THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 06:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeph on fan commentary  (Read 5282 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Jeph on fan commentary
« on: 12 Jul 2011, 23:30 »

Just FYI: http://jephjacques.tumblr.com/post/7564765018/feedback

The remarks about Tai refer to a discussion on Something Awful a couple of weeks ago.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tiogyr

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Jeph on fan commentary
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:11 »

Is the entire interview posted anywhere/does anyone know where it will eventually end up?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:51 »

Kinda guessed that was his opinion. I am glad he's realizing there are a lot of people who really are liking how he's handled things as of late.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

guayec

• Plantmonster
    • the underman forever
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:59 »

"omg Dora is such a bitch Marten needs to man up and slap that ho" :psyduck:

Tiogyr

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:10 »

Yeah, there was that and "What the fuck Dora you should wait until Marten is okay with it before dating Jim" in that one thread.  :psyduck:

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:37 »

Yeah, there was that and "What the fuck Dora you should wait until Marten is okay with it before dating Jim" in that one thread.  :psyduck:

Well do you blame them? I mean, she needs therapy for her relationship issues, not another boyfriend. Although credit where credit is due, she did say to just be friends at the end of the date.

Tiogyr

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:46 »

Well do you blame them? I mean, she needs therapy for her relationship issues, not another boyfriend. Although credit where credit is due, she did say to just be friends at the end of the date.

The issue there is that whether Marten is okay with Dora dating again or not is (and rightly so!) irrelevant to whether or not Dora herself is ready to date again, and only Dora can decide when she's ready to date again, etc.

Vista

• Plantmonster
  • The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:24 »

Misrepresentation isn't very cool.
"Himemiya, I've misjudged you!"
"My image of you is ruined!"

Tiogyr

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:37 »

What, exactly, is being misrepresented?

Or are you saying that people are misrepresenting Jeph's Tai character if they think Jeph is portraying her in a very negative way?
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 12:42 by Tiogyr »

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2011, 18:28 »

I like Tai. I wonder how many people that complain about her are the super political correct types.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2011, 18:37 »

I like Tai sometimes, sometimes not. Ditto other characters, in QC and elsewhere. I say, judge a character by how well he or she moves the story forward, not by how well he or she conforms to your politics. Ditto for the work as a whole, whether QC or any other work.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2011, 19:33 »

+1

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:11 »

I'm really happy Jeph is able to keep a distance to people's opinions about his work. If it were me, I probably would be forced not to read anything like these forums at all.

[grammar edit..]
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 12:27 by idontunderstand »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:02 »

Well, that's pretty much what he does - he rarely comes in here at all, less so now that when I joined a couple of years ago.  However, the forum he's quoting in the interview wasn't this one, and he may have come across it second hand rather than visiting himself. 

It would be hard for an artist like Jeph to completely avoid all commentary on his work, though. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:10 »

Ditto for the work as a whole, whether QC or any other work.
Does this rule apply to "Triumph Of The Will"? Or "Birth Of A Nation" for that matter? I think there are some works where the political and social context is simply an inescapable part of one's judgement of it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:42 »

It is possible to disagree with, or even be repulsed by, the viewpoint espoused in a particular piece of work, or by a character in said piece of work, and still judge how effectively the viewpoint is espoused, or the context reflected. Those criteria are still there to form a basis for judgment, even if for some people the overall message is -- understandably -- too repugnant to ignore.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2011, 10:20 »

It would be hard for an artist like Jeph to completely avoid all commentary on his work, though. 

I think it would be hard for almost any artist, of any medium. Obviously, l'art pour l'art, and all that, but most creative people still want to know what people think of their creations. I doubt that counting one's website hits/book sales/box office sales/whatever is enough for any artist to really feel appreciated. Every once in a while, every artist has to dive into the pool of public opinion to find out what people think, and there might be some unpleasant things floating in that water. It's very good if they can ignore the nasty stuff and learn to swim past it to find the sunken treasure of positive, thought-out, helpful comments under the icky pondweed of ignorance and bitching.

Yay metaphor.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2011, 20:28 »

I think it would be hard for almost any artist, of any medium. Obviously, l'art pour l'art, and all that, but most creative people still want to know what people think of their creations. I doubt that counting one's website hits/book sales/box office sales/whatever is enough for any artist to really feel appreciated. Every once in a while, every artist has to dive into the pool of public opinion to find out what people think, and there might be some unpleasant things floating in that water. It's very good if they can ignore the nasty stuff and learn to swim past it to find the sunken treasure of positive, thought-out, helpful comments under the icky pondweed of ignorance and bitching.

Yay metaphor.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's criticism -- measuring the work against a standard, driven by knowledge of and/or love for the medium -- and there's just plain tearing down. As I told one caller who didn't like what I had to say in one of my newspaper toons a longtime ago, "Sir,
'You suck' doesn't give me much to work with."

There was an early QC strip in which Jeph had Faye deliver some insightful criticism of criticism.
This one:
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=323
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2011, 20:43 by DSL »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2011, 20:44 »

323?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jul 2011, 20:49 »

Yeah.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2011, 22:45 »

omg Dora is such a bitch Marten needs to man up and slap that ho

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2011, 00:02 »

*yawn* 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2011, 12:41 »

There's only one thing worse than QC fans causing the uproars they do on these forums. And that's no one caring enough to post anything.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera
Pages: [1]   Go Up