THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THIS week's MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Catching Up On The Porch
- 3 (8.1%)
"I've never really been friends with an ex before."
- 0 (0%)
"I won't have to drag your body out to the old quarry."
- 0 (0%)
Dora makes her entrance!
- 4 (10.8%)
"We saw your friends watching you and thought something interesting was going on."
- 3 (8.1%)
THOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMP
- 3 (8.1%)
"#### OFF I'M BUSY" (oops!)
- 4 (10.8%)
DJ OCDee-Liteful!
- 3 (8.1%)
JUST NOD YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND TO CLICK THINGS
- 7 (18.9%)
Really nice guy looking for a relationship.
- 1 (2.7%)
Casual sex?
- 0 (0%)
Stammering Blushing Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I know, you work with Marten. It'd be weird."
- 2 (5.4%)
"Right." (sad Tai)
- 1 (2.7%)
"sit out here and look all Zen-contented"
- 2 (5.4%)
"...both my legs are asleep."
- 4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)  (Read 108209 times)

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)
« Reply #350 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:04 »

I'm not really sure where the Tai hate is coming from... I mean, she doesn't seem like an ill-intentioned person. I'd say immautre and struggling to deal with new feelings and situations at worst.

It is weird though how Jeph's characters de-mature. I remember Tai being more grown up in her earlier appearances, the same with (I hate to repeat what so many have said) Hannelore. It's like Benjamin Button all up in here.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #351 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:28 »

I'm not really sure where the Tai hate is coming from... I mean, she doesn't seem like an ill-intentioned person. I'd say immautre and struggling to deal with new feelings and situations at worst.

Tai has empathy but chooses to ignore it by placing her own desires before loyalty to her friends - she knows that her dating Dora would be kicking Marten but she tries to do it anyway.

Basically, she broke the Bro Code.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #352 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:30 »

I'm not sure how you would define "caterwauling" but I've seen threats to close the WCDT, a first since I started lurking about. I would say what we've been experiencing lately could easily qualify under the term. I've had more moments where I wanted to bang my head against my desk after reading this thread, as speculation ran even wilder than it normally does. Don't get me wrong, you can check the last couple of WCDTs and verify that I'm a big fan of subtext and reading between the lines, but it has gotten to the point of ridiculous a few times. I find myself getting sucked into the ridiculous too, and it's like I know it's stupid, but I just can't help myself. As Jeph has stated himself, there isn't always a deeper meaning to every detail in his comic (paraphrasing of course), but there are some serious fans who choose to believe otherwise, either in denial of the author's comment, assuming some Freudian "there are no accidents" point of view, or choosing to give no weight to the author's intention, and assess the work only, a popular type of literary criticism. I would tend to reject all of these, since this isn't a finished work. It's hard to dismiss what the author says, when the author isn't finished with the work yet.

Anyway, I should end this before I'm tempted to jump into the conversation. I just deleted a good paragraph about my thoughts on Tai (twice!), because they pretty much led nowhere, and I'm pretty sure they would result in flames toward me, even perhaps by those who shared many of my opinions.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #353 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:33 »

My view is that Tai is genuinly in love, but realizes that it's completely impossible for different reasons.

I am not saying anything about whether they'd make a nice couple or anything. Probably not.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #354 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:44 »

It is weird though how Jeph's characters de-mature. I remember Tai being more grown up in her earlier appearances, the same with (I hate to repeat what so many have said) Hannelore. It's like Benjamin Button all up in here.

Both Tai and Hannelore have been chosen as comic relief to assist Raven and the robots.  Their characters have devolved to fit that role.  The only problem is Tai's humor role of "constant sex craving" isn't funny, just off-putting, especially with Marten in the mix.  Innocent, OCD humor from Hanners is much better.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #355 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:45 »

I think this Dora thing is what's supposed to break her constant sex craving. I saw it as a transition for her character.

Tai has empathy but chooses to ignore it by placing her own desires before loyalty to her friends - she knows that her dating Dora would be kicking Marten but she tries to do it anyway.

Basically, she broke the Bro Code.

But Dora is not Marten's. It's not fair, just cos he was with her first.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #356 on: 14 Jul 2011, 13:17 »

But Dora is not Marten's. It's not fair, just cos he was with her first.

Sure, Tai and Dora can date some time down the road if that time comes, and sure Marten is not with Dora, and Dora is not with Marten.

It's just a manner of...

Dora herself has realized she needs to be at peace with herself in so many words, that it's time for soul-searching, not relationships.

Tai apologized to Marten for being a jerk and trying to set up a way that she could have Dora fling herself in Tai's arms, hopefully with seeing Marten there. (I am just going to assume here that Tai was hoping Dora and Marten would see each other, argue, Dora would go into a rage, start drinking with Tai, and WOOPS~One Night Stand. Unfortunately for Tai, this college logic doesn't work because well, Dora and Marten are past those stages in emotional development.

After apologizing, she tries to go after Dora anyway, but...

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1949

Tai and Marten never discussed it more in detail. Sure Tai said she was sorry but she never said she was not going to go after Dora anyway. Marten said he was uncomfortable about it, but also qualified that it's not his place to say if they should date or not.

Looking at today's...

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1969

I think we are simply seeing Tai knock herself out, and instead of trying to recover, she just sort of took Dora's words and ran with them.

Dora seemed to be taking Tai's stuttering fit for her not wanting to hurt Marten, though that's far from anything Tai is thinking. Tai just wants to confess her feelings for Dora and instead lets herself get shut out by... Herself.
"Who Dares, Wins."

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #357 on: 14 Jul 2011, 13:37 »

This has been a great month for QC so far. A lot of plot development.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #358 on: 14 Jul 2011, 13:44 »

If Tai was really the horrible person certain people on here seem to think she is, she would have finished the sentence Dora cut off. Instead she wisely backed down by just saying "Right;" letting Dora have the ignorant bliss even though she's obviously hurt now. Also, I'd like to point out that Tai's "advances," for lack of a better word, haven't been all that aggressive. The most obvious instance would be her taking her shirt off at Dora's place, but that wasn't planned and Faye was there too, so it came off as more of a "yay naked ladies" moment and less of a "I'm into Dora" moment, if that makes any sense. Other than that, she hasn't crossed any real lines yet. And a terrible person wouldn't have apologized to Marten about trying to go after her.

We saw mostly her professional side at first, what with her being introduced as Marten's boss. And as Dora has shown us, someone can be very competent in the workplace and hopeless in the other areas of their lives. Now that Tai's character is being developed a bit more, we're seeing the less-stable sides of her personality. Nobody's perfect.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #359 on: 14 Jul 2011, 14:10 »

I'm not sure how you would define "caterwauling" but I've seen threats to close the WCDT, a first since I started lurking about.

Those were the first direct threats of that sort which I have ever made.  The behaviour that led to them also caused two bans in the end, and I hope the atmosphere will now be clearer again as a result.

« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 14:15 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #360 on: 14 Jul 2011, 15:01 »

@Akima: Damn you for that pun. It hurt.

Moving on, Tai...I hope things turn out okay for you on this. Seeing as we'll only have tomorrow to see where this goes before Guest Strip Week 2011 starts, I want the week to end on a good note.

And if Jeph's Twitter is be believed.....the guests will be having some crazy fun this year.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #361 on: 14 Jul 2011, 15:21 »

Blah. Just jump her already Tai. We're all waiting for you to do so.

Dry humping on the knee style, or crazy stalker/rapist/serial killer in dark alley type of jump?

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #362 on: 14 Jul 2011, 15:27 »

or the less predictable hurdle style jump. This would be far more entertaining.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #363 on: 14 Jul 2011, 15:31 »

Blah. Just jump her already Tai. We're all waiting for you to do so.

Dry humping on the knee style, or crazy stalker/rapist/serial killer in dark alley type of jump?

Well see now, the dry humping of the leg is reminescent of a love sick puppy, and might be considered cute by some.
Crazy stalker/rapist/serial killer in the dark alley type of jump....not so much...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #364 on: 14 Jul 2011, 16:05 »

Dawwwwwww

Definitely looks like Tai is wanting more than a casual roll in the hay with Dora there.

Could it be that Tai is finally maturing??!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #365 on: 14 Jul 2011, 16:49 »

Dawwwwwww

Definitely looks like Tai is wanting more than a casual roll in the hay with Dora there.

Could it be that Tai is finally maturing??!

No, a mature person would not go after a girl her friend and coworker is still emotional about.  Tai WAS maturing after her talk with Marten but then decided to screw him over anyway.  Very sleazy.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #366 on: 14 Jul 2011, 16:58 »

Marten did basically give her permission.  He didn't have to, of course, but he pretty much did, assuring her that they are still bros, despite her intentions to pursue something with Dora.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #367 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:01 »

The results of "Chasing Dora"?

Dora and Tai Makeouts!    - 2 (2.6%)
Dora lets her down easy.    - 6 (7.9%)
Tai crashes and burns.    - 16 (21.1%) <=== Winnah!
Tai lets Dora down easy.    - 4 (5.3%)
DJ OCDelightful rokkin' da house!    - 25 (32.9%)
Marten meets a mystery girl!    - 3 (3.9%)
Marigold wins a dance competition!    - 1 (1.3%)
There Will Be Waffles!    - 2 (2.6%)
Angus & Faye give their commentary    - 3 (3.9%)
Forums implode, everyone cries.    - 14 (18.4%)

Total Voters: 76
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #368 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:12 »

<snip>

Especially since she offered to have casual sex with Jim just a few strips ago.

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?  All she said was, "I'm sure we could...", and that was not specific at all. 

We could... try again?  ...go out for a nightcap?  ...see where things go from here? 

True, one  option is "...have sex?", but I think neither she nor Jim were anywhere near that point after what was really only a semi-successful first date! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #369 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:14 »

Marten did basically give her permission.  He didn't have to, of course, but he pretty much did, assuring her that they are still bros, despite her intentions to pursue something with Dora.

He was trying to be cool with it by saying that.  I mean come on, he was literally depressed about it just moments before.  The guy needs some time to heal.  There isn't a point where you just say "I'm ok with it now" and feelings never come up again.  It's a roller coaster, up and down.

Do you honestly believe he'd like to hear that Dora hooked up with Tai?  That'd Tai would be happy about it at work all week?  No, that's too much for anyone to take.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #370 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:29 »

Do you honestly believe he'd like to hear that Dora hooked up with Tai?  That'd Tai would be happy about it at work all week?  No, that's too much for anyone to take.

Would be a double-edged sword for me. "Nice to see people I like (or still love) getting happy again" vs. "surely wouldn't want to be reminded all the time that obviously anybody but me is a better choice for that". I like the first part better, though.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #371 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:31 »

Dora does have a lot on her mind right now, so she can be forgiven for being oblivious (which is how she seems to me, although the theory of akronnick is appealing).

I'm not sure she is, Dora in Panel 4 (to me) looks like someone who's accepted her situation and is ready to move on.

I wasn't saying anything different, however she looks to me as though she is reflecting on all that has passed.

No, a mature person would not go after a girl her friend and coworker is still emotional about.

Considering that in the end she backed away from saying anything, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that she is becoming more mature.

I mean come on, he was literally depressed about it just moments before.

Ummm really?
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 17:46 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #372 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:35 »

Did something strange happen with the poll? I didn't vote, yet one of the options is bolded as if I did.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #373 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:41 »

Same here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #374 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:49 »

Aaand same here.

And by way of apologizing for being a bit redundant: it's fascinating reading these forums to see how different people can look at the same panel and draw such different interpretations.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #375 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:58 »

I call shenanigans!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #376 on: 14 Jul 2011, 18:00 »

The poll is missing the option "Pintsize cries himself to sleep".  :-D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #377 on: 14 Jul 2011, 18:50 »

Oops, forgot to reset the vote counts. Try again.

EDIT: And the "A repeat of the 'Deep Sigh' comic" would be this one.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 18:52 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #378 on: 14 Jul 2011, 19:15 »

Well, I got my vote option in, so naturally I had to vote for it. And why is Pintsize crying? Who knows? From reading the forums, maybe.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #379 on: 14 Jul 2011, 19:35 »

This totally makes me giggle as I picture Marten being pushed down by some force. I know what you meant, but misuse (or in your case misplacement) of literally makes me either cringe or giggle. Yours was funny though.

On the question of Tai and Marten being bros, and the code and all, I think Tai's in the clear, but would be a better friend by keeping distance for a while, and I also think that's kind of how she acted it out. She knows it'd be ok, that Marten would forgive her eventually, so she floated the idea, but when met with less than the success she wanted, she backed off. Kind of playing the odds. *walks off humming The Gambler*

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #380 on: 14 Jul 2011, 19:59 »

Dora does have a lot on her mind right now, so she can be forgiven for being oblivious (which is how she seems to me, although the theory of akronnick is appealing).

I'm not sure she is, Dora in Panel 4 (to me) looks like someone who's accepted her situation and is ready to move on.

I wasn't saying anything different, however she looks to me as though she is reflecting on all that has passed.

No, a mature person would not go after a girl her friend and coworker is still emotional about.

Considering that in the end she backed away from saying anything, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that she is becoming more mature.

Ummm really?

Yes, really.  http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1947

She only backed away from saying anything because Dora just implied that her knowing Marten would be too weird.  Now Tai isn't allowed to do anything because she knows Marten, and she's upset about it.

This totally makes me giggle as I picture Marten being pushed down by some force. I know what you meant, but misuse (or in your case misplacement) of literally makes me either cringe or giggle. Yours was funny though.

On the question of Tai and Marten being bros, and the code and all, I think Tai's in the clear, but would be a better friend by keeping distance for a while, and I also think that's kind of how she acted it out. She knows it'd be ok, that Marten would forgive her eventually, so she floated the idea, but when met with less than the success she wanted, she backed off. Kind of playing the odds. *walks off humming The Gambler*

He was "literally depressed".  As in, he was slouched on a table with a cloud of gloom pushing down on him and Tai.

But somehow we're supposed to believe that Marten immediately pulled a 180 and became completely over Dora in a split second.  Yeah, not buying it.  I highly doubt Tai bought it either, but she didn't really give a shit about Marten's feelings till she discovered that, shit, Dora does.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #381 on: 14 Jul 2011, 20:05 »

Yes, really.  http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1947

OK. Quibble: that wasn't "moments ago" (which is what I was questioning).

But I agree with your observation about getting over something like that being a "roller coaster".

But somehow we're supposed to believe that Marten immediately pulled a 180 and became completely over Dora in a split second.

I don't think anyone suggested that.

He doesn't need to be "completely over" Dora to accept Dora dating a specific person that he likes.

Anyway, it's all moot because she didn't confess her feelings in the end. And I don't buy the idea that she "didn't give a shit" until that point. It's a valid interpretation, but I don't share it.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #382 on: 14 Jul 2011, 20:11 »

ah, I too was confused by the "moments ago" part. Although I still think I'd call that "almost literally" depressed, as there is no real indication that the word "gloo...m" is actually pushing down on them. That is a much better use than I had previously thought though.

EDIT: I feel I may get questioned on how something can be "almost literal" and I think this situation applies. He looks like he's being literally pushed down (i.e. depressed) but there isn't anything actually doing the pressing
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 20:13 by wrwight »

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #383 on: 14 Jul 2011, 21:38 »

Wow. People really seem to hate Tai. My thoughts if you're interested (and you are. YOU FUCKING ARE! I WILL PSYDUCK THE SHIT OUT OF YOU IF YOU AREN'T!), panel four is a bit of a mix. Yeah, Tai got shot down, but she's not some totally selfish person. The heart wants what it wants, doesn't mean she doesn't feel bad about leapfrogging over the corpse of Marten and Dora's relationship to get it. 
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #384 on: 14 Jul 2011, 21:58 »

i assume dora is joking? about that being the (only?) reason to not have casual sex with tai?
i wanna think she is joking.
i wanna like dora again.

Wait, why would that possibly make Dora a bad person? Assuming she doesn't know Tai has deeper feelings for her, there's no reason NOT to have a casual fling with her except for the fact that it would make things weird with marten for both of them.

Dora knows Tai dates people casually, thus has experience in no-strings-attached sex, and thus should be a good candidate for that. She likes Tai as a person. She's just realized that she can't be dating anyone right now, but having casual sex is separate from that--she doesn't have to be celibate while she works on her issues. She has problems with insecurity and trust in relationships--in a truly casual FWB arrangement, her issues shouldn't apply. So assuming Dora doesn't know about Tai's feelings for her and finds her attractive, the Marten factor IS the only real reason not to hook up with her.

Oh please, Tai barely knows her.  It's all about looks as Tai is an horny, immature little girl.

I don't understand why everyone is acting like Tai is completely incapable of serious relationships. If you recall when she was first introduced, Tai was the one WANTING to have a serious, committed relationship with a girl who only did poly arrangements. Since the casual-relationship model was the prevalent state of things at her school, Tai gave up on having a serious relationship and went along with the flow, eventually getting a bit caught up in it, but it never really made her happy. And recently she's been thinking about how it hasn't really made her happy and how she really wants a serious relationship--which is in fact what she wanted all along. Yes, she's not the most mature person, and that certainly played out in her past sexual relationships. But she was a college student and experimenting--almost no one is mature in that situation! Poly relationships are very difficult to conduct without drama unless you have a fair amount of relationship experience, so the fact that Tai's had drama simply says that she's normal, not that she's spectacularly immature. It's kind of like calling a beginning gymnast a klutz because they had no one to teach them the basics and started trying to perform advanced maneuvers right off the bat instead. And actually a lot of times when we heard about relationship drama in relation to her, Tai was talking about other people.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #385 on: 14 Jul 2011, 22:14 »

Unfortunately since Tai DOES have deeper feelings for Dora and wants a serious committed relationship, having a fling with Dora would be a bad idea for Tai, and ultimately for Dora as well. Sure, it'd be cool for Dora at first, but once Tai's deeper feelings came out Much Drama would ensue. It would end up being a disaster for both of them. Of course, it'd be quite entertaining for most of us readers, but I'm not sure Jeph would enjoy drawing it...
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #386 on: 14 Jul 2011, 22:23 »

I just want to add to JackFaerie's good post that if you believe that Dora even suggested that awkwardness between Tai and Marten was the only reason to not have casual sex with Tai, then you are reading something that simply isn't there. She's not even describing her own motivations at all. She is just (incorrectly as it happens) interpreting Tai's*.

So, please, go ahead and like Dora again. You know you want to.

* Unless you believe the theory that Dora is being super tactful, in which case she's not even stating that.

guayec

• Plantmonster
    • the underman forever
« Reply #387 on: 14 Jul 2011, 23:19 »

Wait, why would that possibly make Dora a bad person? Assuming she doesn't know Tai has deeper feelings for her, there's no reason NOT to have a casual fling with her except for the fact that it would make things weird with marten for both of them.

i know, i know. it is just a very personal approach: i dont really 'get' casual sex, and i usually dont like people that are into it. im not judging or anything, is just a visceral thing. and i dont think dora is a bad person, but ive come to like her less and less since she broke up with marten. for me that is still not resolved, and i think a casual fling would cause as much damage at this point as a more serious commitment. but thats my take on feelings and emotions.

(please notice the words 'personal', 'usually', 'not' and 'my')

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #388 on: 14 Jul 2011, 23:35 »

Yeah, and it seems like Dora has her own different reasons--maybe although she thinks Tai is cute, she just doesn't think of her "that way," maybe she doesn't want to get involved with someone so much younger, maybe although she technically could have a sex-only arrangement right now, she doesn't actually want to and would rather take the time to set her head straight without bringing anything else into the mix... but if Dora felt comfortable having a purely casual arrangement right now and was into Tai that way, there'd be no problem with it except for the Issue of Marten.

This would only be true, of course, if Tai weren't hardcore crushing on Dora. As it is, getting involved with Tai would be a terrible idea. But we're not sure how aware Dora is of the extent of Tai's attraction to her.

Heck, right now I think it may well do Marten some good to get some sort of casual thing going. It would probably melt his brain to have sex with a girl he's not In A Relationship with, but it could be good for him to learn that he doesn't have to give his heart and balls to every girl he sleeps with. Might allow him to be a little more clear-sighted with his emotions and fine-tune his selection process for next time.  (I'm not saying it's a bad thing to only want serious relationships, the way Marten seems to, but that it's better to find people who are truly good for you and get into serious relationships with them, rather than committing to whoever you happen to be dating at the time and then clinging to them come hell or high water.)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #389 on: 15 Jul 2011, 00:06 »

It may do Marten some good to have a casual fling, but he couldn't initiate such a thing even if he wanted to-a Casanova he most certainly ain't. It'd have to be some aggressive lady throwing herself at him-might happen at the party, if he actually goes back inside...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #390 on: 15 Jul 2011, 00:23 »

I think it would do Marten better to spend some time focused on his own goals, than to look for a casual fling.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #391 on: 15 Jul 2011, 00:35 »

And in the interview recently posted, Jeph says that he has in mind for Marten to do that.

Quote from: Jeph
suddenly you’re 25, or 29, and you haven’t really “done anything” with your life, and you’re not entirely sure how that happened. And that’s something I’m planning on exploring more in the relatively near future, with Marten in particular.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 00:40 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #392 on: 15 Jul 2011, 00:50 »

Yeah, I think it's far more likely that Marten will actually (re)discover some deeper goals for his life (like maybe getting back into music?), than him ending up having a fling. He couldn't make the fling happen if he wanted to, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to anyway.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #393 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:44 »

How anti-climatic end to the week. "Oh, my legs are numb."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #394 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:03 »

But as the caterwauling subsides, the forum can become Zen-contented.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #395 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:06 »

I thought this was perfect. It's Faye and Marten sitting together and talking. To me it kind of ties the whole thing together, and gives it a "things are getting back to normal" type of finality. Can't wait to see what Jeph has coming up next, but I suppose I'll have to. Oh well then, I can't wait to see what the guest strips do. It's always an interesting week when guest strips abound.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #396 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:07 »

And we end the week with?

A repeat of the "Deep Sigh" comic.    - 3 (10.3%)
Faye and Angus makeout snark!    - 1 (3.4%)
OCDJ Hanners gets her next gig!    - 8 (27.6%)
Tai cries herself to sleep    - 3 (10.3%)
Marigold vs. Dale - at a house party?    - 4 (13.8%)
Marten cries himself to sleep.    - 1 (3.4%)
Dora cries herself to sleep.    - 0 (0%)
Pintsize cries himself to sleep.    - 4 (13.8%)
Sven joins a monastery.    - 3 (10.3%)
Post-party waffles.    - 2 (6.9%)

Total Voters: 29

Okay, now I believe that Jeph really does read the forums. He did NONE of the ABOVE.

Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #397 on: 15 Jul 2011, 07:58 »

How anti-climatic end to the week. "Oh, my legs are numb."

Kind of a metaphor, really. Marten would like to join the party -- better himself -- but his motivation is asleep.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #398 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:00 »

i assume dora is joking? about that being the (only?) reason to not have casual sex with tai?
i wanna think she is joking.
i wanna like dora again.

Dora knows Tai dates people casually, thus has experience in no-strings-attached sex, and thus should be a good candidate for that. She likes Tai as a person. She's just realized that she can't be dating anyone right now, but having casual sex is separate from that--she doesn't have to be celibate while she works on her issues. She has problems with insecurity and trust in relationships--in a truly casual FWB arrangement, her issues shouldn't apply. So assuming Dora doesn't know about Tai's feelings for her and finds her attractive, the Marten factor IS the only real reason not to hook up with her.

Oh please, Tai barely knows her.  It's all about looks as Tai is an horny, immature little girl.

I don't understand why everyone is acting like Tai is completely incapable of serious relationships. If you recall when she was first introduced, Tai was the one WANTING to have a serious, committed relationship with a girl who only did poly arrangements. Since the casual-relationship model was the prevalent state of things at her school, Tai gave up on having a serious relationship and went along with the flow, eventually getting a bit caught up in it, but it never really made her happy. And recently she's been thinking about how it hasn't really made her happy and how she really wants a serious relationship--which is in fact what she wanted all along. Yes, she's not the most mature person, and that certainly played out in her past sexual relationships. But she was a college student and experimenting--almost no one is mature in that situation! Poly relationships are very difficult to conduct without drama unless you have a fair amount of relationship experience, so the fact that Tai's had drama simply says that she's normal, not that she's spectacularly immature. It's kind of like calling a beginning gymnast a klutz because they had no one to teach them the basics and started trying to perform advanced maneuvers right off the bat instead. And actually a lot of times when we heard about relationship drama in relation to her, Tai was talking about other people.

Our Tai experiences include trying to be naked during an apartment move, showing off her vagina, getting drunk and hopping on people...

Tai, like many people, say one thing but do something else.  But I'm not mad about that, I'm mad that she shows no respect for Marten who is her one true friend in the group.  She does not love Dora, it is a crush.  She barely knows Dora.  She could just wait a while and not stab her friend in the back.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #399 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:13 »

Our Tai experiences include trying to be naked during an apartment move, showing off her vagina, getting drunk and hopping on people...

Tai, like many people, say one thing but do something else.  But I'm not mad about that, I'm mad that she shows no respect for Marten who is her one true friend in the group.  She does not love Dora, it is a crush.  She barely knows Dora.  She could just wait a while and not stab her friend in the back.
None of those things are indicative of an inability to maintain a monogamous relationship. More an indication of an enjoyment of drunken buffoonery than anything else, and also a general lack of modesty or shame in her body.

Tequlla makes Tai's clothes fall off. That's all.

Anyway unlike the rest of the cast Tai's just a girl. Young, immature, she lives in another world entirely. I mean we've gone in depth into the fact that her life is all college drama and hormonal barely adults trading partners. A crush is a huge deal for people in that age demographic. She's probably never even dated anyone exclusively for more than a few months. Might not even actually have experienced love as such yet. All just part of the journey. What you describe as a stab in the back I'm sure she sees as nothing quite so noteworthy, and what you describe as a crush I'm sure she doesn't view as quite so insignificant. It's a difference of perspective here.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up