THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THIS week's MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Catching Up On The Porch
- 3 (8.1%)
"I've never really been friends with an ex before."
- 0 (0%)
"I won't have to drag your body out to the old quarry."
- 0 (0%)
Dora makes her entrance!
- 4 (10.8%)
"We saw your friends watching you and thought something interesting was going on."
- 3 (8.1%)
THOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMP
- 3 (8.1%)
"#### OFF I'M BUSY" (oops!)
- 4 (10.8%)
DJ OCDee-Liteful!
- 3 (8.1%)
JUST NOD YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND TO CLICK THINGS
- 7 (18.9%)
Really nice guy looking for a relationship.
- 1 (2.7%)
Casual sex?
- 0 (0%)
Stammering Blushing Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I know, you work with Marten. It'd be weird."
- 2 (5.4%)
"Right." (sad Tai)
- 1 (2.7%)
"sit out here and look all Zen-contented"
- 2 (5.4%)
"...both my legs are asleep."
- 4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)  (Read 108263 times)

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT: 11-15 July 2011 (1966-1970)
« Reply #400 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:30 »

Our Tai experiences include trying to be naked during an apartment move, showing off her vagina, getting drunk and hopping on people...

Tai, like many people, say one thing but do something else.  But I'm not mad about that, I'm mad that she shows no respect for Marten who is her one true friend in the group.  She does not love Dora, it is a crush.  She barely knows Dora.  She could just wait a while and not stab her friend in the back.
None of those things are indicative of an inability to maintain a monogamous relationship. More an indication of an enjoyment of drunken buffoonery than anything else, and also a general lack of modesty or shame in her body.

Tequlla makes Tai's clothes fall off. That's all.

Anyway unlike the rest of the cast Tai's just a girl. Young, immature, she lives in another world entirely. I mean we've gone in depth into the fact that her life is all college drama and hormonal barely adults trading partners. A crush is a huge deal for people in that age demographic. She's probably never even dated anyone exclusively for more than a few months. Might not even actually have experienced love as such yet. All just part of the journey. What you describe as a stab in the back I'm sure she sees as nothing quite so noteworthy, and what you describe as a crush I'm sure she doesn't view as quite so insignificant. It's a difference of perspective here.

Her clothes fall off when she's around Dora, sober or not.  Her line of thinking seems to be that getting naked will make Dora want to have sex with her.  It's pathetic in a disturbing way.

At least you agree she's young and immature unlike some other people.  I just find that annoying...she's either a horrible friend, an awful comic relief character, or both.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #401 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:51 »

Her clothes fall off when she's around Dora, sober or not.  Her line of thinking seems to be that getting naked will make Dora want to have sex with her.  It's pathetic in a disturbing way.

At least you agree she's young and immature unlike some other people.  I just find that annoying...she's either a horrible friend, an awful comic relief character, or both.

Her clothes fall when she's drunk. Of the three times when Tai has removed her clothes in the comic, two of them have involved her being completely and utterly smashed. Her removing her top at Dora's new place was just another mark of her impulsiveness. This was a woman who, literally on the spur of the moment, thought it would be a good idea to get her hood pierced.

She's dealing with new ideas and new feelings, and when Tai acts on them she does end up with her foot in her mouth. As it is at the moment, thats fine. Tai is still a kid, despite being in college, so yeah, she should be immature and leaping before looking. The only time a college student should be mature is when they're over the age of 23.  :laugh:

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #402 on: 15 Jul 2011, 09:12 »

I don't understand why everyone is acting like Tai is completely incapable of serious relationships. If you recall when she was first introduced, Tai was the one WANTING to have a serious, committed relationship with a girl who only did poly arrangements.

In case anyone wants the archive reference, it is here and in the next two strips.

This, from one of our earliest encounters with her, demonstrates that Tai is not a polyamorist, and can hold desires for a monogamous relationship. She's lustdriven and immature, and she's certainly not opposed to casual flings after having conformed to the Smif standard, but she has higher ideals, and this isn't the first time she's lusted after someone in such a way. It is lust though, and I think she'd struggle with the emotional side of a long-term relationship. But so do most people at this age. They still want it nonetheless, even if they don't realise the difficulty, and they still attempt it, but not normally with someone so much older than them.

It's not just that Dora is older. It's that she has crossed the threshold of maturity while Tai is still trying to break down the door with her clitoris. If they were each a few years older I reckon it'd be a lot more workable, despite the age gap being the same. On the whole, as much as I think Tai would be willing to commit to monogamy and really does want that, Dora is not the best person for her to be crushing on. It'll never happen.

So yeah, my opinion on Tai is that she is foolish and immature, but she's not some evil-seductress-devil-slut-from-hell or whatever some people seem to think she is, and there are way worse people than her in that Sapphic free-for-all they call a college.

She's dealing with new ideas and new feelings, and when Tai acts on them she does end up with her foot in her mouth. As it is at the moment, thats fine. Tai is still a kid, despite being in college, so yeah, she should be immature and leaping before looking. The only time a college student should be mature is when they're over the age of 23.  :laugh:

Good point. Her actions are an accurate portrayal of character type. She's a young person who is impulsive and whose behaviour is lacking in wisdom. You may as well complain that your dog can't read.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #403 on: 15 Jul 2011, 09:16 »

(changed my mind, sorry.)

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #404 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:13 »

I hate it when both legs fall asleep. It's such a weird feeling....you have to experience it to understand.

My guess is that Jeph wanted to put things on hold in a sensible manner by ending the week like this. Now I wonder what the guest week will entail. Anyone know the lineup for the guests?
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

tjradcliffe

• Plantmonster
    • TJRadcliffe
« Reply #405 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:17 »

On the whole, as much as I think Tai would be willing to commit to monogamy and really does want that, Dora is not the best person for her to be crushing on. It'll never happen.

The essence of good drama is creating characters your reader will care about and then doing terrible things to them, so I'm not sure that a Dora/Tai hookup being a bad thing doesn't mean it'll never happen.  It could even make it more likely!

Illustrated Web serial novel! http://www.songsofalbion.com

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #406 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:06 »

I thought this was perfect. It's Faye and Marten sitting together and talking. To me it kind of ties the whole thing together, and gives it a "things are getting back to normal" type of finality. Can't wait to see what Jeph has coming up next, but I suppose I'll have to. Oh well then, I can't wait to see what the guest strips do. It's always an interesting week when guest strips abound.

I agree, it was a really great wrap up (assuming this is the end of the "breakup" story line). To me, it would have been really cool if they had all left together but that might be a little cheesy.

"All's quiet now" Is how I'd describe it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #407 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:08 »

Whenever someone says things are "quiet" in a movie or TV show they immediately follow it up with "Too quiet". I wonder what's going to happen next.

Possibly just some wacky banter: Jeph has said he prefers that over writing drama.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cybit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #408 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:40 »

I actually think it was the perfect ending; and one that made me feel somewhat good inside, which is something QC needs.  It needs its ups and downs, it's funny moments balanced out by the drama, and vice versa.  It puts the focus squarely back on the two central characters, Marten and Faye, and us watching their crazy journey through life together.

As for the entire being 25, and finding out that you don't feel like you've done anything...to me, that's a perfect metaphor for my life, as well as many my age (I'm 26).  The trick isn't that I haven't done anything..it's that I don't feel like I've done anything, and then the true question becomes, what is that "something" that will make me feel like I've been useful with my life.  I'm really excited to see QC go down that path.   

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #409 on: 15 Jul 2011, 13:38 »

I know that at times it seems like WWE writes their story lines to in cycles using Wrestlemania as the chance to end and begin story lines.

I wonder if Jeff uses Comic Con or anything like that to time his story lines?

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #410 on: 15 Jul 2011, 13:48 »

But as the caterwauling subsides, the forum can become Zen-contented.

Calm and zensible, that's us?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #411 on: 15 Jul 2011, 16:33 »

I hate it when both legs fall asleep. It's such a weird feeling....you have to experience it to understand.
I don't quite understand why Marten's legs have gone to sleep anyway. he doesn't appear to be sitting in a position where it would happen. His jeans must be very, very tight.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #412 on: 15 Jul 2011, 16:37 »

And on Monday we'll see Faye carrying Marten inside.   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #413 on: 15 Jul 2011, 16:51 »

Yes, everything is much karma now.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #414 on: 15 Jul 2011, 16:52 »

You're on a roll today, aren't you!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #415 on: 15 Jul 2011, 16:59 »

That one actually isn't so bad.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #416 on: 15 Jul 2011, 17:00 »

I don't quite understand why Marten's legs have gone to sleep anyway. he doesn't appear to be sitting in a position where it would happen. His jeans must be very, very tight.
He was probably sitting funny and the sleepy feeling traveled down to his legs.

That or your theory. I'm open to either option.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #417 on: 15 Jul 2011, 17:11 »

Now I wonder what the guest week will entail. Anyone know the lineup for the guests?

I'm betting on at least one strip each from Randy Mulholland, Danielle Corsetto and David Willis.

And Akima: (tosses her the tub of butter). You might need this, since you're on a roll.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 17:28 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #418 on: 15 Jul 2011, 17:28 »

I know he's friends with Randall Munroe who is in turn friends with Bill Amend, so...maybe Bill Amend?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #419 on: 15 Jul 2011, 17:28 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #420 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:03 »

And we end the week with?

A repeat of the "Deep Sigh" comic.    - 4 (10%)
Faye and Angus makeout snark!    - 2 (5%)
OCDJ Hanners gets her next gig!    - 10 (25%)
Tai cries herself to sleep    - 3 (7.5%)
Marigold vs. Dale - at a house party?    - 6 (15%)
Marten cries himself to sleep.    - 1 (2.5%)
Dora cries herself to sleep.    - 0 (0%)
Pintsize cries himself to sleep.    - 5 (12.5%)
Sven joins a monastery.    - 4 (10%)
Post-party waffles.    - 5 (12.5%)

Total Voters: 40
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #421 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:08 »

I for one would welcome a Corsetto QC, and enjoyed John Allison's (Scary Go Round) recent take on the CoD ladies and their business plan. Wouldn't mind seeing Paul Taylor give us a Wapsi look at QC, either.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Dust

« Reply #422 on: 15 Jul 2011, 19:58 »

That's what Chi said.

rje

« Reply #423 on: 15 Jul 2011, 20:41 »

How proper was it that the arc ended with Faye going out and talking to Marten? I mean that just felt very...yeah. Yeah that's how it all ends, with those two sitting on some steps quietly reflecting on everything and ending with a little joke.

Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #424 on: 16 Jul 2011, 02:41 »

Or maybe his legs were just really tired! They are out late. Maybe they've been dancing! Maybe they've had a hard day shelving books! Legs do a lot of work, you know, and some people just don't give them the appreciation they deserve! Sometimes, they just need to rest, and don't you dare start criticising them for it! Marten is lucky they take him anywhere at all, the bastard! Anyone who has a problem with them, you deal with me, because his legs need to sleep now! Leave Marten's legs alone!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #426 on: 16 Jul 2011, 09:55 »

How anti-climatic end to the week. "Oh, my legs are numb."

Kind of a metaphor, really. Marten would like to join the party -- better himself -- but his motivation is asleep.

woah, man

deep

Seriously though, having both legs asleep is pretty funny.  I was sitting at the computer once and decided to grab a snack, and found myself unable to leave the chair, so I posted on Facebook "I cannot physically get up from my chair.  Send help, and Oreos."

That's what Chi said.

Nice.

Marten wears tight pants

The plot thickens!

if you know what I mean
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2011, 09:57 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #427 on: 16 Jul 2011, 18:37 »

I see the poll, and I want to vote in it, but it's honestly far too difficult to choose between "#### OFF I'M BUSY" and "JUST NOD YOUR HEAD AND PRETEND TO CLICK THINGS".

I'm going to compromise and say that the moment of the week was all of Wednesday. :P
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up