THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice and constructive criticism please?  (Read 7308 times)

Ghostfingers

• Not quite a lurker
Advice and constructive criticism please?
« on: 27 Dec 2010, 20:36 »

This is probably the 5th or so image that I've tried any sort of painting or realistic shading on. In short, I suck at it a lot. I still have a lot of trouble breaking out of my cartoony mode of style, and my eye needs a lot of work; so any help with anatomy and painting issues would be greatly appreciated. I've been spending a lot of time drawing from life and I'm slowly improving with that, so anything specific to this piece would be helpful.

I'm also very dissatisfied with the hair in particular; it looks messy and tubey but I can't quite figure out how to fix it.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: Advice and constructive criticism please?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2011, 22:11 »

...so any help with anatomy ... would be greatly appreciated.

She seems to be missing a few parts. 

I've been spending a lot of time drawing from life...

Wait, she was still alive? 

Sorry,  iknow that's not what you were looking for, but damn, I just couldn't resist...

OK, I guess I could  have. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2011, 07:24 »

Really the best way to get better is to just keep looking and keep drawing. There are a lot of books out there, too. Looking at artists you admire helps.

The only real suggestion I have about that drawing for the hair is to not focus so much on making hair purely out of lines. Get about 3 tones, light, medium, and dark, and use them to block out the different shades of the hair. Then with the light and dark, add only a few lines to make it seem more like hair. It will help it look more realistic and less medusa.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Wayfaring Stranger

• Larger than most fish
  • Bamboo
    • Foxing Quires
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2011, 12:53 »

Good advice on the hair.  Hair doesn't really stick together in big chunks like that unless it's done very deliberately.  Like the previous person said, use sparing lines to suggest the idea of hair, rather than drawing each individual strand.  I think her clothing is the strongest part of this drawing.  The shading for the folds in the cloth is well done.
http://www.foxingquires.com

A webcomic about books, music, romance, culture, and more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up