THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Men:First Class  (Read 11942 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
X-Men:First Class
« on: 03 Jun 2011, 12:37 »

I havnt seen it yet but MovieBob gave it a glowing review.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3371-X-Men-First-Class
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: X-Men:First Class
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2011, 14:20 »

Yeah I've had no interest in seeing this, but people who've seen it have said positive things about it (that i heard anyway). I guess that means I'm interested.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2011, 14:53 »

Pretty much like his review said, because of the last two movies I had no interest in seeing it when I first heard about it. I saw a very short clip for it at Thor (I think it was Thor?) and because of the cast, thought maybe, but yeah, now I'm interested. The preview looks decent, the time period that they're focusing on is new (which is a very good thing), so I will probably see it at some point.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2011, 15:40 »

probably going to try and see this today when i get off work. i was skeptical at first too, in no small part due to mr. mcavoy, but i've heard pretty much nothing but good things, and i'm a huge sucker for anything x-men

fingers crossed
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2011, 18:44 »

I quite liked the first X-Men film.

Ten years ago, when I was 13.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2011, 18:51 »

I've been pretty much for this movie since the beginning. I was a little sad they didn't do a straight First Class movie, but I like that they used characters that don't get much use. Looking forward to seeing it.

So far getting pretty good reviews.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2011, 06:15 »

Plus, superhero movies are usually terrible.

People have been doing a pretty ok job the past few years, so does this include some of the newer films or just older ones? (Let's pretend X3 and Wolverine don't exist.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2011, 11:52 »

The only thing that annoyed me about this film is that for absolutely no reason at all, in the last 20 minutes Michael Fassbenders accent completely slips and he just starts being Irish.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2011, 17:49 »

The only thing that annoyed me about this film is that for absolutely no reason at all, in the last 20 minutes Michael Fassbenders accent completely slips and he just starts being Irish.

Thanks for that.  This is one of those things you can't unsee/unhear.  When I see it tomorrow, I will dwell on this from the start of the film.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun 2011, 21:18 »

Excuse me:

Would someone please explain what Mystique is doing in the original team when she was never an X-Man???!

Thank you.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jun 2011, 22:05 »

None of these guys are X-Men yet, they kind of touched on that in the last few minutes of the film when Moira said they should start calling them X-Men. You just watched everything that happens right up to the split between Professor X and Magneto, where those who followed Xavier become X-Men and those who went with Magneto become the Brotherhood. I'm not sure what you're asking, I guess. It's like asking why Magneto is on the team when he was never an X-Man.

Movie was great, the casting was better than I expected. Glad they finally delved into the origin story. Was disappointed that Stan Lee didn't make a cameo, but I think the other cameos made up for that a bit.

And yeah, I couldn't STOP hearing Fassbender's Irish accent in the last 20 minutes, thanks hahaha.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jun 2011, 23:42 »

I'm kinda burned out on superhero movies.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun 2011, 08:58 »

I absolutely hated January Jones in this film. I've never seen her in anything before but she was just incredibly wooden and terrible.

There are a couple of notes that didn't quite hit right but for the most part I really, really enjoyed it. Waaaaay better than X3/Wolverine, not as good as X2. Probably about as solid as the original, actually.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:41 »

She is, now you can see why she was so appropriately cast in Mad Men as Betty Draper.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2011, 15:55 »

I love, Love, LOVED this movie, definitely one of my favorite X-men movies. Pretty much everyone was perfect. I loved Banshee and Beast the most. Banshee being all shy, awkward, and, as my girlfriend likes to say, stoned during most of the film. Beast's look at the end and his overall mannerisms.

I absolutely hated January Jones in this film. I've never seen her in anything before but she was just incredibly wooden and terrible.
I thought she was ok, but overall she was pretty bland.

I never noticed it.

Word is they are already working on a sequel, and from the ending it kind of looks like it.
Also,
(click to show/hide)

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2011, 17:20 »

I have no problem about Eric and Charles being together in this Prequel, as I am familiar with the fact that both of them worked together in   early days until their split Elysiana, my point is - and I AM doing this from memory, so forgive me if I've got it mixed up - Mystique didn't hook up with the Brotherhood till after the split between Charles and Eric.
James The Kugai 

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jun 2011, 04:25 »

I don't see Mystique hanging around with Charles back in the 60's being that big of a problem. If you were going to call out any point that doesn't stand up to the comic book canon, then I would have thought you would have mentioned the fact that Cyclop's younger brother, Havok, is kicking about thirty or forty years before the first X-Men film.

Fact is, the films are a completely different continuity. Singer stated that the Havok in the film universe isn't Scott Summer's brother, but some other form of relative that allows him to appear in First Class, so if that's the route they've taken I don't see why Mystique can't have been with Charles and Eric before they went their seperate ways.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jun 2011, 04:52 »

Especially since they establish in First Class that Mystique ages differently to other humans and even other mutants and that when she's 40 she'll still look like a teenager so when she still looks young in X-Men 1-3 it's ok because she'd be about 60 and look about 25ish.

Also it's not like the films are Earth-616 continuity so I'm ok with some departures from canon. In Ultimate X-Men, Alex Summers is Scott's older brother.

Oh, do you guys think that Emma Frost's appearance in this film negates Wolverine: Origins? I do like how the next Wolverine film is apparently going to ignore Origins completely.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2011, 05:32 »

I quite liked the first X-Men film.

Ten years ago, when I was 13.
Me too.  I also liked it when I rewatched it a week ago, when I was 23.

As for first class, I thought the casting was great, although the ending was a little cheesy (but not bad enough to undo the good rest of it).

(click to show/hide)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2011, 05:59 »

Sorry Kugai, you worded your original question kinda funny and I wasn't following.

Yeah, we didn't go into this movie expecting it to follow canon completely. Or necessarily at all. I haven't really minded that in any of the superhero movies of the last ten years, to be honest - the comics go through reboots and alternate universes all the time so I guess it's kind of cool to see a director's take on where they think the story should lead. It's not like when you have a single novel and they completely change the story; comics, especially ones with this many different versions already, are a lot more fluid and forgiving.

I loved the whole 60s thing - they had fun with the costume and set design without it being over the top "HEY LOOK GUYZ WE'RE IN THE 60S LOL!"

What's Wolverine: Origins? Is it like Highlander 2? :P

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:12 »

what's highlander 2? is it like terminator 3?

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:43 »

Is it like what now?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun 2011, 10:03 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jun 2011, 10:12 »

what's highlander 2? is it like terminator 3?
haha too true.

I must admit though the wolverine movie was a guilty pleasure of mine.  Something to watch late at night when your bored and nothings on.  Do I think it was a good movie? No!  Its a train wreck, but sometimes watching a train wreck is fun when theres nothing to watch.  Highlander 2 was way worse than wolverine though I kind of feel like it went from highlander to highlander 3 and that the sequel never existed.  T3 was just terrible.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun 2011, 12:29 »

Wait are you implying Highlander 3 was good?

Mario Van Peebles, dude.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jun 2011, 12:44 »

Wait are you implying Highlander 3 was good?

Mario Van Peebles, dude.
he is why I liked it.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:19 »

« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 13:26 by Blue Kitty »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:24 »

I'm not sure what's more stupid in that review, her comments about Islam (seriously, where the hell did that come from?) or her assertion that this is a kids' movie, or...a third thing.

Modifier: Ok, I just wiki'd her, and apparently that's just her thing.  But that still doesn't explain the "kids' movie" comment.

Second Modifier after reading more: Wow, she is just a terrible, terrible person, isn't she?
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2011, 13:34 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jun 2011, 14:36 »

What is this I don't even...

Now, it’s the Cold War, and Shaw and Frost are trying to get the U.S., Cuba, and the Soviets to start a nuclear war against each other.  Why?  They don’t say.  They’re just evil, and Hollywood can’t come up with anything better when they try so hard to avoid Islam.  Oh, and one other thing interesting (or not so interesting, depending on your take): Shaw’s devil-like co-villain, Azazel, has a name that is the anglicized pronunciation of the Hebrew word for “hell”:  azazel.  Hmmm . . . .
What? First of all, they explain that pretty thoroughly, several times. Second, "avoid Islam"? Huh? Why would anything about Islam be in this movie? Third... does she think Azazel was made up just for the movie? And where is she getting this notion that it's "the anglicized pronunciation of the Hebrew word for hell"?

I also don't get the "kids' movie" comment. It's PG-13, pretty common for most superhero movies, almost never seen as a "kids' movie" rating. Nor am I sure why she doesn't understand that that's Raven's natural form - why the hell would she have clothes on in her natural form?

She's really obsessed with Islam, what gives? I wonder if she gave the same review for Inglourious Basterds... "Why is this movie about Nazis when there is a WAR ON ISLAM GOING ON RIGHT NOW?!"

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jun 2011, 15:26 »

James The Kugai 

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jun 2011, 17:45 »

Yeah, don't take her seriously. Read her review on District 9 for a good laugh.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jun 2011, 05:52 »

I thought this was a great film. I guess it helps that I really don't know much about X-Men apart from the films and the 90s cartoon(s). I thought it was very well implemented, and all the mutants were dealt with pretty well (films like X3, terribleness aside, are bad due to the fact they pack so many mutants in there and make no use of them). So I think it was good that there is just a small group either side, no massive battles or whatever. Just some nice visuals and 1 on 1s.

Glad I finally got over the fact that "Tony from Skins" was in this film putting on a questionable accent.

So did they leave this open for sequel or will they focus on other Origins films? I really don't know what the hate is on Origins: Wolverine. It was, to my mind, a lot better than the other X-Men films by comparison, because I'd rather they focus on a few mutants than do fan service and bash you over the head with the hundreds they can stick in one film.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2011, 08:08 by Lupercal »

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #32 on: 07 Jun 2011, 10:21 »

I thought it was very good, quite entertaining, and really that's all that counts.  Standard problems with continuity that plague all comic book movies; do we stay 100% faithful to the books and piss off the fanboys, or make a few changes to make it a better movie (in their opinion)?

What was weird was how they obviously tried to keep some continuity with the existing X-Men movies (the opening Erik sequence was nearly a shot-for-shot reproduction) but just as obviously chose to change a few things, then explain that this is a "reboot" not a "prequel" therefore they don't have to maintain continuity.  Since I know nothing about the comic books, and the previous movies already have internal inconsistencies, I was fine with the result.

Also yeah, January Jones was horrible and I don't even think she's that hot.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #33 on: 07 Jun 2011, 19:41 »

I really don't know what the hate is on Origins: Wolverine. It was, to my mind, a lot better than the other X-Men films by comparison, because I'd rather they focus on a few mutants than do fan service and bash you over the head with the hundreds they can stick in one film.
(click to show/hide)

The problem with the Origins film was that it completely butchered the Wolverine/Weapon X mythos (I don't mind some departures from the source material, the films aren't set in the Earth 616 continuity so it's ok), they completely destroyed key characters and made things absolutely ridiculous. The writing was awful and the CGI was dogshit.
They could have focused on a few characters and made it ok but they didn't. They focused on a few characters and made it retarded.

As for what's in your spoiler tags? I liked it. It was probably unnecessary but I thought it was done well and it made me laugh. Probably my favourite bit, actually.

What was weird was how they obviously tried to keep some continuity with the existing X-Men movies (the opening Erik sequence was nearly a shot-for-shot reproduction) but just as obviously chose to change a few things, then explain that this is a "reboot" not a "prequel" therefore they don't have to maintain continuity.  Since I know nothing about the comic books, and the previous movies already have internal inconsistencies, I was fine with the result.

Also yeah, January Jones was horrible and I don't even think she's that hot.

That's weird, I understood that it was entirely a prequel and that this trilogy (there are two other First Class films in production) will maintain internal consistency with the others.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #34 on: 07 Jun 2011, 20:47 »

It's more of a preboot

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #35 on: 07 Jun 2011, 23:47 »

I overall enjoyed it. However, taking lighting classes recently I could not help but cringe at how horribly obvious the light placement was. On a more comical note, I've now seen "Nooooo" "Iiiiieeee" and with watching this movie "NIIIIIEEEEEEN" said in movies at "emotional" moments. I seriously think I have a chance to cover all the languages before I die.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 08 Jun 2011, 07:48 »

Did anyone else find that scene kind of funny? Like I had Kevin Bacon's expression during that scene instead of the horror at what just happened like my girlfriend.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #37 on: 08 Jun 2011, 10:26 »

That's weird, I understood that it was entirely a prequel and that this trilogy (there are two other First Class films in production) will maintain internal consistency with the others.

I know I've seen "reboot" tossed around, but nothing official.  Still, they've already introduced a lot of inconsistencies, most of which could be avoided, so I'm actually hoping that they don't try to claim it's a prequel.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: 08 Jun 2011, 11:51 »

Did anyone else find that scene kind of funny? Like I had Kevin Bacon's expression during that scene instead of the horror at what just happened like my girlfriend.
Oh, absolutely.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #39 on: 08 Jun 2011, 14:21 »

The Penny Arcade guys don't seem to think so much of this film.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #40 on: 08 Jun 2011, 14:40 »

Banshee ("yell boy") has been around since the Roy Thomas era!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #41 on: 08 Jun 2011, 14:50 »

How does Banshee not have obvious combat applications

Also the girl spits fire

Are the PA guys always this dumb
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #42 on: 08 Jun 2011, 15:01 »

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yes.

Though for some reason "yell boy" did make me chuckle.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: 08 Jun 2011, 19:03 »

I thought she spit acid balls or something, like a fly.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #44 on: 08 Jun 2011, 19:06 »

Yeah, remember in New X-Men when Wolverine takes her to dinner and she just spits acid on her food and then eats up, like a fly.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 08 Jun 2011, 22:00 »

Exactly, I am pretty sure she was based on this woman

Angel Salvadore
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 22:05 by Blue Kitty »

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #46 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:12 »

I really don't know what the hate is on Origins: Wolverine. It was, to my mind, a lot better than the other X-Men films by comparison, because I'd rather they focus on a few mutants than do fan service and bash you over the head with the hundreds they can stick in one film.
(click to show/hide)

The problem with the Origins film was that it completely butchered the Wolverine/Weapon X mythos (I don't mind some departures from the source material, the films aren't set in the Earth 616 continuity so it's ok), they completely destroyed key characters and made things absolutely ridiculous. The writing was awful and the CGI was dogshit.
They could have focused on a few characters and made it ok but they didn't. They focused on a few characters and made it retarded.

To be fair, I did watch Origins at night on the sofa with my girlfriend so it was not the same experience that I had with First Class, as in, the full cinematic involvement and as an audience member you're essentially financially obliged to give a shit about what you're watching. Usually.

You make a fair point - I was shocked at how outrageously sloppy the CGI was in that film, the worst part probably being the Cyclops-destroys-concrete-silo-thing moment. So so shoddy and pretty inexcusable. If you're going to do superhero movies, the spectacle is one of the fundemental aspects and needs to be right.

I guess X-Men generally is the only kind of movie where you can get away with one character supposedly being "bad" who doesn't have a single line throughout the film (see: Whirlwind Dude) and yet has an evil, emotional presence within the film. Lacking in personality though, but minions don't necessarily need to be relatable.

I think the NEEEEIN scene was pretty funny, I thought he was just yelling until I heard the final syllable...haha. Sadistic Germans are always slightly comic I suppose - I had too many fun German aural lessons taking the piss out of the accents/conversations to ever take the language seriously again. "Du und Ich Erik...". Cracked me up.

Worst point was probably where whats-her-face-wooden-woman just blatantly shoves in that they should be called X-Men. Could see it coming a mile off. And when Mystiq decides the aliases and superhero names. Well done, point made, there is a point in these films where "that which is understood doesn't need to be discussed". But apparently it does.

(To the above - probably what a The Fly and Precious crossover would look like)
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 16:14 by Lupercal »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #47 on: 09 Jun 2011, 16:19 »

Yeah, the ending bothered me a bit because the goal switched from telling a good story to OH SHIT WE FORGOT TO EXPLAIN HOW SOME SHIT HAPPENED.  THERE YOU ARE NOW X-MEN BECAUSE ROSE BYRNE SAID SO.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #48 on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:50 »

I found myself thoroughly entertained, which surprised me because I don't even like the X-Men comics.

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jun 2011, 08:01 »

From the reviews I've been reading, the movie would have been far better if they'd gone with the original Magneto: Origins script instead of shoe horning in First Class stuff (the best parts of the film are The Adventures of Magneto: Nazi Hunter portions).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up