THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic  (Read 57752 times)

sterlingdragon

• Emoticontraindication
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
« on: 07 Jul 2011, 17:22 »

We don't have a MLP thread yet? Why is this?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2011, 18:37 »

Because the combination of those posting who like it, like it ironically, like it post-ironically, like it because it's hipster, don't like it because it's hipster, are indifferent because it's pre-hipster, appreciate it for the anarchist symbology, iconify it for the callback to simpler times in society, watch it because the colors are freakin' fantastic when faded, and those who post because they are Kiefer, would likely melt the server in an orgasmic mass-energy vortex.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2011, 03:04 »

Are we talking about those plastic vaguely-horse-shaped pink and purple things with glittery manes that I played with when I was five and got bored after ten minutes? What am I missing here?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2011, 03:31 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2011, 05:09 »

GET YOUR FUCKING PONY THREADS BACK TO /b/ YOU MOTHERFUCKER.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2011, 05:27 »

Decent show. I like The Regular Show and Adventure Time Better though.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2011, 12:16 »

It's made by Hannah Barbara right? And from that wikipedia article the creators are the people responsible for the Powerpuff girls, so I can't imagine its a bad thing for kids to be watching, but at the same time I grew out of MLP originally when I was about 6 and used to watch reruns of it with my sister.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jul 2011, 14:45 »

I grew up on My Little Pony, playing with the toys and watching the show that was on in the 1990s (My Little Pony Tales, a really dark and awesome series). (I will admit I bought the occasional pony if I found one I liked when I got older.) When I first heard about the new series, I was kinda happy but ignored it, in part because of the crazy fans and also partly because of how I thought it was only on the Internet. Then I realized it was actually on TV. MLP hasn't been on TV since I was 4 (I think they showed reruns for a while after it ended), so I'll admit I thought that was pretty great news. I decided to watch an episode, and it was actually pretty funny and very cute. ^.^ I'll never be too old for My Little Pony--it's always held a special place in my heart.

Right now, the show looks pretty good to me. Television needs more shows like MLP: FiM. Why? It promotes friendship, being kind to others, forgiveness, and learning from your mistakes--and it's still cute and appeals to a large and various audience. It even pokes fun at itself! And I've only seen a few episodes at this point.

Let me put it this way: At least it's better than Hannah Montana.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2011, 18:29 »

I keep hearing that the animation is great, the characterization is wonderful, and the plots are downright brilliant, but I just can't get past the fact that it is a children's show about colorful ponies.

Also shouldn't this be in Entertainment?
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 18:32 by Blue Kitty »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2011, 23:28 »

Well, since you ask, I suppose it should really.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2011, 00:56 »

I keep hearing that the animation is great, the characterization is wonderful, and the plots are downright brilliant, but I just can't get past the fact that it is a children's show about colorful ponies.
From the fifteen minutes I've watched the animation is really good and fluid, other two things not so much. The plot is real grating and some kids wanting magical tramp stamps or something and the characters in writing and vocal characterization are such stereotypes that is became grating real quick.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jul 2011, 20:14 »

From the fifteen minutes I've watched the animation is really good and fluid, other two things not so much. The plot is real grating and some kids wanting magical tramp stamps or something and the characters in writing and vocal characterization are such stereotypes that is became grating real quick.
The little ponies can get pretty annoying. They want to find out what their special talent is, so they make a disaster of everything they touch in order to find it. :/

Even though there are stereotypes, I like how distinctly different the main ponies are. It's easy for kids (and us slightly bigger kids) to keep up with, and it provides enough variety to keep me content.

I've always had an affinity for cartoons and kid's shows, so I guess it seems different to me. To each their own, though! (Although I do recommend trying an episode that doesn't star the brats... "Cutie Mark Crusaders.")

~~~

Also, something wonderful I stumbled across the other day. It really gets at the heart of something I appreciate about the show.
http://strangething.livejournal.com/211870.html

It features the quote "There's more than one way to be a girl." -Lauren Faust (the creator of the show and wife of Craig McCracken)

Quote from: The link
It's a very apt quote, since it points at what makes Rainbow Dash such a breakthrough character: It doesn't matter whether she's gay or not. What's important is that she has the freedom to be what she wants, and her friends accept her. It's a message that kids need to hear more often.

It doesn't make her a one-note character, either. Rainbow clearly loved wearing her Gala dress. She can be a tomboy without being defined by her tomboy-ness.

She's not the only one. Spike bakes cookies. Applejack does the same work as her brother. The show does a lot to challenge gender roles, and is so smooth about it that you hardly notice.

I agree that this is a good message. ^.^ Rarity is also rather girly, but she's not afraid to stand up for her friends. No pony is looked down upon--their friends love them as they are, and nobody is better than anyone(/anypony) else.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:26 »

Someone also pointed out a clip from the show where one of them shouts "Your resistance only makes my little pony harder!", with a frame comparison with the horrible animation that originally had "penis" instead of "pony" in that line over on the SA forums.

The show is full of meme references and other 4chan nonsense, which is why they love it so much, I guess.

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2011, 20:38 »

That's essentially how I feel about it too. I had a friend who loves this show...I just don't see the appeal. Especially the meme references or other 4chan nonsense.
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:19 »

I just watched it for the first time. It is pretty damn good.

It's more worth watching than most of the dross on television these days, anyway. It is a great show for children, but I enjoyed it too (and I don't mean ironically). While it's obviously not the greatest thing I've ever watched, I made it through the whole episode without once thinking 'why am I watching this?' Good script, good voice-acting, good animation, good lessons... what's not to like? It's entertaining; that's what matters.

sterlingdragon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2011, 10:56 »

To those of you who don't see the appeal because you haven't seen the show: Go see the show. It is a good show. Why is it a good show? I honestly have no frickin' idea. It's....adorable and fluffy and happy and OH GOD A FUCKING COCKATRICE WHAT.
"If I ever saw one of them Cocka-thingys face to face, I'd laugh at how silly it was!"
It certainly has 'parental bonuses', although not as prevalent as in olden days cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy. It's well-written, funny, well-animated and downright spooky at times.(Especially 'Party of One'. I damn near shat my pants.)

And I don't know why you keep saying there's meme references. I didn't notice any, anyway.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2011, 14:10 »

I believe the term you're looking for is pop culture references.

The parental bonuses is what makes or breaks shows like this for publicity, and... Wait a minute, are you telling me that Ren & Stimpy was primarily aimed at kids?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2011, 08:08 »

Another thing My Little Pony lovers enjoy, putting it into everything

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 16:26 by Blue Kitty »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2011, 14:08 »

Just like Adventure Time, eh?

Party of One

I just watched that episode. Um, I can see why kids like this, and the moral of the story is nice enough I guess, but I'm absolutely baffled that anyone that isn't literally (not even figuratively) a child could genuinely enjoy it. People say they like it, but it seems to me more like some sort of purposeful discarding of all critical faculties, and it seems really false! I have a really hard time believing that anyone older than eight years could find this scene genuinely spooky or scary.

I agree, the sort of mental breakdown depicted can be unsettling but it's far from scary. Though I can see the appeal of the show; they do a lot of things right. The characters are instantly recognizable and you'd know them by name after one episode (and you gotta love the accents), the visual style is very pleasing, and the themes... well, they're hardly compelling, but if the show has gained such a following, then surely there are episodes that are more interesting than this one? Tell me if you've watched more, I'm curious.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

sterlingdragon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jul 2011, 19:50 »

Party of One

I just watched that episode. Um, I can see why kids like this, and the moral of the story is nice enough I guess, but I'm absolutely baffled that anyone that isn't literally (not even figuratively) a child could genuinely enjoy it. People say they like it, but it seems to me more like some sort of purposeful discarding of all critical faculties, and it seems really false! I have a really hard time believing that anyone older than eight years could find this scene genuinely spooky or scary.
Read this fic. Then rewatch the scene.
Pay attention to the music, too.

sterlingdragon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2011, 12:35 »

Oh no, if you watch one of the better episodes(Dragonshy, the Stare Master, pretty much anything with Fluttershy) you can certainly appreciate it without reading fanfics.

But you'll probably only find that scene creepy if you've read that fanfic.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2011, 03:11 »

Some more thoughts:

• This is now my favorite show
  • Childishness becomes only a minor pique once you're watching
  • The songs are amazing
  • The aforementioned episodes aren't quite the most enjoyable ones, though it comes down to personal preference
  • Sonic Rainboom is one to watch

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 04 Aug 2011, 07:29 »

Not sure how'd you construct a gif animation of that... Oh well, I guess it's just not for everyone. You can't ask more from someone than to try.

Lines

• Awakened
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #25 on: 12 Aug 2011, 14:19 »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2011, 14:05 »

I burned through this series last week. Say what you will about bronies, they actually make it really easy to watch the cartoon. The first season is all up on one dude's youtube account.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:33 »

SERIOUS PONY DiSCUSSION FORUM NEEDS MORE SERIOUS PONY DISCUSSION.

Also, <3 Fluttershy <3.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:38 »

I understand the appeal. I bow my head to one of the few genuinely watchable and thoughtful series on TV these days. But I just don't have the time. (Or a fast enough internet connection. Two sides to the same coin, really.)

Discord, however, has really fueled my creativity for a few days after seeing an episode with him. Crazy design, great gags.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2012, 14:05 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2012, 14:32 »

Someone mentioned the regular show in this topic. I was already watching Adventure time and MLP:FIM... Now I am hooked on that as well! THX :)

Zingoleb

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2012, 18:59 »

I want to like MLP so bad but the fans of it make me leery of actually enjoying it. I've had one friend tell me in no uncertain terms that they have had no interest in sex since they've started obsessively watching MLP and collecting it.  :|

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:17 »

Well, you have avid watcher and you have lunatics. Your friend certainly doesn't seem to fit the former.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2012, 04:44 »

I never understood why fanboys should be any obstacle to enjoy something...

Zingoleb

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2012, 01:26 »

Because it is very frustrating to say "I like [thing!]" and then automatically be categorized into a group of people that you don't like or even necessarily agree with.

If I say, for instance, that I like Rush, I don't want to be categorized with the same group of people who eat, breathe, sleep, fart and fuck to Rush, know every song by heart, and can tell you the most inane details about everything about Rush ever. These people exist. There are far more of these people than there is any right to be, and these people actually repel me from enjoying Rush in any capacity because I link Rush to them and it's a gross connection. I like Rush. They will go on their knees to suck on Neil Peart.

I'm sorry, I'm tired and a little ranty after listening to my ex explain to me (again) how Neil Peart is the best drummer ever. But I hope it explains my point.

Also, furries.

Zingoleb

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2012, 01:01 »

I seem to remember having a point somewhere in that last post. If anyone's seen it, lemme know.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2012, 01:02 »

I got it zingoleb.

Anyway, I play a game where you can shoot people at set times. Ponies and bronies always die first :X

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2012, 18:54 »

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2012, 13:18 »

Because it is very frustrating to say "I like [thing!]" and then automatically be categorized into a group of people that you don't like or even necessarily agree with.

Solution: You just don't talk about it and keep it to yourself :P
I'm a metalhead, I know about the cliche group.. I just choose to not care.

Jeez, I wouldn't listen to half the stuff I listen to if I were to care about the majority of the fans. I still understand your feelings about the subject though.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #39 on: 24 Jan 2012, 14:35 »

I agree. And I know that any person whose opinion I value is not going to judge me on what cartoons I watch. I mean, if you tell someone "I like watching Friendship is Magic" and they respond with "Oh, so I guess you also spend hours styling the hair of those little figurines, then?" I suggest you start wondering why you're even talking to that person.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jan 2012, 14:45 »

^Exactly!

There is no point in even talking to people who suddenly judges you for watching some random ponies.

I watched Powerpuff Girls a lot when I was around 12, I remember I got one scornful look from a classmate but I never liked that dude to begin with so no surprise. It's really cliche to say it... but still: Haters gotta hate.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2012, 00:46 »

I watched this and Adventure time and the regular show because it's fun to watch. If people think you are crazy because of it, just mention crazy shit they do :P

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jan 2012, 09:58 »

With the impressive consistency that these episodes are recorded and uploaded, this makes a good saturday evening after-dinner show.

The latest episode was interesting in that there weren't really any holes to pick in it. The Flim Flam bros. were mercilessly overambitious salesponies, but not really con artists as their name implies; their machine actually works as advertised.  The whole rivalry might have been avoided if the Apples knew how to drive a bargain.

The musical number was also brilliant, wasn't it?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #43 on: 06 Feb 2012, 12:17 »

I just started watching the series. I am not ashamed to say it, but I really like it! But I also really liked the old series and so there's this nice nostalgia factor. But honestly it is actually kind of funny.

Also I'm totally not watching it because someone asked me to be in a cosplay group. Not at all. >_>

(I will be Twilight Sparkle because she's purple and she likes books and I like purple and books.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #44 on: 06 Feb 2012, 12:54 »

Zingoleb

« Reply #45 on: 06 Feb 2012, 17:03 »

DAMMIT. I watched this with my roommates last night and now I'm in love with it. ;-;

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #46 on: 07 Feb 2012, 03:27 »

from the faq
Q: Are there any games?
A: You can chase the purple squirrel. He is animated against a purple background. Click on him to win. The game restarts immediately after each win, only the squirrel knows.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #47 on: 07 Feb 2012, 13:56 »

Okay, I have to ask (ignorant_american_mode=ON)

Where in the world do you FIND this show on US broadcast TV? Is this just Saturday AM stuff that I'm not aware of, or is it on some obscure cable channel that not everyone in the US gets on their Basic Cable?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #48 on: 07 Feb 2012, 14:08 »

Right here!

The rest of us non-ignorant non-americans (ignorant ones as well) have to rely on youtube uploaders. I'd tell you which, but apparently the latest episode has been taken down for a copyright claim again...

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #49 on: 07 Feb 2012, 15:15 »

You still can watch the first episodes in 1080p on youtube!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up