THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 03:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 3886 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Podcasts
« on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:55 »

I've recently started using my MP3 player again, and also downloaded a couple of audiobooks onto my Kindle, and it's reminded me that podcasts exist. So far I've stuck to the BBC - Radio 3's Arts & Ideas, Radio Ulster's The Book Programme, Desert Island Discs, Play of the Week, Women's Hour and Radio Four Thought.

Which podcasts do you listen to? What would you recommend? When do you listen to them?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2011, 06:19 »

I don't really have patience for podcasts, dunno why, cause I always find them interesting when they're on, just never get around to listening to them on my own.

But when I do: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, How Stuff Works, and Stuff You Missed In History Class are all really good, fun, educational podcasts.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2011, 21:22 »

HBO releases the audio of Real Time With Bill Maher. If you hate having to sit in front of a TV like I do, it's pretty handy. I also listen to Ardent Atheist. It's pretty cool if that's your deal.

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:55 »

i listen to the hawpcast.  mostly it's video games and doctor who. it's anthony and ashly burch (brother and sister).  they make an internet show (hey ash wahtcha playin) that makes fun of video games and whatnot.  pretty much the only podcast i listen to.  i tried various other video game and webcomic podcasts but none of them really kept my interest.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:20 »

Radiolab (which is why I started a thread about it).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:24 »

The History of Rome

More interesting in the long run than I expected.  Actually, I think I was pointed to it by this forum in the first place...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2011, 13:06 »

I've been downloading the free Yale and Harvard courses through iTunesU, lately. There's some pretty interesting stuff in there (the Yale course on the American Civil War is really well done and doesn't have any of that bullshit Lost Causer garbage in it that romanticizes the South).

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2011, 14:45 »

I suppose I ought to mention that the Oxford University stuff on iTunes is said to get really good ratings - but I know nothing more than that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2011, 20:16 »

My friend makes one. It's....ok. Especially if you like comic books.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2011, 18:32 »

The History of Rome

More interesting in the long run than I expected.  Actually, I think I was pointed to it by this forum in the first place...

That might've been me, I've listened to the whole series something like six or seven times through now (150+ episodes and counting, currently coming to the end of Constantine's reign). Such a fantastically straightforward approach to history podcasting, it's a shame there aren't equivalent podcasts for other historical subjects (I'm having a hell of a time trying to find something for Greece, the best thing I could find being this series of Yale lectures. also available on iTunes U)

EDIT: That wasn't a very helpful post! Aside from the History of Rome the only other podcasts I listen to on the reg are comedy podcasts, namely:
  • WTF With Marc Maron: You may have heard of this one, kinda washed-up stand-up comedy veteran does long-form interviews with comedians which range from interestingly cerebral conversations on the process of making comedy to deeply personal and confessional, and oftentimes all of the above. I'd honestly recommend this podcast to anyone, Maron always gets fascinating stuff out of his subjects, regardless of who they are.
  • The Pod F. Tompcast: An actual "comedy" podcast, Paul F. Tompkins strings together recurring segments, excerpts from his live variety show, and a regular call from Jen Kirkman with absurd, stream-of-consciousness rambles.
  • How Did This Get Made?: Paul Scheer from Human Giant talks horrible, shitty cinema with his friends. Nicolas Cage films feature heavily. Entertaining even if you haven't seen the movies in question
  • Best Show Gems: A fortnightly "best of" of Tom Scharpling's Best Show on WFMU, usually featuring a call from Jon Wurster playing some bizarre, delusional idiot who will eventually threaten to kill Tom. Great if you don't have three hours every week to listen to the full Best Show podcast (if you do though, you probably should listen to the full show)
  • Onion Radio News: Little 30 second bitlets of trademark Onion weirdness, the finest in fake news
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2011, 18:59 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2011, 01:22 »

short form fiction:
Escape Pod (sci fi)
Pseudopod (horror)
PodCastle (fantasy)

science & skepticism:
Skepticality