• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best Thing About the Espressosaur Arc?

Watching Faye develop as a character.
- 5 (7.7%)
The cuteness of a dino-shaped coffee machine.
- 4 (6.2%)
Raven's genius defined!
- 14 (21.5%)
Brick joke!
- 4 (6.2%)
Douglas Adams reference FTW!
- 17 (26.2%)
Made me Google "Coolest Store in America".
- 0 (0%)
Made me Google "Parallel Entanglement Processing Core".
- 0 (0%)
Dora's new hairstyle FTW!
- 4 (6.2%)
Light-hearted bit after Teh Dramaz of Dora and Marten.
- 6 (9.2%)
Best thing? It's OVER.
- 3 (4.6%)
Where's the waffles?
- 5 (7.7%)
Multi-comic cross-over
- 3 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 25-29 July 2011 (1976-1980)  (Read 43332 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT: 25-29 July 2011 (1976-1980)
« Reply #150 on: 28 Jul 2011, 18:35 »

The Best of the Guests:

Chris Hallbeck, Maximumble and Book of Biff (Five minimalist strips)    - 3 (6%)
Dave Willis, Shortpacked and Dumbing of Age (Hanners and Buttwiping)    - 2 (4%)
Dave Kellett, Sheldon and Drive (Hanners' old friend DefenseNet-10)    - 3 (6%)
Evan Dahm, Rice Boy (Coffee of Doom Snapshot)    - 6 (12%)
Zach Weiner, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (Hannelore discovers Pintsize's Secret!)    - 9 (18%)
Danielle Corsetto, Girls With Slingshots (Marigold's Secret Drawer)    - 12 (24%)
Randy Milholland, Something*Positive (She's NOT PIZZA GIRL! Right, Garlic Bread Kitty?)    - 15 (30%)

Total Voters: 50

Not quite a landslide for RKM and his beard, but I think it's indicative of who we think does QC (almost) as good as Jeph.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

« Reply #151 on: 28 Jul 2011, 18:40 »

Eh, I voted for Corsetto, so I don't know the answer to my question myself. 3 votes isn't anything like or comparable to a landslide, though.

*Skims last page and a half, picks a subject*
I've always found it easy to detach a person from the works of said person; accordingly, I have both bought Card books and watched Cruise movies without reservation or influence and enjoyed them. I find the Empire duology more subtle and interesting than most observers apparently do, and liked the US as Roman Republic becoming the Roman Empire approach, with the twist of not presenting it as a Bad Thing (the game, by the way, is Shadow Complex and nearly completely unconnected). It was good literary candy, just like Crichton (before Next and State of Fear, where he forewent decent plotting for belittling real people and subjects); wrapped up neatly and tasty with some intriguing flavors/ideas, but to be eaten in moderation lest you get bloated on it, yet ready to fuel your mind if used sparingly. The only part of the plot that bugged me was his ongoing habit of making all viewpoint characters 'completely' able to see/understand/accept all sides of an issue, then come to conclusion important for the plot.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2011, 18:59 by westrim »

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #152 on: 28 Jul 2011, 22:56 »

I'll read the thread in a bit; the poll is most interesting, with that nice curve from least to most recent. Were the more recent ones really better, or do forumgoers just have short memories?

I think I'm biased. I've been reading Girls with Slingshots almost as long as Questionable content (about two years) and Something*Positive even longer (seven years)... so I'm a huge fan of Corsetto and Milholland, so I pretty much always think their stuff is gold.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #153 on: 29 Jul 2011, 00:48 »

I really hope today's strip doesn't suggest they are going to get back together. I don't think that's the case though. I wouldn't mind if they had some hot post-breakup sex though, but the last thing either of them need is to be back in the relationship.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #154 on: 29 Jul 2011, 00:50 »

I remember those awkward thoughts - but there are some things you just don't bring up in conversation, you know?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #155 on: 29 Jul 2011, 00:51 »

For comic #1980...  (20 more to go!  Party like it's comic Number 1999!)

1. Artwise...  Is Marten's hair also different now (longer) as well?  It seems to me to reflect Dora's new style, which I have decided I do like.

2. Also realized the double-pun sexual-innuendo punchline of the comic title...  *groan* :psyduck:

3. I do hope that Marten, or others of the QC-CoD cast, will continue to visit The Secret Bakery, &/or vice-versa.

4. pwhodges... Bringing up bad sex in conversation, probably agreed.  Good sex, on the other hand... :evil:
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 10:37 by pendrake »

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #156 on: 29 Jul 2011, 00:53 »

Nah, they're not gonna get back together. I was the same way with my first ex-girlfriend in college; she ended it, we stayed good friends for the rest of the year, and the very first time we hung out we both thought of the last time we had sex. Pretty common when you switch abruptly from intimate partners to platonic friends.

Of course, my ex dropped out of school the next year, joined the Navy, and is now in West Virginia, so hopefully Dora's isn't *exactly* like my ex.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

God damnit people!

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #157 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:05 »

how long till:
Dora: ohmygod, you're doing it again. Look, I know that night was good... f...!!! Thanks! Now I'm thinking about it.
Marten: ...but...
Dora: Shut it, creep.
Pintsize: Oh you mean that night: [starting to read the transcript]
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 01:08 by michael28 »
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #158 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:10 »

Quantum entanglement is a physics thing, and being concerned (loosely!) with action at a distance is appropriate to refer to here.  It's a compsci thing only to the extent that it might be involved in some aspects of quantum computing.

Having degrees in both, what it sounds like to me is a device for implementing quantum circuits... but that doesn't actually make sense for what it did.  Hmm.  Maybe I shouldn't try to analyze technobabble from a slice-of-life webcomic in a down-soft scifi setting.

The trick is to have sex with someone else.  Unfortunately, Cosette is taken now, Jim refused, and Tai... uh... what she did.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 01:33 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #159 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:27 »

Nah, they're not gonna get back together. I was the same way with my first ex-girlfriend in college; she ended it, we stayed good friends for the rest of the year, and the very first time we hung out we both thought of the last time we had sex. Pretty common when you switch abruptly from intimate partners to platonic friends.
Hmm. I've never really stayed friend with the people I dated, so...

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #160 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:28 »

Ooh, yeah. That was way better.

I lol'ed.  :lol:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #161 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:57 »

Boy, that last panel has got me thinking how the sex was.

Let's put this way: Has Veronica Vance pretty much turned off Marten to nearly every form of sex out there?   

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #162 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:06 »

I remember having the same discussion with my ex. Only we ended up boinking. And we didn't stay friends.  :|

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #163 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:42 »

But will Marten get free coffee again??
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #164 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:47 »

I was wondering that myself.  :psyduck:

Let's put this way: Has Veronica Vance pretty much turned off Marten to nearly every form of sex out there?   

Actually I was under the impression they had an active, healthy sex life, minus the Slayer mishap. Marten certainly wasn't above regularly having shower sex.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #165 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:10 »

Actually I was under the impression they had an active, healthy sex life, minus the Slayer mishap. Marten certainly wasn't above regularly having shower sex.

I thought in one strip Dora said that Marten viewed sex in....Utilitarian terms? (and I can't find the ^^&^$ strip....)

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #166 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:44 »

I remember having the same discussion with my ex. Only we ended up boinking. And we didn't stay friends.  :|

Urgh, been there, done that...  in two different relationships.  :|  It's not a good idea, IMO; generally speaking, if you've decided to break up with someone, the break-up happened for a reason and getting back together will just bring back all the old problems.

*Sigh*...  And now, I'm depressing myself by thinking about the last time I had sex with my...  er...  I was going to say "girlfriend" but it would be more accurate to say my "it's complicated."  :p

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #167 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:24 »

Of course, my ex dropped out of school the next year, joined the Navy, and is now in West Virginia, so hopefully Dora's isn't *exactly* like my ex.

Hopefully - the Army is where its at.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #168 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:28 »

4. pwhodges... Bringing up bad sex in conversation, probably agreed.  Good sex, on the other hand... :evil:

Bringing up good sex once bought me nearly 4 months of "friends with benefits" status with one of my ex's. Never underestimate the power of passion! :D

(And yes, we're still friends - she's one of my best, and she rocks)

IronCoyote

« Reply #169 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:06 »

I have seen a lot of gripes about Dora in the past here... I agree to most of them. But what really bugs me now is look at her! She's looking better than she ever has, and Martin still looks.tired and ragged over it all. It should be the other way around!  So I guess this is another gripe about Martin too. I bet if he grew a pair and cleaned up he could attract more girls then Sven and have his pick of a single relationship like he's always wanted.  Funny how its opposite for Dora, attracting guys and not wanting them >.>; .

Hear hear for Jeph,  all thse character 'faults' (traits?) Make this interesting to read, but maybe they all need to read welcomes too to learn the same lessons we are :p

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #170 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:22 »

But will Marten get free coffee again??

At the very least, I'd assume he can hang out there and get the old nostalgic CoD taste he missed. Plus he doesn't have to deal with Padma/Renee's ball-busting anymore at... The Secret Bakery? What was that other place again? It's 9 am here.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #171 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:27 »

Marten still looks tired and ragged over it all.

I think there's something about the 'TEH' shirts that just makes Marten look naturally tired or ragged. Potentially the colour...

Marten's certainly getting better though. He doesn't have bags under his eyes nearly as much as he used to, and he's smiling for half the comic. I like to think that it's only half the comic because a smile doesn't fit well with that kind of deadpan punchline.

slingstone

• Not quite a lurker
    • Seek Arete
« Reply #172 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:33 »

Hopefully - the Army is where its at.

hooah.

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #173 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:37 »

I've always found that sex with an Ex (that doesn't blow-up in your face later) requires that you've both had sex with others first sometime after the break-up. The passage of time in-between is key along with only hooking up on rare occasions. The period is usually short lived and only exist during those times when both parties are between relationships.
This is of course based solely on my own personal experience. :|

(There may be side-effects. Other results may apply. Consult your physician if you have questions.)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #174 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:23 »

I really like Dora's hair in this strip. Not sure why, it seems to suit her really well to me.

azurefirem

• Plantmonster
  • a mysterious irrelephant
« Reply #175 on: 29 Jul 2011, 08:45 »

I like how Marten just corrects her that he's actually thinking about the second-to-last time they had sex and then she agrees by saying it was a lot better than the last time. XD
Quote from: KickThatBathProf
Fun Fact:  You can shower and brush your teeth simultaneously

oh my god can i touch you???

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #176 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:51 »

I thought in one strip Dora said that Marten viewed sex in....Utilitarian terms? (and I can't find the ^^&^$ strip....)

If I recall Correctly that wasn't sex but actually Bondage specifically. He didn't seem to see any particular appeal in it but still had a pretty firm mastery of all the knots and their various applications. The punchline was him giving a brief tutorial to Tai, who was much more excited about this information than Marten was. I don't think we've seen any indication that the man doesn't enjoy himself some sex though. He's just been desensitized to the bdsm scene.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #177 on: 29 Jul 2011, 10:42 »

Ah my birthyear comic! I was waiting for this one
Aw kind of plain, but painfully relevant
:( now I has a sad

comic was funny tho, and true lol

thinking about the last sex with the ex isn't a pleasant occurrence for me but that's probably because I've been single since and haven't hooked up with anyone to get him out of my system, so to speak
 one of these days it will be though! lookin forward to that
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #178 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:17 »

Who's in the crate, Dora?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #179 on: 29 Jul 2011, 13:43 »

Urgh, been there, done that...  in two different relationships.  :|  It's not a good idea, IMO; generally speaking, if you've decided to break up with someone, the break-up happened for a reason and getting back together will just bring back all the old problems.

*Sigh*...  And now, I'm depressing myself by thinking about the last time I had sex with my...  er...  I was going to say "girlfriend" but it would be more accurate to say my "it's complicated."  :p

Yur yur, never a good idea. Sadly, I think that's what makes it appealing. :psyduck: Alas, she met somebody a month later and I was hurt, she was embarrased and awkward and couldn't stay friends. Dunno how Marten deals with Dora dating. I sure couldn't/wouldn't.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #180 on: 29 Jul 2011, 13:55 »

Who's in the crate, Dora?

Jim.  She's saving him for later...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #181 on: 29 Jul 2011, 14:35 »

He fit in that crate? Man, he must be a slim Jim.

oh god what have I done
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #182 on: 29 Jul 2011, 14:45 »

oh god what have I done
*badumtish* Now go sit in the corner for the next hour as punishment.

Anyhew, on that note, another week in QC ends on an awkward note. How many times has that happened? My gut says we've reached the "too many to count, bub" stage.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #183 on: 29 Jul 2011, 15:10 »

oh god what have I done

Raven built the crate. It's bigger on the inside. Dora's taking it to Hanners, who will paint it blue and stencil the words POLICE PUBLIC CALL BOX on the side.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #184 on: 29 Jul 2011, 15:45 »

Well, on the upside the awkwardness is synchronized.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #185 on: 29 Jul 2011, 16:45 »

Synchronized Awkwardness?  That should be an Olympic sport. 

The QC team could go for the gold... the "backwash" incident at the bar comes to mind, too. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #186 on: 29 Jul 2011, 19:40 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #187 on: 29 Jul 2011, 20:22 »

I've always found that sex with an Ex (that doesn't blow-up in your face later)

Does not compute.  Does not compute.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #188 on: 29 Jul 2011, 20:26 »

She needs them to make a broom.
You win so hard.
Just got home from Toronto and saw this, so...thanks :D
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #189 on: 29 Jul 2011, 20:58 »

Synchronized Awkwardness?  That should be an Olympic sport.
Not sure if want....

Also, congrats to Jeph for finishing Volume 2!
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #190 on: 30 Jul 2011, 22:12 »

Synchronized Awkwardness?

Brought to you by quantum entanglement. :)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #191 on: 30 Jul 2011, 22:27 »

Just seven more strips until I'm born!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #192 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:35 »

Best Thing About the Espressosaur Arc?

Watching Faye develop as a character.    - 4 (7.1%)
The cuteness of a dino-shaped coffee machine.    - 4 (7.1%)
Raven's genius defined!    - 12 (21.4%)
Brick joke!    - 4 (7.1%)
Douglas Adams reference FTW!    - 15 (26.8%)
Made me Google "Coolest Store in America".    - 0 (0%)
Made me Google "Parallel Entanglement Processing Core".    - 0 (0%)
Dora's new hairstyle FTW!    - 2 (3.6%)
Light-hearted bit after Teh Dramaz of Dora and Marten.    - 6 (10.7%)
Best thing? It's OVER.    - 2 (3.6%)
Where's the waffles?    - 4 (7.1%)
Multi-comic cross-over    - 3 (5.4%)

Total Voters: 56
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #193 on: 31 Jul 2011, 19:42 »

You know, it took me a few looks to realize something:

That's NOT Penelope in the final panel of Randy Milholland's guest strip.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #194 on: 31 Jul 2011, 21:24 »

Nope, not Pen-Pen at all.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #195 on: 31 Jul 2011, 21:39 »

And what's worse is, Akima picked up on it and I never realized it.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #196 on: 01 Aug 2011, 07:39 »

Took me a while, too.
But that would be an ... Interesting ... Pizza Girl. Something along the lines of William Dozier's idea of Batman:
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=593

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #197 on: 01 Aug 2011, 10:31 »

Man!  That makes it way funnier than just "Penelope is not Pizza Girl OH WAIT YES SHE IS HAHAHA".  Nice one, Milholland.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up