THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should Dora go out with Jim?  (Read 53474 times)

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
Re: Should Dora go out with Jim?
« Reply #200 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:03 »

cool, interesting people like Marigold

Yeah, I was kind of with you on the "Faye is kind of a bitch" thing, but come on. Marigold a cool, interesting person? Really?

She's a closet dwelling, Yaoi/Hentai collecting MMO nerd. That's pretty much the exact opposite of cool and interesting.

That's your opinion.I actually like nerds. And yaoi... : ) So she's pretty awesome to me. Don't forget Harry Potter.  :wink:

I actually don't bring my hatred of Faye into every discussion, but yes, I will mention it. If people have a problem with that, oh well.

Carl-E, I understand what you're trying to do, but I've read through the entire comic. My opinion stands. Nothing Faye could do at this point would make me even feel neutral toward her.
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #201 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:30 »

Furthermore, I feel like Marten & Dora's relationship troubles are being blamed entirely on Dora.

Nah, both Marten and Dora are portrayed as incredibly immature people, neither of which should attempt a relationship at all until they get their heads on straight.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #202 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:38 »

What is the significance of a relationship really? I feel like some people see it as a point of stagnation in an person's emotional growth. I think relationships teach you more about yourself than the other person. Obviously sometimes it gets terrible, with cases of abuse, but relationships are so common that they can't always be these critically unstable masses resulting in deadly explosions. Even 13-year-olds manage to have them.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #203 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:15 »

I think relationships teach you more about yourself than the other person.

yes!!

Not to mention, all of the "growth" that happens when one is single doesn't necessarily get carried over once a relationship begins. Sometimes the excitement of a new relationship makes us temporarily blinded to everything except "woohoo!". Another upside to therapy while in a relationship? Putting the theories into practice.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #204 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:24 »

Hmm - I like Marigold as much as anyone (bring her back, Jeph! We miss Marigold!)... but anyone who thinks she's "cool" is using the word to mean something completely different from what I think it means.

Hmm. Okay. Thanks for sharing that with us.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #205 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:37 »

I'm still working on de-intensifying my negative feelings toward some people in real life and am amazed at the froth some folks can work themselves into over a fictional character. I'd say it's depressing, but I don't want to give you that much credit.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #206 on: 24 Jun 2011, 14:09 »

Carl-E, I understand what you're trying to do

Then my work here is done! 

:police:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #207 on: 24 Jun 2011, 14:24 »

...but I still disagree with you. I understand that you're trying to lessen my feelings of disdain for Faye in some way, and it's not going to happen.

I see absolutely nothing good in her, at all. As far as I'm concerned she's a completely useless character.

Yeah, I'm getting mad over a fictional character, but I wouldn't get this mad if bitches like her didn't actually exist in real life. They do, and they make the world shittier for being in it.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #208 on: 24 Jun 2011, 15:46 »

Hmm - I like Marigold as much as anyone (bring her back, Jeph! We miss Marigold!)... but anyone who thinks she's "cool" is using the word to mean something completely different from what I think it means.

I'd rather be friends with a somewhat weird, shy person than some douche or bully, which is what makes Marigold alright.  She's not popularity "cool", but she's a good person "cool". As for Faye, she does care about her firends, but then some days she just...doesn't.  Some days are all about Faye and her having fun with someone at their expense or being angry.  They need to sit her down and tell her to chill the fuck out and stop threatening to attack everyone or messing with people for no reason.  That shtick has gotten old, I know I wouldn't put up with it.

I'm still working on de-intensifying my negative feelings toward some people in real life and am amazed at the froth some folks can work themselves into over a fictional character. I'd say it's depressing, but I don't want to give you that much credit.

I'm not sure what's more depressing, that you're so robotic that you can't get emotionally invested in a character when you read a book or watch a movie, or that you insult people for getting emotionally invested in a fictional character.  You can have your opinions but don't jump into an forum where everyone discusses characters and declare everyone lame for doing so.  Note that a lot of characters remind people of real-life people, hence enhanced emotions of anger, sadness, or happiness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #209 on: 24 Jun 2011, 17:12 »

Faye didn't just call Hannelore "crazy lady", she said "fellow crazy lady". Isn't that different? Would a total bitch have admitted to needing a therapist?

(moderator)
This thread is moving in the wrong direction. Don't get personal.
(/moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #210 on: 24 Jun 2011, 17:26 »

Faye didn't just call Hannelore "crazy lady", she said "fellow crazy lady". Isn't that different? Would a total bitch have admitted to needing a therapist?

(moderator)
This thread is moving in the wrong direction. Don't get personal.
(/moderator)

No, it's not different, and in some cases, yes.

I am pretty sure I have not personally attacked anyone, but if I do, I'd appreciate knowing.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #211 on: 24 Jun 2011, 17:34 »

It's self depreciating but it's still an insult.  I personally wouldn't want someone calling me crazy just because they call themselves crazy.  Fayes not a total bitch, just mean sometimes.  It's likely more related to immaturity than anything.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #212 on: 24 Jun 2011, 18:14 »

Apparently Faye has put her "spell" on a lot of people here, since so many jump to defend her.

I am not trying to attack anyone personally but I can't help noticing the people who excuse Faye's actions are male (and therefore not victims in that way of the real life Fayes) and older (forgotten what it feels like).

I am actually angrier at her for how she treats other women than her actions toward Marten, despicable though those may have been.

annietiger

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #213 on: 24 Jun 2011, 18:23 »

No, Faye's not a lovable puppy but she is like a panda bear -- very cute and endearing but with RAZOR SHARP CLAWS that she uses whenever she feels the need.

Faye exhibits a lot of traits of traumatic event survivors. I think she's gotten better. She's in a lot of internal pain that is hard to process, even on a subconscious level. I think when she lashes out, she is feeling more pain that she can handle at that moment. Plus, she's naturally sassy sooo.

I agree to an extent. Faye's abrasive nature can be a bit grating at times, but I doubt anyone of the cast would remain in her company or as her friend if they felt she really was all bad. We've all got positive and negative traits!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #214 on: 24 Jun 2011, 19:22 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #215 on: 24 Jun 2011, 19:50 »

Interesting 'Guest Strip' Birthday Present.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #216 on: 24 Jun 2011, 20:55 »

Ugh, what a bitch Faye is.
And this is the exact moment this thread got completely derailed, and no longer talks about Jim or Dora, much less their dating.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #217 on: 24 Jun 2011, 22:20 »

If Dora was so insecure about Marten's ex-nothing, how is she going to cope with an ex-wife?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #218 on: 24 Jun 2011, 22:57 »

Well, as one who has both an ex-nothing and an ex-wife, I can say they are very different (and not varying degrees of the same), and I'm not sure which would be more difficult to deal with for a potential girlfriend. On the one hand an ex-nothing represents something that still has possibility, even if neither party wishes to pursue that possibility. An ex-wife on the other hand represents someone you pledged your entire life to, and then it didn't work out. While it's very easy for that flame to rekindle, it's much more likely that due to the long drawn out process that is divorce, your rational mind will overtake your impulsive thoughts, and nothing is likely to happen.

I can see how it would be intimidating though to know that there's someone else out there that your potential SO cared enough about to commit to marriage. That might mess with my head a little.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #219 on: 25 Jun 2011, 00:16 »

I can't help noticing the people who excuse Faye's actions are male (and therefore not victims in that way of the real life Fayes) and older (forgotten what it feels like).

I can't do anything about being male; but being older isn't a matter of forgetting the past (at a late stage the present  may become an issue).  What you do get with age is accumulated experience, and maybe a bit more perspective on things; don't be too quick to knock it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #220 on: 25 Jun 2011, 00:30 »

I am pretty sure I have not personally attacked anyone, but if I do, I'd appreciate knowing.

I don't think so either.  But some messages in a couple of threads (not only yours) have been somewhat uncivil in a more generic way.  Two mods have noted this, and my finger hovered over a lock button yesterday.

I suppose it's fair to note that I view Jeph's twitter comment as a bit of a challenge to show that this forum can be kept behaving reasonably, so I'm being a bit strict at present in applying the rules.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #221 on: 25 Jun 2011, 00:57 »

...but I still disagree with you. I understand that you're trying to lessen my feelings of disdain for Faye in some way, and it's not going to happen.

I see absolutely nothing good in her, at all. As far as I'm concerned she's a completely useless character.

Yeah, I'm getting mad over a fictional character, but I wouldn't get this mad if bitches like her didn't actually exist in real life. They do, and they make the world shittier for being in it.

I wasn't so much trying to lessen your disdain, but rather to get you to see the other side of the Faye coin.  Since you steadfastly refuse to even try, my work is done. 

I never said anything about it being successful...

Oh, and yes I'm male, and older (but not as old as pwhodges ;)).  And no, I've not forgotten what it was like to be a tortured nerd through school.  That's why I don't go to reunions - I have friends and family, I don't need to revisit the dicks, bitches and assholes I went to school with.  Oddly enough, a few found my facebook account and implored me to come to our umptieth reunion.  Seems they'd grown a conscience and wanted to make amends.  I began to write one of them back that, had any of them bothered to treat me as a human, I would have considered it. 

Then I deleted the letter.  Spite gets you nowhere.  I thanked them for thinking of me, but no, I was not interested in attending, and left it at that. 

I sincerely hope that you'll get past your own tormentors successfully.  Most of mine were just bored, cruel kids driven by peer pressure.  Some may have been like Faye, lashing out against an unfair world, dealing with deep emotional scars, but I doubt it.  Faye's more than just a grown-up bully, and we have the rare opportunity to see that, something we never get in real life.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #222 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:18 »

I can't help noticing the people who excuse Faye's actions are male (and therefore not victims in that way of the real life Fayes) and older (forgotten what it feels like).

I'm a teenage girl  :| And I've been a victim, of people with some qualities similar to Faye's, but not of Fayes. I also get how much it sucks that the quiet person in the media is always just portrayed as 'the quiet person', since you mentioned Marigold.
If I met Faye in real life (this is so weird) she would make me feel anxious because I wouldn't know how to handle her and I would feel like her treatment of me was because I wasn't 'cool enough'. But after a while it would develop into,"That's just Faye" and I wouldn't take it personally. The thing that I think is different about her is she's not a 'pretty girl' nor is she that arrogant 'smart girl' who tries to make people feel stupid. No malice, nothing directed at specific people, no hidden agendas. Sometimes I say tactless things without thinking.  I'm not physically violent, but I have tendency to shoot nasty looks when I'm annoyed. I actually can't control this stuff! When I try to explain, I get the "BUT STILL, you should have paid more attention." I think you don't excuse Faye's behaviour because you don't realise you are a lot more socially apt than she is in that way. You already know how to be nice (and it is totes a skill that you learn and it doesn't always make you a more moral person) and it comes easily to you. Unlike others who struggle to control their feelings and see Faye as an exaggerated version of their problem. I hope nobody like you has ever been a victim of mine.

(I'm sorry! I meant for that to only be two lines! If this means nothing to you, fan, then you don't have to respond.)

If Dora was so insecure about Marten's ex-nothing, how is she going to cope with an ex-wife?
Well, as one who has both an ex-nothing and an ex-wife, I can say they are very different (and not varying degrees of the same), and I'm not sure which would be more difficult to deal with for a potential girlfriend. On the one hand an ex-nothing represents something that still has possibility, even if neither party wishes to pursue that possibility. An ex-wife on the other hand represents someone you pledged your entire life to, and then it didn't work out. While it's very easy for that flame to rekindle, it's much more likely that due to the long drawn out process that is divorce, your rational mind will overtake your impulsive thoughts, and nothing is likely to happen.

I can see how it would be intimidating though to know that there's someone else out there that your potential SO cared enough about to commit to marriage. That might mess with my head a little.

Ex-nothing can be so-o-o-ooo much worse than ex-something! And it's the worst that it gets sort of dismissed as a non-problem because two people never banged. It's probably the only thing I can really relate to Dora with. When people (at least, immature people) are crushing on someone their vision of the relationship is perfect. There are no fights, any differences in opinion are just the palatable ones, the potential SO is supportive about everything etc. But with relationships, reality comes in and ruins everything. I dated a guy who was still very close with an ex-nothing.Steve sums up the problem in a way that sounds more sane than if Dora would've said it. It was like, every time I had a fight with that guy or I messed up, I would think,"Ugh, I bet this never happened in the pretend relationship he had in his head with X!" and that's what I felt I was competing with. With a real ex, you know they had their own problems and it ended because of a realistic reason. I either just made a lot of sense, or exposed myself as a total wacko.

I don't know, though, the way Dora's brain works. But hopefully Jim isn't living with his ex-wife. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #223 on: 25 Jun 2011, 05:36 »

I can't help but think of something along the lines of Dora's head exploding.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #224 on: 25 Jun 2011, 05:59 »

Well, as one who has both an ex-nothing and an ex-wife, I can say they are very different (and not varying degrees of the same), and I'm not sure which would be more difficult to deal with for a potential girlfriend...

Ex-nothing can be so-o-o-ooo much worse than ex-something! And it's the worst that it gets sort of dismissed as a non-problem because two people never banged. It's probably the only thing I can really relate to Dora with. When people (at least, immature people) are crushing on someone their vision of the relationship is perfect. There are no fights, any differences in opinion are just the palatable ones, the potential SO is supportive about everything etc. But with relationships, reality comes in and ruins everything. I dated a guy who was still very close with an ex-nothing.Steve sums up the problem in a way that sounds more sane than if Dora would've said it. It was like, every time I had a fight with that guy or I messed up, I would think,"Ugh, I bet this never happened in the pretend relationship he had in his head with X!" and that's what I felt I was competing with. With a real ex, you know they had their own problems and it ended because of a realistic reason. I either just made a lot of sense, or exposed myself as a total wacko.

Excellent analysis, and a great catch on the comic!  I never related Steve's problem with Dave to Dora's issue with Faye, but damn, that's a close parallel! 

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #225 on: 25 Jun 2011, 17:31 »

I can be like Faye in some ways, but I'm nowhere near as relentless as she is, and I do it only to people who deserve it.

I mean I can recall times when I've been mean, but I've definitely been the victim of other people's meanness more than I've been the one being mean.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Marten had been like "No, I barely know you...but I can give you the number to a homeless shelter."

sumi

« Reply #226 on: 26 Jun 2011, 03:40 »

I... can't... resist!

Sorry, I have a habit of throwing myself in between - and never get out of the middle without some bruises here and there. The people here are not trying to convince you to love Faye. They are just trying to let you see the other side. "Hate" is a pretty strong word. People can understand why you dislike Faye. They probably even agree with you to a small degree. But they can't understand the hatred. So they are distinctly trying to "defend" Faye. That happens when people have really strong opinions. Like, when my boyfriend is fighting (verbally) with someone... I will try to get between them... And I would tell my boyfriend "what the other one really wants to say is THIS... you have to understand him a little!" and maybe a few minutes later i would talk to the other one, telling him "what the other guy really meant is THIS... you have to understand him a little!" (I usually won't tell right at the beginning that "the other guy" is my boyfriend - mostly that hardens the opinion right at the beginning) And there I am in the middle... so my boyfriend is telling me "you are ALWAYS taking the other side" and the other guy is telling me "i CAN'T understand, why you are defending such a dig!" aw I can't help it! (And yeah - this did happen quite a lot)
Basically that's what's happening here. Nobody really trys to defend Faye. None trys to change your opinion to the opposite. They just want to soften it a little. Cause there are no purely "good" people an "evil" people.

And then, i wanted to hit you for this comment:
I can be like Faye in some ways, but I'm nowhere near as relentless as she is, and I do it only to people who deserve it.
Did you ever listen to the people you apparently hate most? That's mainly the reason they use to pick on people. "If they just behaved differently I wouldn't", "If she didn't do this and that I wouldn't" "If she wasn't so shut in I wouldn't" "If she didn't always overreact" They just measure who "deserves" it. "yeah, but I only do that to the REALLY EVIL ones" Of course... "If she wasn't so mean to everyone I wouldn't" It's the same... at least for the people who are picked on.

Anyway... Hi, I'm new here :) I only found QC a few months ago, but I read through all the strips in the last few weeks!
I think it IS a little early for Dora to meet Jim. On the other hand, if she said no, that would have meant "definitely" no, because it was rather spontaneous and there is no "i need some more time". Either a date or the opportunity is gone. So in my opinion it's okay ;) Anyway I'm really looking forward to the next strips. It's kind of hard if you can read 100 a day if you want and now have to settle down for one a day  :cry:

sumi

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #227 on: 26 Jun 2011, 04:15 »

That was quite a first post. Fairly well put though. I know what you mean about the reading all at once, then suddenly stuck with only 5 a week, including guest strips, etc.

I had kind of wanted to say something about that comment as well, but instead I just left that connection in my head, and decided it wasn't worth arguing about. After all, the comic character aren't even real.

I would disagree with one thing. I think if Dora had responded "I just got out of a fairly serious relationship, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to go out," or however that would best be put, I think it would have left the option open for the future. I'm kind of glad she agreed to it though, because so far Jim is becoming one of my favorite new characters, just from an entertainment perspective, and we wouldn't necessarily have gotten to see this side of him (or much of him at all) had this story arc not come about.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2011, 05:41 by wrwight »

Wedley

• Not quite a lurker
    • Sigh Five
« Reply #228 on: 26 Jun 2011, 05:20 »

Hmmm...

This thread has taken a really interesting turn! I mean that in a purely anthropological sense.
SighFive.com - my frequently NSFW comic

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #229 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:24 »

This thread is becoming a little too much about the forumites themselves, rather than the QC characters; it has also got largely off the subject of its title.  So I'm closing it now; there will surely be plenty more to discuss shortly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up