THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Should Dora go out with Jim?  (Read 53468 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Should Dora go out with Jim?
« Reply #50 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:32 »

I actually think it'd be a good idea for her to date somebody. Even if it's too early and bound to fail in the end. She needs to go on and get over her past relationships and.. well.. you can't get rid of your agoraphobia without confronting the spider.  :mrgreen: In this case, I agree with the poster above though. Jim is probably not the best choice.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #51 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:38 »

Not sure how facing a spider would help with agoraphobia, arachniphobia maybe...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:43 »

uh yeah. that phobia.

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:26 »

Not sure how facing a spider would help with agoraphobia, arachniphobia maybe...

Although, picking a fight with Spider-man would help you to get over both.

I'm glad Dora agreed to go out with Jim. It'll do her some good to date someone that isn't a complete layabout and who demonstrates actual initiative to do something with his life.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jun 2011, 04:17 »

Hmm. What good could come out of this dinner(date)? Neither Dora nor Jim has completely recovered from their past. So it might happen that they realize this during the dinner, and take the realization as part of the closure they may need. Then they agree to keep their relationship as strictly business (for now, at least :evil:), and end the night with a chaste hug. Both go to their respective homes content in the knowledge that they are in the dating pool again.

To get the necessary level of hilarity and awkwardness out of this: the evening begins with several lapses committed by both parties bemoaning their past marriage/relationships, brother issues, et cetera (much like Sven during the pretendate with Hanners). Only after that disastrous start will they see the light.

IOW: I'm optimistically expecting the dinner date to have a therapeutical effect on both of them. But not more.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jun 2011, 05:24 »

Why is everyone using their business relationship as a end all for them dating?  They don't directly work together; they just trade products.  It's a plus but it's not critical to either business.  If anything, one of these companies will learn how to do what the other does and end the trade.  It's temporary at best.

Dora's been dating people with no goals in their life, and now an immature, horny little girl considers herself next in line.  I say go for it Dora and date Jim.  Anything to get you away from these people who just drag you down to their level, and then call you crazy for not being happy with someone who just meanders through life.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Elfa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jun 2011, 06:54 »

Now we just have to see how it goes.  Knowing Jeph it will likely end in disaster for the sake of comedy relief but here's hoping.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:04 »

I worry that Dora may be vulnerable or wants someone new in her life to get over Marten.  Rebound always sucks, especially for the person being rebound.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:08 »

I had to take a deep breath this morning and remind myself that this is a comic.

That said, IF Dora was a real person and I knew her, I would think a lot less of her for going out with Jim after the way she broke up with Marten, and the reasons she gave.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:44 »

She said yes! Yay!

I feel a little bad for Tai...

But...Dora has a date with a sexy older man. :D
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #61 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:47 »

I had to take a deep breath this morning and remind myself that this is a comic.

That said, IF Dora was a real person and I knew her, I would think a lot less of her for going out with Jim after the way she broke up with Marten, and the reasons she gave.

Oh, please.

Besides, I know of people who work together and are in a relationship. It's not ALWAYS a disaster. I actually think it would be really awesome if this date led to something real.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:54 »

I also think this answers my question about whether she feels the same about Jim. She is still thinking about him when Tai comes in, and it seems like she's kind of scared, like "What did I do?"

I think it's obvious now that it's not a business dinner. I think she likes him too... : )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #63 on: 10 Jun 2011, 10:55 »

Oh, please.

Besides, I know of people who work together and are in a relationship. It's not ALWAYS a disaster. I actually think it would be really awesome if this date led to something real.
are they both employed by the same company or do they both own separate companies and co-operate?

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:12 »

They are both owners of separate coffee shops...all they're doing is trading coffee and baked goods. I hardly see how them dating would interfere with that.

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:48 »

I also think this answers my question about whether she feels the same about Jim. She is still thinking about him when Tai comes in, and it seems like she's kind of scared, like "What did I do?"

I think it's obvious now that it's not a business dinner. I think she likes him too... : )

We don't know. The one who said 'date' was Raven, and she is likely to say that at any given chance. Most likely is that one of the parties thinks it's a business date and one thinks it's a pleasure date, since that is the funniest setup.  :mrgreen:
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

Tiogyr

« Reply #66 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:54 »

We don't know. The one who said 'date' was Raven, and she is likely to say that at any given chance. Most likely is that one of the parties thinks it's a business date and one thinks it's a pleasure date, since that is the funniest setup.  :mrgreen:

Jim thinks it's all business, Dora throws herself at him only to get a "Child, please." response.

That would be the funniest thing to happen, plus it would probably help snap Dora into actually doing something to better herself on a personal level once she realized what depths she let herself sink to.

O8h7w

« Reply #67 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:58 »

Good one, I vote for this. :)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #68 on: 10 Jun 2011, 14:41 »

Well, we have been led to believe that TSB is the "Bizarro World" version of COD, so Jim's marriage may have been to a woman who had little ambition, but would jump anything that moved. Amazingly, he has a sister who he refers to as a "slut" - and maybe, just to REALLY twist the screws, turns out to be a protege of one Ms. Veronica Vance.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Stephen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jun 2011, 17:30 »

:-o

Mind numbing fear and panic = likes. That's disturbing. She looked like she was afraid he was going to hit her when he asked her out. We agree she looks afraid over this. If you add that to the abuse from previous boyfriends then her accepting is bad. Given the hostility he displayed towards his divorce when he was first introduced two appearances ago it would seem that she is seeking out the same kind of guy who abused her in the past. It doesn't matter if he is that kind of guy or not only that she thinks he is. The only way for her fear to not stem from her issues with relationships (not men) is to wave the magic plot wand. The magic plot wand is worse than Deus ex Machina. I've seen it used prominently in the worst Star Trek videos. It's where in no way could something work at all but it does anyway because that is how it is written.
Like when the crew of Voyager found "cracks" in an event horizon. This story can be written in such a way that Jim and Dora live happily ever after or Tai and Dora live happily ever after or Marten and Dora live happily ever after or they all just end up in one big strange polyamorous relationship. But it shouldn't.

Jim seems like bad Questionable Content fanfiction. A character that comes out of nowhere for a romance with a main character? That kind of plotline belongs in an anime forum. Plus going by this being a Bizzaro CoD think what that really means. We already have seen the Bizarro Dora that Marten flirted with so who would Jim be the Bizarro version of? He is older, more mature, although successful not all that successful, was married  and after that relationship ended badly is trying to better himself by dating other people (presumably him asking out Dora). His Bizarro version would have to be young, kind of immature, really successful in a ridiculous manner, hasn't really been in a committed relationship, trying to better himself by NOT dating...

He's Bizarro Sven. That is creepy. I thought it was unhealthy for Marten to try and see Bizarro Dora but it is creepier for Dora to date Bizarro Sven. Given that the character seems like a bad fanfiction character this just makes it all too disturbing. The night should end with Dora who looked terrified when he asked her out saying goodbye, apologizing for just not being interested even though he's a really great guy (probably) and the two continuing their business partnership amicably. This is the ideal outcome. It won't happen. He's going to let his hostility towards his ex leak into the relationship while the issues she has not yet come close to dealing with poison it from her end. No more than two months have passed since she sabotaged her relationship with uncontrolled jealousy. If you want to call it understandable fine but I find it hard to understand an emotion that pops up unexpectedly and then disappears as though nothing happened and isn't brought up until it pops up again to wreak havoc like a hurricane. The point is she is not ready to even go out on a date with someone. two months is not enough therapy time for her to be at a point where the problems that destroyed her last relationship are not affecting her judgement negatively.

And for those who say that Marten hit on Faye he didn't. Yes, he propositioned her but sex was not the point of the statement. It was him openly insulting her because like his previous girlfriend and Dora she had turned him down and she had dated Sven who was a jerk at the time. He was openly insulting women pointing out he was acting like a jerk therefore women (including Faye) should find him attractive. Had it not been for that "owl" to his head he probably would have threatened to beat up her boyfriend and then challenged her to a fight before falling over and knocking himself out. He was drunk and angry at the world. Asking her to have sex was a verbal attack.

And for all of you who say it wasn't Dora's fault YES it was. She admitted it. She admitted that she knew there was nothing going on between him and Faye, the person who introduced her to Marten, and that her problems weren't just getting better. Ignore it and it will go away is an immature attitude and it does not work.

She shouldn't date Jim anymore than this one time because in the story she has agreed and in a realistic story setting it does not work. If she is going to have a relationship with him then for their date he should show up in shiny gold armor on a diamond unicorn, wave a sceptre putting her into a ball gown, lift her up behind him and whisk her off to his palace in the clouds on a double rainbow while Aragorn, Frodo, Harry Potter, Edward, and Zelgadis all wave happily to them in congratulations.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jun 2011, 21:16 »

For me, the concept of "tSB equals Bizarro CoD" quickly withered.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jun 2011, 22:08 »

are they both employed by the same company or do they both own separate companies and co-operate?

They are both owners of separate coffee shops...all they're doing is trading coffee and baked goods. I hardly see how them dating would interfere with that.

I think we have a major misunderstanding there - I'm pretty sure LeeC was asking you about the people you said you knew, not Dora and Jim. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #72 on: 11 Jun 2011, 00:11 »

Well, there's always the obvious option as well - this doesn't have to be a romantic thing.  Or even a casual fling.  She and Jim just got into an apparently successful deal together.  His plan might be to discuss business, or simply to celebrate how well it went for them.

Of course I'll grant that it probably is an attempt at romance on Jim's behalf.  But then, there's no reason why Dora shouldn't accept anyway.  He's apparently successful, and Raven at least thinks he's good-looking, even if he apparently isn't fond of his ex(es).  Accepting an offer of dinner doesn't mean she's going to become his new wife, it doesn't even mean she has to sleep with the guy.  They can go out, and if it fizzles, they don't have to go out again.  At the very worst Dora might have to endure a few awkward moments in exchange for dinner.
If they do sleep together... well, Dora clearly doesn't attach the same significance to sex as Faye does, though it's clearly important to her.  Now, if Jim gets Dora drunk and knocks her up, that might be a disaster, but since last time I checked QC wasn't a soap opera I don't see that happening.  It might be something of a relapse for her if she ends up sleeping with a guy who's not good for her, like the Alpha-Dicks she used to date, and that would suck... but I think even then her therapist could offer some advice.  At least she'd be opening up a little after The Big Breakup.

And hey, let's assume that this date actually leads to some kind of connection and Dora does end up dating Jim for a while.  Which means that, well, she's dating someone.  And... unless he's abusive, I don't see the downside to this.  If she likes him enough to do it, isn't that a good thing?
Basically, this date might make her little circle of friends a little awkward for a little while, but really, at the moment it already is.  Where's the harm?
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Stephen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #73 on: 11 Jun 2011, 10:17 »

The harm of a step back... Faye had to force her to call a therapist. She is now at the START of her therapy BEGINNING to deal with the issues that caused her to sabotage a good relationship with someone who, until the company up and left, was somewhat successful. Not sure about the future and not sure about himself and unclear goals does not equal total loser. The harm in a relationship right now is a step back means she's back OUT of therapy, not dealing with her problems and being the same way that she was with Marten. I know everyone wants to point to the passive aggressive "emo" as the reason they broke up but he wasn't. She admitted it was her issues and that her jealousy was unfounded and shouldn't have treated him that way. When they broke up it wasn't even clear if she really wanted to.

And if people are going to argue the "it's only one date" then stop bringing up the point of "so what if they do start dating?" as the harm has been said. From a character standpoint she isn't ready to start even going out on one date with guys regardless of how it ends because she has to focus on herself right now. As a business partner or friend then it is a little early to start asking someone to a private dinner on both fronts. Looking at him as a character I reiterate that this seems more like a bad fan fiction. All that's left is to find out that he is better at everything than every other character including roasting coffee beans which he's just never tried before.

From a plot standpoint this seems artificially added. We know NOTHING of this character. Even the rest of the Secret Bakery crew is too much of a mystery to be a big part of this story right now. Look at what's-his-name now dating Faye. He had a LOT of strip time before really connecting with the group and becoming a real character. I hope this entire dinner occurs off panel while the comic focuses on the party and when asked how it went Dora says he's great but she just isn't ready to see anyone right now and maybe reflect that she shouldn't have gone.

I also still maintain that the total panic she seems to have when asked is more a sign that she is taking on the role of sub in her own mind once again.

O8h7w

« Reply #74 on: 11 Jun 2011, 11:49 »

And everybody is still jumping to conclusions, suggesting things without support from the characters themselves and so on. Without even realizing that they're making it all up themselves. Look, we don't know!  :police:

What we do know is that Dora ended a relationship where both parties was presumably in love with each other, based on her insecurities - or rather the fights and the trouble that they caused. We also do know, not completely sure but reasonably, that this was less than two months ago.

This leads us to deduct that a romantic relationship is probably not something she is able to pull off right now - not that it would be bad for her if she actually could. But then again, this is where we are trying to figure things out on our own, and we need to be clear on this point - this is no facts, there is wrong or right answer, this is just a bunch of fans that are speculating. Please note that I do love to speculate and argue, the last thing I would want is to kill a discussion. I only want the discussion to be a little more clearly worded and reasonable.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jun 2011, 14:04 »

We also don't know what was talked about in session #2 with her new therapist - if, indeed, she's returned for a 2nd session, even though a little less than two months (six weeks, maybe?) have passed since we heard about session #1 - which was all about Sven.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #76 on: 11 Jun 2011, 23:22 »

She should go out with Jim and with Tai.  I mean holy crap, new friends will be good for her... she should go out with anyone she can!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:22 »

How caring, and so very nice.

But that passes quickly.  A degree of variability like that is not unhealthy in itself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #78 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:05 »

Bad news for Tai. The latest comic seems to suggest that Dora knows how Tai feels about her, and just doesn't feel the same way back. Still, she seems to feel bad about Tai finding out about the date...I hope she can let Tai down easy.

My guess about why Dora doesn't like Tai...Dora generally seems to prefer men for actual relationships, despite being sexually attracted to women too. Also, she is a bit older than Tai, and might prefer someone her age or older.

Tai is also a bit too impulsive. I do think Tai is going to be upset, as we can already see. : (

I hope Tai doesn't take it too hard or do anything nutso.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #79 on: 12 Jun 2011, 10:31 »

Given that we have no evidence of Dora making progress in combating her insecurities towards dating, nor have we seen any evidence of Dora aborting an overreaction... I think Dora seriously dating Jim would be a bad idea. I think that she would once again be eaten alive by her own insecurities and relationship paranoia, and that's assuming that her relationship with Jim would be a completely healthy one. (not that we have substantial reason to think it wouldn't be, but every new relationship is a pandora's box)

With Faye, we saw her making positive changes in the way she interacts with people and in her emotional responses. We knew before she started dating Angus that she was a much more stable person, and one who could handle intimacy again, than she was when she entered the comic.

It's completely possible that Dora has made enormous strides in therapy.... but I doubt it, simply based on Jephs storytelling style. This isn't the sort of detail that Jeph has glossed over in the past, and I hope that he doesn't have all of Dora's therapy/emotional progress happen "offscreen".

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:13 »

Dora controlled a nascent overreaction when Hannelore asked Sven for a pseudodate. If you meant overreactions to events in her own life, you're right.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:31 »

Dora controlled a nascent overreaction when Hannelore asked Sven for a pseudodate. If you meant overreactions to events in her own life, you're right.

I think that case might have been because it was Sven, the one person who, in Dora's mind at least, had it the easiest in life. He could be seen as the person who Dora has always felt powerless against, look at when she said that her "friends" only hung out with her so that they could sneak off and make out with Sven. Even when he was sleeping with Faye, Dora really didn't do anything to him. It was only after he slept with Gina Riversmith that she acted aggressively by slapping him, and that was because he hurt Faye.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:40 »

hmm, nice catch, I'd forgotten about that one.  

@theevildog: I think Is it cold in here meant this strip: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1755

I think the reason Dora controlled that reaction was because the idea of Sven and Hanners going anywhere romantically was a stretch even for Dora's imagination.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:49 »

@theevildog: I think Is it cold in here meant this strip: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1755
I think the reason Dora controlled that reaction was because the idea of Sven and Hanners going anywhere romantically was a stretch even for Dora's imagination.

I know what comic Cold meant. My point was that she didn't really do much besides a little arm waving and throwing some dirty glances to Sven, even a cursory threat to her brother. Compare that to any time when its just Sven and Dora and we see that she really can't do that much to him. She only acted that way because she was afraid for Hanners. She might stick up for her friends, but when it comes to her own well being, Dora acts a lot like a deer in the headlights.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:09 »

aah, sorry, misread your previous post.

When does Dora  act like a deer in the headlights? From what I could see she is pretty consistent about calling Sven out on (what she perceives as) his bullshit, while still maintaining a fair relationship with him, esp. given their history and Dora's anxieties.

What Dora does do *to* Sven is give him a reputation. When he first appeared in the comic most of the cast had a negative opinion of Sven, mostly due to Dora telling them about his playboy ways.

I'm not saying Sven wasn't a playboy, but I think that he was treated poorly by the cast before he had even had a chance to meet them, esp. Faye.

Possibly Dora wanted to keep her social circle and her brother apart?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #85 on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:11 »

would make sense seeing as how girls would only hang out with dora to get to her brother back when she was in high school.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jun 2011, 13:13 »

That's a reasonable assumption given she perceives Sven as the root of all her problems. There's also her control freak tendencies and she can't control Sven. Thus in her mind it was probably a case of, if Sven comes around, he'll take control of her social circle away from her. Thus resulting in more Sven hate and more Dora insecurities.
Quis pater tibi est?

O8h7w

« Reply #87 on: 12 Jun 2011, 15:22 »

This makes a LOT of sense. Sven interacting with her friends is at the very root of her insecurities, as far as we know. Yet. Here's hoping we will see some of Dora's therapy sessions!

However, I'm pretty sure this discussion should be in the other thread, "Why does Dora need therapy?", rather than this one.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jun 2011, 17:33 »

I agree with Blyss; Dora kicks Marten in the nads & says her issues are the problem, then she almost immediately starts dating again?

Quote from: tender

Personally, I saw friction building throughout Marten and Dora's relationship, not only because of Dora's insecurities, but because of Marten's apathy, nonchalance, immaturity, and repressed bitter feelings. There have been many examples throughout the strip, but a notable one that reveals his character is right before the breakup, in 1798: "Now I gotta do the same old stupid song and dance to smooth things over even though this is HER fault." How caring, and so very nice.

Are you forgetting what Dora did to drive a nice, caring boy to this attitude?  Do her high-maintenance needs seem normal to you?  I'm sorry, I would have considered leaving her by that point, and I'm quite tolerant (also apathetic, nonchalant, etc.)  Why SHOULD Marten have to do that same stupid song and dance for her, over and over, anyway?

edit - corrected attribution - sorry!
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 02:06 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jun 2011, 21:17 »

I agree with Blyss; Dora kicks Marten in the nads & says her issues are the problem, then she almost immediately starts dating again?

Personally, I saw friction building throughout Marten and Dora's relationship, not only because of Dora's insecurities, but because of Marten's apathy, nonchalance, immaturity, and repressed bitter feelings. There have been many examples throughout the strip, but a notable one that reveals his character is right before the breakup, in 1798: "Now I gotta do the same old stupid song and dance to smooth things over even though this is HER fault." How caring, and so very nice.

Are you forgetting what Dora did to drive a nice, caring boy to this attitude?  Do her high-maintenance needs seem normal to you?  I'm sorry, I would have considered leaving her by that point, and I'm quite tolerant (also apathetic, nonchalant, etc.)  Why SHOULD Marten have to do that same stupid song and dance for her, over and over, anyway?

Somehow you deleted out to attribute that quote to me. Which is, something I would definitely not say.

O8h7w

« Reply #90 on: 13 Jun 2011, 00:55 »

I would hardly call 6 - 8 weeks immediately, but I do agree it is too soon. However, I base that on the fact that she hasn't spoken to Marten and sorted out those loose ends yet, not the amount of time.

Thiefree

• mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #91 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:38 »

No way in hell.

Don't shit where you eat, don't dip your pen in company ink, etc., etc.

Thiiiiis

Mind you, I'd throw the same argument at Tai.

I've come to distrust relationships between friends / coworkers so much over the past year that I think maybe total strangers that you know and trust implicitly is the only way to go.

QUANDARY.

cat_rant

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:29 »

In the office so can't link to Utube but does anyone know that song Creep by Lonely Island?

Yes Faye just called Jim a creep. I agree with her - he came across creepy in past encounters. What are the chances that they will end up venting at each other over failed relationships on this dinner date? And then Jim giving Marten the evil eye when he is in TSB? I think that would be suitably awkward and juicy.  :evil:
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 11:24 by cat_rant »
Um? Is anyone making coffee?

Stephen

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jun 2011, 12:07 »

That is a good point. The chance they will vent their frustrations. This can create a false connection between people, a feeling of closeness that does not really exist. If such a thing occurs between two people a real connection usually doesn't form. If neither of them meant to create this sort of connection then it can explode at the end but the best case scenario is they realize they aren't interested and end it. It may be that she had a false connection with Marten as he was a passive and non-threatening yet (in her eyes) handsome and trustworthy. Then again it may have been a false interruption (which I just made up) in a real connection. This is only being mentioned as possibility though, as the worst case scenario I envision of them connecting, a repeat of what happened with Marten because she was ready and fooled herself. Then she's back to before square one. It looks like she was contemplating if she was ready to start dating again in the previous strip with Tai.

I actually have to argue against my own point here, though. We don't know much about Jim and therefore don't know what kind of a person he is. He may be one of those jerks that Dora usually goes for in which case any venting is a trap. I've been in a relationship with someone who did just that. She'd make confessions about bad experiences and past mistakes, badmouth the people who hurt you in the past, and then when she was done using you... People like that don't know they're doing it and are very good at convincing you that it is your fault.

I don't think that she should date Tai as Tai really only seems interested in a physical relationship with Dora. Just look at when she helped them move. Instant lebido mode. She even went so far as to try and get Faye into it. And THAT is your happy thought for the day.  :evil:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jun 2011, 12:32 »

That's a good third post. Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Baeronvonbleat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jun 2011, 14:17 »

Known qualities of Jim:

Divorced - Messy - Involving high levels of negotiation, lawyer fired.
Quick Mover - From what we can tell, this is the third time he's talked with Dora and he's suggesting a date.
Unprofessional - While I don't entirely buy into the don't date where you work philosophy, you certainly don't start dating someone you just started a business deal with.

I think it's been discussed that Dora had insecurities regarding Marten's feelings towards Faye, and her insecurities don't really factor anywhere into being able to handle an ex-wife.  I think it's a mistake all around, but it's also a meaningful opportunity to fail, and bite Dora in the ass, and have her grow as a person.

O8h7w

« Reply #96 on: 13 Jun 2011, 14:40 »

Known qualities of Jim:

Divorced - Messy - Involving high levels of negotiation, lawyer fired.
Quick Mover - From what we can tell, this is the third time he's talked with Dora and he's suggesting a date.
Unprofessional - While I don't entirely buy into the don't date where you work philosophy, you certainly don't start dating someone you just started a business deal with.

I think it's been discussed that Dora had insecurities regarding Marten's feelings towards Faye, and her insecurities don't really factor anywhere into being able to handle an ex-wife.  I think it's a mistake all around, but it's also a meaningful opportunity to fail, and bite Dora in the ass, and have her grow as a person.

Two of your three points goes extinct if Jim meant this as a business date, on the other hand we can in that case "Socially clumsy" or perhaps even "Socially unadjusted".

I won't say misadjusted, since I am somewhere in that region myself - and I can assure you all, there was no one that learned me wrong, I just haven't learned yet although I have already lived more than 20 years. One might argue I'm a little slow to pick things like that up  :mrgreen:

Tiogyr

« Reply #97 on: 13 Jun 2011, 18:08 »

Something about the idea of someone seriously thinking asking a woman out after a few conversations with her (one of which was at least long enough to hammer out a formal business contract) is "moving fast" strikes me as hilarious.

If you're both single and you're interested, why not ask her out? What is the worst possible outcome considering that you are already not dating her? You continue not dating? Sheesh, what loss, oh horror!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #98 on: 13 Jun 2011, 20:47 »

What is the worst possible outcome considering that you are already not dating her? You continue not dating? Sheesh, what loss, oh horror!

Depends on the other person.  If she rejects you immediately, perhaps with scorn, it would make future business dealings awkward, at best.  If thing go well for a bit, then go south, same problem.  Possible end of business deal.  If there's a misunderstanding over the type of dinner date this is, that could be just laughed off, no harm, no foul. 

Of course, if he's a jerk/creep, most of the outcomes would not be good or harmless. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tiogyr

« Reply #99 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:16 »

The part of my post you quoted was addressed to real life and the kind of person that thinks asking a woman out after only talking to her a handful of times prior is "moving too fast", it had nothing to do with Dora's fictional life.

Also, again, a contract has been drawn up with regard to the business deal. If the date goes shitty neither one of them is required to deal directly with the other to uphold the contract (they each have underlings they can delegate deliveries to, remember?).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up