THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tanya vs. Tania  (Read 46534 times)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
Tanya vs. Tania
« on: 09 May 2011, 22:38 »

So hey I was just thinking about this tonight, but I have known a bunch of Tania/yas in my time. There was a time when the ladies I was involved with or interested in where named Sonia then Tanya then Dunja which all kind of sound a little the same (especially because I speak swiftly and drop some consonants sometimes) and my roommate and good friend complained about this being confusing for him (but, like, this is the guy who dated three Michelles and was good friends with another Michelle so whatever). But that is not the point I want to get to tonight!
What I was wondering was, how do Tanyas react to Tanias and vice versa? My friend Tanya hates when people misspell her name as 'Tania' because most of the Tanias she's known are kind of ditzy, while over on the complementary side, my good friend Andrew's girlfriend Tania (who is a friend of mine, now that I think of it!) does not like to be confused for a Tanya because she has had bad experiences with Tanyas! Clearly there are good Tanyas and Tanias, but I was wondering what our favorite Tania thought about Tanyas (or Dunjas or Sonias I guess for that matter) and whether or not anyone had any prejudices towards yas or ias either way?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
Re: Tanya vs. Tania
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2011, 23:21 »

I understand the first rule of Tanyas is they don't talk about Tanias.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2011, 23:25 »

Is Tania even the same as Tanya?  I can't see how you can pronounce them the same way; I want to say it 'Ta-knee-a" for Tania and 'Tan-ya' for Tanya, with both names pronouncing the 'a' as it's long-almost-an-O sound (like in 'gone').
« Last Edit: 09 May 2011, 23:40 by Sorflakne »
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2011, 23:53 »

Clearly there are good Tanyas and Tanias

Hey now, I don't see anyone starting a band called the Be Good Tanias.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2011, 00:13 »

Note that in Australia, no matter how Tania is spelt, it is ALWAYS pronounced 'TAN-yar' and not 'TARN-ee-yar.' Same for Megan, it will be pronounced 'MEE-gan' even if you specify that um, excuse me, it's actually 'MAY-gan.'

Anyway - this is the same as my prejudice between Alison, Allison and Alyson. Obviously Alison is the best and most pure form of the name, even if I do go by Ally (which again is confusing because it should be spelt Ali but when I do that it invariably gets pronounced as Ah-LEE, the boy's name). Then I guess this pronunciation could be confused between Ally (as in friend) and Alley (as in laneway).

It's just a lot easier to go by Lunchy, really.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 00:16 by Lunchbox »

richlitt

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Hub
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2011, 01:41 »

I'm fairly certain that tania and tanya are the same name. One is spelled with a glide, is all. In normal speech, there shouldn't be a pronunciation difference between them - unless I'm wrong?
fungi are fucking punk rock!
I hear they're really big underground.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2011, 03:24 »

even if I do go by Ally (which again is confusing because it should be spelt Ali but when I do that I invariably become a boxing legend).
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2011, 03:38 »

What is a "may gun"?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2011, 04:17 »

My future career in circus awaits me.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2011, 05:05 »

I have the same problems with people spelling my name as Lindsay. Obviously spelling it with an E is the best and only way.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2011, 05:07 »

Note that in Australia, no matter how Tania is spelt, it is ALWAYS pronounced 'TAN-yar' and not 'TARN-ee-yar.' Same for Megan, it will be pronounced 'MEE-gan' even if you specify that um, excuse me, it's actually 'MAY-gan.'

Hunh. So far as I ever hear it, the name Megan/Meghan/Meaghan/Meagan is pronounced MEG-in (except that one girl who actually spelled it Meegan). I have not met a MEG-in who got upset about her name being misspelled, maybe because they're all from the same root and there are several accepted spellings?

I have encountered that misspelling hostility with Sara/Sarah and Brittany/Britney. The Brittanys can be explained by Britney Spears, of course, but I don't know about Sara(h).
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2011, 06:27 »

I've known Sarahs whose name was pronounced without the h, and Saras whose name was pronounced with it. Basically people are going to pronounce their name how they feel, no matter what the spelling is.

I'd have thought that my name would be one of the easiest names ever, considering that it's not just a name but also a month, and a verb, but I still get Mae, Mai, Amy etc...
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2011, 06:41 »

Tommy, I find it quite funny when you do this third-person split-personality thing when talking about your girlfriend Tania, as if she were not the "our favourite Tania" referred to in the OP.

HOWEVER. I chose to pronounce Tania as Tann-ya so I guess it is better if we pretend that we're not talking about the same person.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2011, 06:47 »

My friends pyscho girlfriend is named Tanya, and she pronounces it like the word tan, as if you were going tanning. She is an awful person, so clearly the other way is the best way to pronounce it.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2011, 07:07 »

Fuck it, from now on I'm just going to pronounce the name Tania/Tanya to rhyme with the name Shania.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2011, 07:23 »

How do you pronounce Shania? I mean, I pronounce it Shan-yar but I bet some people say Shar-niar and some people say Shan-iya. Names are serious business (let's not even get started on my brother, who is called Xander).

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2011, 07:23 »

people with accents that are not mine who are writing things that end with R is confusing all the hecks out of me
it's time to stop posting

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2011, 07:36 »

Actually May you raise a good point, maybe her name really was meant to be Shan-ya Twain.

Okay fine this is all too confusing, I'm Australian so from now on you're all Tazza.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2011, 07:44 »

Seconding the R thing. Where in the world do you pull an "r" sound out of S-h-a-n-i-a?
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2011, 08:06 »

I can't even figure out how to say it in two syllables. Shuh-nie-yah.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2011, 08:20 »

Yeah but not everybody knows who I am/who she is. It's a big assumption that everybody who comes to this forum knows all about our little soap operas.

Yeah, this has been such an established fact that you were a couple here that it's never mentioned ever. You mentioned it in a sentence just casually in the photo thread or something a while ago and I had no idea about it before that.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is thanks for making the stuff you write understandable for the forumers who doesn't attend the meetups/doesn't hang out in meebo.

EDIT: the first place I heard the name Tania/Tanya pronounced were in the red alert games, so it always sounds Russian to my inner ear.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2011, 08:36 »

The Rs are because that is the peculiar way they pronounce things where they are from. That pronunciation leads in to one of my favorite jokes, wherein you ask someone 'what do you call a dear that can't see?' and they confusedly reply 'No idea' (no idear).

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2011, 08:38 »

i work for a tanya and we get on pretty well, although it can get really confusing when the shop gets busy and people just start shouting names all over the place at random. they're pronounced slightly differently but it's a little harder to hear from a distance or in a busy shop. we're still trying to work out a better system for this.

personally i don't really care how you pronounce my name but don't think that if you even dare spell it with a "y" instead of an "i" i won't find you and come over and cut you on the face because that is definitely fucking possible
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 08:47 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2011, 08:46 »

Yeah, this has been such an established fact that you were a couple here that it's never mentioned ever. You mentioned it in a sentence just casually in the photo thread or something a while ago and I had no idea about it before that.

to be fair we did keep it on the down low for a while because we decided we didn't want to risk complications from drama/gossip (not to accuse anyone here, it's just always a reasonable risk when you have all the same friends and they're also all on the same internet) and neither of us were really sure how serious it was actually going to end up being for quite a while, what with the fact that it's been a long distance relationship and basically a fucking marathon for pretty much the entire time. now that it's been like a hundred years and one of us is actually moving to another country it seems pretty silly to do anything else other than just be open about it so there you go.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 08:55 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Zingoleb

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2011, 09:27 »

I've known Sarahs whose name was pronounced without the h, and Saras whose name was pronounced with it. Basically people are going to pronounce their name how they feel, no matter what the spelling is.

I'd have thought that my name would be one of the easiest names ever, considering that it's not just a name but also a month, and a verb, but I still get Mae, Mai, Amy etc...

people pronounce the 'h' in Sarah? mind blown

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2011, 09:50 »

I think she means the two different pronunciations of Sara (Sah-ra) and Sarah (Sair-a) indicated by the h, not that the h is actually sounded.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2011, 10:53 »

Yeah sorry tania I'm probably gonna always pronounce yr name TAN-ya because saying it with a long "ah" is weird and sounds kind of pretentious to me

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2011, 11:20 »

Only solution; an all-out war between every Tanya and Tania on Earth

Commence the bloodshed
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2011, 11:21 »

Titania is pronounced "tih-TAH-nyuh", therefore Tania is "TAH-nyuh", both with rounded A sounds. So, like Russian, I guess.

I know a girl named Lara and her boyfriend can't hear the difference between LAH-ruh and LAW-ruh (Laura) and it drives her crazy. He also probably cannot tell the difference between Sara and Sarah.

I always feel like Katy and Catie and Caty and Kadie and Kady and Cady are weird, and like the last two are misspellings of Caddy, but they are different people and not me and so their name is different and it's got nothing to do with me so whatever. I dunno where the Ds came from, but it's a diminuitive of Kate, which is short for Katherine/Catherine/Kathryn/whatever, so the only people who are actually wrong are the people who think it can be short for Catelin/Katelyn/Caitlin.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2011, 11:39 »

My daughter Catherine uses Kit for short. 

And I don't pronounce Titania the same as you either, nor the same as Tania.  Sorry 'n all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2011, 11:51 »

people with accents that are not mine who are writing things that end with R is confusing all the hecks out of me

I'm from Massachusetts and those Aussies confuse me with their Rs where they shouldn't be.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2011, 12:30 »

I never understood why people get so pissed about someone spelling their name wrong. People spell and pronounce my name wrong constantly.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2011, 12:59 »

I worked with a place with three Tatianas one time! One of them went by Tania because there were two Tatianas and then our boss hired a third Tatiana for the team which was basically hilarious because since she was hired to replace the guy who changed to a development team, the QA department was three Tatianas and three co-ops.
They were all Rusian, and the one that went by Tanya gave me a ride home from work one day when we had to go late. I didn't talk with her much regularly because her English was not the best but she was really impressed that I was a photographer, musician, baker, and mathematician. She thought it was really impressive that I could play piano and take nice pictures with my nice old camera, I thought it was pretty normal to be able to do these things. In retrospect, it was kind of ridiculous of me to take for granted that anyone who wants to play piano has a piano and anyone who wants to take photos buys a camera. I mean, she worked hard to get a computer degree in Russia and then moved with her husband to a new country to try and get ahead in life, and here I was, taking my $19/hour job for granted and planning my escape from working on computers to go follow my dreams or something where I've just been offered $11/hour four years later.

In other news, I talk a lot these days. I don't have many good conversations but I'm constantly relating my stories on life and what I feel I've learned. Thinking is hard and it is so much easier much easier to hear a cue for one of my stories and just go into a five minute monologue regardless of what was happening!

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2011, 13:23 »

My name is Ed. I feel so boring.

Zingoleb

« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2011, 13:24 »

That's a terrible name!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2011, 13:30 »

So wait which part of that is your family name and which parts are the middle name?
I think I feel so is a pretty sweet middle name, gives you lots of options to switch things around and make good jokes, but if your family name is so boring that's not quite so useful.

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2011, 14:08 »

So wait which part of that is your family name and which parts are the middle name?
I think I feel so is a pretty sweet middle name, gives you lots of options to switch things around and make good jokes, but if your family name is so boring that's not quite so useful.

It's more the full stop in the middle that gets me - primary school was the worst.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2011, 14:22 »

Either way, Tania's a bitch.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2011, 15:34 »

I have the same problems with people spelling my name as Lindsay. Obviously spelling it with an E is the best and only way.

At least you've got a prayer.  My wife's is spelled Lyndsay.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2011, 16:28 »

Oh lord I think we need to agree on some form of phonetic alphabet up in here. People are trying to spell things how they sound and it is hurting my head  :psyduck:
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #40 on: 10 May 2011, 16:36 »

In Australia, most people have what are known as "non-rhotic" accents (yes, my parents sent me to elocution lessons). The letter R at the end of words is usually silent, so centre = "senta", brighter = "bryta", and the words "panda" and "pander" have the same pronunciation. I would pronounce Tania as "Tan-ya" with "Tan" rhyming with fan, unless the person in question expressed another preference. Disclaimer: I am not a native English-speaker.

Oh lord I think we need to agree on some form of phonetic alphabet up in here. People are trying to spell things how they sound and it is hurting my head  :psyduck:
There is the IPA but that would probably make our heads hurt worse.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #41 on: 10 May 2011, 16:47 »

That is how I pronounce those words too, and I am a native english speaker. We also have broad vowel sounds and some softer consonants in our accents. Brighter would have almost a d sound rather than the harder t. Potato sounds more like Potaydoe. I guess I would pronounce Katie  more like Kaydee, but wouldn't spell it that way.

Also, I love the IPA and want to use it all the time. I miss studying linguistics
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #42 on: 10 May 2011, 16:58 »

i'd love to introduce myself to some of you in person and count how many times you say "what?" after i say my name

i always thought i spoke pretty well, but i think i've been getting lazy as i've gotten older, so whenever i tell someone my name is Danny they inevitably say "what?" at least once, usually a couple times

"danny" seems so easy to say too, i don't know what the deal is. i guess i'm just a fast-talking, backwoods mushmouth.  :-D
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2011, 17:12 »

i'd love to introduce myself to some of you in person and count how many times you say "what?" after i say my name

i always thought i spoke pretty well, but i think i've been getting lazy as i've gotten older, so whenever i tell someone my name is Danny they inevitably say "what?" at least once, usually a couple times

"danny" seems so easy to say too, i don't know what the deal is. i guess i'm just a fast-talking, backwoods mushmouth.  :-D

My dad (who claims to have done some research into it, while trying to prove that it's not his ears that are the problem, it's everyone else's poor enunciation) that names are the least understandable part of a person's greeting, because they are so familiar to us. So if you say, "Hi, I'm Danny," it might very well seem clear to you, since you know what you're saying, but it comes out to everyone else as "Hiyumdanee".
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 17:18 by bainidhe_dub »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2011, 17:26 »

My daughter Catherine uses Kit for short.  

And I don't pronounce Titania the same as you either, nor the same as Tania.

Kit is perfectly acceptable, and also cute! How else does one pronounce Titania? tie-TANE-ee-uh? tih-tuh-NY-uh? I once knew a Tania, a Tiana, and a Tatiana and all those A sounds were approximately the same, and I have only ever heard anyone pronounce Titania similarly.

Titania is either a name for a very fat/tall/large bosomed girl or multiple pieces of titanium.

Um?
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 17:30 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #45 on: 10 May 2011, 17:28 »

How else does one pronounce Titania?

Tit-TAN-yuh like tania is TAN-yuh

Instead of Tit-TAHN-yuh and TAHN-yuh
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #46 on: 10 May 2011, 17:31 »

Oh my. Y'all dun gone loss dem final D's.

Well we don't have a big drawl like the stereotypical southern american accent, but I don't know how to explain it. I guess you know how Lindsay Lohan's character in Mean Girls was called Cady? That is how I pronounce Katie.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #47 on: 10 May 2011, 17:34 »

they're also all on the same internet

You guys should move to China.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #48 on: 10 May 2011, 17:44 »

I'd really, really like to hear that.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2011, 17:46 »

Presumably Tommy means he mentally puts on what an English person thinks is an Australian accent.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up