THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THIS week's MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Catching Up On The Porch
- 3 (8.1%)
"I've never really been friends with an ex before."
- 0 (0%)
"I won't have to drag your body out to the old quarry."
- 0 (0%)
Dora makes her entrance!
- 4 (10.8%)
"We saw your friends watching you and thought something interesting was going on."
- 3 (8.1%)
THOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMP
- 3 (8.1%)
"#### OFF I'M BUSY" (oops!)
- 4 (10.8%)
DJ OCDee-Liteful!
- 3 (8.1%)
JUST NOD YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND TO CLICK THINGS
- 7 (18.9%)
Really nice guy looking for a relationship.
- 1 (2.7%)
Casual sex?
- 0 (0%)
Stammering Blushing Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I know, you work with Marten. It'd be weird."
- 2 (5.4%)
"Right." (sad Tai)
- 1 (2.7%)
"sit out here and look all Zen-contented"
- 2 (5.4%)
"...both my legs are asleep."
- 4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)  (Read 108211 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)
« Reply #200 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:35 »

What book is Hanners reading? It looks like the front cover says "Ablerow Live User Guide", but Google just comes up with roofing companies, so I don't know if that's supposed to be for the DJ equipment or not.

It's Ableton Live - a widely used music program.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #201 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:39 »

Okay, now I know Tiogyr is a troll. He deliberately ignores what he's been answered if it doesn't fit his personal storytelling. He picks the posts he can twist to make himself look better, and ignores the others.

Posting a contrary opinion doesn't make me a troll. And I've been told to drop the argument by the mods, so stop making parting shots when I move on to other stuff (which is why I cut short on responding to everybody).
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 04:41 by Tiogyr »

mike837go

• Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #202 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:42 »

Who else thinks the fourth panel (Tai's fridge brilliance) was the REAL punchline?

And grabbing Hanners should start Thursday's comic?
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 04:47 by mike837go »
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

Tiogyr

« Reply #203 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:45 »

What book is Hanners reading? It looks like the front cover says "Ablerow Live User Guide", but Google just comes up with roofing companies, so I don't know if that's supposed to be for the DJ equipment or not.

Ah, local dj's I've seen either use Zulu or Pioneer's mixing software (when they aren't going really cheap and using their media player's Shuffle function, which is hilarious sometimes).

Who else thinks the fourth panel (Tai's fridge brilliance) was the REAL punchline?

I'd be willing to bet money that Hanners ends up being a really good DJ after she applies her crazy math logic to the song selection, though it may still be up in the air how that influences the party (depending on the mood of the music she picks and tries to go for).
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 04:47 by Tiogyr »

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #204 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:46 »

Right, let's drop it, this is going nowhere.

I'm wondering what Jeph will start changing in terms of characterisations. Introducing a polyamorous character, for example? That would be a novelty, we haven't seen any, yet. But I gather they can be hard to write.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Tiogyr

« Reply #205 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:49 »

It would be another polyamorous character, because I think Tai already described herself as being poly of the strips.

EDIT: Yep, 1595, though she doesn't sound all that convinced that being poly is what she's happy with between that one and 1596.

mike837go

• Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #206 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:50 »

I'm wondering what Jeph will start changing in terms of characterisations. Introducing a polyamorous character, for example? That would be a novelty, we haven't seen any, yet. But I gather they can be hard to write.

Check the archives. Tai is currently in a polyamorous relationship, but wants to go monogamous.

[Give me a couple of minutes to find the strip]

Damn. Ninja'd

It is #1595
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #207 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:51 »

Who else thinks the fourth panel was the REAL punchline?

I did feel like we got two comics for the price of one today, but I admit that I love it when a comic delivers a punchline and then follows that up with another brilliant moment while you're still laughing at the first one.

The expression on Tai's face when she realised what she'd done was hilarious.
But I just found Hanners being unable to just pretend to know what she's doing was just as funny.

JUST NOD YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND TO CLICK THINGS

I'd be willing to bet money that Hanners ends up being a really good DJ after she applies her crazy math logic to the song selection, though it may still be up in the air how that influences the party (depending on the mood of the music she picks and tries to go for).

Agreed! That's what makes it so funny - for Hanners, if it's worth doing, it's worth exhausting herself in order to do it "perfectly" (whatever that might end up meaning). I have a mental picture of the party geting pretty hyperactive. And then confused.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #208 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:52 »

Re: the terminology debate earlier:

Marten is normally a good friend, but occasionally has the attitude that he's owed sexual favors for his friendship with females, especially earlier in the comic. This is a negative trait, but IMO, it's not currently a defining part of his character, just something that needs to be worked on. (It could be argued, however, that it was a defining part of his character earlier in the comic, and therefore he may well be working on it.) Now, he does things because they're good, not because they'll increase his chances of getting laid.

There, I think I've fairly accurately described the situation, without using the terms "nice guy" and "Nice Guy".

Re: today's comic:

Hmm. Hanners COULD be a good DJ, most likely. Also, if Dora is honest with Tai, it all depends on Tai's sobriety, I think, as for what happens. IIRC, Dora knows that Tai's interested in trying a monogamous relationship... but if Tai's drunk, it could get ugly. If she's sober, she'll probably get really depressed, and then get REALLY drunk? I dunno.

Also, DAMNIT, I've tried posting this three times now... let's see if #4 is the charm...

Tiogyr

« Reply #209 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:54 »

I'm trying to figure out why Dora is even going up to Tai at this point, given what she said to Jim earlier.

EDITED for too many commas.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #210 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:57 »

I'm trying to figure out why Dora is even going up to Tai at this point, given what she said to Jim earlier.

I would say that it's because Tai is the one who invited her, so it would be a bit impolite not to say hi when you do turn up. Also because Dora probably wants them to continue their friendship.

P.S. That's enough posts for one evening. Good night, internet.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 04:59 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tanksenior

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #211 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:03 »

I would say that it's because Tai is the one who invited her, so it would be a bit impolite not to say hi when you do turn up. Also because Dora probably wants them to continue their friendship.

P.S. That's enough posts for one evening. Good night, internet.

And Marten advised her to say hi to Tai as well.

Tiogyr

« Reply #212 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:08 »

Ah, I was still hung up on it being rude to show up at a party after telling the host you won't be there, but I guess since she's there she might as well.

Were Tai and Dora ever actually friends, though? I thought Tai was only around Dora  when she was also somewhere with Marten (outside just showing up to help Dora move, which was played as extremely awkward).

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #213 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:17 »

Marten is normally a good friend, but occasionally has the attitude that he's owed sexual favors for his friendship with females, especially earlier in the comic.
See, that's something that puzzles me: every now and then someone states something along this line, but I can't find any evidence of it in the archives. Am I overlooking something?

Were Tai and Dora ever actually friends, though? I thought Tai was only around Dora  when she was also somewhere with Marten (outside just showing up to help Dora move, which was played as extremely awkward).
I guess Tai showing Dora her piercing counts as some kind of bonding. But yeah, their current relationship is kinda blurry.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Handmade.Mercury

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #214 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:44 »

Hanners is definitely going to become amazing at using Ableton. Also, chances are that she's not playing existing songs at the party, but that Tai has created some of her own tracks and was mixing them together and stuff. Hanners is going to have a ball messing with all of the virtual instruments and tweaking all those waves :D

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #215 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:01 »

Ah, I was still hung up on it being rude to show up at a party after telling the host you won't be there, but I guess since she's there she might as well.

They're not close friends, but Dora knows her well enough to say hi to her at a party.  Especially since it's Tai's party, and because Marten said to.

I don't find Tai even remotely funny as comic relief.  Telling anyone to "fuck off" for wanting to talk to you is incredibly rude and immature.  Then to top it off, she drags Hanners away from her friends to make her uncomfortably DJ a party.  I really hope Tai catches the next bus out of town.

Tiogyr

« Reply #216 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:04 »

Marten is normally a good friend, but occasionally has the attitude that he's owed sexual favors for his friendship with females, especially earlier in the comic.
See, that's something that puzzles me: every now and then someone states something along this line, but I can't find any evidence of it in the archives. Am I overlooking something?

Stuff like this is a bit... creepy. And it adds up over the course of the comic, culminating in the much-argued-over drunken Marten asshole incident.

They're not close friends, but Dora knows her well enough to say hi to her at a party.  Especially since it's Tai's party, and because Marten said to.

I was mostly talking about the "maintaining their friendship" line (in a "they're friends?" way), but yeah, I get it now.

I don't find Tai even remotely funny as comic relief.  Telling anyone to "fuck off" for wanting to talk to you is incredibly rude and immature.  Then to top it off, she drags Hanners away from her friends to make her uncomfortably DJ a party.  I really hope Tai catches the next bus out of town.

Shoot, Hanners as a DJ will probably work out being even more fun for her once she figures it out, but I agree on Tai not being even remotely funny in any situation so far.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 06:08 by Tiogyr »

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #217 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:10 »

I'm actually a little worried about Dora's eventual encounter with Tai. I have a feeling Tai's busy getting wasted to forget her depression over Dora, and if she actually sees Dora while very drunk....well, it could be bad. And it could be worse if, after Tai says/does something embarrassing or hurtful, Dora thinks Marten set her up to get hurt.

I think a drunk Tai waking up in bed next to sober Marten as a practical joke would hilarious. Of course nothing happened, and someone else would have to be present in the room to reaffirm that it was all just a joke, but I can't think of how to successfully pull that off.

Except that's not funny, it's awful? Because having sex with a girl who is pass-out drunk is rape, and setting up a scene to make someone think they have been assaulted is not a joke.  It's just awful.

Sorry to be "that lady" but it's true.

Hmmm. i didn't see "the wake up in bed-who did I sleep with" bit as "wake up in bed- who was I raped by"...but I can see your prospective.
Therefore if she woke up in bed next to another woman, then the same "who was I raped by" response should be expected. Correct?
Which means, this bit should never be used again in any media.
Apologies...I didn't think that one through.
I'll blame the Jessica Alba scene in "Machete" since that's the last place I saw the bit used.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 06:27 by Sylentknight »

Tiogyr

« Reply #218 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:20 »

I'm actually a little worried about Dora's eventual encounter with Tai. I have a feeling Tai's busy getting wasted to forget her depression over Dora, and if she actually sees Dora while very drunk....well, it could be bad. And it could be worse if, after Tai says/does something embarrassing or hurtful, Dora thinks Marten set her up to get hurt.

I think a drunk Tai waking up in bed next to sober Marten as a practical joke would hilarious. Of course nothing happened, and someone else would have to be present in the room to reaffirm that it was all just a joke, but I can't think of how to successfully pull that off.

Except that's not funny, it's awful? Because having sex with a girl who is pass-out drunk is rape, and setting up a scene to make someone think they have been assaulted is not a joke.  It's just awful.

Hmmm. i didn't see "the wake up in bed-who did I sleep with bit" as "wake up in bed- who was I raped by"...but I can see your prospective.
Therefore if she woke up in bed next to another woman, then the same "who was I raped by" response should be expected. Correct?

I think it hinges entirely on whether the other person was also blackout drunk or not. If the other person is completely sober with no hangover whatsoever, then yes, the reaction should be the same because the person waking up from the blackout couldn't actually give consent.

EDIT: I haven't seen Machete, yet.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 06:28 by Tiogyr »

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #219 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:26 »

Hmmm. i didn't see "the wake up in bed-who did I sleep with bit" as "wake up in bed- who was I raped by"...but I can see your prospective.

....i don't think people would have commented as such if you left out the "everyone in the strip knows it's a joke" thing. It is possible for two people (of same OR different sex) to wake up in the same bed together and invoke humor in the viewer of said moment. If others in the cast are aware that it is a practical joke, I can see where people would consider that a cruel joke. BUT, I like the idea that it would be Jeph playing the joke on us.  :-P At first I took it as "Tai is really drunk and needs somewhere to stay, Marten allows her to sleep in his bed, we only see Tai in Marten's bed in last panel of comic on a Friday"....now keep in mind that although this may or may not fit the characters' typical actions, there are real people that do this without getting raped/having sex. If you've known someone for years and years and aren't affected by "omg what will people think", then it's safe to say that both parties would be comfortable sleeping in the same bed for one evening.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #220 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:33 »

Again...I didn't think through the negative interpretations of the "bit". You're right. Both parties being asleep is a key factor. Both parties still clothed adds to it.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 06:48 by Sylentknight »

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #221 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:05 »

Stuff like this is a bit... creepy.
How so?

And it adds up over the course of the comic,
When, where?

culminating in the much-argued-over drunken Marten asshole incident.
Okay, what Marten said on that occurrence is clearly out of line. There's no need to look for a subtext in what he said, though. It was dickish by itself. And nothing he said amounts to expressing entitlement to "sexual favors for his friendship with females". Over the course of the comic, there's several hundreds of examples of Marten lacking a sense of entitlement to anything. Everything that resembled a sexual advance (from Dora or Faye) made him utterly confused, and then he immediately assumed the girl was kidding. Seriously, that was a running gag back then.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #222 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:09 »

I've had a few WTF moments reading the last couple of pages of discussion, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the ender of messes is wearing the (possibly sweaty and gross) headphones that were just on the head of someone else. I know she's loosened up quite a bit since becoming part of the gang, but I didn't think she was quite that far yet.

I agree that this feels like 2 comics in 1, though I doubt it would have worked as two separate comics. I think the punchline may have been funnier if it were the 4th panel, but that the segue to Hannelore the DJ wouldn't have been quite as natural in the first panel of tomorrow's comic.

Also, just because I can't help it, does anyone remember during Marten's first meeting with Hannelore the description he gave of himself? (HINT: last panel of the comic I linked) I'm pretty sure that has rung true throughout the comic, with of course the one exception we all know about. I think Marten does a lot for girls, and perhaps he hopes it improves his chances of getting close to them, but I don't think there's any evidence that he does them solely to get laid, or that he expects anything in return, whether he hopes for it or not. This is probably just me projecting onto the character, at least to some degree, because there isn't a lot a cute girl can't get me to do, despite knowing there's no chance I would sleep with her, even if given the opportunity (it has come up before, and I have refused. That was its own story though). Some of us are just suckers, and we're ok with that.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #223 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:16 »

Gonna be stepping away from the drama in this thread for a moment.

I totally support DJ Hanners and her efforts. Something tells me she'll probably be joined by DJ Mar-Bear to help with the technical side of things.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #224 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:16 »

Okay, what Marten said on that occurrence is clearly out of line. There's no need to look for a subtext in what he said, though. It was dickish by itself. And nothing he said amounts to expressing entitlement to "sexual favors for his friendship with females". Over the course of the comic, there's several hundreds of examples of Marten lacking a sense of entitlement to anything. Everything that resembled a sexual advance (from Dora or Faye) made him utterly confused, and then he immediately assumed the girl was kidding. Seriously, that was a running gag back then.

Not only that, but that was Marten's absolute low point in the series, I am pretty sure. Depression and bourbon abound. That's probably the reason Faye did what she did and did not tell him what he had said or done. His girlfriend dumped him, a girl who he originally liked was dating a guy who, in a lot of ways is absolutely nothing like him.

Raging drunk that translates to, "Women don't like me and treat me like crap because I'm not an asshole", instead of logically, "My girlfriend and I have issues to work out, Faye and I would have been terrible because I'm too passive".
"Who Dares, Wins."

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #225 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:19 »

I hope Dora was going over to Tai for chivalrous reasons, even though I would prefer her not to get back with Marten.

Tiogyr

« Reply #226 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:27 »

Stuff like this is a bit... creepy.
How so?

You don't see a guy committing fraud to buy a gift for a girl he has a crush on as creepy?

As for other stuff, things like what this poster is talking about:

Also, just because I can't help it, does anyone remember during Marten's first meeting with Hannelore the description he gave of himself? (HINT: last panel of the comic I linked)

Being all super bitter because a girl he likes doesn't reciprocate, in this instance.

Not only that, but that was Marten's absolute low point in the series, I am pretty sure. Depression and bourbon abound. That's probably the reason Faye did what she did and did not tell him what he had said or done. His girlfriend dumped him, a girl who he originally liked was dating a guy who, in a lot of ways is absolutely nothing like him.

I get that, but none of that really invalidates the view a lot of people have reading this comic that Marten is, deep down, a really bitter person when it comes to these relationships.

I mean, just in your next line, for example:

Raging drunk that translates to, "Women don't like me and treat me like crap because I'm not an asshole", instead of logically, "My girlfriend and I have issues to work out, Faye and I would have been terrible because I'm too passive".

Is one of these really any better or worse than the other?

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #227 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:39 »

Tiogyr, I really do appreciate your contribution to these forums, but dammit we both look at the same thing and see two completely different interpretations, and you have a special way of subtly masking intention of the poster and turning their point completely around to someone else. This is at least the second time you've done it to me. It's a gift really, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating when I'm the victim :-P

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #228 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:40 »

Tiogyr, I really do appreciate your contribution to these forums, but dammit we both look at the same thing and see two completely different interpretations, and you have a special way of subtly masking intention of the poster and turning their point completely around to someone else. This is at least the second time you've done it to me. It's a gift really, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating when I'm the victim :-P

Ahhh the power of perspective.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #229 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:45 »

I don't want a Dora/Tai couple, ever.

The weird thing is that if you guys ask me "why do you say that?" I wouldn't have anything to say. I don't even know why. It's just that my brain goes all "Dora and Tai...No...No...No. Does not work"

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #230 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:46 »

Depending on your perspective, yes. Passive =/= Not an asshole.

You can be passionate, driven for example, without being a jerk.

Sure Marten is bitter, and a lot of people are bitter, but it's kind of like... Is he bitter for the right reasons? No that's not right...

Hmm. Maybe that is it.
"Who Dares, Wins."

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #231 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:51 »

Okay, remember that "shouldn't be dating anyone" thing?  Is there a reason it'll be different with Tai that doesn't contain some permutation of "it'lll be hot"?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #232 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:55 »

Okay, remember that "shouldn't be dating anyone" thing?  Is there a reason it'll be different with Tai that doesn't contain some permutation of "it'lll be hot"?

No, but she may be going over to talk to Tai in a chivalrous manner or such.

Tiogyr

« Reply #233 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:56 »

That really wasn't an intentional twisting of your post, I just didn't want to use the same comic link you did and then have someone be all "Hey, wrwight just linked that same comic!". It was more of an attributing proper credit because you dug it up first.

I don't want a Dora/Tai couple, ever.

The weird thing is that if you guys ask me "why do you say that?" I wouldn't have anything to say. I don't even know why. It's just that my brain goes all "Dora and Tai...No...No...No. Does not work"

I'd say it's because Dora doesn't actually have enough respect for Tai in the way that is needed for an equal relationship. Tai has this unreasonable crush on her idealistic perception of Dora, etc.

Depending on your perspective, yes. Passive =/= Not an asshole.

You can be passionate, driven for example, without being a jerk.

Sure Marten is bitter, and a lot of people are bitter, but it's kind of like... Is he bitter for the right reasons? No that's not right...

Hmm. Maybe that is it.

That's kind of the thing, he had no real reason to be bitter in those early comics and yet, he was (griping about it every time somebody brought it up, check the facial expression in the comic wrwight linked). Marten's angry drunk rambling expresses it as anger over not being enough of an asshole to attract women (which comes pretty close to the term we're not allowed to use here), while you offer a substitute that really isn't any better because the end result still puts Marten in the same situation (because he was still being a jerk).

It would be nice to have a few comics where Marten isn't so damn passive in his interest in a woman while still being a genuinely decent guy, but it hasn't happened yet.

Okay, remember that "shouldn't be dating anyone" thing?  Is there a reason it'll be different with Tai that doesn't contain some permutation of "it'lll be hot"?

I'm not so sure Dora is going to be going after anything with Tai at this point (and we're just seeing typical puppy dog Tai doing a rush after Dora due to her irrational crush).
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 08:01 by Tiogyr »

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #234 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:01 »

That's kind of the thing, he had no real reason to be bitter in those early comics. Marten's angry drunk rambling expresses it as anger over not being enough of an asshole to attract women (which comes pretty close to the term we're not allowed to use here), while you offer a substitute that really isn't any better because the end result still puts Marten in the same situation (because he was still being a jerk).

It would be nice to have a few comics where Marten isn't so damn passive in his interest in a woman while still being a genuinely decent guy, but it hasn't happened yet.

A Marten that isn't passive in his interest for women yet still genuinely a decent guy. Reminds me of Angus to be honest...

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #235 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:08 »

That's kind of the thing, he had no real reason to be bitter in those early comics. Marten's angry drunk rambling expresses it as anger over not being enough of an asshole to attract women (which comes pretty close to the term we're not allowed to use here), while you offer a substitute that really isn't any better because the end result still puts Marten in the same situation (because he was still being a jerk).

A Marten that isn't passive in his interest for women yet still genuinely a decent guy. Reminds me of Angus to be honest...

That and he'd need more witty banter in his arsenal.
"Who Dares, Wins."

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #236 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:09 »

That and he'd need more witty banter in his arsenal.

What he lacks in witty banter he makes up in musical facts ^_^ haha.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #237 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:12 »

I wonder if he'll ever run into a girl who loves music as much as he does. Hm.

That's kind of the thing, he had no real reason to be bitter in those early comics and yet, he was (griping about it every time somebody brought it up, check the facial expression in the comic wrwight linked). Marten's angry drunk rambling expresses it as anger over not being enough of an asshole to attract women (which comes pretty close to the term we're not allowed to use here), while you offer a substitute that really isn't any better because the end result still puts Marten in the same situation (because he was still being a jerk).

But how does being passionate or less passive about something equal being a jerk?
"Who Dares, Wins."

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #238 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:15 »

Well he had the music theme going for awhile with Faye but we all know how that ended.

Tiogyr

« Reply #239 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:17 »

But how does being passionate or less passive about something equal being a jerk?

I was talking about his line of complaining in the drunk asshole comic.

As in, if he'd said "I'm just not aggressive enough, so how about I be aggressive now and--" when he got knocked out, he'd have still been a jerk.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #240 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:25 »

I feel like a fool waiting for people to realise that the everyone has flaws. yes, even fictional characters..

If you´re all that judgemental IRL as y´are about Marten I guess it would really suck to be friends with you  :roll:

Tiogyr

« Reply #241 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:27 »

I feel like a fool waiting for people to realise that the everyone has flaws. yes, even fictional characters..

If you´re all that judgemental IRL as y´are about Marten I guess it would really suck to be friends with you  :roll:

If all of my friends acted in real life like QC characters act in the comics, I'd basically be in Hipster Hell (or a movie by whoever wrote Juno, because nobody talks like that in real life).

EDIT: But in the context of QC itself, speech mannerisms aside, if I was friends with someone like Marten for too long I'd basically start treating them the way Steve has been treating them because over the years I'd lose all respect for them (like I think Steve probably has).

It's not about expecting fictional characters to be perfect, either, though I'm not quite sure how to explain this point.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 08:41 by Tiogyr »

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #242 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:28 »

Yeah, I meant no offense, and took none. I was just pointing it out. Like I said, it's kind of a gift, 'cause it's like "Wait, what did I say?" A great confidence breaker in a debate I would imagine. I think it's just that you don't acknowledge the opposing interpretation, like if you had linked it first I would have posted something like "I see that comic a completely different way, [my interpretation]" or "[quoted comic] could also be used to argue the opposite, [my interpretation]," whereas you just take it and run with it as if I was in full agreement with your point of view from the start.

You have a very particular way with words is I guess all I'm saying. I'll admit I didn't like you so much when I first started lurking, but the more I read your posts, the more I understand your style of writing, and the easier it is to see the points you're trying to make over the way that you're making them.

Anyway, that was all beside the point. Just something I've noticed.

Also beside the point: Any time I link to that first meeting with Hannelore, I miss that character. Don't get me wrong, the Hanners that's in the comic is great, but the two are hardly the same person. They look and behave so differently, and I think I liked the slightly more "grown up" girl with OCD issues would have made a much better cast member. It isn't my comic though (and you should all be thankful for this fact)

More to the point: I might be in agreement with Sir Dudley at this point, and bow out for the night. I'm sure I'll be back, and unable to refrain from throwing two cents more into the pot, and stirring vigorously, but until then, (with swooping Senor Chang hand movements) Hasta Luego!

Tiogyr

« Reply #243 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:37 »

Yeah, I meant no offense, and took none. I was just pointing it out. Like I said, it's kind of a gift, 'cause it's like "Wait, what did I say?" A great confidence breaker in a debate I would imagine. I think it's just that you don't acknowledge the opposing interpretation, like if you had linked it first I would have posted something like "I see that comic a completely different way, [my interpretation]" or "[quoted comic] could also be used to argue the opposite, [my interpretation]," whereas you just take it and run with it as if I was in full agreement with your point of view from the start.

I think it depends on everyone's background on the internet before they started posting here. On the forums I posted on back when I was getting started on the internet, being that explicit about every detail was going to get you mocked and/or banned for being a smartass (because it was expected that everyone who reads a thread keep track of what everyone is posting and not have to be reminded of the point someone made in another post if only a section of it is quoted for the purposes of making a different point, and I figured since it was even easier to do that here since quoted posts include a link that takes you to the original post at the top of the quote, that wasn't necessary).

Also beside the point: Any time I link to that first meeting with Hannelore, I miss that character. Don't get me wrong, the Hanners that's in the comic is great, but the two are hardly the same person. They look and behave so differently, and I think I liked the slightly more "grown up" girl with OCD issues would have made a much better cast member. It isn't my comic though (and you should all be thankful for this fact)

I feel the same way, but the last time I brought that up it was almost as bad as the derail on the last page for some reason (something about that "version" of Hanners being drugged out all the time, or something, so it was a negative version because of that).

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #244 on: 13 Jul 2011, 11:00 »

Ah, local dj's I've seen either use Zulu or Pioneer's mixing software (when they aren't going really cheap and using their media player's Shuffle function, which is hilarious sometimes).
I once knew someone who fancied himself a bit of a DJ. He just kind of brought four or five crates of CD's with him and as near as I could tell manually loaded up the songs throughout the event. He thought it was awesome when he got that first Ipod because he didn't have to carry so much stuff and he'd just hook it up to the sound system and throw it on shuffle. He doesn't really DJ anymore. There comes a point when "I'm the guy with the Ipod" no longer makes you special.

Anyway yeah, great to get that cleared up. I was wondering about the book and it hadn't occurred to me that there would be DJ specific software.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #245 on: 13 Jul 2011, 11:41 »

It's moot, since Tai seems to be staying sober (or at the very least, sober compared to standard Tai at parties...or work, for that matter), so she can focus on her DJ duties.

By the way, the person suggesting the Marten in Tai's bed joke, I'm assuming Marten would be wearing clothes, yes?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tiogyr

« Reply #246 on: 13 Jul 2011, 11:50 »

Out of interest, how do you (and everyone else) regard the gender-flipped version of said "joke", as in here? Admittedly, it's not done as a practical joke here - maybe it'd be fairer to compare it with Marten telling Tai she "certainly did a number on his manly bits last night". (Strip 186 reference, where Marten kind of plays this joke by mistake...).

#1522 & #186 were both terrible jokes, yes.

1522 should have had a huge uproar in the forums over it, as well, but I can't confirm this with the forum search function (it either sits forever and doesn't return a result page, or the results consist of your post, maybe that thread got pruned?).
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 12:02 by Tiogyr »

Tiogyr

« Reply #247 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:00 »

Oh my goodness, no one survived the "huge uproar" that was 1522.

:eyeroll emote goes here:

If it didn't, I'd be surprised, given how huge a deal Dora going on a date after breaking up with Marten was (and how much worse what Faye "joked" about there actually was in comparison).

Would this be the eyeroll emote you're looking for?
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 12:29 by Tiogyr »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #248 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:05 »

Right, because if this forum needs anything, it's more uproars.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tiogyr

« Reply #249 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:07 »

Right, because if this forum needs anything, it's more uproars.

Let's see if I'm understanding you: Andy147 is trying to suggest people on these forums are being hypocrites and you're saying he's right?

For reference, look at the post he originally made here.

I didn't miss the sarcasm, either, because it still doesn't change the point I made earlier (that as upset as people got over Dora dating again so soon, you'd think the same people would be even more upset by that horrible joke).
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 12:11 by Tiogyr »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up