• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Mid-week poll!

Couch is going down!
Couch is going up!
-.. .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- .- -. --.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 25-29 Apr 2011 (1911-1915)  (Read 107453 times)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT 25-29 Apr 2011 (1911-1915)
« Reply #350 on: 29 Apr 2011, 19:23 »

Tai continues to make advances on Dora after those advances contributed to the failure of her last relationship.

Uh... how?!  When did Tai even make an advance on Dora that wasn't an obvious joke before the breakup?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #351 on: 29 Apr 2011, 20:08 »

1595 and 1596 make it plausible that Tai's advances were in the vein of "many a true word is spoken in jest".

How would we have reacted if a straight man had tried to pull Faye's shirt off? Is that different from Tai doing it? If so, how and why?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #352 on: 29 Apr 2011, 20:24 »

How would we have reacted if a straight man had tried to pull Faye's shirt off? Is that different from Tai doing it? If so, how and why?

I believe the term would be "sexual harassment" or "sexual assault."

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #353 on: 29 Apr 2011, 21:19 »

1595 and 1596 make it plausible that Tai's advances were in the vein of "many a true word is spoken in jest".

To see that, simply look at the people who strongly dislike Angus because they view him as a pushy stalker who wouldn't take 'no' for an answer from Faye.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #354 on: 29 Apr 2011, 21:47 »

Tai did more than take her top off; she also tried to take Faye's top off. I find that to be a troubling example of a sex-obsessed lesbian. Whether Jeph intended to make her a stereotype or not, or being unwilling to see the connection between Tai's example and a host of common characterizations of gays and lesbians in the media, doesn't change the fact that she is. Alone, she would be a harmless character. In a greater media context, she serves as a further entrenchment of lesbian stereotypes. I don't think that this is what Jeph intended, personally, but it is there, irrespective of intention.

But you see, to me, that's as big a problem in society as the alternative.  By that logic, how is it even possible to portray a homosexual character as a sexual entity at all without confirming to the offensive stereotype?  And if your intention is to portray the character in a completely non-sexual light who forms no physical or romantic relationships, by what measure is that character then homosexual in the first place?  Because if media simply refused to acknowledge the existence of homosexuals in the first place, that's even worse in my mind than a horndog stereotype.
This is not a joke about Tai being gay.  Imagine that instead of Tai, Faye and Dora, it was Raven, Marten and Steve, respectively!  The exact same joke could play out, in the exact same manner, without a hitch.  Hell, considering that Steve's in a relationship and Marten is recently broken-up, it'd be just as inappropriate!  And since all three are firmly heterosexual, it'd be even more sexually charged as a comic.  Or maybe you'd prefer to take it in the other direction: assume that this is the first time you have ever seen a QC strip.  You have no knowledge about any of these characters, and therefore do not know anything about their sexuality.  The joke still works simply for what it is, with gay or straight undertones being utterly irrelevant, because it is a joke about Tai having few boundaries on the subject of nudity and finding such things amusing, while Faye clearly does not.
To take this joke and then to insert the subject of lesbian stereotyping is not merely to misunderstand the joke, it's to actively search for a reason to be offended by it.  And you even acknowledge that aside from one or two of these examples, Tai is shown as a headstrong, intelligent, independent young woman who knows what she wants in life.  The fact that she's uninhibited is a facet of her personality.  Taking that facet, twisting it into a comparison with negative portrayals of homosexuals in other media, and then claiming that because the comparison can be made, it's offensive... it just bewilders me.  The logic seems similar to how Jack Thompson claimed that school shootings were a direct result of kids playing Grand Theft Auto games.

Tai's a quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving character who coincidentally happens to be a lesbian.  Now, we could all declare that portraying her as a sexual entity is serious business and so we shall make no jokes, harrumph!  But where would that get us?  It's literally choosing to become offended over something that was never even remotely intended to be so, and can only be vaguely connected to anything that is.  And perhaps it could have been done more respectfully, but this was done to be true to the character and for the sake of a harmless joke, compared with several other perfectly respectful discussions of the same topic.  And if this one, single, throwaway joke offended you that badly that you can't get past it... well, I just don't know how to help you get over that hurdle when for me, the hurdle doesn't even exist.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #355 on: 29 Apr 2011, 22:52 »

Tai did more than take her top off; she also tried to take Faye's top off. I find that to be a troubling example of a sex-obsessed lesbian. Whether Jeph intended to make her a stereotype or not, or being unwilling to see the connection between Tai's example and a host of common characterizations of gays and lesbians in the media, doesn't change the fact that she is. Alone, she would be a harmless character. In a greater media context, she serves as a further entrenchment of lesbian stereotypes. I don't think that this is what Jeph intended, personally, but it is there, irrespective of intention.

But you see, to me, that's as big a problem in society as the alternative.  By that logic, how is it even possible to portray a homosexual character as a sexual entity at all without confirming to the offensive stereotype?  And if your intention is to portray the character in a completely non-sexual light who forms no physical or romantic relationships, by what measure is that character then homosexual in the first place?  Because if media simply refused to acknowledge the existence of homosexuals in the first place, that's even worse in my mind than a horndog stereotype.

Going to give this section an "exactly". We should all know by now that no "perfect" characters are going to appear, so clutching at flaws as a sign of stereotypes seems more indicative of which stereotypes we assign to groups ourselves, rather than Jeph has.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #356 on: 29 Apr 2011, 23:26 »

It's actually quite telling that you can't imagine a portrayal of a gay or lesbian character that doesn't resort to stereotypes, and further proves that ideas about gays and lesbians and what they can, may, and must be are so strongly influenced by their treatment in the media.

This is not a joke about Tai being gay.  Imagine that instead of Tai, Faye and Dora, it was Raven, Marten and Steve, respectively!  The exact same joke could play out, in the exact same manner, without a hitch.  Hell, considering that Steve's in a relationship and Marten is recently broken-up, it'd be just as inappropriate!  And since all three are firmly heterosexual, it'd be even more sexually charged as a comic.  Or maybe you'd prefer to take it in the other direction: assume that this is the first time you have ever seen a QC strip.  You have no knowledge about any of these characters, and therefore do not know anything about their sexuality.  The joke still works simply for what it is, with gay or straight undertones being utterly irrelevant, because it is a joke about Tai having few boundaries on the subject of nudity and finding such things amusing, while Faye clearly does not.
As I've said, the fact that the joke is about Tai's personality does not mean the comic does not participate in stereotyping.

To take this joke and then to insert the subject of lesbian stereotyping is not merely to misunderstand the joke, it's to actively search for a reason to be offended by it.  And you even acknowledge that aside from one or two of these examples, Tai is shown as a headstrong, intelligent, independent young woman who knows what she wants in life.  The fact that she's uninhibited is a facet of her personality.  Taking that facet, twisting it into a comparison with negative portrayals of homosexuals in other media, and then claiming that because the comparison can be made, it's offensive... it just bewilders me.  The logic seems similar to how Jack Thompson claimed that school shootings were a direct result of kids playing Grand Theft Auto games.
When did I ascribe those qualities to Tai? Tai is probably the worst-written of all the QC characters, in my opinion, because Jeph consistently treats her like a caricature. Further, you're at least the third person to suggest that I'm actively looking for reasons to be offended, which is untrue. I'm not sure how I could prove to you that it's untrue, except to say that it is. Jeph's comic did not offend me, it disappointed me, because of his use of a negative stereotype to make a joke.

Tai's a quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving character who coincidentally happens to be a lesbian.  Now, we could all declare that portraying her as a sexual entity is serious business and so we shall make no jokes, harrumph!  But where would that get us?  It's literally choosing to become offended over something that was never even remotely intended to be so, and can only be vaguely connected to anything that is.  And perhaps it could have been done more respectfully, but this was done to be true to the character and for the sake of a harmless joke, compared with several other perfectly respectful discussions of the same topic.  And if this one, single, throwaway joke offended you that badly that you can't get past it... well, I just don't know how to help you get over that hurdle when for me, the hurdle doesn't even exist.
Being "true to the character" misses the forest for the trees. Think about what it says that in order to be true to the character, Tai is always shown hypersexualized. Seriously, think about that. That is where the problem is: the fact that Jeph has written a quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving lesbian cliche. If you can't see how that participates in a greater problem endemic in the media, then the hurdle truly doesn't exist for you, I agree.

Going to give this section an "exactly". We should all know by now that no "perfect" characters are going to appear, so clutching at flaws as a sign of stereotypes seems more indicative of which stereotypes we assign to groups ourselves, rather than Jeph has.
The fact that there are no "perfect" characters does not in any way excuse the use of harmful stereotypes, and it's silly to suggest so.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #357 on: 29 Apr 2011, 23:29 »

Well, last week Jeph had another person, Clinton, behave in an even more stereotypical manner. We didn't see too many people getting offended by how QC reinforces the stereotypical image of nerds splashed all over the media, did we? In fact quite the opposite.
I really hoped Clinton was a vehicle for every creepy and annoying Hanners fan and really hoped he'd be unceremoniously shamed or hurt, but if he gets redemption I will conclude that Jeph actually enjoys people obsessing over Hannelore.

Comparing Tai to Clinton is, of course, not quite appropriate. As readers it is easier for us to let Tai's shenanigans slide, because we know so much more about her, more or less expect something like this from her every now and then, but also know of her other qualities. In other words: for us Tai is a character, but Clinton is a caricature.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #358 on: 29 Apr 2011, 23:37 »

It's actually quite telling that you can't imagine a portrayal of a gay or lesbian character that doesn't resort to stereotypes,

If you meet a real-life lesbian who happens to match a number of features that you view as indicators of stereotyping (which in the Jezebel page, which I found a way to get to, includes "having a cat" and "wearing trousers"), do you suggest to them that they should change their behaviour or personality because they are reinforcing harmful stereotypes?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #359 on: 29 Apr 2011, 23:42 »

If you meet a real-life lesbian who happens to match a number of features that you view as indicators of stereotyping (which in the Jezebel page, which I found a way to get to, includes "having a cat" and "wearing trousers"), do you suggest to them that they should change their behaviour or personality because they are reinforcing harmful stereotypes?
No. Can you guess why? (Hint: it has to do with media saturation rather than dealing with people on an individual level.)

C'mon, was that question serious? It's like you're trying to set a logic trap so you can show an inconsistency and disregard my critique rather than engaging it.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #360 on: 29 Apr 2011, 23:54 »

Well, last week Jeph had another person, Clinton, behave in an even more stereotypical manner. We didn't see too many people getting offended by how QC reinforces the stereotypical image of nerds splashed all over the media, did we? In fact quite the opposite.
I really hoped Clinton was a vehicle for every creepy and annoying Hanners fan and really hoped he'd be unceremoniously shamed or hurt, but if he gets redemption I will conclude that Jeph actually enjoys people obsessing over Hannelore.

Comparing Tai to Clinton is, of course, not quite appropriate. As readers it is easier for us to let Tai's shenanigans slide, because we know so much more about her, more or less expect something like this from her every now and then, but also know of her other qualities. In other words: for us Tai is a character, but Clinton is a caricature.

Two sides on this.

1) Technically true, however nerds aren't a hated group in the way that gays are, I haven't seen an organized nerd bash outside of a high school nor do I hear people consistently saying that nerds will burn in hell for their book learnin' ways.  It is also worth noting that Clintons first action could be written off as awkwardness/foolishness/non-creepiness but in his second appearance he took her picture before she could give permission or deny it, and while his reaction could be understandable his behavior seems less stereotypical nerd and more creepy. It could also be pointed out that Tai has a tendency to ignore the boundaries of others and while she might be 'playful' in doing it were her character male it would get probably make people think the guy is kinda skeevy. A lot of Tais stuff could just be in jest, like when she told Dora that Marten was cheating on her after finding out that would pretty much be the only way to get Dora to have a relationship with her, she also talks frequently about her own sexual exploits but gets really angry when Marten makes any comments about his, especially when he started it. But it does kind of make Tai a negative character and it could be seen as a negative view on lesbians or pandering to stereotypes. I think it's also fair to point out that Tai has groped Faye before and if memory serves Faye wasn't thrilled then either, and in some ways Tai being a long standing member of the group who would probably know that Faye would not like this, makes it worse, not better.

Conversely

2) I never saw Tai's behavior as being a lesbian stereotype, I saw her as being a hypersexualized person who also happened to be wired to want to pursue relationships, physical and emotional, with women. Tai as a character is not a favorite of mine, as mentioned before she has a lot of negative traits, while I enjoy the stuff where she banters with Marten and some of her interactions are pretty cool she also can be rather unlikeable. I should also point out that to a certain extent stereotypes are going to be inevitable, not that you can't write without them but if you want to create people you will have them fulfill certain tropes or concepts. I see Tai more in the tropes of the college student experimenting with whatever she can before it's time to really enter the real world (see the LSD strip and the like), and she's also a lesbian. There is also the fact that people all have positive and negative traits, that's what makes them human, and since QC is more a humor comic than a drama one and humor does require a bit of conflict here and there negative traits will be used to humorous effect.

Tai wasn't inherently hypersexualized when she talked with Marten, we did get the idea that she enjoyed sex and eventually was in a poly relationship, however we also had little contact with her since she wasn't a major part of the groups social circle, given that they went to bars and drank a fair amount as well one might as well say that the entirety of the QC cast are alcoholics. Tai's actions here are a result of a combination of impulse control issues, lack of boundaries, etc. I don't see them as lesbian issues, I do see them making Tai behave in a manner that I find rather creepy. I think comparing to Clinton is apt in some ways, but yeah, the behaviors are a bit different and Tai is an established character so her actions get a bit more leeway in that context.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Tergon

« Reply #361 on: 30 Apr 2011, 00:03 »

It's actually quite telling that you can't imagine a portrayal of a gay or lesbian character that doesn't resort to stereotypes, and further proves that ideas about gays and lesbians and what they can, may, and must be are so strongly influenced by their treatment in the media.
Nonono, that's precisely my point - I can.  Easily.  I've seen several in various media, I've got the people I know in my own life, there are even the other gay or bisexual characters we've seen in QC.  What I'm saying is that simply because someone likes sex it doesn't mean that they're necessarily part of some negative archetype.  There does not need to be a connection between gay and promiscuous unless we intentionally draw one.

As I've said, the fact that the joke is about Tai's personality does not mean the comic does not participate in stereotyping.
And I've never denied that Tai confirms to the stereotype.  I simply fail to see how it's either negative, or really relevant.

When did I ascribe those qualities to Tai? Tai is probably the worst-written of all the QC characters, in my opinion, because Jeph consistently treats her like a caricature. Further, you're at least the third person to suggest that I'm actively looking for reasons to be offended, which is untrue. I'm not sure how I could prove to you that it's untrue, except to say that it is. Jeph's comic did not offend me, it disappointed me, because of his use of a negative stereotype to make a joke.
Apologies... I'm putting words in your mouth.  Those are the qualities that I attribute to her, and have been working with for the discussion.  But I stand by them - she's clearly intelligent, she's confident and outgoing most of the time, she's Marten's boss despite being much younger than him.  Besides the fact that she's promiscuous, she's actually a pretty awesome person, right down to being totally open and unashamed about her sexuality.  I see nothing negative there.  And you yourself noted above that this is a joke about Tai's personality, not a joke about a negative stereotype.  That's something you're adding in to the joke.

Being "true to the character" misses the forest for the trees. Think about what it says that in order to be true to the character, Tai is always shown hypersexualized. Seriously, think about that. That is where the problem is: the fact that Jeph has written a quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving lesbian cliche. If you can't see how that participates in a greater problem endemic in the media, then the hurdle truly doesn't exist for you, I agree.
And it'd be, what, less offensive if she were straight?  Or perhaps if she were a lesbian but was morbidly ashamed of that fact and tried to hide in the closet?  Instead Tai's open about her sexuality.  Yes, she's hypersexualised, but then so was Raven, and she wasn't a lesbian.  Hell, even Steve has been canonically portrayed as a bit of a ladies' man with several relationships over the course of QC, many of whom involved girls much younger than him.  Did it offend you when he got into a relationship with an impressionable girl who wasn't even of the age of consent, or when he picked up Cosette who was clearly becoming slightly obsessed with him at the time when they finally met in person?  Many, many potentially-controversial issues have been brought up over the course of QC.  This one, which you acknowledge was not done with malevolent intent even if it may be considered offensive, is so minor in comparison.

I think what gets me so into this discussion is that I do actually see your viewpoint.  I get it.  And I can think of many examples in culture of offensive or stereotypical portrayals of gay and lesbian people, even subtle ones like you describe.  But I just can't see it here, in this comic, relevant to this conversation.  No matter how hard I try, I cannot see Tai taking off her shirt as being a degrading stereotype of slutty lesbians that is offensive to society.  It's a joke in an internet webcomic.  Worlds do not turn on these cogs.  And even if they did, I just can't see it being as negative as you say.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2011, 10:09 by Tergon »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #362 on: 30 Apr 2011, 00:08 »

It's like you're trying to set a logic trap so you can show an inconsistency and disregard my critique rather than engaging it.

No, I am trying to think around the subject, rather than getting stuck on one view of it; I often play devil's advocate, or throw out ideas to try them for size.  In this case, I was exploring the boundaries of your viewpoint.

I now find my thoughts turning to a discussion that has arisen a couple of times in another part of this forum, about authorial intention.  The consensus (which I don't entirely agree with, but which is fashionable) seems to be that the author has no special claim for consideration in the interpretation of their work.  A corollary of this would seem to be that they have no responsibility for how it it is interpreted or used either.  This line of thought leads me to suggest that attacking (OK, too harsh a word, as you've said) a comic strip for stereotyping is going for the wrong target - you should be addressing those who use or respond to the stereotype (inappropriately, that is, as we've said before).  Perhaps too much such mistargetting is a symptom of the over-zealous application of political correctness.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Armadillo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #363 on: 30 Apr 2011, 00:11 »

Tai's a quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving character who coincidentally happens to be a lesbian.  Now, we could all declare that portraying her as a sexual entity is serious business and so we shall make no jokes, harrumph!  But where would that get us?  It's literally choosing to become offended over something that was never even remotely intended to be so, and can only be vaguely connected to anything that is.  And perhaps it could have been done more respectfully, but this was done to be true to the character and for the sake of a harmless joke, compared with several other perfectly respectful discussions of the same topic.  And if this one, single, throwaway joke offended you that badly that you can't get past it... well, I just don't know how to help you get over that hurdle when for me, the hurdle doesn't even exist.

I can only speak for myself, but when I saw the strip today, the last thing in my brain was, "AHA!  Tai's a stereotypical sex-crazed lesbian!"  Besides the awesome boob-blocking cat, I took away that Tai entered the Awkward Zone in a BIG way, which as a 100% heterosexual male, I can relate to from instances in my single days when I was around someone I REALLY wanted to sleep with.  Gays and lesbians have sex drives, at least as I'm lead to believe, so why wouldn't you write situations where people with sex drives get goofy around those they're attracted to?  Also, let's not discount the fact that Dora's not arrow-straight herself, and I believe Tai's knowledge of that fact has led us here.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2011, 00:12 by Armadillo »

Tergon

« Reply #364 on: 30 Apr 2011, 00:45 »

I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but let me see if I can put this in perspective with an example.

Suppose I'm the director of a B-Horror movie.  Real corny slasher-thriller stuff, lots of gore.  And when it comes casting day, I've been very specific and clear to everyone, including the people trying out for the roles:  I want the biggest, strongest, meanest-looking, juggernaut of a guy to be my killer.  Someone who when you saw him walking down the street, you'd get out of his way because he's so big and scary-looking.  Of course, I also want this guy to be an excellent actor.  And, suitably, during tryouts one guy stands out - he has excellent diction, he's intelligent, he's been well-trained and he's been in several smaller roles before.  He's also by far the biggest, strongest, meanest-looking juggernaut of a guy within five hundred miles.  He knows it, I know it, everyone knows it, and there is absolutely no question that he's the best guy for the role.
But, surprise!  He's black.
Now, if I cast this man, I'm furthering the black-people-are-criminals stereotype, which I think we can all agree is awful.  But if I don't, then absolutely everyone knows the truth:  I'm turning down the best man for the job based entirely on his race.  And you know what?  Besides being illegal, and besides being a worse choice for my movie, I think door number two here is a far, far worse option, ethically speaking.  Now, I don't care about the racial issue of casting him.  And he clearly doesn't, or he wouldn't be there.  But because some asshole somewhere is going to call me racist no matter what I do, I have to make a devil's choice because of what's politically correct.

That's the kind of issue I draw here.  We all seem to agree that the joke was specifically about Tai's lack of boundaries and not about her sexuality.  And we also seem to agree that based on how her character has been designed, her pulling a stunt like this is in-character.  But we get hung up on the issue of her being a lesbian stereotype because... why?  What possible reason is there to bring this up?  Well, because the stereotype exists and no matter how hard we try, we can't get away from it.  Just like a black man being a horror movie murderer.  The connection exists because we choose to make a big deal out if it, and for no other reason at all.

Hell, let's pull out all the stops and throw up this for a suggestion:  Jeph made Tai the way she is, intentionally aware that he was confirming to the stereotype.  Has he made Tai a hairy, flannel-wearing trucker lesbian?  Nope.  Has he repeatedly shown her in gratuitous cheesecake shots?  Nope.  Does she have AIDS or some other STD?  Nope.  Does she commit crimes or lead children into temptation?  Nope.  She's smart, she's feminine without looking like a porn star, she's sassy, she's cheerful and outgoing, she's extremely well-employed for a student of her age, and she happens to be promiscuous.
I submit to you that if Tai is to be held up to the stereotype of the horndog homosexual, then she should be considered a deconstruction of the trope considering how successful and normal she is beyond that.

And that's why I have trouble accepting this as negative.  I refuse to simply see Tai's portrayal as negative just because Political Correctness says I should, and so I have to look at the character herself.  In doing this, I see nothing that I consider offensive that really holds up to any kind of scrutiny.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2011, 00:47 by Tergon »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #365 on: 30 Apr 2011, 00:55 »

What's wrong with being promiscuous?

Whether you're gay, straight, bi, transexual, transgendered, male, female, black, white, hispanic or Martian, why is seen as a bad thing to be open about your sexual desires?

Tai has never been shown to act an any way irresponsible or dishonest with any of her friends or partners, so why is she catching shit for having an active sex life?

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #366 on: 30 Apr 2011, 00:56 »

LoveJaneAusten, you should ask Jeph via Tumblr why he's chosen to write Tai the way he has; the answer you get might be illuminating.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #367 on: 30 Apr 2011, 01:00 »

why is she catching shit for having an active sex life?

Prudery, religion, maturity, societal norms - take your pick according to where you stand.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #368 on: 30 Apr 2011, 01:55 »

Indeed.  My objection to these (from outside the world of literary criticism, I admit) is not that I believe that the author can tell the whole truth about their work, but that taking the opposite position as an absolute is identically flawed.

Dust

« Reply #369 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:14 »

The fact that there are no "perfect" characters does not in any way excuse the use of harmful stereotypes, and it's silly to suggest so.

I could have been clearer, I meant stereotypes are only persistant when people are conscious of them. Whether using them or arguing against. I've only known (for certain) two lesbians, and they are pretty much polar opposites, so I guess I don't have any expectations for lesbians as a "whole". Well, apart from the defining trait.

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #370 on: 30 Apr 2011, 03:07 »

I need to read that book.

Meant to several years ago but somehow never got around to it. :|
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

SJCrew

« Reply #371 on: 30 Apr 2011, 05:41 »

In my comic, I'm going to make a homosexual serial killer the main character. I hope that doesn't offend any gay males who do not personally subscribe to the act of shanking.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #372 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:09 »

Imagine if you will that Tai was a heterosexual male rather than a homosexual woman. Their sexual interest is obviously the same (exclusively women). Now, imagine that heterosexual male Tai was forcefully trying to remove Faye's shirt after removing his own.
Hate, rain on me

BlueMark

• Plantmonster
« Reply #373 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:51 »

Imagine if you will that Tai was a heterosexual male rather than a homosexual woman. Their sexual interest is obviously the same (exclusively women). Now, imagine that heterosexual male Tai was forcefully trying to remove Faye's shirt after removing his own.

Good idea ... now imagine it was Steve who reacted to Dora removing her sweaty shirt by removing his own, and then playfully pretended to help Faye do the same.

What is the "media stereotype" of lesbians?  I dunno, seems so multifaceted that I can't identify a single stereotype. Let's see, the most prominent lesbians in my media bubble are Melissa Etheridge, Rachel Maddow, Ellen DeGeneres and Stephanie Miller, so I guess the stereotype is talented, funny, good-looking, progressive and the smartest person in the room.  OK, there are negative stereotypes out there too, but people are too various and the stereotypes are too numerous to expect every character to somehow avoid every possible stereotype.

Let Tai be Tai.

This is going to be interesting.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #374 on: 30 Apr 2011, 08:10 »

You mean like Sven (prior to having sex with Faye) and the way he acted with the ladies was very slutty one night stands? Sven's behaviour clearly enforced the negative stereotype that some women have that all men are ultimately only interested in sex and not at all interested in long term relationships etc. Since these sort of 'players' do exist in real life, I must protest at Sven's previous actions which implies that all hetrosexual men are in some way sex crazed and are portraying us more sexually controlled males in a bad, negative light....

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #375 on: 30 Apr 2011, 09:11 »

Well, as long as we're talking about what offends us personally ... Reviewing/evaluating/rating a work's merits based on whether it agrees with one's politics.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #376 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:20 »

Tai (if she is a sterotype of anything) is a stereotype of college students. She just happens to be gay.

How is being a highly sexual, free-spirited, fun-loving person at all negative? I honestly do not understand how Tai is being portrayed negatively. Is she shown as not conforming to the (in my opinion) Puritanical social norm? Most definitely, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing. Is your problem that we, as non-straights, should seek to fit into the narrow definition of what is acceptable pushed so heavily by the mainstream culture?  I for one have no interest in that and do not feel I, or anyone else, should have to fit into the hetero-normative mold.  How do you think we SHOULD be portrayed in the media? What would be your mythical perfectly representative character for us?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #377 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:38 »

I figured out finally why we react differently to Tai than we would to a straight man trying to pull off Faye's shirt. Tai is small and slightly built enough that she won't come across to most people as a physical threat. Also, arguably stereotyping, but men do commit the majority of violent crime so Faye's security reflexes might not be on the hyper alert they were for Marten, which would explain why Faye reacted differently.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #378 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:50 »

...There does not need to be a connection between gay and promiscuous unless we intentionally draw one...

I know, it's not right to take a long well worded argument and pick on a point, but I had to pick on this one. 

The line was drawn over a century ago for us, it's a stereotype that was not only ingrained into our psyches but made its way into many laws still on the books in various places.  And it's because of this connection that the stereotype is seen by the LGBTQ community as a dangerous one. 

Now, are we intelligent enough to know better?  Well, I can't speak for everyone on his board, and certainly not for all the readers of Jeph's work, but I'd like to think so. 

This does not make it true.  Nor does it make the stereotype any less dangerous. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #379 on: 30 Apr 2011, 12:19 »

Nonono, that's precisely my point - I can.  Easily.  I've seen several in various media, I've got the people I know in my own life, there are even the other gay or bisexual characters we've seen in QC.  What I'm saying is that simply because someone likes sex it doesn't mean that they're necessarily part of some negative archetype.  There does not need to be a connection between gay and promiscuous unless we intentionally draw one.
See, again you are misrepresenting or misunderstanding my point. I am not saying “simply because someone likes sex” they are a stereotype. I am saying “there is a stereotype of lesbians and gays portrayed as sex-obsessed and Tai’s example in this comic fulfills that stereotype”.

And I've never denied that Tai confirms to the stereotype.  I simply fail to see how it's either negative, or really relevant.
I can’t help it if you don’t see why and how that stereotype is negative. I can only encourage you to read more about how media has characterized gays and lesbians, and how for generations they’ve been shown as deviant, and attacked and strawmanned as freaks. Only in very recent times have positive gay and lesbian characters been part of a mass media consciousness, and even then they often fall into stereotypes.

Apologies... I'm putting words in your mouth.  Those are the qualities that I attribute to her, and have been working with for the discussion.  But I stand by them - she's clearly intelligent, she's confident and outgoing most of the time, she's Marten's boss despite being much younger than him.  Besides the fact that she's promiscuous, she's actually a pretty awesome person, right down to being totally open and unashamed about her sexuality.  I see nothing negative there.  And you yourself noted above that this is a joke about Tai's personality, not a joke about a negative stereotype.  That's something you're adding in to the joke.
It’s amazing that I’ve had to explain at least three times now that simply because a joke is about Tai’s personality, it doesn’t mean it also doesn’t make use of stereotypes.

And it'd be, what, less offensive if she were straight?
Yes! If Tai were straight in this comic, then it would not be stereotyping lesbians (which it is).

Or perhaps if she were a lesbian but was morbidly ashamed of that fact and tried to hide in the closet?  Instead Tai's open about her sexuality.  Yes, she's hypersexualised, but then so was Raven, and she wasn't a lesbian.  Hell, even Steve has been canonically portrayed as a bit of a ladies' man with several relationships over the course of QC, many of whom involved girls much younger than him.  Did it offend you when he got into a relationship with an impressionable girl who wasn't even of the age of consent, or when he picked up Cosette who was clearly becoming slightly obsessed with him at the time when they finally met in person?  Many, many potentially-controversial issues have been brought up over the course of QC.  This one, which you acknowledge was not done with malevolent intent even if it may be considered offensive, is so minor in comparison.
You’re asking me about other plotlines that occurred before I began to follow QC, so I’m afraid I can’t answer them. My suspicious is that Jeph has probably made use of stereotypes many times, likely unconsciously. But since I wasn’t reading QC at those times, it’s not very fair to ask me where my critiques were then, is it?

I think what gets me so into this discussion is that I do actually see your viewpoint.  I get it.  And I can think of many examples in culture of offensive or stereotypical portrayals of gay and lesbian people, even subtle ones like you describe.  But I just can't see it here, in this comic, relevant to this conversation.  No matter how hard I try, I cannot see Tai taking off her shirt as being a degrading stereotype of slutty lesbians that is offensive to society.  It's a joke in an internet webcomic.  Worlds do not turn on these cogs.  And even if they did, I just can't see it being as negative as you say.
You’re so close to a better understanding. Closer than most people in this thread. I really think all you have to do is read more about how media stereotypes have affected gays and lesbians and actually look at it from the minority perspective, and you’ll get there. However, saying “it’s just an internet comic” is a pretty obvious shut-down, unless you think that somehow internet comics take place in a vacuum, are not connected to any sort of context, and somehow exist without influence of cultural and societal values. That’s a hard case to make, I think.

No, I am trying to think around the subject, rather than getting stuck on one view of it; I often play devil's advocate, or throw out ideas to try them for size.  In this case, I was exploring the boundaries of your viewpoint.
What’s interesting about this is that devil’s advocate is supposed to get someone to think through their argument and look for holes in it. The implication is that the person hasn’t thought through their assertions. I find in these discussions that people with privilege (straight privilege, white privilege in discussions of race, etc.) often play devil’s advocate, when in reality the people making assertions have thought through their arguments usually much more than the devil’s advocate. Yes, I know how to deal with real-life lesbians (trust me on this). The better question is have you thought through your assertions?

I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but let me see if I can put this in perspective with an example.
 ... But because some asshole somewhere is going to call me racist no matter what I do, I have to make a devil's choice because of what's politically correct.
None of this is about political correctness, which is a term the privileged levy at those without when their privilege is pointed out to them, usually via language. In your example, you absolutely would be participating in the stereotyping of how black men are portrayed in media; you admit as much. But it’s interesting that your “devil’s choice” precludes writing a better movie that doesn’t further negative stereotypes. Why is that?

I submit to you that if Tai is to be held up to the stereotype of the horndog homosexual, then she should be considered a deconstruction of the trope considering how successful and normal she is beyond that.

And that's why I have trouble accepting this as negative.  I refuse to simply see Tai's portrayal as negative just because Political Correctness says I should, and so I have to look at the character herself.  In doing this, I see nothing that I consider offensive that really holds up to any kind of scrutiny.
For Tai to be a deconstruction of the stereotypes she exhibits, she’d have to parody them. Do you think Tai’s function is parodic? You’re very generous in your readings, then, because Tai’s actions are both in line with her character (hypersexualized, uninhibited, etc) but they really don’t get called into question or critiqued, do they? Now, if you can show they do, then I will concede this point, but so far her actions are caricatures and nothing more. (Jeph started to complicate her character – and thus set up a deconstruction of her personality – with her butterflies upon seeing Dora, but chose to get her topless and horny instead.)

What's wrong with being promiscuous?

Whether you're gay, straight, bi, transexual, transgendered, male, female, black, white, hispanic or Martian, why is seen as a bad thing to be open about your sexual desires?

Tai has never been shown to act an any way irresponsible or dishonest with any of her friends or partners, so why is she catching shit for having an active sex life?
There is nothing wrong with being promiscuous; there is something wrong with the common stereotype of lesbians and gays as promiscuous in media. You ought to go back and see how my assertion is a little more complex than giving Tai shit for having an active sex life.

LoveJaneAusten, you should ask Jeph via Tumblr why he's chosen to write Tai the way he has; the answer you get might be illuminating.
That's a good idea!

I could have been clearer, I meant stereotypes are only persistant when people are conscious of them. Whether using them or arguing against. I've only known (for certain) two lesbians, and they are pretty much polar opposites, so I guess I don't have any expectations for lesbians as a "whole". Well, apart from the defining trait.
That’s wrong, though. Stereotypes persist regardless of whether or not you’re conscious of them; in fact, that they are often subtle and unrecognized is one of their prime dangers. Just look at pwhodges; he was unaware of the “lesbians recruiting straight women” stereotype until this thread. And yet the stereotype existed before that.

What is the "media stereotype" of lesbians?  I dunno, seems so multifaceted that I can't identify a single stereotype. Let's see, the most prominent lesbians in my media bubble are Melissa Etheridge, Rachel Maddow, Ellen DeGeneres and Stephanie Miller, so I guess the stereotype is talented, funny, good-looking, progressive and the smartest person in the room.  OK, there are negative stereotypes out there too, but people are too various and the stereotypes are too numerous to expect every character to somehow avoid every possible stereotype.
There are many and they are definitely multifaceted and I encourage you to read and learn more about them! If you have already decided to not expect non-stereotyped characters in your media, then you are setting your standards low.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #380 on: 30 Apr 2011, 13:10 »

The idea that because a stereotype exists, no character in fiction can be that way EVEN WHEN PEOPLE LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE EXIST and EVEN WHEN THE WORK HAS SHOWN OTHERS OF THAT GROUP NOT FITTING THE STEREOTYPE is absurd.

That's like saying I can't use my friend Israel as a inspiration for a gay man in something I write, just because he happens to match the very effeminate stereotype of a gay man wearing a boa and short shorts. People like this exist. Therefore, characters like this should be allowed in fiction AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT USED IN A DEMEANING WAY.

Tai is not being used in a demeaning way. Stop acting like its awful for a character who is entirely believable to exist solely because they manage to match a stereotype.

EDIT: I use caps for emphasis, not intended for yelling... I can see how it would be read that way so I thought I would add a note down here >_>
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2011, 13:13 by Emperor Norton »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #381 on: 30 Apr 2011, 14:05 »

What’s interesting about this is that devil’s advocate is supposed to get someone to think through their argument and look for holes in it. The implication is that the person hasn’t thought through their assertions.

Yes, I get myself  to think through an argument and look for holes in it!  Or others kindly point the holes out for me...

nash076

« Reply #382 on: 30 Apr 2011, 15:07 »

I figure there are good intentions here, but it's a matter of "know your audience."

Folks on a forum for a webcomic aren't here to be informed how very *wrong* they are.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #383 on: 30 Apr 2011, 16:02 »

If this keeps going around in anymore circles we might be able to offer Formula 1 a new circuit.

This "discussion" just keeps going around and around and around and around and around and around and someone look out coz you're about to see my lunch!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #384 on: 30 Apr 2011, 16:43 »

More like NASCAR or Indy TheEvilDog.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #385 on: 30 Apr 2011, 16:53 »

'Eh, just call me Evil, less of a mouthful.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #386 on: 30 Apr 2011, 17:01 »

Better than "Yo Dog" huh?    :D   ;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #387 on: 30 Apr 2011, 18:15 »

Better than "Yo Dog" huh?    :D   ;)
I heard you like evil dogs,  so I put an evil in your dog so you can post while you post.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #388 on: 30 Apr 2011, 18:29 »

On the topic of hangups and revelation; so when Dora flashed Marten, in a public place no less, and Raven took her top off to get Sven's attention, also in a public place, that was what?

And now, Tai, who has a crush and severe impulse control issues, does exactly what her crush just did (classic "I wanna be just like them" behaviour) then remembers they aren't alone and tries to cover her error by taking it too far (which she has done many times before) she's a "stereotypical lesbian horndog?"

This is the viewpoint I agree with in this argument.  Why are people so quick to jump to the conclusion that nudity is about sex?

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #389 on: 30 Apr 2011, 18:42 »

The idea that because a stereotype exists, no character in fiction can be that way EVEN WHEN PEOPLE LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE EXIST and EVEN WHEN THE WORK HAS SHOWN OTHERS OF THAT GROUP NOT FITTING THE STEREOTYPE is absurd.

That's like saying I can't use my friend Israel as a inspiration for a gay man in something I write, just because he happens to match the very effeminate stereotype of a gay man wearing a boa and short shorts. People like this exist. Therefore, characters like this should be allowed in fiction AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT USED IN A DEMEANING WAY.
Agreed. It’s a good thing no one made that argument.

Tai is not being used in a demeaning way. Stop acting like its awful for a character who is entirely believable to exist solely because they manage to match a stereotype.
Actually she is. You may not see it, but stereotypes are demeaning.

Yes, I get myself  to think through an argument and look for holes in it!  Or others kindly point the holes out for me...
I see. I hope I’ve been able to clarify whether you’d tell a lesbian irl to stop doing something!

I figure there are good intentions here, but it's a matter of "know your audience."

Folks on a forum for a webcomic aren't here to be informed how very *wrong* they are.
I’m sure you’re right. On the other hand, I did not know that agreeing with someone pointing out how Tai fulfills lesbian stereotypes would be so controversial!

I confess, I dropped a word from the last sentence I quoted. At face value, would you actually have a problem with that last bit? I hope not! You see, you added "cliché" to the end of the last sentence. This quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving lesbian shares some facets of behavior you see as cliché, and suddenly everything's terrible. Or is being a quirky, uninhibited, fun-loving lesbian a cliché in itself, something that shouldn't be used? This ties in with what E. Norton wrote, so I'll leave it at that.
Well, since E. Norton was wrong, as I stated earlier, I’m happy to leave it at that, too.

Thank you for answering a question I asked. In a nutshell: Tai is hypersexualized and uninhibited character, and you have a problem with this because her actions don't get called into question or critiqued. To save yourself from being contradictory: In your eyes, do all hypersexualized and uninhibited characters have to be called into question, or do only the lesbian characters have to worry about this?
This is a fair question. The answer is no, not everyone who is hypersexualized is necessarily a stereotype and therefore doesn’t have to be analyzed with this lens. However, seeing as there is a common negative stereotype of lesbians and gays in particular as sex-obsessed, it makes sense to pay attention to how they are portrayed.

This is the viewpoint I agree with in this argument.  Why are people so quick to jump to the conclusion that nudity is about sex?
That's a pretty obtuse viewpoint, since it ignores basically all the characterization of Tai so far.

If this keeps going around in anymore circles we might be able to offer Formula 1 a new circuit.

This "discussion" just keeps going around and around and around and around and around and around and someone look out coz you're about to see my lunch!
I agree very much. By now I’ve repeated myself enough for anyone who could or wanted to understand. I think I’ll stop here, seeing as I’ve made my point sufficiently clear. Thanks for the mostly mature discussion, everyone!

Armadillo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #390 on: 30 Apr 2011, 20:14 »

So, to sum up: because people have been treated differently based on various characteristics for decades, the answer is to treat people differently based on various characteristics, JUST THE OTHER WAY. 

I'm not sure how that's supposed to help the cause of equality and harmony, but what do I know?

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #391 on: 30 Apr 2011, 20:24 »

That's a pretty obtuse viewpoint, since it ignores basically all the characterization of Tai so far.

no, it just means Tai is more comfortable with nudity, so it's perfectly in-character.

Tergon

« Reply #392 on: 30 Apr 2011, 20:56 »

Rather than do another quote-wall, I'll simply lay this out straight.

Jane, while I appreciate that you think I'm close to a "higher understanding" - I wasn't personally aware that disagreeing with you meant that I suffered from a worse perspective on the universe, but there it is - I must agree that I'm not quite there.  Perhaps my confusion stems from your own admission that things involving other characters happened before you started reading - implying you've not read QC and thus don't quite understand a lot about Tai, or how the other characters interact with her?  If so I might suggest that you browse the archives.  They're hefty, I admit, but if you like QC then they are worth the time to read.  It would certainly help you explain your viewpoint on the comic if you've read it first.

We agree on so many areas here, though.  We agree that Jeph almost certainly didn't mean to write Tai in a negative stereotype.  We agree that within the context of the QC story, Tai is not seen as a negative character; though she does occasionally make the others feel awkward, she's popular with the main cast.  We even agree that she does adhere in many ways to the Lesbian Horndog stereotype.  And yet this "higher understanding" eludes me still!  But I think I've cottoned onto why.  Since the beginnings of the discussion, you've maintained that Tai being an enthusiastically sexual character is negative.  You've said that this is bad because of the existing stereotype that lesbians are sex-crazed individuals.
Now while I do not agree that Tai falls into the category of sex-crazed, I'll let that pass for the sake of pushing one question that you've avoided.  You've simply hand-waved it by saying that you "can't really explain if I don't get it".  Or that it's a "negative stereotype in society".  But my lack of understanding here is what, I think, holds me back from your higher understanding.  So assume I'm an idiot, assume I'm naive and oblivious, take whatever liberties with my intelligence you need to.  But I'm asking you, please:  Explain why Tai enjoying sex is a negative thing.

Dust

« Reply #393 on: 30 Apr 2011, 23:08 »

That’s wrong, though. Stereotypes persist regardless of whether or not you’re conscious of them; in fact, that they are often subtle and unrecognized is one of their prime dangers. Just look at pwhodges; he was unaware of the “lesbians recruiting straight women” stereotype until this thread. And yet the stereotype existed before that.

She has a tatto, does that bring the old "only criminals have tattoos" stereotype into play? Are the left-handed characters involved in Satan worship, since that was a Medieval stereotype?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #394 on: 30 Apr 2011, 23:36 »

I find Tai completely believable and consistent as a character.

She's a pure lesbian and not into men at all. And she would like to have a relationship with a woman, but she just cant get any. Obviously she's actually very frustrated in that area, even if, thanks to her cheerful character, she doesnt show it much.

Also, she's highly attracted to Faye and her breasts and would absolutely love to see them. Sadly Faye isnt into women at all, so Tai stands no chance in hell to have any success with Faye in this respect.

So when she sees Dora, who is comfortable around women, undressing so carelessly, she's inspired to attempt to undress Faye in a joking way.

Personally I found this move highly amusing and completely understandable, as was Faye's reaction, as Faye knows all this too and doesnt want to follow through.
Carpe Diem

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #395 on: 01 May 2011, 01:56 »

On the topic of hangups and revelation; so when Dora flashed Marten, in a public place no less, and Raven took her top off to get Sven's attention, also in a public place, that was what?

Um, which strip was this?

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #396 on: 01 May 2011, 04:25 »

At the risk of joining one of these discussions...  

I think Jane is informing us in the QC world, that out there in the hardball, high-stakes arenas where social sexual politics are being thrashed out, but which I (and I suspect many of us here) have little or no contact with, that presenting Tai in certain ways CAN BE USED by malignant, reactionary "Moral Guardians" to support their oppressive agendas and harm people.

I agree in theory, we don't generally want to give these misguided, manipulative morons bad people fuel for their fires, and God Forbid some QC image or joke is taken out of context and misused.

But just how conscious, careful and responsible should people like Jeph be in avoiding all possible misinterpretations of his work?  Like many others, I love QC and have massive respect for Jeph's continual creation of a delightful world and characters that touch and entertain us; as well as his overall tolerant, supportive mainstreaming of alternative lifestyles and differently-abled people. I wouldn't want to make that job any harder.

Sadly, sometimes I see the better, more supportive artists receiving more criticism than the evil actors; attacking Faux News seems useless, but 'adjusting' a liberal comic's policies seems more doable.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 10:23 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

WaffleIron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #397 on: 01 May 2011, 07:18 »

Wait, so people are taking issue that some of the content in Jeph's comic is questionable?

Sorry to be blunt, but what the hell did you expect it to be?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #398 on: 01 May 2011, 07:29 »

Wait, so people are taking issue that some of the content in Jeph's comic is questionable?

Sorry to be blunt, but what the hell did you expect it to be?

No, it's that some of the content was insufficiently supportive of one poster's worldview, and therefore had to atone for the sins of all other media.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #399 on: 01 May 2011, 07:46 »

Yeah, that about sums it up.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up