk is common enough that other people don't immediately assume they are suffering from schizofenia (spelling?) and locked up under the mental health act for doing so. Since the idea of people giving themsleves a verbial peptalk is something that psychologists sometimes advise their patients to do, we'll assume that in their professional expert opinion is that talking to oneself can be an acceptably correct and normal behaviour.

Psychologists are not Psychiatrists (the former tends to be a researcher, with very small pools of direct patient contact for when they're not working on a specific research subject, not to mention usually a whole hell of a lot more expensive to get appointments with), but even granting that you're going to have to provide a bit more evidence since I've always heard and read that it was an intermediate step in therapy prior to moving on to internalizing those actions and making them require far less conscious effort.

In terms of your extreme example, since I am not american and therefore not fully knowledgable on the finer points of the American Civil War then I cannot answer the question. I am assuming on the basis of the tone of the question that the answer you seek is "yes".

Given the presence of the word "not" in the question I asked, you may want to re-read the post you quoted and think about it a bit. The way I worded the question doesn't exactly allow for a simple "Yes or No" response without a follow-up explanation.

The shirt Jeph posted at the bottom of the comic or the shirt Sven is wearing that everyone is talking about?

If it's the first one, it isn't exactly "new" since Hot Topic used to have one back when End of Evangelion was released and it has been on various Cafepress t-shirt stores over the years (though usually with a different background, like the words imposed over fanart of Asuka beating the shit out of Shinji or something), if it's about Sven's shirt, I have no idea other than it being a continuation of everyone in the comic wearing "hipster" shirts.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2011, 03:38 by Odin »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #197 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:37 »

Who can figure out what the box had written on it?

I happened to see as Jeph was drawing it; the crossed out word is DILDOS.  I took it to be a modified reference to the "Party Favors" box here.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2011, 03:47 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SJCrew

« Reply #198 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:56 »

The main character of Neon Genesis Evangelion is a whiny, spineless teenager with daddy issues named Shinji. His internal conflict tends to get in the way of him piloting his giant robot and saving the world. The T-shirt is in reference to the mass of frustration fans and non-fans alike have experienced in watching the show and having to put up with his shit while a much more interesting conflict around him unfolds.

Antario

• Larger than most fish
  • Evil eye is watching you
« Reply #199 on: 28 Apr 2011, 04:01 »

The main character of Neon Genesis Evangelion is a whiny, spineless teenager with daddy issues named Shinji. His internal conflict tends to get in the way of him piloting his giant robot and saving the world. The T-shirt is in reference to the mass of frustration fans and non-fans alike have experienced in watching the show and having to put up with his shit while a much more interesting conflict around him unfolds.

hm, il go check that one out     see if i like it :P
but for now its F5'ing for naruto for the next half hour.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up