THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faye's Freudian slip?  (Read 9564 times)

Elfa

• Not quite a lurker
Faye's Freudian slip?
« on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:02 »

in the last caption of #1943, while attempting to say boyfriend after 3 failed attempts, while the first 3 were gibberish, the final was boyfling.

Was this simply another failed attempt or a revelation of how Faye really feels about her relationship?  Does this mean future trouble further down the road for them if she's only "flinging" and he wants something more real?  Does this mean a possible future is still probable for Faye and Marten and if that happens, would it cause the sorts of issues that Sitcoms face when they finally get two love interests together and so much of the motivation for watching is destroyed when the tension and waiting is gone?

Also, pie, evil weight gain apparatus or fulfiller of pastry fantasies?
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2011, 15:48 by Elfa »

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
Re: Faye's Freudian slip?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:21 »

Personally, I just think it was to set up the joke for Raven.

Sometimes... its best not to overthink things too much.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:23 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:41 »

Also, pie, evil weight gain apparatus or fulfiller of pastry fantasies?

Either way, I vote in favor of pie. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Elfa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:48 »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:49 »

Don't forget, the first time USS Angusprise seriously  tried to enter orbit around Peach Pugnacious I, the boy got flung pretty good.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:56 »

So he literally is  her boyfling!

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:07 »

I don't know if there's any meaning to the term 'boyfling', but I do believe that her reluctance to say the word means she's not really in love. This has been a comfortable and pleasant thing for her, but I don't think she wants it to get serious. Maybe at first she thought she would want that, but now I'm betting she's just enjoying the phsyical aspects and the  companionship without the desire for a deeper relationship.

Of course none of this means she would ever get with Marten. Ship sailed, sank, lost forever.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2011, 06:04 »

Its not him asking her to say "I love you", its "boyfriend". Two different ideas. The last proper boyfriend she had ditched her after her father died. The last guy she shacked up with was Sven. You can see why it might be a little difficult for her to say boyfriend.

Elfa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2011, 06:53 »

I don't know if there's any meaning to the term 'boyfling', but I do believe that her reluctance to say the word means she's not really in love. This has been a comfortable and pleasant thing for her, but I don't think she wants it to get serious. Maybe at first she thought she would want that, but now I'm betting she's just enjoying the phsyical aspects and the  companionship without the desire for a deeper relationship.

Of course none of this means she would ever get with Marten. Ship sailed, sank, lost forever.

I DO NOT share that pessimistic view.  I believe Marten and Faye still have a chance or I'd cry in my coffee. :wink:

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:23 »

I DO NOT share that pessimistic view.  I believe Marten and Faye still have a chance or I'd cry in my coffee. :wink:

Jeph has said repeatedly that the ship is sailed and it isn't going to happen. I suggest you go make some coffee so you have some to cry in.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:59 »

I agree it was just to set up the Raven joke.

Elfa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:30 »

I love Raven jokes.

Jeph has said repeatedly that the ship is sailed and it isn't going to happen. I suggest you go make some coffee so you have some to cry in.

Sure but if Jeph's proven anything in QC, it's that he can change his mind at any time, so my hopes will still hold on.

O8h7w

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Read the first 1600 strips in two weeks :P
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:57 »

Sure but if Jeph's proven anything in QC, it's that he can change his mind at any time, so my hopes will still hold on.

Well, Jeph has proven that the comic is driven more by the characters than the author. And Marten thinks like this, and Faye thinks like this.
QC forums: Rorschach test of the internet.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:59 »

Maybe she just hates the term boyfriend. I do. Fortunately, it doesn't exist in my language.

But actually, for once, I didn't think about it much because I was distracted by being happy about Raven being funny. Maybe I should go do that now.

Also, cake.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2011, 13:26 »

I love Raven jokes.
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

DAMN YOU LEWIS CARROLL!!! YOU BASTARD!!!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2011, 14:55 »

Lewis Carroll?! What about Edgar Allen Poe?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2011, 17:17 »

It's nevar with the wrong end put in front, of course.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:51 »

They both have feathers.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mike837go

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:55 »

They both have feathers.

That's "They both have inky quills".

I'd also like to posit that Fay's Freudian slip was more of a Freudian face-plant. Four tries and she still couldn't do it.

A Freudian slip is ususally only a single word or short phrase that the utterer can fix quickly. This one was way beyond the bounds of that definition.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2011, 05:58 by mike837go »
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2011, 13:43 »

'Boyfling'? Maybe she IS in denial about being tied to someone, but not because she doesn't care. She was also in denial about her vibing with Marten. Don't mean she don't like him, just scared shitless.

But why? What makes them so very right for each other?
(Not a rhetorical question.)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2011, 16:08 »

Some would argue (including myself) that it's simply because they are the closest of friends.  Others will say that a good friendship can easily be ruined by turning it into a sexual relationship, and that can often be true, but in a friendship like theirs, the level of trust is well beyond what the usual friendship carries.  And that's the kind of friendship that can turn into a relationship that stands the test of time. 

I know.  I married my best friend.  We've just celebrated 25 years of headache, heartache and love last month.  We've fought, but we also work hard to make it work.  We've broken each other's trust (more than once), and rebuilt it. 

Because we can. 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2011, 21:25 »

Carl-E, not sure if you're talking about Faye-Angus (they can certainly bicker like old friends) or Faye-Marten, but I like the way you think. Also, my congratulations and deepest respect to you and your best friend.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2011, 23:04 »

Thanks, DSL.  I was actually responding to NotAwesomeAnymore's question as to why Elpha has the opinion that Marten and Faye would be good together.  And, while I've always been an Angus fan and a proponent of how good Angus would be for Faye, I can still recognize that no one, not even Angus, can be as good a friend to Faye as Marten has been.  To the point that, when freaking out about Angus, Faye turned to him.  I think she would have done that even if they hadn't been in the same apartment. 

Of course, she would have been wearing pants in that case. 

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2011, 00:29 »

I think Marten and Faye shippers should actually appreciate Angus more because his relationship with Faye makes the possibility of Marten and Faye ending up together more likely.

Think about it, Angus is Faye's first serious relationship since her dad died (not counting Sven because whatever that was, serious it was not.) That means it's a strong possibility that it will end in a flaming nuclear trainwreck. If Marten and Faye are your OTP, do you really want to have to dig Marten's charred (metaphorical) corpse out from under a radioactive locomotive? Having a relationship with Angus now means that Faye will grow emotionally and be more able to involve herself in something down the road if Things don't work out with Angus.

Now.

I am not a Faye/Marten shipper*. I think that ship has sailed. And I do not think that there is any particular reason for Faye and Angus not to last, but most relationships don't. Dan Savage says that all relationships fail until one doesn't. Maybe Faye and Marten would be comfortable together in a relationship, but I kinda see that as somewhat a fall back position for the two of them. The old "If we're not married by the time we're X years old let's marry each other." situation.

The way I see it now, I beleive it's equally likely that Faye will end up with Angus, Marten, Sven, someone who hasn't been seen yet, or no one at all.

*Because that would mean that Marten won't be available when Dora finally straigtens out her issues and comes running back to him. Also, it will be tough to adjust to a QC universe in which pigs fly, Sara has a fleshed out back story and Hannelore gets married and has a boatload of kids.**

**It was hard coming up with three examples of "impossible things that could never happen" because so many things that were previously believed impossible in QC have actually happened***

***Pizza Girl and Raven returning, for example****

**** It's asterisks all the way down...
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2011, 00:58 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2011, 06:24 »

Akronnick, my sentiments exactly.  I was just thrust into the sudden realization of why  those shippers are still waiting for the boat to sail.  It was a personal realization, as well. 
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2011, 00:20 by Carl-E »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2011, 16:44 »

The Rule of Funny suggests that Faye won't break up with Angus until after Marten has already hooked up with another girl.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: [1]   Go Up