THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes genius isn't  (Read 6751 times)

Kevin.oc

• Not quite a lurker
iTunes genius isn't
« on: 16 May 2011, 19:28 »

I have been looking for some new (new as in I haven't heard them) artists for a bit but I have had little luck.  iTunes genius is laughable and there are no local music venues where people can talk about this (we have an hmv but Daft Punk falls into the "world music" section found in the back corner.)  I think this could also be a fun idea for a thread, post 10 songs and what the community thinks would be good artist choices based off that.  I think with this exercise the devil is in the detail so "guilty pleasure" artists I think tell a lot about people.   Anywho, since it's my thread I will start it off:

The White Stripes - Candy Cane Children

Sub6 - Droid Save the Queen

Dirty Vegas : Million Ways

Jamiroquai - Black Capricorn Day

Deltron 3030 - Madness

Conjure one - Tidal pool

She Wants Revenge - Sister

Stabilo - Paperboy

Infected Mushroom - Disco Mushrooms

Roberta Carter Harrison - Ruby (Linked b/c most people probably have not heard it)
http://prostopleer.com/#/tracks/37459822oTh

This I think best describes the range I am looking for but you will notice that most of this is more then 6 years old, I am having trouble committing to newer music, maybe it is because I am getting older and I don't have the time I used to to keep up with whats out there.  The best (best as in I am still listening to it) work I have found recently is "Karma Phala Project" Sarah Fimm but I don't feel it has the enduring essence to move it up to iPod status.

As i finished writing this 'Battles - Tonto' came on and I felt it would be a good runner-up if they made more music.

« Last Edit: 16 May 2011, 19:52 by Kevin.oc »

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
Re: iTunes genius isn't
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2011, 20:11 »

i am not going to comment on yr taste because i'm feeling nice but i will say that 8tracks and last.fm are pretty useful sites for this sorta thing. try em out.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Kevin.oc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2011, 20:15 »

i am not going to comment on yr taste because i'm feeling nice but i will say that 8tracks and last.fm are pretty useful sites for this sorta thing. try em out.

Nah, I want you to rip it apart, think something is better, let me know.  This thread is about discovering new things.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 20:28 »

I recommend some quiet time of reflection to think about what has happened.
Fuck you Tommy Jamiroquai is No Fault.

That's a term I just coined, No Fault, because I'm passionate right now you understand
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2011, 20:34 »

Nah Jamiroquai is totally Full Fault.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2011, 20:36 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2011, 20:37 »

On-topic, if you like The White Stripes I would get the first two Iggy Pop solo records.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Kevin.oc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2011, 20:50 »

On-topic, if you like The White Stripes I would get the first two Iggy Pop solo records.

See this is what I was hoping to see, I will check them out asap.

On my own side note, I toss the artists above plus a few more from my library into last.FM and it chugged out a list that was much better then the genius:

Band of Skulls
The Greenhornes
Space Cat
The Black Keys
S.U.N. Project
Blood Red Shoes
Talamasca
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Anyone got any feelings?  I have a few Black keys album, there ok but they don't really grab me with anything they do.  Right now I'm listening to Blood red shoes, I can see serious white stripes influence.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2011, 22:01 »

The White Stripes are influenced primarily by the blues, 60's garage acts and the slew of Detroit rock bands that preceded them, among other things. Here are a few check out (there are tons more if you're interested):

"Death Letter" - Son House. This is the original version of the song the White Stripes cover on De Stijl. Son House, along with other Delta blues artists such as Robert Johnson and Blind Willie McTell, have an influence that can be seen not only in the White Stripes but in almost all rock music. if you like this song I'd get the album The Legendary Son House: Father of the Folk Blues before moving on to more Son House and other blues musicians

"Psycho" - The Sonics. A northwestern garage band whose amphetamine-fueled energy, shouting vocals and crude guitars were largely influential on later garage bands and one of the stepping stones on the way to punk rock. Get the albums Here are the Sonics and Boom

"Thunderbird ESQ" - The Gories. Clearly a huge impact on the White Stripes, this back-to-basics Detroit rock group plays primitive, blues-based rock music with 2 guitars and an incomplete drumset. The album I Know You Fine, But How You Doin' is a must have
« Last Edit: 16 May 2011, 22:11 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2011, 22:07 »

Zombie by Fela Kuti

Also seconding The Sonics.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2011, 00:29 »

Can I just say here that I hate iTunes Genius and I have never used it because I think it is stupid and I am much better than dumb algorithms and this is why my mixtapes are the best and that I should probably share those with the world so people understand how awesome I am at matching up songs that shouldn't be matched up but go so well together, so well, unlike that drink I once made where I poured Heath toffee bits into a cup of ovaltine chocolate milk. Except that was delicious too. Except my mixtapes aren't like that.
it's time to stop posting

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2011, 01:10 »

Are you American? If you're American Pandora is supposed to be really good for music suggestion.

Also, you should probably just download Nuggets compilations and get it done with.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2011, 11:35 »

Zombie by Fela Kuti

Also seconding The Sonics.

thirding the sonics.
you may also dig ghost in the trees by thee oh sees
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2011, 11:41 »

On-topic, if you like music I would get the first two Iggy Pop solo records.

Fix'd.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2011, 13:23 »

I recommend some quiet time of reflection to think about what has happened.

Okay, a) good song.

b) Check out Thunderball. Right up your block, but miles better than Jamiroquai.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2011, 14:28 »

Are you American? If you're American Pandora is supposed to be really good for music suggestion.

Also, you should probably just download Nuggets compilations and get it done with.
Pshh. Pandora is so 2008. It's all about GrooveShark now (and Google Music when it gets out of beta).
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

chenghiz

• Not quite a lurker
  • WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2011, 15:18 »

Grooveshark's Similar Artists feature (and radio) is pretty terrible IMO, and it doesn't have many less-well-known artists. Last.fm is pretty decent, though.

Steve Reich ambient -> Kronos Quartet eastern european string music is not my idea of similar music. Seems like that's what happens if you go purely by genre labels trying to classify an artist's entire body of work as one style of music, or something dumb like that

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2011, 17:12 »

Yeah, the grooveshark radio thing is pretty terrible, they're constantly playing the same artist and it's usually never that good of a match to what you were listening to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up