THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hell on Wheels  (Read 2868 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Hell on Wheels
« on: 03 May 2011, 13:32 »

trailer

But it can't just be a straight-up Western. No, it needs to have a twist. Here Anson Mount stars as the world's sexiest Confederate soldier who ends up working on the Transcontinental Railroad while trying to avenge his wife by killing the Union soldiers who killed her. See, here the Confederates are the heroes. Way to deliver something both world-weary critics and conservatives still fighting the War of Northern Aggression will both love. Anyway, the show looks promising—for a western.

So, forum hivemind, what do we think?
« Last Edit: 03 May 2011, 13:58 by Tom »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Hell on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2011, 13:46 »

Basically Outlaw Josey Wales: The Series.

I just want Deadwood back.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2011, 13:52 »

looks good!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2011, 14:53 »

Meh, not really interested.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2011, 16:08 »

Basically Outlaw Josey Wales: The Series.

Or non-space Firefly

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2011, 16:26 »

With even more overt War of Northern Aggression themes!
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2011, 21:00 »

Kinda interesting, I think.  I like the idea of a guy joining the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad as a means of finding his wife's killers.  The show looks like it's taking a pretty realistic approach to portraying Manifest Destiny as it actually was, and not the jingoistic banter I've gotten from some of the history textbooks I've had to study.  I think the majority of what a saw looks promising.

However, there's one big thing that's nagging at me.  The parts of the trailer showing people talking about how dangerous the building of the railroad will be and how "blood will be spilled," with cuts of explosions in between, is making me nervous.  I realize it could just be terrible editing for the sake of making a trailer, but in the event it's not, I think that could ruin the show for me.  I'm aware that any construction work back in those times was dangerous work, building a railroad particularly so, but I got a somewhat different vibe from those scenes, like the workers had to constantly be on their guard from attacks.  Maybe it's just me, but that seems like just too much.

I hope I'm overthinking things, because if the show is made as historically accurate as possible while still following the soldier's story the whole time, I think it could turn out pretty good.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2011, 08:49 »

Building the transcontinental railroad was not only extremely dangerous and involved (literally) tons of explosions/explosives to pull off but there actually were competing interests that led to violent conflict along the lines. Moreover building the railroad coincided/was directly linked to Indian removal projects which also cause a good deal of violence and tension. That's not to mention the fact that violence between workers was also hardly rare. I would guess that the show might amp up the action a bit but it's a big mistake to think of the construction of the transcontinental railroad as a more or less peaceful affair and to be disappointed with a violent looking show about the subject as a result.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2011, 21:25 »

Building the transcontinental railroad was not only extremely dangerous and involved (literally) tons of explosions/explosives to pull off but there actually were competing interests that led to violent conflict along the lines. Moreover building the railroad coincided/was directly linked to Indian removal projects which also cause a good deal of violence and tension. That's not to mention the fact that violence between workers was also hardly rare. I would guess that the show might amp up the action a bit but it's a big mistake to think of the construction of the transcontinental railroad as a more or less peaceful affair and to be disappointed with a violent looking show about the subject as a result.

You make some good points that I admit I overlooked.  I really hope you're right here, because playing it straight historically could lead to some riveting television.  I don't quite know how to put it into words, but the things that bothered me just seemed pretty... Hollywood, I guess.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up