THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THIS week's MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Catching Up On The Porch
- 3 (8.1%)
"I've never really been friends with an ex before."
- 0 (0%)
"I won't have to drag your body out to the old quarry."
- 0 (0%)
Dora makes her entrance!
- 4 (10.8%)
"We saw your friends watching you and thought something interesting was going on."
- 3 (8.1%)
THOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMP
- 3 (8.1%)
"#### OFF I'M BUSY" (oops!)
- 4 (10.8%)
DJ OCDee-Liteful!
- 3 (8.1%)
JUST NOD YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND TO CLICK THINGS
- 7 (18.9%)
Really nice guy looking for a relationship.
- 1 (2.7%)
Casual sex?
- 0 (0%)
Stammering Blushing Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I know, you work with Marten. It'd be weird."
- 2 (5.4%)
"Right." (sad Tai)
- 1 (2.7%)
"sit out here and look all Zen-contented"
- 2 (5.4%)
"...both my legs are asleep."
- 4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)  (Read 108321 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Re: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jul 2011, 08:32 »

The deeper, more meaningful conversations come later. Probably after Dora's therapy starts to kick-in and she can re-evaluate herself and her past relationships more clearly. Right now they are at the civil behavior, no blame tossing, early conversation level. Sitting on a porch at someone's house in the middle of a party is not the deep long talk time or place.

Thank you for this- I think I like this strip more when I consider that it may not be the end of the discussion. Some days I can feel my brain slowly morphing from quasi-casual QC reader into OMGQCWTFJJ insanity when I over-think the strips but then posts like this bring me back to reality  :-P

well, you clearly said everything i wanted to say in a much better way. with people so good at writing their minds in this forum, i shouldnt post at all, just read.

PS: this forum needs a 'like' button.

I'm a writing fanatic (it's the educator in me) but just because someone words something differently doesn't mean that your words aren't just as important  :-D

/fluffy teacherspeak

i concur with the like button! I've actually had moments where I went "Oh! I want to like this....oh wait."
Even more proof that Facebook has infiltrated way too much of my life. Not that i needed any....
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:19 »

I'm slightly disappointed that Dora and Marten didn't talk more seriously about their issues, but that's literally the only complaint I've had for ages.

And it is immediately quashed by the enormous sense of relief I'm feeling that Dora and Marten are back on good terms with each other.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :lol:

For now.  Marten isn't over Dora, not by a longshot. What if Dora went into the party, met a guy, and they ended up exchanging numbers?  Do you think Marten would be rooting her on?

This situation usually happens after breakups.  Both parties say let's just be friends, but as soon as one moves on it gets uneasy real quick.  Let's see if Jeph continues the realism or if Marten somehow stops caring about being with Dora even though, as Dora pointed out, he isn't getting any sleep because of this.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #52 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:42 »

He certainly wasn't comfortable bringing up the date, and seemed relieved to hear that it didn't go anywhere beyond Friendship.  It is  going to take them both a while, and it's good that they'll be able to talk about it on an as needed basis - but no more than that, because Marten still feels how raw it is, and Dora's supressing her raw feelings about it (as usual).  

So yeah, good first steps.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #53 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:43 »

The manatee on codeine?
I still have no idea what this means.  I know what a manatee is, but I don't get how Marten is like one.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #54 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:52 »

Manatees are fairly large, slow moving and slower to react - so slow in fact, that they tend to get cut up by the propellers of fishing boats. 

Now put one on really goooood painkillers. 

The original reference came from Dora in the comic, as a poke at his lack of decisiveness. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #55 on: 11 Jul 2011, 10:09 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #56 on: 11 Jul 2011, 10:14 »

Ah, found it.  I thought that was something the forum made up, I forgot it was from the comic.

Modified: Damn, I found it a while ago, just took a while to hit post :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #57 on: 11 Jul 2011, 10:29 »

I was actually worried it would end up being too drama-ish.. soap opera-ish. I predict at least one "sorry" coming up though. This ain't ovah yet.

Baeronvonbleat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #58 on: 11 Jul 2011, 10:44 »

Didn't like the comic... couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Then I went back and re-read it.  And to clarify, not liking means it's a great story, and I'm bought into the story so much that the realization was unsettling.

Dora and Marten titling each other as "Exes" really creates a clear line that they agree the relationship is gone and past, and they've moved (are moving) on, so I read the comic and for the first time reached the point where I don't see them getting back together  :-(

jacjyd

• Plantmonster
« Reply #59 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:13 »

I'm slightly disappointed that Dora and Marten didn't talk more seriously about their issues, but that's literally the only complaint I've had for ages.

And it is immediately quashed by the enormous sense of relief I'm feeling that Dora and Marten are back on good terms with each other.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :lol:

For now.  Marten isn't over Dora, not by a longshot. What if Dora went into the party, met a guy, and they ended up exchanging numbers?  Do you think Marten would be rooting her on?

This situation usually happens after breakups.  Both parties say let's just be friends, but as soon as one moves on it gets uneasy real quick.  Let's see if Jeph continues the realism or if Marten somehow stops caring about being with Dora even though, as Dora pointed out, he isn't getting any sleep because of this.
Hmm I guess that works...I find that there's a time and place for the meaningful discussion and it's usually at this point, but hey if we're guessing it won't be completely clean anyway I guess there's some more passive-aggressive ex stuff left to fit all of the real talk in! But maybe in QC land it's possible to have clean reconciliation in a few panels of chat.

jacjyd

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:15 »

Dora and Marten titling each other as "Exes" really creates a clear line that they agree the relationship is gone and past, and they've moved (are moving) on, so I read the comic and for the first time reached the point where I don't see them getting back together  :-(

But labeling each other as exes allows for things exes do!  Like things that rhyme with ex!  :-) That's relatable, right?

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #61 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:19 »

Y'know, considering how much is written in the WCDTs about how flawed/warped/twisted/psychotic Marten and Dora both are, it's surprising how maturely they're acting.

Heaven knows I wouldn't be cool about it...

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #62 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:53 »

Very little of what is written about Marten and Dora in the WCDT relates in any way to Maten or Dora.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #63 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:54 »

Very little of what is written about Marten and Dora in the WCDT relates in any way to Maten or Dora.

Who is Maten?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #64 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:56 »

Heaven knows I wouldn't be cool about it...

It actually depends hugely on the precise circumstances as well as your feelings - and the other person.  The variability is nicely shown, for example, in the different behaviours that Scott Pilgrim (in the books) shows towards his four exes: Kim, Envy, Knives, and Lisa (not quite an ex - a bit like Faye, in that respect only).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:03 »

I always wondered about all the rabbits wearing frat logos.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #66 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:06 »

*raises hand*
Umm....Dora? What "old quarry" are you talking about? I don't recall Jeph ever adding one into QC.

Unless Jeph is going to retcon that in later this week.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #67 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:10 »

Well she has to keep it secret, so that they can't find the bodies!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #68 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:17 »

Marten: "So does Dora actually dump all her ex's bodies into the old quarry?"
Sven: "Oh man, I had to help her drag a body there once. Real big one, too heavy for her to lift. Worst night, ever."
Marten: "Er..."
Sven: "I mean the smell! How many assholes did she date!? Anyway, yeah I'd suggest not getting on her bad side."
Later
Marten: "So, we ARE cool, right?"
Dora: "Yeah, why?"
Marten: "Just checking."
I had something witty to put down here but.....

SirDudley

« Reply #69 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:20 »

I will laugh if the quarry is revealed to be the one used for nearly every classic Doctor Who episode.

Tiogyr

« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:38 »

I was thinking more along the lines of the "secret coffee bean roasting process".

I can't be the only person that thought that was the only good part of Fried Green Tomatoes.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:44 »

Wheeler Dealers Volkswagen Beetle.

Just watched it all.  It was actually kinda depressing.  The one I'm getting is in nowhere near as good a shape - lotsa rust.  There's no way I can put that kind of money into it, either...

Time to buy a welder. 

Wheeler Dealers VW Bug to Beach Buggy

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #72 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:47 »

It's probably the same place Faye (and apparently Angus) dump their  victims.

Also, guys, have a little patience before you say you're disappointed. I seriously doubt their conversation is over yet; it's only monday after all.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #73 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:53 »

But Faye herself uses dumpsters.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2011, 12:55 by pwhodges »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #74 on: 11 Jul 2011, 13:00 »

I was thinking more along the lines of the "secret coffee bean roasting process".
I can't be the only person that thought that was the only good part of Fried Green Tomatoes.

"It's made from people! C.o.D. coffee is made from people. She's making the coffee out of people. Next she'll be breeding us like coffee plants for beans! We gotta warn them. We gotta warn them!"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jul 2011, 13:11 »

But labeling each other as exes allows for things exes do!  Like things that rhyme with ex!  :-) That's relatable, right?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SirDudley

« Reply #76 on: 11 Jul 2011, 15:21 »

Well done, good sir.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #77 on: 11 Jul 2011, 15:47 »

For now.  Marten isn't over Dora, not by a longshot. What if Dora went into the party, met a guy, and they ended up exchanging numbers?  Do you think Marten would be rooting her on?

This situation usually happens after breakups.  Both parties say let's just be friends, but as soon as one moves on it gets uneasy real quick.  Let's see if Jeph continues the realism or if Marten somehow stops caring about being with Dora even though, as Dora pointed out, he isn't getting any sleep because of this.

Well, as akronnick pointed out, Marten looks like he's finally starting to relax about the whole break-up, and as Baeron said, they are calling each other exes, or at least Marten is, so it's clear that they're both attempting to move on in their own way. Plus, it's not Marten's place to say whether anyone can or can't date Dora, so I guess if she DID meet some guy or girl (or even Tai) at this party and got their number, he'd be fairly cool with it, especially now that they've had this talk.

I mean, it wouldn't be at all fair on Dora if she felt she wasn't allowed to date because Marten wasn't over her yet, or vice-versa. (Although if you ask me, Dora's going to get a date first, since Marten is legendarily hopeless with the ladies.) If they're not going to move into a serious discussion of their respective problems, and I can sort of see why they wouldn't just yet, the best thing they can do now is rejoin the party and have a good time while they're at it.

Well played, indeed.

You're thinking 'pecs', right? I'm not really familiar with gym equipment...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #78 on: 11 Jul 2011, 16:05 »

I think even an "I'm sorry" would have sufficed....I just feel that with all the growing up that everyone seems to think they need to do, this isn't the most adult way to clarify where they stand with each other. Not saying it was a BAD strip, I am definitely happy that they patched things up.

You could argue that she apologized when they broke up.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #79 on: 11 Jul 2011, 16:14 »

You're thinking 'pecs', right? I'm not really familiar with gym equipment...
Nay.  Look at the top of the thing, it's called a "Bowflex".  When I was growing up I'd always see commercials for those.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jul 2011, 16:32 »

Sitting on a porch at someone's house in the middle of a party is not the deep long talk time or place.

I've actually had some of my deepest and most meaningful conversations in that kind of situation. Drink is flowing, friends are together, relaxed atmosphere and places like the porch are the only place to get alone. I know Dora and Marten aren't drunk and you don't need to drink to get deep but that's an example of my personal experience. Although I do agree they shouldn't get much deeper at this point for risking becoming uncivil.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #81 on: 11 Jul 2011, 16:52 »

I don't think it would ever  get uncivil between these two - it got that way during the breakup and in a fight or two, but it really goes against Marten's grain, and with nothing at stake anymore, there's no reason for Dora to get nasty, either.  Even when she was mid fight at the height of the breakup, she ran off and then, very calcmly and civilly, broke it off

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 11 Jul 2011, 17:48 »

Well, at least there wasn't blood.

Nice to see them talking like mature adults though

Oh, BTW Dora, Quarries too obvious.   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #83 on: 11 Jul 2011, 18:24 »

Which of these is more likely?

More of Dora & Marten's discussion    - 19 (30.6%) <--WINNAH!
The rest of the party & the other four's reactions    - 15 (24.2%)
Scene change to the next morning    - 8 (12.9%)
Guest Strip Week!    - 2 (3.2%)
Waffles.    - 3 (4.8%)
Nothing. Jeph takes a week off just tick us all off.    - 0 (0%)
All of the above.    - 15 (24.2%)

Total Voters: 62
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

guayec

• Plantmonster
    • the underman forever
« Reply #84 on: 11 Jul 2011, 21:33 »

man, again that guy with the wings. what the hell is that.  :psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #85 on: 11 Jul 2011, 21:43 »

Poor Dora. That's awkward.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #86 on: 11 Jul 2011, 21:51 »

And here I assumed they were all checking out Dora.  I mean, she does come walking into a college party dressed in a cocktail dress...why wouldn't they be checking her out?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jul 2011, 21:51 »

Now, Dora, no need to be rude.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jul 2011, 22:15 »

man, again that guy with the wings. what the hell is that.  :psyduck:

Yeah, i can imagine several uses for shirt-wings like that, but in the FRONT?
Irresponsible Adult GOM

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jul 2011, 22:16 »

For comic #1967...

1. Panel for panel, #1967 is a great strip.  Wonder how much time + effort Jeph put into this one?

2. I really liked panel #2, the "satisfied result" smiles on both Dora and Marten are really expressive.  As much as Dora's face & smile are extremely well done, I think I like Marten's background angle showing the anti-drama reaffirmation of their friendship.

3. Panel #3 was also a great artwork "front" angle shot.  The panel reminded me of Marigold's moment from Number 1464: Cheers, but from the opposite angle.

4. "We saw your friends watching you and thought something interesting was going on."  Something interesting was going on, just not the way they thought.

5. I am glad things turned out this way, it will be nice to see some a return to some of the "classic" (we can call it that now, right?  with our nearing the 2,000 mark...? :-o ) Questionable Content.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jul 2011, 22:46 »

Panel for panel, #1967 is a great strip.  Wonder how much time + effort Jeph put into this one?

A lot. You should watch him draw it sometime. He announces via twitter when he broadcasts his drawing.

/plug
- Alvin

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #91 on: 11 Jul 2011, 22:49 »

Matchmaker, matchmaker...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jul 2011, 23:22 »

And hilariously, Tai has remained unaware through all that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #93 on: 11 Jul 2011, 23:29 »

I love how sometimes things like everyone watching through the window in #1965 would go unnoticed by everyone else in the vicinity.

But no, not on Jeph's watch. :P
And he's right. People DO notice these things, and a crowd WOULD form like that to see what's so interesting. It's one of the realistic touches that I really like about Questionable Content. :)

annietiger

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 11 Jul 2011, 23:40 »

Ohh Dora looks so pretty in today's strip! And Marten's little smile in the second panel makes me so happy =)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jul 2011, 00:09 »

Umm....Dora? What "old quarry" are you talking about? I don't recall Jeph ever adding one into QC.
Ditchfork gave it 9.6! But Faye calls that bullshit.

Two great strips art-wise, though I wasn't quite convinced by Dora's neck/jawline in the fifth panel of 1966, and I'm not sure what to make of her expression in the second panel of 1967. Kind of mischievous of Marten to point her at Tai. I hope Tai hasn't so liberally drowned her sorrow that her crush wasn't coming to the party, that she makes an idiot of herself now Dora is finally there.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jul 2011, 00:32 »

Rejected last lines for today's comic:

Partygoer: ....but now we can see it's just dumb townie drama.
Dora: We're not townies!
- Alvin

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #97 on: 12 Jul 2011, 00:49 »

Rejected last lines for today's comic:

Partygoer: ....but now we can see it's just dumb townie drama.
Dora: We're not townies!

Enter Renee for no reason.
Renee: He couldn't into a coffeeship because of a break-up? You're both fuckin' townies!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #98 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:59 »

Argh, C'mon in Marten. Don't stay outside all alone :(

Also... I love the second panel. It says so much without any words. Great work Jeph!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #99 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:11 »

Argh, C'mon in Marten. Don't stay outside all alone :(

He probably just felt that going in together might give the wrong message.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up