THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sketchbook dump  (Read 11764 times)

ridingonemptytrains

• Not quite a lurker
Sketchbook dump
« on: 20 Jul 2011, 15:15 »

Ok so the other day I realized I haven't really uploaded anything anywhere for the last year and a half. This made me sad so I started flipping through the last two sketchbooks I filled and found at least a few things that were usable and not just me trying to figure out how to draw hair again after my last hiatus. Anyway, its all pretty basic stuff but opinions and criticism on my chicken scratch would still be welcome if you could spare the time.

This is Kom, a main character from this webcomic project I'm working on. She's a ruskling which is basically a human with a rat-like tail and sharp teeth. She lost her tail so she pretty much gets mistaken for a human whenever she isn't grinning like a lunatic.

The second of the two main characters. Megan is Kom's partner/boss and I haven't thought of a good name for her species yet.

Dorothy is another pretty important character. Shes got a lot of prosthetics going on with both of her arms and legs being mechanical as well as her right eye. This picture might seem really inconsistent but she really just changes her look a whole lot over the course of the story. The bottom-middle picture is of her sporting a more realistic bionic eye and I guess Kom with her old haircut snuck on there too.

Dorothy again. Interchangeable limbs are fun, especially when they are chickenlegs.

Mixed characters this time. The story I'm working on is called Kicks by the way thats not just a random word they're jumping around behind there.

I should have a few more on the way once my scanner stops being a butt.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
Re: Sketchbook dump
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2011, 00:55 »

I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

ridingonemptytrains

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2011, 20:35 »

Why, thank you! Nothing like a newsletter but I've got a deviantart over here if you're interested.

http://ridingonemptytrains.deviantart.com/

More stuff coming as I scan it.

I don't draw big things very often so I thought I'd give it a try. This one makes Kom look tiny but Megan is just kind of raised up a bit there. She actually is the taller of the two but only by about 3 inches or so. Take the "coming soon!" bit with mountainous piles of salt by the way.

I can't believe how smudgy this thing is augghh

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2011, 14:35 »

it also appears that your characters have some lazy eyes
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

ridingonemptytrains

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:59 »

it also appears that your characters have some lazy eyes

Hah, its more like I get lazy and fall back on the same facial expression way too often.

Here's a few more bits and pieces:

Oh god look at that right leg. This picture is a good example of me having no idea what I'm going for when I start drawing and continuing to have no idea as I do it. The anatomy is all over the place, I couldn't tell you what Kom is even doing up there and the whole thing looks weird but I had fun drawing it. Perhaps less Lucozade for me in the future though.

Just another random Dorothy sketch. Remember, kids! If you're too lazy to draw something properly just wrap it in bandages!

In the original Kicks storyline Dorothy was kind of a minor character and this is pretty much what she looked like. She was a 10-12 year old kid living with her parents whose arms and legs hadn't developed properly in the womb and she had the prosthetics all her life whereas today's Dorothy is about 21 by the time the story takes place and got the prosthetics after an accident as a teenager. So yeah, totally different characters basically.

ridingonemptytrains

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2012, 11:12 »

OK, so I did a few more things. Crappier scanner this time and some of them are kind of chewed up from too much eraser use but here they are anyway.

Top two are of Dorothy. Yes, all of that Saw movie stuff in the top left folds away into her arm when she's done cutting stuff up with it. I have sort of a long-distance relationship with realism so Dorothy works more like a terrifying Inspector Gadget. The bottom three are of Kom because I've been making hundreds of tiny, OCD-fuelled changes to her design lately.

Dorothy, Kom pre-haircut and Gretel from the Timesplitters videogames (doesn't really look anything like her because my Gamecube is broken and there are barely any references for her).

More of Kom before Megan picks her out of the insane asylum she finds her in. The left is kind of an important moment in the story when Megan gets irritated trying to talk to someone wearing a muzzle and takes it off her. I know the hand doesn't actually look like its grasping anything but I'd drawn it like five times and I was getting bored. Remember what I said about me going slightly eraser crazy? Yeah, these two probably suffered the worst of that.

Big smiley Kom.

Sorceress lady.

More on the way once I finish defibrillating my scanner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up